EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A question.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-10-2002 11:37:38 AM
After reading Razor's thread, I realised something.

The thyroid gland controls one of the growth hormones, right?

What would happen if someone regularly started taking shots of growth hormones? Like, all the time?

Would they become like, total NBA material?

Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 05-10-2002 11:38:26 AM
I remember reading about this...I think it screws them up. Excess growth hormone is a bad thing, if I remember.
Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Maradon!
posted 05-10-2002 11:42:05 AM
Extra growth hormones is a very bad thing, since the same hormone responsible for growth is responsible for things like body mass, bone growth and density, etc.

More often than not, people with overactive thyroids have severe skeletal or weight problems. Only in extremely rare cases will an overactive thyroid produce a giant person, and even in those cases the giant person will almost always have some sort of medical issues.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-10-2002 11:43:35 AM
Excess ANY hormone is a bad. You're tampering with your preset biochemical cocktail. They used to say giving menopausal women hormones for the rest of their life had all these benefits, now it turns out it doesn't cause cancer or anything, but you're hyper-saturating your system with things that more or less addict your body to 'em.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 05-10-2002 02:29:49 PM
quote:
Maradön? wrote this stupid crap:
Only in extremely rare cases will an overactive thyroid produce a giant person, and even in those cases the giant person will almost always have some sort of medical issues.

And they will also possess a desire to kill, maim, and destroy.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 05-10-2002 06:13:21 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Khyron said:
What would happen if someone regularly started taking shots of growth hormones? Like, all the time?

Would they become like, total NBA material?

They would grow taller, yeah, but the stress on their body grows exponentially.

Same reason most people with Giants' (I forget the real name) disease don't live too long unless they receive constant medical attention.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
/dev/null
Pancake
posted 05-10-2002 06:17:58 PM
Pituatary Gland (at the base of the brain) controls Growth.

Thyroid controls 2 things. 1 thing it secretes is a horemone that helps control your metabilism. This is one of the contributing factors to my fatass-ism. I have an inactive Thyroid.

The second set of things it secrets helps keep the rest of the endocrine system in balance.

Too much of either is not really good.

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Lashanna
noob
posted 05-10-2002 06:23:05 PM
This is why the phrase "hormone imbalanace" refers to either an excess or a defficiency.
Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-10-2002 07:19:04 PM
Heh.. myself, I'm hypothyroid.

It is not too fun, if you ask me.. I mean, extreme mood swings sometimes, every once and a while you get to the point where you're listless, there IS a weight thing that factors into it, but I never really had much of a problem with that for some reason.

All in all.. its not a fun thing. I have to take medication for it for the rest of my life.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-10-2002 07:29:09 PM
quote:
Azakias attempted to be funny by writing:
Heh.. myself, I'm hypothyroid.

It is not too fun, if you ask me.. I mean, extreme mood swings sometimes, every once and a while you get to the point where you're listless, there IS a weight thing that factors into it, but I never really had much of a problem with that for some reason.

All in all.. its not a fun thing. I have to take medication for it for the rest of my life.

Yeah, you're basically the opposite of me.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Alaan
posted 05-10-2002 07:33:54 PM
Also, whenever one of those giants do come around, they always have really short life spans compared to "regular" people. SO, I don't see why you'd pump yourself up with them, since they long term hurt you more than short term gain.
Nith D'vaz
Pancake
posted 05-10-2002 10:23:49 PM
screw that, i want a robot body with a chainsaw hand and X-ray vision !
Wherever I go,
everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
Wherever I am,
anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home,
everyone is happy I am there.

-Robert L. Humphrey (warrior creed)
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: