EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Lord Seru ( The guy with the big sword) killed... Probably old news, but...
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-15-2002 04:48:41 PM
I'm too damn lazy to check. Blame Karnaj.
http://pub42.ezboard.com/fayonaerofrm1.showMessage?topicID=1560.topic

His drops? Well, since there is no legit way to get to him (quest is broken atm), this is what he dropped for the killers:

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

The Last Strider
I will die alone
posted 01-15-2002 04:51:16 PM
Tell me that was a joke.
"We have listened to you speak since the dawn of time, and we have learned to imatoot you exarktly."-The Simpsons

Necromancer: How DARE you imply that I was involved in a rude act with my undead servant! I will flay the flesh from your bones! I will summon a thousand maggot-ridden corpses to gnaw your flesh! I will trap your soul in-
Ghoul: My ass hurts.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-15-2002 04:52:00 PM
quote:
Black Mage had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I'm too damn lazy to check. Blame Karnaj.
http://pub42.ezboard.com/fayonaerofrm1.showMessage?topicID=1560.topic

His drops? Well, since there is no legit way to get to him (quest is broken atm), this is what he dropped for the killers:

So everything he has dropped is useless, huh?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-15-2002 04:52:57 PM
I'm not joking!

Actually, people say what he dropped used to be legit, then Verant changed it...

/shrug

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 01-15-2002 04:54:38 PM
Greetings,

Ok the scoop on this, the guild Eternal Wrath did indeed kill Seru, but they didn't do it the "correct" way and therefore got crap for loot. Seru is immune to melee damage, what happens is there is a series of quests, which is currently broken, that you complete that supposedly draws him out to kill. This is the version that you end up killing that will likely drop the phat lewtz.

This isn't the first time he's been killed either, and it's likely EW used the same exploit others have used to kill him.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-15-2002 04:55:23 PM
Nuke from roof? Did they change that yet?

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 01-15-2002 04:58:07 PM
Nuke from Roof/Ledge has been fixed, but they can still GravFlux/Invert Gravity or use a Mage to CoH groups up there and drop down the hole.
Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 01-15-2002 05:26:52 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Black Mage wrote:

Think Verant's trying to tell them something?

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Kagrama ]

i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-15-2002 05:30:21 PM
What'd I do?!
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-15-2002 05:31:20 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about dark elf butts:
What'd I do?!
You know what you did.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-15-2002 05:33:57 PM
quote:
Kagrama had this to say about pies:
Think Verant's trying to tell them something?

Yes.

Think they will listen?

No.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Kanid
BANNED
posted 01-16-2002 01:58:18 PM
The guys who got that stuff made a good point.

If it is an "exploit" to GFlux to the roof and drop down the hole to get into his room, VERANT is the one responsible to PREVENT the exploit, not the players.

If the hole isn't meant to be used for egress, it shouldn't be accessible.

"Unlike adults, children have little need to deceive themselves." - Goethe
Happiness is subjective, subject yourself to it whenever possible.
"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." - John Barrymore
Wise men still seek Him.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-16-2002 02:11:55 PM
This is like saying that if a car is not meant to crash it should not have Seatbelts..

People will cheat, it is that simple. VI has put something in place that is not yet accessible to players who follow the rules.
They knew that if anyone got in and killed him it would be through cheating. So they gave the guy these items till the change is made. Hell I bet the sleeper has a couple rusty daggers as loot right now.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 01-16-2002 02:13:08 PM
quote:
Kanid wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
If it is an "exploit" to GFlux to the roof and drop down the hole to get into his room, VERANT is the one responsible to PREVENT the exploit, not the players.

I think Verant did a good job if preventing the exploit.

Think anyone else is going to do it before the quest is finished, now that his loot is known?

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 01-16-2002 02:15:25 PM
Sure, just to say you have the items

They may not be worth a damn, but it'd be pretty cool to have them just because they're rare, and plus, Can't pets use none/none?

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Kanid
BANNED
posted 01-16-2002 02:27:21 PM
I disagree. This is nothing similar.

There is an open ENTRANCE to the room, through the roof. Without reading Verant's mind, how am I, the average player, supposed to know that I wasn't meant to climb up the wall and drop down in there if it is easily and entirely possible to do so?

If I was not supposed to enter the room in this manner, and Verant KNEW that players would enter this way (which is shown by the loot dropped) Verant should have blocked access to this entrance.

If you don't want me using the back door, don't leave it open.

Wise men still seek Him.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 01-16-2002 02:32:04 PM
ok dumb question time!

Who's Seru and were is he? What does he look like?

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 01-16-2002 02:32:30 PM
Why disable CoH if everyone is being lazy and using GravFlux/Invert Grav?
Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-16-2002 02:32:56 PM
Ok so Verant created the zone to look good..
I know that I for one would not think of players G-fluxing thier way over the wall..
This is NOT a valid use of the spell. If it was then G-Flux would have no damage to it. It would simply pop you up.

You are trying to justify cheating. Give it up.

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 01-16-2002 03:01:46 PM
Actually, they are using GFlux as it was intended. The spell was intended to cause damage and toss someone into the air. That is EXACTLY what they are doing. They are using the spell to toss someone up into the air. There is nothing that says you have to land where you were GFlux. If that is so, then ban all the GFlux mobs in the Plane of Hate because I've been tossed on houses and stuff before.

In an encounter like this, Verant should have looked at every possiblity. Instead they did something cheap like that. It is THEIR fault there was a hole in the roof, not ours. That use of GFlux has been around for a LONG LONG time. No excuse on Verant's part, that is just a cheap shot because the players beat them.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-16-2002 03:11:26 PM
Ever tried to jump off the Nexus complex onto the black stuff? There is an INVISIBLE WALL there that keeps you from accessing that part of the zone. Why isn't there one around the hole in Seru's roof?

Exactly.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-16-2002 03:18:54 PM
Ok let me put it another way.
They cheated (yes they cheated)
They got nothing for it.
Life is a bitch. Learn to play by the rules.
If I find a way to weasle my way through the rules in an RPG it is Rulewhoring. Using them to my advantage by following the exact letter and not the Spirit. Same thing here.
They are using the excuse that "it is there so I can use it" as opposed to the truth of "it is there because it looks cool and you are now exploiting it."

Defending what they did is like defending WAREZ. Sure you can do it, but that doesn't make it any more right or legal.

Kanid
BANNED
posted 01-16-2002 03:54:17 PM
GFlux has been used to get places not easily accessible for a LONG time. I remember using it in CoM the day after Kunark was released.

Verant knew this would happen, which is exactly why they made the loot like they did. If they REALLY didn't want people doing it, they could have blocked it.

They specifically WANTED people to go in that way, spend 45 minutes killing him, only to get the crap loot so they could pat themselves on the back and say "Aren't we smart"

A kludge is not smart. If they really didn't want players entering that way, they would have prevented it in the first place.

Wise men still seek Him.
Lashanna
noob
posted 01-16-2002 04:06:14 PM
Azizza, this isn't finding a hole in the RPG's rules and manipulating it... It's finding a hole in a building and getting through it,

Really though, logic dictates that you would be able to go over the wall with Grav-Flux...

Verant should have just patched the hole in the ceiling and kept the loot on Lord Seru... it can't be that hard to insert the same inviso-bubble around his roof as they have around the black nexus goo (which Dens, I think, was talking about, I've tried to get over that bubble also, heh).

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-16-2002 04:20:18 PM
After reading Kanids post I think I see it in a different light...
Think of this as verant saying

"Hey you!! *points* Yeah you, the idiot who always tries to bend the rules and do think you know you should not.. *smack* Stop it and play nice with the other kids"

As was mentioned above. The names of the items are a not so subtle hint.

Look at it this was as well. If I lock my front door but leave my backdoor unlocked does this give you the right to come in and take anything? Nope!

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 01-16-2002 04:22:21 PM
Yeah, Verant KNEW people GFluxed all over, I think they wanted to see Seru die to see what we were capable of
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Rowyl
Pancake
posted 01-16-2002 05:24:56 PM
You people are funny...
-Rowyl
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 01-16-2002 05:28:13 PM
Rowyl... you have the inside stuff.. maybe you can help. Who the heck is this guy.. were is he and what does he look like?
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 01-16-2002 05:29:38 PM
My opinion on the subject :

If players are killing something that wasn't meant to be killed yet... then why the hell are they complaining that he's not dropping wonderful stuff?

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-16-2002 05:30:50 PM
I think that the zone designers of Sanctus made a big freaking mistake (In the name of AMBIENT LIGHT!) And now Verant needs to make up for it. It's Verant's fault, but that won't stop them from bitchslapping around all the people who do this... Because remember, though Verant made it that way, it's clearly OUR fault for finding this entrance.

Skaw
posted 01-16-2002 05:31:36 PM
Wonder what the cuirass looks like
Darius!
Pancake
posted 01-16-2002 05:32:21 PM
Hey Az, you say to play by the rules, but what rules were they breaking exactly hmm?

Thought so.

Khyron
posted 01-16-2002 05:32:43 PM
BM. If the players find a way to kill something not meant to be killed, why are they complaining that he isn't dropping uber loot yet?

If it was MEANT to be killed and drops crap, I could understand it. But he's not meant to be killed and players are doing it anyways. They're not getting rewarded for it. This seems to be fair and appropriate.

I fail to see the problem.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-16-2002 05:35:51 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about pies:
BM. If the players find a way to kill something not meant to be killed, why are they complaining that he isn't dropping uber loot yet?

If it was MEANT to be killed and drops crap, I could understand it. But he's not meant to be killed and players are doing it anyways. They're not getting rewarded for it. This seems to be fair and appropriate.

I fail to see the problem.

But who's fault is it ultimatly?

The whole point of the game is to kill. So what do players do naturally when they find the next hardest/best thing? Attempt to kill it. Is this not obvious to Verant?

Darius!
Pancake
posted 01-16-2002 05:36:47 PM
Well, Khy, did Verant ever tell anyone
"Do not kill this mob, he is not meant to be killed. Dont do it."?
Nope, at least I havnt seen anything even closely related to that.
Kanid
BANNED
posted 01-16-2002 05:43:55 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Look at it this was as well. If I lock my front door but leave my backdoor unlocked does this give you the right to come in and take anything? Nope!

If you designed your house to be entered by people for their enjoyment, and they PAY you to use it, and they come through the back door instead of the front door, I fail to see how it is THEIR fault that you didn't close/block off/lock the back door.

And how exactly are players supposed to know that he isn't "meant" to be killed yet? Isn't that the whole point of having mobs in EverQuest?

Or are you saying the zone is not finished yet the same way the Sleeper's Tomb was not finished, and we'll just punish the players for playing the game instead of finishing it...

Wise men still seek Him.
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-16-2002 05:45:45 PM
Also, I doubt they'll change the cealing geometry. I don't think it's ever been done before.

Lashanna
noob
posted 01-16-2002 05:52:45 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Cuba:

Actually, Seru is a guy who's meant to be killed, people know they should kill him... so think of it this way...

Imagine Osama bin Laden sitting in a large open courtyard with locked gates and barricaded doors... Do you think Special Forces/Northern Alliance/Any American with a gun is going to NOT climb over the courtyard's wall and kill Osama bin Laden because obviously, the architect intended for people to enter through the doors?

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Khyron
posted 01-16-2002 05:53:30 PM
My point is this : Verant isn't stopping people from killing him, that much is obvious. They stopped the roof exploit, but they're allowing people into the room to kill him. However, because he isn't 'meant' to be killed, they're simply making his drops crap until a legitimate way to kill him is implimented.

So kill him all you want, but don't bitch that you're not getting what you think you should be. =P

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 01-16-2002 05:57:39 PM
quote:
Khyron stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
My point is this : Verant isn't stopping people from killing him, that much is obvious. They stopped the roof exploit, but they're allowing people into the room to kill him. However, because he isn't 'meant' to be killed, they're simply making his drops crap until a legitimate way to kill him is implimented.

So kill him all you want, but don't bitch that you're not getting what you think you should be. =P

That's obvious, but that's not the problem.

The problem is, this is Verant's fault. But they won't ever fess up to it, so they make all this little workarounds which harm players in the Process. I heard that the loot used to be 100% legit items, THEN they nerfed it. It was a 45 min fight... So all that time and effort, wasn't completely because of a hole in the cealing that's VERANTS fault, but someone ends up being the players for finding and using it.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: