EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Thinking of retiring.
Solstyce
Vampiric pixie that might eat your face, if you're lucky
posted 04-22-2002 11:24:14 PM
Retiring Sol, that is.

Yeah, I think it's time to give the old girl the final push into the retirement home. I can just hear the gasps. Not many other people can use a sigpic from hentai and not get banz0red! Not many others can still be sexy and fit in the palm of my hand! Well, I have reasons, and like it or not, I'm gonna state them...

First: She's old. For me, anyway. I had her for damn near two years, and for a character, that's damn near ancient. She's gone through tons of mutations, starting off as a simple caricature, a handle, growing into this giant RP thing. When she was the giant RP thing, she was great, she kept changing and moving around, went from elf (remember the old MSpaint sigpic? I'd KILL for that) to pixie to rather crazy pixie to depressed pixie to pretty much everything else. I've gone everywhere with her, done quite alot, and there's honestly not much I can see that the character has left to do. There's no more room to grow. She's begun to stagnate, becoming more and more a handle, a caricature.

Second: I've received slightly disturbing reports about my past. Well, not about me, I know everything about me, but what people thought of me. Nympho, shallow, I was apparently called "the sex addict" and I did not know this. People who actually know the hideous Nicole-beast behind Sol know I'm DEFINITELY more than just my sex drive (which, while enormous, does not eclipse things. Thankfully.), that mostly being bitterness and an odd smattering of creativity here and there. Again, if you know the terrible Nicole-beast, you know she does NOT like to be thought of as a stereotype. "The sex addict" is a stereotype. At least to me. I want to distance myself from that.

Third: At Solstyce's beginnings, she was a reflection of me how I wished I'd be. SHe was carefree, glamorous, and magical all whipped together in one pixie-loving package. While the character grew up alot, she remained the same person. I, on the other hand, have not. While the character grew a little, I have grown a lot. Sol isn't how I originally saw her anymore, and while I can still snap myself into her mindset, it just dosen't feel the same.

So why am I complaining publicly about this, you ask? Because I love you. And need your opinions like a starving man needs food.

I'll have been registered at these boards two years as of tomorrow. God... sometimes it seems like it just whisked by at an ungodly speed, and at others it feels about a million years back. Heh, the MSPaint sigpic... anyway, I feel kinda, well, without sounding all weird and pompous... like an old, recognized character on these boards, someone like Drysart or Geeorn or Jete when she posts, damnit, like Mysti or Mort to a slightly larger degree. And I want to know whether or not you guys want to see your favorite pixie gone in favor of a newer character, with the same old evil Nicole-beast behind it.

So? Share opinions?

(thanks in advance.

~S.

Shhh. Everyone will hear us. Everyone will know.
Mightion Defensor
posted 04-22-2002 11:27:38 PM
The color of the cover does not change the words written in the book.

Congrats on your two years, Nicole.

Ryuujin
posted 04-22-2002 11:28:58 PM
Lolls Solstyce the Pixie around his mouth one last time
Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 04-22-2002 11:29:35 PM
Be who you are. Be who you want to be. Your choice. We'll love you either way.
At least I will.
Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 04-22-2002 11:33:51 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis impressed everyone with:
At least I will.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 04-22-2002 11:35:23 PM
<Insert Mushy, sentimental crap>

Do what you want.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 04-22-2002 11:37:09 PM
Archangel, Two things
The fact that you quoted me and said nothing in a thread like this says a lot to me personally.
And also, the RQG rocks. I just have to say.
Thank you.
Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 04-22-2002 11:39:35 PM
If you are pixie, or not picie.. Yer still Nicole. Hugs the Nicole

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 04-22-2002 11:40:13 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about (_|_):
At least I will.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Steven Steve
posted 04-22-2002 11:41:19 PM
go long!
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 04-23-2002 01:25:43 AM
*a small little face, all curious grey-green eyes and surrounded almost by a nimbus of hair, peeks into the room. She suffles her booted feet, casting long looks at the occupants, before shuffling in. She dosen't look more than seven years old. Her hair looks windswept, and is a curious shade of pink-red. Her eyes are wide, her dress is slightly crumpled as if she'd climbed a tree in it. Though the oddest thing about her was the almost-costumelike pointed dark blue witches' hat clapped on her tiny head, and the fist-sized crystal ball clenched in her hand*

Where's Miss Sol? She didn't go runnin' off again...?

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Solstyce
Vampiric pixie that might eat your face, if you're lucky
posted 04-23-2002 01:27:52 AM
... OK, gah, that didn't work, it felt too much like I was leaving.

Sorry.

Shhh. Everyone will hear us. Everyone will know.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 04-23-2002 01:40:23 AM
The more things change, the more they stay the same Regardless if you change your name or not, you'll still be the same person to me. I'll still call you Sol, though. It's just... one of those things.

However, maybe Sol should spin up a cocoon and emerge a new person with the same name. haha

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 04-23-2002 02:06:52 AM
An annoying, angst filled teenager by any other name would still smell as bad.

Or something Shakespeare said.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-23-2002 06:47:51 AM
The actual idea of "Sol" may have changed, but what character doesn't? Characters who stay the same.. stagnate, and become boring as all hell.

Look at me, for example. I started here as a normal everyday human, with a bucket helm.

Suddar Williams
SUDAR WILAMS
posted 04-23-2002 06:51:33 AM
Solstyce and I registered within ten minutes of eachother, I think.

My two-year is tomorrow, too. I wouldn't have even realized if you hadn't posted this. Hm.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-23-2002 07:41:57 AM
If you do retire Solstyce, don't delete the account. You never know when the urge to post as her will pop up again.

Please, let us know clearly who you are if you go to a new account/name. Also, don't be surprised if people continue to call you Sol for a long time. That's the name many of us know you by, after all.

And Ryuu? Just what does pixie taste like?

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Peter
Pancake
posted 04-23-2002 07:50:33 AM
quote:
Verily, Palador ChibiDragon doth proclaim:

And Ryuu? Just what does pixie taste like?

Like sugar, dyed and flavored sugar. What did you think the were putting in Pixie sticks?

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 04-23-2002 10:34:43 AM
Not to hijack the thread purposefully, but Azymyth got his start the same way you did Solstyce, as a handle. Yeah, he was a figure of the past in some grand storyline, but he had no story himself. I've had him for about two years now myself and he has evolved greatly. He still is and always will be because I want to make him as real as I can.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 04-23-2002 10:58:45 AM
*grabs the pixie wings and runs off*

Muahahah! I can ransom these later!

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Nicole
posted 04-23-2002 12:07:19 PM
Aunt Solly's still about, but I'm here now. Muah hah hah!

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-23-2002 02:37:08 PM
As a sort of echo to Snoota, I found Solstyce incredibly annoying most of the time.

So, whether you change your screen name or not, just try not to bug me.

Emil
Hypersensitive; Beware of Hurt Feelings
posted 04-23-2002 02:44:07 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Mr. Parcelan was all like:
As a sort of echo to Snoota, I found Solstyce incredibly annoying most of the time.

So, whether you change your screen name or not, just try not to bug me.

So let's see, n00bs get no love, but if you've been here two years, this is what you can expect? Let me stay a n00b then

From a worldly point of view, there is no mistake so great as that of being always right. – Samuel Butler
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-23-2002 02:47:42 PM
Some people like other people. Some people don't.

I make wiseass comments, some people don't like me for that. Some people do stuff I don't like, I don't like them for that.

Welcome to Preferences and Opinions 101.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 04-23-2002 02:48:40 PM
I feel that Solstyce is pretty much exactly the same as she was two years ago, just in a different form. I've never seen you or your character as a sex addict, I've only seen it as a joke.

Sure, she may have stagnated. All characters do. Its like they reach a point where if you use them anymore, they'll become overly god-like and not fun to use at all. Thats why I have about 12 characters to cycle through whenever I get sick of one. By the time I'm through the last one, my first one seems new and original again (Though for less time).

Don't completely retire Solstyce, just give her a vacation and move onto something else until that gets old.

Reyolen
Wanders too much for a custom title
posted 04-23-2002 03:18:41 PM
Aww, well that stuff happens. I'll still probably call you Sol, since you've been Sol far too long for me to drop it now. My handle Reyolen I use on all my other boards, even though they're not EQ related at all, so that's saying something. At least you're sticking around
Nicole
posted 04-23-2002 03:25:31 PM
*shrug* I don't try not to step on any toes. I don't try TO step on any toes, well, unless someone deserves it. If you like me, yay, we should go out for ice cream or something. If not, fine, as long as you aren't an ass about it or nuke my house or anything.

I figure I can't change someone's opinion of me. It either changes or it dosen't. Again, so long as there's no random flames or house-nuking...

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Sangwyyn
Pancake
posted 04-23-2002 05:06:17 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Don't retire Sol...

I like a look of Agony,
Because I know it’s true—
Men do not sham Convulsion,
Nor simulate, a Throe—
~Emily Dickinson
Cap'n Elethi
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt...
posted 04-23-2002 05:20:45 PM
You can't retire Solstyce. I have so many memories of The "Old" EC (Yes, watch out, I'm remeniscing) with Sols involved.

My first time in EverCrest IRC. The first time I ever went in to EC IRC (Back, way way way before it was split. Back when the boards were on IhateLinux. Or maybe that was the IRC, I don't remember) you and Darrok were the only people who talked to me.

The first time I RP'ed online. Again, with Sol and Art? Or was it Gee? (Again, my memory is fading ) Anyways, I think we did something involving the Tavern and... damn, I used to know. Of course, I was a terrible roleplayer then (I'm still not good, by any stretch of the word.)

All that time I spent talking to you, before I really took the hint, anyways. That was the old Solstyce, too.

I think you were involved in my first story line, too, but I can't really remember that. We used to have so many back in the day.

Thats all I have to say. You can retire Sols if you want too, I've really sort of rambled myself out.

Elethi Rian, A Man Of Many Talents
Azeroth™
Want my opinion?
posted 04-23-2002 05:30:14 PM
Isn't your sigpic one of the pixies from that hentai comic?

[/URL]
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: