EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: IDEA!!
Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-01-2002 03:55:53 PM
I've been considering changing the way linked accounts work to have it automatically link all accounts that have the same email address on file.

How does everyone feel about this? Does anyone have any reason why it shouldn't be this way?

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 05-01-2002 03:56:58 PM
Because then I shall always be reminded of the horribly failed joke that was FurryGoddess.
You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Suddar Williams
SUDAR WILAMS
posted 05-01-2002 03:57:07 PM
That'd be cool.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 05-01-2002 03:58:05 PM
That'd be good...it'd save you the trouble of having to link them yourself, and save us the trouble of asking you!
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
/dev/null
Pancake
posted 05-01-2002 03:59:43 PM
That's assuming that the same e-mail addresses was used.

But yes, it is a good idea.

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Alleria Qui'farush
Chica!
posted 05-01-2002 04:00:23 PM
Sounds good to me.
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-01-2002 04:02:30 PM
Good idea
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-01-2002 04:02:59 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why RPC wrote:
That's assuming that the same e-mail addresses was used.

But yes, it is a good idea.

ive got 2 or 3 different emails addys over my few accounts -- will any links that are already made be broken up if you do this?

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 05-01-2002 04:03:59 PM
Just set up some sort of system for us that WE use to link accounts... Example, we have the password for another account, we can link em.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 05-01-2002 04:04:46 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Black Mage wrote:
Just set up some sort of system for us that WE use to link accounts... Example, we have the password for another account, we can link em.
hey
Emily
Why's everybody always hittin on me?
posted 05-01-2002 04:36:21 PM
I second this motion.

P.S. ~> I want my old title back! It was sooo cool! ' ' ! Okay! That's all! Don't ban me!

Should've done something, but I've done it enough
By the way your hands were shaking
Rather waste some time with you

Should've said something, but I've said it enough
By the way my words were faded
Rather waste some time with you...

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 05-01-2002 04:39:24 PM
This is a great idea! This'd make things a lot easier for me!
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 05-01-2002 04:39:31 PM
Sounds good to me.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 05-01-2002 04:45:13 PM
Prefer the "if you have the password to the account, you can link it" thing, but yes, works.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-01-2002 05:01:30 PM
Sounds good to me, boss elf.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 05-01-2002 05:36:05 PM
good idea Drys
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 05-01-2002 05:39:16 PM
You're making it too easy to have multiple accounts. Even if they're not throwaways, you would end up with 10 people having a 100 personas! Gasp! I would be confused! I wouldn't know who to hit on or not! :P

But it's a very good idea.

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Mightion Defensor
posted 05-01-2002 07:19:04 PM
We like automatic.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 05-01-2002 07:30:03 PM
Sounds good.
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 05-01-2002 07:43:27 PM
Not like I used more than one linked account anyway.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-02-2002 01:50:28 AM
Good idea.
Rolin
Pancake
posted 05-02-2002 06:18:27 AM
This wouldn't have an impact on me as long as it worked to spec. However, there are a few things I'd like to bring up, for the general case. After all, as the holder of 8 accounts (I had 9, but gave one away), I have a fairly significant amount of information at my disposal.

>> The way accounts are linked now, they are all accessed from the lowest numbered account. Will this still apply with automatically linked accounts, or will they be accessable from any account in the linked combination? After all, some people have stopped using their earliest accounts, due to either lost passwords, identity changes, or on rare occasions, banning.
>> If people have used multiple email addresses to register, can they still request to link accounts from the two email addresses, or will they need to transfer all their accounts to one email address?
>> Will linked accounts be a feature enabled in someone's member profile(s), or will it occur automatically for everyone?
>> Will this have an impact on any information in the member profiles? For example, will everyone have to retype their sigs? If so, the idea may meet some resistance from people who have had to tweak their sigs for best fit or appearance.

If I think of any more, I'll let you know.

Rollin' rollin' rollin'
keep them doggies rollin'
boy my ass is swolen, rawhide!

The universe is obsolete.
Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 05-02-2002 01:13:32 PM
This would help a bit hon =) thanks =)
"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 05-02-2002 01:28:45 PM
That would work since a change in email address automatically causes a change in password.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-02-2002 03:35:56 PM
quote:
Murdoc [remote] had this to say about Tron:
The way accounts are linked now, they are all accessed from the lowest numbered account. Will this still apply with automatically linked accounts, or will they be accessable from any account in the linked combination?

All accounts will be accessible no matter which one you're logged in as. Technically I can do that now, but it requires me entering more records into the account link database.

quote:
If people have used multiple email addresses to register, can they still request to link accounts from the two email addresses, or will they need to transfer all their accounts to one email address?

I'm thinking after I put the change in to not do custom link requests anymore. The accounts should all belong to the same person (and hence the same email address), and you can always check the "make my email address private" if you want to hide the association.

quote:
Will linked accounts be a feature enabled in someone's member profile(s), or will it occur automatically for everyone?

It'll be automatic. All existing accounts will be automatically linked together and all new accounts will automatically link in, because I won't be maintaining a seperate "linked account" list anymore, it'll just do a quick grab of all the accounts with the given email address when it shows the "Post as" list.

quote:
Will this have an impact on any information in the member profiles? For example, will everyone have to retype their sigs? If so, the idea may meet some resistance from people who have had to tweak their sigs for best fit or appearance.

Nope. Everything else will be exactly the same and unchanged.

Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 05-02-2002 03:39:52 PM
I need to change the email address from Jade =/ She is my seperate acct =P also want to make a seperate account for Misery
"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: