EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I hate...
Addy
posted 04-18-2002 07:44:38 PM
Inking. It sucks. Horribly. Whenever I ink, the lines come out uneven and icky, causing me to edit it to hell in Photoshop. Anyone have any good tips (besides getting a decent pen)?
Aaron (the good one)
posted 04-18-2002 07:45:46 PM
I hate muffins?!?! I KNEW IT!
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 04-18-2002 07:47:36 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Adrecia was all like:
getting a decent pen

is

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-18-2002 07:48:04 PM
Define "decent".

I've seen an artist use gel pins for inking before, with great results. The larger areas he did with some of those markers that can get you stoned, but the small stuff was all fine line gel pen.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Addy
posted 04-18-2002 07:50:20 PM
The lines are blotchy and uneven. And a decent pen would mean something that doesn't have its ink "suddenly fade away" for a bit then come back. I have to retrace areas like 2-3 times.
Solstyce
Vampiric pixie that might eat your face, if you're lucky
posted 04-18-2002 07:52:17 PM
I use gel pen myself, and it works wonders. I can actually manage to shade worth a damn with gel pen, and while for large spaces it sucks a large load of ass, for lining and shading it works wonders.

My advice: Rushing = hell. Do not rush. Do not even think of rushing. Go very very slowly.

Shhh. Everyone will hear us. Everyone will know.
Peter
Pancake
posted 04-18-2002 08:13:33 PM
Find a nice comfortable spot to sit in when doing your work. And a Nice Seat too. I found when doing my models, especially the Panel lines which I do with pen, is if I am in an uncomfortable position or spot I mess up and my hands shake a lot more.

For pens, In school one of my buddies used to use those Pilot precise rolling ball pens, the kid drew thing that look like they came right out of a comic book. I use the same type for some of my models, other than that get a radiograph. Or could try calligraphy/archiving pen, they sell them in wall mark for a few bucks in by the crafts section, usually by the X-acto knifes.

Ryuujin
posted 04-18-2002 09:26:51 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Adrecia:
The lines are blotchy and uneven. And a decent pen would mean something that doesn't have its ink "suddenly fade away" for a bit then come back. I have to retrace areas like 2-3 times.

Do you use no bleed paper?

Maradon!
posted 04-18-2002 10:47:26 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Captain Planet:
I've seen an artist use anal gel penis

this is fun

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 04-18-2002 10:51:15 PM
gel pens work really well
A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-18-2002 11:11:49 PM
quote:
This one time, at Pyscho_Pike camp:
Find a nice comfortable spot to sit in when doing your work. And a Nice Seat too. I found when doing my models, especially the Panel lines which I do with pen, is if I am in an uncomfortable position or spot I mess up and my hands shake a lot more.

For pens, In school one of my buddies used to use those Pilot precise rolling ball pens, the kid drew thing that look like they came right out of a comic book. I use the same type for some of my models, other than that get a radiograph. Or could try calligraphy/archiving pen, they sell them in wall mark for a few bucks in by the crafts section, usually by the X-acto knifes.

I don't really like inking the panel lines on my models. Gives them too much of a cartoony look. Some places on certain models are good to detail like that, of course, but doing the whole model takes away from it, in my opinion.

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: Densetsu ]

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Steven Steve
posted 04-19-2002 01:11:14 AM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Define "decent".

I've seen an artist use gel pins for inking before, with great results. The larger areas he did with some of those markers that can get you stoned, but the small stuff was all fine line gel pen.

yes, gel pens work

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-19-2002 05:56:53 AM
quote:
Densetsu thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I don't really like inking the panel lines on my models. Gives them too much of a cartoony look. Some places on certain models are good to detail like that, of course, but doing the whole model takes away from it, in my opinion.

Depends on how thick and how much ink you put on the lines. Some of them ,like the little Turn X I have, the lines really thick becuse I want it to look like a cartoon. But on the wing zero I have put on thin lines that I wiped away, makes them faded and just enough to make them stand out a wee bit. Most of the time a pen is easier to do than a Black wash, I guess it depends on how weathered you wish it to look.

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: Pyscho_Pike ]

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: