EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I think my router just shat itself
Waisztarroz
I love democracy
posted 05-12-2002 05:58:00 PM
Ok, so my dad and I were working on moving a CAT5 cable up to my mom's laptop so she can access the cable modem, but we stopped working on it for a bit. It was left plugged in to the router on one end and exposed in the garage in the other. I included this part because I'm not sure if that could be what caused it.

Okay, so a little later, my dad tries to use his computer/internet, which is and has been happily working with the router for some time. All of a sudden, he can't access the internet, and upon him trying, it cuts me off, too. I tried unplugging his CAT5 and accessing the router, but it won't let me. I absolutely cannot access it, even though the LEDs come on for my computer and my dad's when they were pluged in. I tried giving my dad cable access by plugging him directly into the modem, but his computer was too stupid to recognize it or something. I decided to plug mine into the modem and try to use it, which is what I am currently using.

Please help me.

Yes, that's right, hot live sex!
There's a raptor behind you.
Resident grammar whore.
Warning, flames imminent!
Krissy
POW LOOK LOOK YOU HAVE A TITLE NOW HAHAHAHAHAHAA!
posted 05-12-2002 06:03:52 PM
My router's breath smells like packets
Dymus Arindelil
I betcha its pink. Jania seems like the type to wear pink undies.
posted 05-12-2002 06:17:18 PM
no that's your brother, Seu. No good comes from any brothers.
I know what color underwear Jania wears. So there

Run through the cold of the night, as passion burns in your heart.
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark with eyes that watch the world

-"Small Two of Pieces"
Waisztarroz
I love democracy
posted 05-12-2002 06:26:36 PM
I'll set up the situation for you.

I had turned off DHCP through the explanation of how to get hosting to work. DHCP assigns IP addresses to every user.

Well, guess what happens when two users try to use it at the same time. I'll let your imagination do the rest.

Let me tell you, though, I was going through every possible cause before I realized what I had done and had to reset the modem back to factory defaults.

Resident grammar whore.
Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 05-12-2002 06:50:50 PM
Well duh, assign different IP adresses?
Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 05-12-2002 06:52:11 PM
quote:
Lord Tier had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Well duh, assign different IP adresses?

Cable companies dont like that, especially when you're only paying for one IP addy.

I get that impression from my DSL company, anyway.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
Maradon!
posted 05-12-2002 07:01:13 PM
quote:
Ah'Kiam thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
no that's your brother, Seu. No good comes from any brothers.

EAT PACKETS2WIN!!

Waisztarroz
I love democracy
posted 05-12-2002 07:05:02 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Captain Planet:
Cable companies dont like that, especially when you're only paying for one IP addy.

I get that impression from my DSL company, anyway.

He means on the LAN. It's already fixed (I fixed it when I last posted about), but what he means is give each comp a specified one for the LAN (e.g. 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101 etc) so that DHCP doesn't need to be used. It still only operates under the one WAN IP, though, which is what the router is assigned.

Resident grammar whore.
Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 05-12-2002 07:16:51 PM
I've found that Linksys routers don't cooperate with manually assigned IPs...

LAN DHCP shouldn't mess with WAN DHCP...

Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-12-2002 07:19:49 PM
Is it possible to connect just one single computer to the router and have the cable connection work?

Also, when you check winipcfg, what sort of IP addy are you getting?

And for your dad's computer to not be able to use the cable modem plugged up just to it sounds about right. Unless you tried to powercycle, then plugged his computer up to it. That cable modem is basically only "registered" with the other computer, so it will only respond to that one. Had a lot of problems with this with my mom's computer being the only one that could connect to our cable modem and mine couldn't, when our router stopped letting us both on at the same time.

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: Lyinar ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Naota Nandaba
posted 05-12-2002 07:20:44 PM
Yes, it is Lyinar.

Also, sometimes the router likes to use WEIRD subnet masks... =/

Only the ordinary.
Waisztarroz
I love democracy
posted 05-12-2002 07:26:40 PM
quote:
Lyinar had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Is it possible to connect just one single computer to the router and have the cable connection work?

Also, when you check winipcfg, what sort of IP addy are you getting?

And for your dad's computer to not be able to use the cable modem plugged up just to it sounds about right. Unless you tried to powercycle, then plugged his computer up to it. That cable modem is basically only "registered" with the other computer, so it will only respond to that one. Had a lot of problems with this with my mom's computer being the only one that could connect to our cable modem and mine couldn't, when our router stopped letting us both on at the same time.

Yes, you can use just one computer on a router. The IP you will get will be a LAN one, but you can still get connected to via your WAN one. I get 192.168.1.100 for my IP because that's how someone on my LAN would connect to me.

And Kegwen, what do you mean by not cooperate? As in not follow what numbers are given to it for IP or just doesn't like people specifying? I am specifying IP on this computer right now...

Resident grammar whore.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-12-2002 07:29:27 PM
I wasn't asking if you're able to period, Waist. I was asking were you able to in this situation.

You might want to check with your cable company, too. When they switched over to using DHCP here, I wasn't able to get the Linksys router working for anything, and it just stopped working exactly as you're describing, but would still connect to the first computer.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Waisztarroz
I love democracy
posted 05-12-2002 07:41:32 PM
quote:
Lyinar was listening to Cher while typing:
I wasn't asking if you're able to period, Waist. I was asking were you able to in this situation.

You might want to check with your cable company, too. When they switched over to using DHCP here, I wasn't able to get the Linksys router working for anything, and it just stopped working exactly as you're describing, but would still connect to the first computer.

Oh, before I fixed it, it was working without DHCP until my dad tried to use the internet while I was, at which point my router went into shock and died. Even after I disconnected him, it wouldn't respond to my computer. I had to restore factory defaults.

'Course, it's working fine now. I could turn DHCP back off, too, since I now have both computers (and soon my mother's laptop) set up to specifically request an IP.

The problem was that two computers tried to access information through one LAN IP. I can tell you that's not a good thing.

Resident grammar whore.
Rick Dar
Pancake
posted 05-12-2002 07:41:40 PM
Haiszt maiksz Waiszt

*grins widely*

----------------------------------
If you can't get there in time, yer not running fast enough.
Waisztarroz
I love democracy
posted 05-12-2002 07:44:43 PM
quote:
Rick Dar enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Haiszt maiksz Waiszt

*grins widely*

Ha ha Ja`Deth.

Resident grammar whore.
Rick Dar
Pancake
posted 05-12-2002 07:52:06 PM
*takes off the Ja`Deth costume*

whoops.

----------------------------------
If you can't get there in time, yer not running fast enough.
Naota Nandaba
posted 05-12-2002 07:53:26 PM
Soemtimes they simply... don't operate. I am forced to use WinXP ICS for my connection, and our router acts as a 100Mbit switch. DHCP interferes with ICS's DHCP... and since it gives itself priority over Windows... Yeah...

But that's not relevant in this case. Sometimes systems simply won't work without DHCP enabled on the router.

You could, in theory, do as I did. But in that case, your computer would have to be on 24/7... and any time you rebooted, everyone would lose their connection.

But at least it works... :\

Sorry I'm not being too helpful. I'm a bit fried right now... =/

Edit: ...Multiple computers + One LAN ip = death

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: Kegwen 2.0 ]

Only the ordinary.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-13-2002 06:11:37 AM
Some ISPs restrict your access to their network based on your MAC address. Our cable modem provider here does that. When Piper and I rearranged our LAN, we had to swap network cards around to get the one that works in our gateway machine.

The problem is that NAT routers obviously don't carry over the client's MAC, they come with their own MAC (which isn't the one the ISP will allow access to). There are some routers that have a "spoof MAC address" option, just have it spoof the MAC address of the good NIC and you're golden.

If you're getting data lights and such on the router, but just no data's going through, it sounds like this is what they might be doing.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: