EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Brad McQuaid and Jeff Butler form development company.
Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 01-10-2002 07:51:31 AM
BRAD MCQUAID AND JEFF BUTLER ANNOUNCE FORMATION OF GAME DEVELOPMENT STUDIO

New Massively Multiplayer Online Game Currently In Production

SAN DIEGO, CA - January 9, 2002 - Brad McQuaid and Jeff Butler, both key figures in the runaway hit "EverQuest," have formed a development company dedicated to the production of massively multiplayer online role-playing games. The as-of-yet-unnamed company is currently seeking additional funding as they broker the publishing rights to their first independent title.

"Ever since I played my first MUD, my passion has been to create strong massively multiplayer communities," said Brad McQuaid, president of the new company. "With this venture, I can continue the terrific working relationship I have enjoyed with Jeff Butler while we realize our MMORPG ambitions. We believe we have just begun to explore the possibilities of this genre."

McQuaid and Butler are both creators of the massively multiplayer runaway hit "EverQuest," developed by Verant Interactive. The game shattered all multiplayer game records after its release in 1999, exceeding all industry expectations and inspiring three top-selling expansion packs. McQuaid is President and CEO of the new company, and Butler has assumed the role of Vice President.

About Brad McQuaid
Brad McQuaid was the co-designer of "EverQuest," managing the development team from the project's inception until its launch. He later became a founder of Verant Interactive and its Vice President. After Verant's acquisition by Sony Online Entertainment, Brad McQuaid served there as Vice President of Premium Games responsible for "EverQuest," "Sovereign," "PlanetSide," "Star Wars: Galaxies," and several currently unannounced projects. In addition, McQuaid was the company's Chief Creative Officer. He resigned amicably from the company in October 2001. McQuaid is one of the most respected online game developers in the industry, featured in with numerous articles in publications such as "The Wall Street Journal" and "Time Magazine." "PC Gamer" named him one of the "Next Game Gods" in their November 2000 issue.

About Jeff Butler
Jeff Butler joined Verant Interactive as Customer Service Manager in early 1999, and was promoted to Producer in 2000. Butler managed the EverQuest Live teams dedicated to ongoing content and development while simultaneously producing the three most recent EverQuest expansions, "EverQuest: The Shadows of Luclin," "EverQuest: The Scars of Velious," and "EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark." Jeff Butler resigned from SOE amicably in December 2001.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Kagrama ]

i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 01-10-2002 07:52:07 AM
Gah, why is there a DAoC symbol there? >_< It was supposed to be the ATTN: tag, sorry.
i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Maradon!
posted 01-10-2002 08:01:38 AM
Now my curiosity is piqued!

What sort of game would those two crazy kids come up with?

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-10-2002 08:04:45 AM
Too many people making MMORPG's, not enough consumer base.

That's gonna turn out to bite someone in the ass eventually.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-10-2002 08:19:31 AM
quote:
Maradön? stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

No doubt, something built around (Dun dun duuun) The Vision! (TM)

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Stormhaven
Pancake
posted 01-10-2002 08:46:15 AM
Not to be too sarcastic in my commentary about those two, but I will never touch another video game with their names on it again. Unless they are able to make something of Blizzard's caliber, which I highly doubt.

Lets face it, yes they did make a good game in EQ, but they just kept screwing it up over and over. The "ignore the player base" and "screw as many people as we can" paths that they have taken time and time again show that they are ignorant of the whole "customer service" ideal. The fact that they finally made changes that players have been begging for for months - only after AO and DAoC made a serious threat to their precious business should show which comes first - money or players.

Do I still play? Yes I do, but not for any "love of the game." I play to hang out with friends and socialize with them. Honestly, half the time I sit on some form of IM and chat with them there instead of playing online - even if it's to kick back on n00b character twinks.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-10-2002 09:21:22 AM
quote:
Stormhaven had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Not to be too sarcastic in my commentary about those two, but I will never touch another video game with their names on it again. Unless they are able to make something of Blizzard's caliber, which I highly doubt.

Lets face it, yes they did make a good game in EQ, but they just kept screwing it up over and over. The "ignore the player base" and "screw as many people as we can" paths that they have taken time and time again show that they are ignorant of the whole "customer service" ideal. The fact that they finally made changes that players have been begging for for months - only after AO and DAoC made a serious threat to their precious business should show which comes first - money or players.

Do I still play? Yes I do, but not for any "love of the game." I play to hang out with friends and socialize with them. Honestly, half the time I sit on some form of IM and chat with them there instead of playing online - even if it's to kick back on n00b character twinks.

World of Warcraft 2 r0x0r. So glad Blizz is making an MMORPG. Means itll be done RIGHT

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-10-2002 09:25:32 AM
quote:
Maradön? had this to say about Cuba:

Maybe they'll buy the rights to Dawn?

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-10-2002 09:50:25 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
World of Warcraft 2 r0x0r. So glad Blizz is making an MMORPG. Means itll be done RIGHT

WoW 2? What happened to WoW 1?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Maradon!
posted 01-10-2002 09:54:36 AM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about dark elf butts:
Too many people making MMORPG's, not enough consumer base.

That's gonna turn out to bite someone in the ass eventually.

Yeah, there'll actually be *gasp!* competition!!

Maradon!
posted 01-10-2002 09:55:46 AM
quote:
Stormhaven stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
<snipped quote>

Now who does that remind us of?

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Maradön? ]

Lashanna
noob
posted 01-10-2002 10:04:00 AM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Robocop:
Maybe they'll buy the rights to Dawn?

*snickers*

Oh, and Reynar, I heartily agree with you...

It may seem like there aren't a whole lot of MMORPGs out there. But since they are all continuous games that require a large amount of your time to play, balancing multiple MMORPGs is difficult...

There is a pretty set MMORPG population. The amount of new MMORPG players is fairly small, I think. So every new MMORPG is directly competing with the other games, unlike in video games. So, a new MMORPG has to draw it's fanbase away from their current MMORPG.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-10-2002 10:07:02 AM
Personally, I will give my business to any MMORPG that offers me the most delicious candy.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Maradon!
posted 01-10-2002 10:08:02 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Personally, I will give my business to any MMORPG that offers me the most delicious candy.

Here here!

Tarquinn
posted 01-10-2002 10:13:23 AM
quote:
Maradön? thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Here here!

Ow ...

Lashanna
noob
posted 01-10-2002 10:13:38 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
WoW 2? What happened to WoW 1?

What I hope they mean is that it is the World of [Warcraft 2]... As in Warcraft 2's World, now World of Warcraft #2...

If I'm wrong, then Blizzard is perhaps digging themselves in way to deep, hehe...

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-10-2002 10:23:06 AM
quote:
Maradön? had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Yeah, there'll actually be *gasp!* competition!!

There isnt now? We have UO/ EQ/ AC/ AO/ DAoC/ Lineage (sp?)

Not even 2 million people on all of those games combined, with lineage controlling more then the rest combined. So what happens when more come into play? Well unless the consumer base expands about 2 fold very soon, some will have to leave the arena.

Not that this is a bad thing of course. But my question is knowing this, why make another MMOG?

There's already another dozen MMOGs on the way, and most of them will never see the light of day, and those that do...you wont make much money from.

Anyone care to answer that? =)

-Mayer Rothschild
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-10-2002 11:34:18 AM
I want more cyberpunk-type multi-user games. (Ones that actually work, danke). I've got this twitching need for cyberpunk of late, and having played Deus Ex til my fingers bleed isn't resolving the need anymore.

Besides how many fantasy games have we seen at this point? EQ, AC, UO, DAoC, etc etc ad nauseum.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-10-2002 11:36:56 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael impressed everyone with:

Besides how many fantasy games have we seen at this point? EQ, AC, UO, DAoC, etc etc ad nauseum.

And look how many more are on the way...*groan*

-Mayer Rothschild
Malbi
posted 01-10-2002 11:48:11 AM
I would love to see one where you can either be superheroes/villans
or B-Movie Style Monsters/Godzilla kinda guys rampaging about
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-10-2002 11:52:32 AM
YEAH! when's that superhero game supposed to be coming out anyway? Please tell me it hasn't been cancelled...
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Tarquinn
posted 01-10-2002 11:54:20 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I want more cyberpunk-type multi-user games. (Ones that actually work, danke). I've got this twitching need for cyberpunk of late, and having played Deus Ex til my fingers bleed isn't resolving the need anymore.

Here you go!

Legonaire
Pancake
posted 01-10-2002 12:40:13 PM
And for the latest on the Super Hero's game.....

Supah Dupah

If animals weren't supposed to be eaten, then why are they made out of meat ??
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-10-2002 01:20:47 PM
oh baby...oohhhhhhh baby...Neocron looks good, City of Heroes looks great (it's more than I could have ever dreamed)...I foresee that in the future I may not spend as much time in EQ as I do...

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 01-10-2002 01:26:50 PM
Personally, I'd like to see an MMORPG in the vein of Zoids. Each player can build/buy/find their own giant fighting machine, then challenge other players to matches to win power and prestige in the number one sporting event of the future

Anyway. It'll be interesting to see if McQuaid and Butler can marshal a strong customer service team for their next venture

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 01-10-2002 03:17:12 PM
World of Warcraft takes place after the events in Warcraft 3. The burning legions have been pushed back, destroyed or whatever happens to them, and now the shattered kingdoms are trying to rebuild.

Personally I can't wait for WoW

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-10-2002 03:25:58 PM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about Tron:
There isnt now? We have UO/ EQ/ AC/ AO/ DAoC/ Lineage (sp?)

Umm...

UO? It has a loyal playerbase, but do you really think they have new subscribers very often?

EQ. Yes.

AC. Don't make me laugh.

AO. Eh, some people like it.

DAoC. It has potential... but everyone I know who plays DAoC and liked it hasn't played in over 4 weeks...

Lineage. Never heard of it.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-10-2002 03:29:43 PM
Is neocron released already, in beta, or nothing released yet.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Tarquinn
posted 01-10-2002 03:35:01 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper had this to say about dark elf butts:
Is neocron released already, in beta, or nothing released yet.

It's definatly in beta as I am ..., er was a beta tester.

Mr. Duck
Likes to ____!
posted 01-10-2002 03:58:12 PM
what?! you forgot Shadowbane?! how could you!

and remember the SB motto.Shadowbane:We play to Care

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Mr. Duck ]

Lashanna
noob
posted 01-10-2002 06:01:42 PM
Shadowbane... Is it in beta, alpha?

Also, Kegwen, from what I understand, Lineage is a HUGE Asian MMORPG (I can't remember where it's based, but I want to say Korea...?).

I've wondered if there's an English/US Version released/in the works...

Also, from what I understand, it's even got EQ beat in players, by a LOT to...

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-10-2002 06:06:57 PM
listed the initials of past games to sort of show the lineage and how there've only been long-lasting FANTASY games

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-10-2002 06:08:47 PM
oh and according to Neocron's site, they're still in their Beta tests. Said they'll probably do one more before launch (supposed to be first quarter launch this year)

Lashanna
noob
posted 01-10-2002 06:24:55 PM
quote:
Vorago had this to say about Optimus Prime:
World of Warcraft takes place after the events in Warcraft 3. The burning legions have been pushed back, destroyed or whatever happens to them, and now the shattered kingdoms are trying to rebuild.

Personally I can't wait for WoW

Warcraft 3? When did this happen?!

Kanid
BANNED
posted 01-10-2002 06:33:11 PM
I wanna be a Werewolf!

Darkness Falls forever!!!

"Unlike adults, children have little need to deceive themselves." - Goethe
Happiness is subjective, subject yourself to it whenever possible.
"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." - John Barrymore
Wise men still seek Him.
Cap'n Elethi
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt...
posted 01-10-2002 06:43:10 PM
quote:
Lashanna had this to say about Captain Planet:
Warcraft 3? When did this happen?!

Uhhh, the beta sign up is going on, or it just ended.

Check here for WarCraft III

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Elethi ]

Elethi Rian, A Man Of Many Talents
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 01-10-2002 06:43:53 PM
pfft...if you're a werewolf then you have to wear a collar and get regular flea baths.

Lashanna
noob
posted 01-10-2002 06:44:33 PM
quote:
Kanid had this to say about Tron:
I wanna be a Werewolf!

Darkness Falls forever!!!

Napalm is especially entertaining against Werewolves in wolf form,

Kanid
BANNED
posted 01-10-2002 06:46:37 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Lashanna!
Napalm is especially entertaining against Werewolves in wolf form,

Bleah. Napalm sticks to EVERYTHING anyway. Maybe I would be a demon. Vain the Demon was my favorite character in DF anyway, until he mysteriously disappeared.

"Unlike adults, children have little need to deceive themselves." - Goethe
Happiness is subjective, subject yourself to it whenever possible.
"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." - John Barrymore
Wise men still seek Him.
Maradon!
posted 01-10-2002 07:06:50 PM
quote:
Reynar thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
But my question is knowing this, why make another MMOG?

Because MMOG's, though prolific (as prolific as the genere can be anyway), are still in a sort of embryonic stage.

Even the best currently existing MMORPGs suffer from a lack of entertaining gameplay in comparison to CRPG's and comparable games in non-MM generes, choosing rather to repeatedly play the "Character Addiction" card.

Furthermore, character development in even the best currently existing MMORPG's is really rather simplistic when compared to character development in CRPG's like FFX and P&PRPG's like D&D.

Why make more MMORPG's? Because it forces the hand of progress.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: