EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Fun fun EQ Problems
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-02-2002 09:23:08 PM
Anyone else with a GeForce experiencing the freezing up problem?

Those with GeForces, do you have AMD systems, and is it GeForce 2 or 3? I freeze up every time I go into EQ less than 5 minutes after getting into the world, and I have NO idea what's going on. The dev boards aren't very helpful either.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 01-02-2002 09:28:30 PM
I'm not sure, but I had that problem with my RIVA TNT2 card... I set my AGP transfer rate to 1x to fix it... I used a program called Rivatuner to do that. Now, however it works fine, though my AGP port maxes out at 2x (my GE Force 2 MX400 supports 4x)
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-02-2002 09:32:19 PM
My computer froze a few hours ago in EQ...

But... consider these factors:

1) p2 300
2) GeForce2 MX200
3) 128 megs of PC-66 RAM
4) 1024x768 resolution
5) FULL clip plane
6) Zoned into EMERALD JUNGLE

It took 2 minutes to sit down and open the spellbook and another two to mem gate and stand up. I was about to gate, when I realized that I was bound in Shar Vahl. Those specs don't have a chance on the moon...

But.. my computer sat there for 10 minutes and I Ctrl+Alt+deleted out... luckily.

Skaw
posted 01-02-2002 09:34:24 PM
AMD Athlon T-Bird 1300
3D Prophet III Geforce 3
384 megs of sdram
Hardly any problems.

Only problems in the oldworld are zoning are to/from Emerald Jungle and Trakanon's Teeth.

Haven't found any on Luclin yet.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Skaw ]

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-02-2002 09:39:41 PM
ive not had any lockup problems but have had a couple of boot to desktop while zoning problems.

TBird 1400
1.5 GB RAM
GF2 Ultra
Sb Audigy

For the config i have, im supposed to have ALOT more problems *chuckle*

Curious...updated drivers and such ms lyinar?

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 01-02-2002 10:13:11 PM
Game runs like a dream. (Except framerate being a bitch on Luclin when clipping is max)

P3 866
512 RAM
GeForce2 GTS 32MB
SB Audigy X-Gamer
Texture caching ENABLED.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-02-2002 10:16:47 PM
quote:
Lyinar impressed everyone with:
Those with GeForces, do you have AMD systems, and is it GeForce 2 or 3? I freeze up every time I go into EQ less than 5 minutes after getting into the world

How many watts is your power supply?

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-02-2002 10:19:28 PM
I've locked up a couple times when zoning, but not while actually running around.

My question: When my Vah Shir attacks, I get alot of (for lack of a better term) "stuff" interfering with my view. It appears to be caused by my camera POV being somewhat inside the structure of my character and his armor. I get the same thing if I get really close to another Vah Shir. My Iksar Monk has the same problem (Iksar male is one of the SoL types I've got turned on).

Is this normal for people, or is it something that I need to track down somewhere on my computer?

P III 667
256 RAM
Radeon 7500
SoundBlaster Live! Value

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-02-2002 10:19:33 PM
AMD Chip, GeForce III, runs fine here.
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 01-02-2002 10:23:36 PM
Hmm, I freeze when I go out of EQ.

I have:
P3: 750mzh
384 PC 133 RAM
GeForce 2 mx +
and umm, onboard sound.

But when I go from the char select screen it usually freezes on the way to server select....

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-02-2002 11:08:36 PM
300 watt I think, Drys. I don't have problems in other 3D games, though. Do you think EQ is causing more strain on my video card, even though I've completely uninstalled SoL? Worked fine before they started making all these changes.

And yeah, I updated the drivers. Even downgraded down from 23.11 Detonator to 21.83 because people were saying there were problems with 23.11.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Lyinar ]

Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-03-2002 12:18:28 AM
quote:
Lyinar thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
300 watt I think, Drys. I don't have problems in other 3D games, though. Do you think EQ is causing more strain on my video card, even though I've completely uninstalled SoL? Worked fine before they started making all these changes.

Hmmmm.. if it worked fine before, that makes me less likely to suspect power, then (300W is kinda low for an AMD/GeForce2+ combo, though it mainly depends on what else the power supply is feeding by way of peripherals, etc.) The next two places I'd look would be video and sound drivers, and it looks like you've already tried swapping around some video drivers.

Have you checked out sound drivers at all?

Miandor
Pancake
posted 01-03-2002 03:55:25 AM
quote:
Kennatsu had this to say about (_|_):
I'm not sure, but I had that problem with my RIVA TNT2 card... I set my AGP transfer rate to 1x to fix it... I used a program called Rivatuner to do that. Now, however it works fine, though my AGP port maxes out at 2x (my GE Force 2 MX400 supports 4x)

Ill have to try that, same card and same problems.

You got a link for Rivatuner?

Miandor 56th High Elf Magician
Tulerin Hippyassassin 54th Wood Elf hippy rogue
Myriad Tholuxe Paells
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 01-03-2002 03:59:55 AM
quote:
Miandor had this to say about John Romero:
Ill have to try that, same card and same problems.

You got a link for Rivatuner?

It used to be at Guru3D, but that site seems to be gone. Still, I've seen copies of that program floating around the net (and I kept my copy as well)

Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 01-03-2002 04:26:03 AM
I dunno, I'm running an AMD XP running at 1050 (Should be 1400) mgz and a GeForce2 Mx400 just fine. I looked in the case and I think it says the maximum output is 95 watts.

Maybe I'm just insane.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
Ryuujin
posted 01-03-2002 04:46:38 AM
quote:
Lyinar wrote this stupid crap:
Anyone else with a GeForce experiencing the freezing up problem?

Those with GeForces, do you have AMD systems, and is it GeForce 2 or 3? I freeze up every time I go into EQ less than 5 minutes after getting into the world, and I have NO idea what's going on. The dev boards aren't very helpful either.

I had that problem, install the lastest drivers suggested by EQ on www.everquest.com

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 01-03-2002 06:05:06 AM
my comp: PIII 600, 576mb ram, Geforce2mx400 64mb video, sblive! Xgamer. newest drivers for sound video and of course dx8.1 Texture caching on,all models on, minimal chop in SharVal and Shadowhaven.

Syns comp: Athlon 1700 XP, 512 mb ram, same videocard, no sound yet(it dinnae like SB cards) same drivers, same configuration, almost no chop at all. both running on a shared 640k DSL line. both running PC133 memory

Aside from the occasional lockup on her machine (still havent worked out all the bugs) we've experienced little to no problems with EQ

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-03-2002 09:36:51 PM
Those are the drivers that started this whole mess, Ryu.

Before I upgraded to Detonator 23.11, things were fine. I've downgraded, but I'm still having trouble.

And I just installed Atlantis, the Lost Tales last night, Drys, and it's doing the same thing. But my Odyssey game was fine before as well as EQ before all these changes. So I doubt it's the power supply.

Prometheus
Pancake
posted 01-03-2002 10:18:32 PM
Emerald Jungle and Trakanon's Teeth are considered "Old World" now?
Prometheus
"Forethought"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-03-2002 10:21:32 PM
Prometheus: You retired?

We need more on Sol Ro, not less. I'm so loooonely.

MadCat
Pancake
posted 01-04-2002 04:47:09 AM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Hmmmm.. if it worked fine before, that makes me less likely to suspect power, then (300W is kinda low for an AMD/GeForce2+ combo, though it mainly depends on what else the power supply is feeding by way of peripherals, etc.) The next two places I'd look would be video and sound drivers, and it looks like you've already tried swapping around some video drivers.

Have you checked out sound drivers at all?

You mean that failing power or low power can lead to lockups? Hm.. guess that explains my problem then.

AMD Athlon 750, GeForce2 MX400 - a 300W power supply feeding the board, 3 harddisks, 1 cd-rom drive, 1 USB webcam and 1 USB joystick.

Think that's a problem?

"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that motherfucker upside the head."

--
madcat@ghostfield.com

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 01-04-2002 08:49:29 AM
Aye, from what I understand of my limited tech knowledge, the power strain causes fluctuations in the installed RAM and onboard caches. When the normal flow of electricity is disrupted in (the power up sequence in the memory, not sure the tech term). Boom. lockup. Crash.

It's almost similiar to cardiac arrest. Powersupply is the blood to the motherboards heart and blood vessels. When the blood flow is disrupted. heart attack.

Now that i think about it, maybe thats whats causing the random lockups on Syn's new rig.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-05-2002 12:29:33 AM
Yes, low power can do that

Before I replaced this power supply, which is used, my system locked up constantly

Now it's just doing it when I try to play games, except once it froze when I had IE open

Aaniele
Pancake
posted 01-05-2002 01:02:53 AM
I got an AMD Athlon 1.2 gig, and GeForce 2, and it works fine. This does sound like a problem I had a while back. Try disableing virus programs before you go online. Both Norton and McAfee did that to me, and it was easilly fixed by turning them off.
"a friend will help you move, a really good friend will help you move a body"
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-05-2002 07:00:16 AM
quote:
MadCat had this to say about Optimus Prime:
You mean that failing power or low power can lead to lockups? Hm.. guess that explains my problem then.

AMD Athlon 750, GeForce2 MX400 - a 300W power supply feeding the board, 3 harddisks, 1 cd-rom drive, 1 USB webcam and 1 USB joystick.

Think that's a problem?

Yeah, might wanna look into a 400 MadCat. Im running a DVD Drive, a CDRW, 3 HDs, a Floppy, a GF2 Ultra off of the power supply, and ive never had a power related problem.

Had one before back in the day with a 200 Watt power supply and a TNT2 tho

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: