EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: My guildmate just bet me 20k pp that...
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-22-2002 02:34:46 AM
I couldn't jump down the Hole, and make it out alive within three hours.

Keep in mind, I can fall from the TITAN spires in Dreadlands, and only take 90-130 damage.

Now. I'm suspecting that I can survive the Hole fall, though I'm not certain. People say it's a bit of a longer fall, but it'd need to be about 10 seconds of straight falling for it to be fatal. (Fatal means more than 1k dmg, which means automatic 10k)

Yes, I know about Yael, so no smartass comments about him. I have a couple idea about how to workaround him.

Alternatly, I can fall when Yael isn't up for 10k pp. (Still have to make it out of the Hole alive within 3 hours.)

Tips, comments, and suggestions welcomed.

BTW, grats me on RotWF.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 01-22-2002 02:43:47 AM
Tip : Create a newbie erudite, go to paineel, and try jumping a few times.

The problem is, you've got about a 50% chance of 10K'ing. The reason being, when you zone in, you're 'hovering' in midair for a bit before you fall. The longer you hover, the more painful the fall.

I'd suggest doing EVERYTHING you can to zone fast. Turn off ALL LUCLIN MODELS, turn ON texture caching, turn OFF animations, set the texture quality to low, et cetera. Basically, try to boost your performance as far as you can. Run it in 640x480, clipping plane at tiny, and particles off. No sound nor music.

If you do all that, you should zone real quick, get in, take the (paltry) damage, then you're off to FD your way to safety, or however you're planning on getting through.

I'd recommend getting SoW first from the highest level druid you can. If you can get SoWed, you should be able to FD-run through there (Assuming you know the way) very quickly. I wouldn't be afraid to take damage, seeing as how if you've got a 3 hour time limit, mend will refresh a few times.

I'd say you have a very good chance of doing it.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-22-2002 02:55:53 AM
Yeah, I plan on exploring it alot first, perhaps grabbing a map of it...

Bristlebane rogue~

Less obvious hints to follow. (Thanks though)

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-22-2002 03:51:28 AM
Jumping into the Hole is an auto 10k.

They did that to stop Monks and Rogues from exploiting their way in. Same with Levitation dropping when you zone (even DMF)

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 01-22-2002 04:56:43 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Jumping into the Hole is an auto 10k.

They did that to stop Monks and Rogues from exploiting their way in. Same with Levitation dropping when you zone (even DMF)

Aye, what he said.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-22-2002 04:57:13 AM
quote:
Black Mage had this to say about Robocop:
I couldn't jump down the Hole, and make it out alive within three hours.

Keep in mind, I can fall from the TITAN spires in Dreadlands, and only take 90-130 damage.

Now. I'm suspecting that I can survive the Hole fall, though I'm not certain. People say it's a bit of a longer fall, but it'd need to be about 10 seconds of straight falling for it to be fatal. (Fatal means more than 1k dmg, which means automatic 10k)

Yes, I know about Yael, so no smartass comments about him. I have a couple idea about how to workaround him.

Alternatly, I can fall when Yael isn't up for 10k pp. (Still have to make it out of the Hole alive within 3 hours.)

Tips, comments, and suggestions welcomed.

BTW, grats me on RotWF.

Which one of the nuts did that?

Ryuujin
posted 01-22-2002 05:49:45 AM
quote:
Black Mage wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

You lie, sir.

Rabidbunnylover
Pancake
posted 01-22-2002 06:02:16 AM
Does is just dispell you when you zone in, or can you not cast lev in the hole at all?
Merp
Jalal d'Varr
Still a gnome!
posted 01-22-2002 06:02:35 AM
What a piece of cake
Just "make sure" you go LD right when you zone. Log back in. You're on the floor, completely unharmed. FD immidiatly. Get the fux0r out. Carry invis and invis to undead potions. They help tons.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-22-2002 06:05:17 AM
Sneak past stuff whenever possible.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Maelarr
Pancake
posted 01-22-2002 06:05:41 AM
Jalal, you sir are a genius.
I wouldda suggested doing it in the middle of a hole raid.
but hey whatever.

All Empires Fall, You just have to know where to push- Me
Cleric Rogue Sigpic
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-22-2002 07:32:20 AM
quote:
Ryuujin had this to say about Captain Planet:
You lie, sir.

I don't think he does.

BM, I both am happy for you, and I HATE YOUR MISERABLE GUTS WITH PASSIONATE CONTEMPT!

btw, you can't cast levi in the hole, either, I tried to when I was there with my monk.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Steven Steve
posted 01-22-2002 08:06:28 AM
Could I have some screen shots of the Hole? Cuz I've never been there and it sounds like a happenin' place
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Caanis Lupus
Rub me?
posted 01-22-2002 08:57:34 AM
quote:
Black Mage wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

quote:
Ryuujin had this to say about Captain Planet:
You lie, sir.

Now now just becuase lev dropped and you went splat you don't have to get fussy with people.

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 01-22-2002 09:05:22 AM
BM. You could also aim for the pool of water if you don't think you would survive the fall.

As for getting out? You need some kind of port, it's impossible to get out otherwise.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 01-22-2002 09:49:11 AM
There's some kinda funky item from Highpass Hold called a... Shiny Brass Idol, I think? It has a one shot charge of Divine Aura.

I've heard of people who jump into the Hole, then set off the charge right after zoning in. "Now, for my next trick..."

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-22-2002 09:52:40 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Black Mage wrote:

How high is your Safe Fall? If you say maxed, tell me what the actual number is that yours is at.

Once I get more XP in 52, I might try jumping from those.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Felocity
Pancake
posted 01-22-2002 10:27:04 AM
quote:
Ryuujin had this to say about Robocop:
You lie, sir.

He's not lying. I used to do the same, but drunk, for platinum.

Falling with the fisheye lens is quite humorous.

As for falling into the Hole and surviving. I tried it once. I failed. Luckily, I had a good Necromancer friend to summon the corpse for me.

I might be mistaken, but I think they may have removed that ability there as well. They really don't want people entering via the Hole itself.

Makes me wonder why they bothered to code it in the first place, then.

Pass the cookies!
Sora
Domo Arigato
posted 01-22-2002 11:30:34 AM
Hmmm... I always thought you couldnt get out if you went past a certian point, and that the only way out was port. I havent been there in a while though, so im probably wrong...

Levitate does not work in the Hole, so attempting to use it, either by dropping in from Paineel above or to move down the outer shaft around the castle, will be painful. Also, once you step off the very first ledge in the dungeon, you have to either be able to teleport out or find the key to escape, because there is no way to make it back up to the ledge without the key.

Thats from http://www.eqatlas.com/hole.html
Have fun...

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Sora ]

Maradon!
posted 01-22-2002 11:47:16 AM
Falling damage isn't calculated by distance, it's calculated by the amount of time you spend falling. Since you fall through a zone line when you jump into the hole, it extends your airtime unnaturally.

You can not cast any form of levitate in The Hole, and all forms of levitate will dispell on your zone-in.

In short, you can not, under any circumstances, jump into the hole and live.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Maradön? ]

Skaw
posted 01-22-2002 11:48:54 AM
Actually, there is a way out, without a port.. Gravity Flux, get a wizard/enchanter friend to camp the ledge of non-normal return, and have you run at the ledge and cast. I use G-Flux as a retrieval method in Velks when people are on their way to Upper Kobolds and fall down into the pit.
Il Buono
posted 01-22-2002 11:50:23 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Skaw was all like:
*snip*

Heh, I remember doing that several times on our last Hole raid..

But I was under the influence that BM had to get out on his own, without outside help.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-22-2002 12:00:27 PM
If there is a key that gets you back out, is it fair to have that key allready BEFORE you jump?

Also, what if you jump with someone that can cast G-flux? Can you use that to "break" the fall before you hit? Of course, if you really want some timing fun (and can have help), have some friends grouped with you and waiting for you at the impact point. Have one or more be wizards, and have them start casting some kind of translocate/group port as soon as you zone in. With luck, you will be within range when the spell goes off, and will never hit the bottom there. Make it a Trans-2-bind, and get bound someplace with water.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-22-2002 12:01:54 PM
quote:
Maradön? had this to say about Cuba:
Falling damage isn't calculated by distance, it's calculated by the amount of time you spend falling. Since you fall through a zone line when you jump into the hole, it extends your airtime unnaturally.

You can not cast any form of levitate in The Hole, and all forms of levitate will dispell on your zone-in.

In short, you can not, under any circumstances, jump into the hole and live.

What about a cleric casting DA on themselves right before stepping off the ledge?

Ya know, I tossed my level 2 necro off the ledge in Paineel hoping for some impressive hang time before I zoned... was disappointed when I zoned as soon as I stepped off the ledge. :/

But, when he zoned into the Hole he made quite an impression.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 01-22-2002 12:03:24 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor wrote this stupid crap:
What about a cleric casting DA on themselves right before stepping off the ledge?

Ya know, I tossed my level 2 necro off the ledge in Paineel hoping for some impressive hang time before I zoned... was disappointed when I zoned as soon as I stepped off the ledge. :/

A necro friend of mine lived by harmshielding just before he zoned.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-22-2002 12:06:31 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about Duck Tales:

If you want hangtime, in the hole you can jump off of the waterfall and land in the water below safetly. It is quite the jump

If you like to play sick games on your friends, have a mage cast levi in the dreadlands on top the huge wizard spires.

Then have him step off from the top so he slowly starts to drift down, then invite your buddy into the same group, and have the mage CoH him....

Your friend will be quite surprised to suddenly fall to his death

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-22-2002 12:09:39 PM
I have a question:

If you use lev to get out over the Hole (use the Paineel elevator for height), can you get yourself over the water? If so, do you zone in over it and splashdown, or still zone in to the default area?

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Il Buono
posted 01-22-2002 12:11:38 PM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about Captain Planet:
*snippage*

Just summon up a few lev rings, jump off something really high (DL spires or the IC/EW bridge work) and try to right click them just before you hit the ground.

Too much fun.

Maradon!
posted 01-22-2002 12:14:21 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
If you use lev to get out over the Hole (use the Paineel elevator for height), can you get yourself over the water? If so, do you zone in over it and splashdown, or still zone in to the default area?

You still zone in over the default area.

Verant went to great lengths to ensure that if you jump into the hole, you have no chance of surviving.

Skaw
posted 01-22-2002 12:22:45 PM
Those bind affinity rings still in-game?
Maelarr
Pancake
posted 01-22-2002 12:23:34 PM
quote:
Za'Yth had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
A necro friend of mine lived by harmshielding just before he zoned.

HUSH FOOL!!
NONE MUST KNOW THAT HARMSHIELD PREVENTS EVEN UNGODLY AMOUNTS OF FALLING DMG!!!!!!

its truu
jumped off ramp in EK and started falling....and falling....and falling....and falling....and falling....and falling....and falling....and falling....and finally i hit the bottom and quickly FD'd for my friend that was safely levitating to the bottom.
much fun.

Cleric Rogue Sigpic
Maelarr
Pancake
posted 01-22-2002 12:24:13 PM
quote:
Skaw wrote this stupid crap:
Those bind affinity rings still in-game?

rings of the dead?
no.

Cleric Rogue Sigpic
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-22-2002 12:24:41 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Demitri!
Just summon up a few lev rings, jump off something really high (DL spires or the IC/EW bridge work) and try to right click them just before you hit the ground.

Too much fun.

oh god yes, thats fun.

I killed myself a couple times trying that before

And yes, its time falling that determines damage. Fun little old bug: If you jumped right into the little archway by felwithe's entrance and got stuck, you could move backwards to droip to the ground. The game never registers you as having landed when you jump into the wall though, and you take 10k once you touch the ground.

Skaw
posted 01-22-2002 12:27:19 PM
Here BM, consider camping one of these before the day comes
Maelarr
Pancake
posted 01-22-2002 12:37:16 PM
why would he need one of those skaw?

Cleric Rogue Sigpic
Caanis Lupus
Rub me?
posted 01-22-2002 12:40:31 PM
quote:
Demitri had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Heh, I remember doing that several times on our last Hole raid..

But I was under the influence that BM had to get out on his own, without outside help.

If you have dwarf faction you can make a Thurg Gate potion easy if you have pottery up to like 122...No drop lore expendable.

edit: Also I just thought of the obvious...bank all your stuff and jump naked...die and respawn...technically you are alive and out of the hole...

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Caanis Lupus ]

Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-22-2002 03:39:07 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Jalal d'Varr wrote:
Just "make sure" you go LD right when you zone. Log back in. You're on the floor, completely unharmed.

There's a good chance that'll drop you in the zone's GM box instead of on the floor because that's what the server does if you go LD when you zone.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-22-2002 03:40:29 PM
quote:
Drysart wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
There's a good chance that'll drop you in the zone's GM box instead of on the floor because that's what the server does if you go LD when you zone.

I went LD while zoning to EC the other day and didn't end up in the GM box. Or is it with JUST the hole?
Rowyl
Pancake
posted 01-22-2002 03:46:45 PM
Even if you got to the bottom alive, if Yeal is up he will DT you. In fact sometimes he will DT you before you hit the ground and die.
-Rowyl
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 01-22-2002 03:53:52 PM
Gate Potion
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: