EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Top Five
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 06:51:45 PM
Books with really cool endings and/or subplots, that make you go, "Hmmmmm." In no particular order.

1. Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell

2. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

3. The Chronicles of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin (excluding the newer ones)

4. The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny

5. The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov (without the follow-on communism nonsense)

Any others?

{Okay, you caught me, I'm looking for good books to read, and only trash seems to have been published, lately.}

{Disclaimer: let's keep a modicum of literary integrity, here. Don't suggest anything Ravenloft or Dragonlance, for example. Ugh.}

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Solstyce
Vampiric pixie that might eat your face, if you're lucky
posted 12-27-2001 06:53:19 PM
Ressurection Man by Sean Stewart. You will grow to LOVE THIS AUTHOR. The book is... just... powerful, creepy, sucks you in and makes you really love the characters. same for Nobody's Son by the same author.
Shhh. Everyone will hear us. Everyone will know.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 07:02:01 PM
What genre is that? I rarely read outside SF or Fantasy for pleasure. I get too much "real literature" in the course of my studies, and too much history, poli sci, military theory, and international relations for work.

Solstyce
posted 12-27-2001 07:36:12 PM
... uh... crap, fitting that into a genre is bad. Modern-day fantasy, I'd give it, though there's no swords n magic there.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 07:39:16 PM
Thanks. I'll look it up next time I'm at Barnes & Noble.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-27-2001 08:10:15 PM
Sharon Shinn is a great author. Her Archangel series, Archangel, Jovah's Angel and The Alleluia Files are an interesting take on theology. They're sci-fi, but you don't realize it until the second in the series, when you realize more of the truth about their creator, Jehovah/Jovah. I would highly recommend them, and her book Wrapt in Crystal.

I'm currently reading a Phillip Pullman book called The Golden Compass. Don't know if you've read it, and it's really a more young adult book I suppose, but the series is supposed to be wonderful and sort of like Harry Potter, not just for kids. I like another of his series that I've read, the Sally Lockhart books, Ruby in the Smoke, Shadow in the North and Tiger in the Well. They're set in Victorian London and they involve some interesting intrigue.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 08:16:37 PM
You want sub-plots? I got your sub-plots right here: The Illuminatus Trilogy (one very long book, not three, despite the title), by Robert Shea and Robert Wilson. This is one of the most interesting, entertaining books I have read. Heavy conspiracy-theory stuff; there's hardly a conspiracy within the past millenium that this book doesn't consider. Wild stuff

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 12-27-2001 08:19:14 PM
The Otherland series by Tad Williams ^.^
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 08:19:45 PM
I dont know if I should mention this, but I will anyway. I'm reading the Hitchhikers Guide for the very first time. Dunno why I waited so long, its so durned funny!

My sister had it in a wonderful leather bonded tome, with Hitchhiker's guide, The Resturant at the end of the universe, Life, the Universe, and Everything, So long, and thanks for all the fish, and two others that escape me at the moment... or maybe one. Anyway, I'm more then 3/4 of the way through the book, and i've been reading since late christmas day.

SOOOO many jokes that have been posted on this board, along with Joojooflop's name make sense now! Maybe you should read it again.

Three books that i've read recently that were really good hardcore sci-fi: Revelation: Space by Alistair Renoylds (Sp? Bah!) and Manifold: Time and Manifold: Space by Stephen Baxter.

Revelation: Space has a pretty good storyline, though in the beginning it is difficult to figure out who all the people are/were/when because it keeps jumping around. Stick with it, it gets good.

Manifold: Time and space can be read in either order, but Time makes Space that much more involving (Since, I belive its a tad longer). The characters are the same, but a few minor differences in the past skr00 with the storyline.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 08:29:38 PM
Heres some of my fav. books:

-The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

-The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

-Any thing by David Eddings

-Mercedes Lackey is pretty good so far as ive read

-The Crown Of Stars by Kate Elliot

-The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

-Good Omens by niel gaiman & Terry Pratchett

-"Waiting for the Galactic Bus" & "The Snake Oil Wars" by Parke Godwin

-The Myth Series by Asprin ( cant remeber his first name)

thats all i can think of for right now, and yes, i am a book worm, i do read about 2 books a week, an i rarly read any thing under 2oo pages

A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-27-2001 08:31:03 PM
Lucifer's Hammer - Niven and Pournell

The Stand - King (best story EVER)

Mommy Laid an Egg - (look in the kids' section of the library, it'll be worth the "There goes a pedophile" stares)

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-27-2001 08:36:54 PM
Delphi, the fifth Hitchhiker's book is Mostly Harmless

And Daemon, if you like Good Omens, read the rest of Terry Pratchett. There were elements of Gaiman in that book, but most of the comedy I recognized as Pratchett's from his books, especially the Discworld series.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 08:51:00 PM
Oh, goody! I'll have to look some of those up.

Though I can't hang with Tad Williams: his style was so pretentious on the one book I started that I avoid him like the plague. He's the fantasy equivalent of SF's Robert L. Forward. Bleh.

I'm picky--one of the dangers of being an English major.

Anyone who's read Hitchiker's should also read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. Very funny.

I'm starting to read Pratchett, since I can use the humor. Already read most of Robert Aspririn's Myth series.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 12-27-2001 08:55:28 PM
What's wrong with dragonlance?
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 08:59:17 PM
quote:
Blind Swordsman had this to say about Cuba:
What's wrong with dragonlance?

Not up to my literary standards. Waaaay too formulaic.

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 09:05:58 PM
ive been meanin to read the dic world seires, but ive keep going to oter books, another good series is the Clive Cussler "Dirk Pitt Novels" the guy is just too cool, sorta like an ameican james bond,but just so much better.
A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
The Unknown
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 09:16:10 PM
Whenever books are mentioned I repeat this like a broken record but . . .

A Song of Ice and Fire

George R. R. Martin

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 09:19:42 PM
I really like George R. R. Martin. I've read the first two . . .

. . . but they're so damn depressing I keep putting off getting the rest. In the first one, nearly every character I gave a damn about either died or was horribly maimed. He does such a great job with the setting, the oncoming winter just settles into my bones.

Interesting orbital implications, btw, with the oddly timed, lengthy winters. Been thinking about that one, but too lazy to do any math to see.

I'll read that one when I'm feeling irrepressibly happy, and need something to bring me back to reality.

Squire Twitch
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 09:32:42 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Not up to my literary standards. Waaaay too formulaic.

""Look at me, I'm too smart and advanced to read a best selling series""

STFU. If you dont like it, you dont like it, but dont pretend its beneath you.

My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 09:35:32 PM
It is beneath me.

Thanks for playing.

If that hurts your feelings, then perhaps you should indulge in some self-improvement, rather than lash out at those with more refined taste.

Neener.

Squire Twitch
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 09:40:31 PM
Ok.. its beneath you...

Nevermind that the series has sold millions of copies worldwide. Nevermind that Weis and Hickman could sign toilet paper and it be worth more than your life.

You're "More refined"

Whatever you say, skippy

My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt
Soldar
I'll take two of anything, please. To go.
posted 12-27-2001 09:43:46 PM
Am I the only one who's read the Michael Moorcock series (or currently reading them)?

I don't know. I enjoyed them.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 09:46:02 PM
Since when does popularity define literary style, or even good writing?

You need an attitude check.

Unless you'd care to compare credentials in the field of literary criticism? I assure you, I'm quite qualified to hold the opinions I do.

Unlike the mass-market, "everyone else has one, so I must, too" crap you seem to be advocating in place of a rational approach to judging literature. Go back to your Hardy Boys, and watch Spot run some more; I'm sure you enjoy it immensely.

If you're going to barge into a thread and start something, you'd best have something going for you beyond, "STFU."

Otherwise, you just look silly.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 09:48:09 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Soldar was all like:
Am I the only one who's read the Michael Moorcock series (or currently reading them)?

I don't know. I enjoyed them.

Which one?

I've read several Moorcock books, and they're excellent. Classics of the genre.

I especially liked Dancers at the End of Time. Can't remember if that was part of a series, or not.

Solstyce
posted 12-27-2001 09:51:57 PM
I liked Dragonlance. Not enough to proclaim it the BEST THING EVER (and magic based on religion just made me angry). There were a few interesting concepts but the fact that the entire world revolved around a buncha bickering gods made me roll my eyes. I still enjoyed it, though. Kender are WAY WAY WAY too much fun to roleplay. I'm serious. Start one on a MUD somewhere, you WILL eventually slip into the mindset of a 5 year old on speed. Still, it wasn't bad. Not anywhere near the worst I've read, but not the best, either. If anyone dosen't like that, feel free to chew my ass. I liked it.
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 12-27-2001 09:55:37 PM
Dragonlance was a formula setter, not a formula follower.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 09:58:11 PM
Ah, no.

Shared worlds have been around a long time.

And the books are quite formulaic. And generally written by hacks, as well.

Not that you're not allowed to enjoy them, mind you. Just don't try to tell me they're well-written, or that I'd enjoy them.

They're not. I wouldn't.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 12-27-2001 09:59:04 PM
Greetings,

Twisted plots and a strong moral story? I recommend anything and everything written by James Marrow, the man is just sick with the way he plays with the reader's beliefs and expectations.

I would recommend reading his "Only Begotten Daughter" which is by far his best stand alone book. Also very good are "Towing Jehova", "Blameless in Abbadon", and "The Endless Footman" in that order.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 10:01:30 PM
How do you mean "moral plot"?

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 12-27-2001 10:08:57 PM
The original Dragonlance trilogy is what first got me hooked on fantasy so I can't say anything bad about it. It still is a wonderful story.

Heh..ya think George R. R. Martin is depressing, try Melanie Rawn..she kills every main character but a handful off :P

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Lashanna
noob
posted 12-27-2001 10:10:21 PM
I liked the Core 3 Dragonlance books (Autumn (Sp, that doesn't look right at all) Twilight, Winters Night, Spring Dawning), And yeah, so what if they were formulaic, I know the formula, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining....

Of course, I also read them when I was 11 and again at 13, maybe I should read them again...

I liked Wheel of Time, I read them all this year... I guess you could call it abit formulaic as well, you know how it will end, most likely, but He hasn't written the End yet, so it hasn't ended yet...

So yeah, you know the end, but it's getting there that the story is good. I enjoyed Wheel of Time. It had it's flaws, it's not the Best. Series. Ever. But out of any "recently" (as in, since 1960) written literature, it ranks pretty high up there for me.

One of the things that gets me is the people who read the Rainbow Six books, and Delta Force and all that... It's interesting stuff, but unless it's the REAL thing or it's Sci Fi, I don't care much for it. Realistic Fiction always bored the hell out of me... ("Hypotheticly, this could happen, buuuut... It didn't.")

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 10:30:11 PM
I liked Wheel of Time for a while, but Jordan completely lost control of his characters. And he comitted several mortal sins: he began re-using phrases over and over, and he felt he had to summarize the entire previous series in each new book.

Grrrr. He had such a great thing going with the first few.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 12-27-2001 10:32:46 PM
quote:
Lyinar had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

I'm currently reading a Phillip Pullman book called The Golden Compass. Don't know if you've read it, and it's really a more young adult book I suppose, but the series is supposed to be wonderful and sort of like Harry Potter, not just for kids. I like another of his series that I've read, the Sally Lockhart books, Ruby in the Smoke, Shadow in the North and Tiger in the Well. They're set in Victorian London and they involve some interesting intrigue.

The Golden Compass and the other two books in the trilogy are REALLY REALLY good. If you think it's kiddie-ish...wait until the Subtle Knife (2) and Amber Spyglass (3), there is death, killing, plot twists and even a little sex. HIGHLY Reccomended

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 12-27-2001 10:58:14 PM
Bloodsage, you might like the 9th.. much better than the others IMHO, kinda back to the first ones. And since there's a summary at the beginning...
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 11:14:39 PM
Now, I myself have never read it, but my da swears by Neil Gaiman's Neverhwere.

Before I forget, I'm pleased to see that you have a legitimate complaint about WoT. You wouldn't believe how many people I've met who dislike the series because, "It's too wordy." Peons!

Anyway, back the matter at hand. You might try Grendel. As you may imagine, it's a retelling of Beowulf which casts Grendel as the tragic hero. Fairly cool.
If you're feeling brave, you might try the Rift War series. Raymond Feist can really turn a phrase, making the chapters aesthitcally pleasing reads. Sadly, his plot progression is lacking, and the two books I read are very flighty and disjointed. If you want to give it a try anyway, start with Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master.

Now it's back to the old business. Hacktastic work like Ravenloft novels or most any Star Trek fanfiction are rarely insightful or creative, but that's partially by design. They're strictly entertainment value, diversions. Not everything can or should be Faulkner, y'know?

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2001 11:22:05 PM
I've read the Rift War series, and I like them.

My wife, oddly enough, is currently reading Neverwhere; I'll have to pick it up when she's done.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 12-27-2001 11:25:56 PM
quote:
Bloodsage stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I've read the Rift War series, and I like them.

My wife, oddly enough, is currently reading Neverwhere; I'll have to pick it up when she's done.

Bloodsage.

Pratchett. Gaiman. Good Omens. Must get. Pratchett's humour and story telling with Gaiman's scene setting.

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 11:36:59 PM
quote:
Bloodsage thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I liked Wheel of Time for a while, but Jordan completely lost control of his characters. And he comitted several mortal sins: he began re-using phrases over and over, and he felt he had to summarize the entire previous series in each new book.

Grrrr. He had such a great thing going with the first few.

just a tad, like the 3, 4 and 5 books i think are a little boring and repetitive, but his later books are awsome, like in the latest book, Winter Heart, he finaly admits his love to adhavia, or something like that, Elain, and Min, and they confess their love to him, the scene is hilarios, Nyvgyen is stunned speechless, and Rand manages to cleanse the male half of the power, the book is just plain awsome, i dying for the next one

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Daemon_Reaper ]

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 11:43:29 PM
No quote (the above post)

a massive spoiler crushes YOU for 785 points of damage!
You have been slain by a massive spoiler!
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
You have entered Barnes & Noble
You say, "Hail, a sales clerk."
a sales clerk says, "Oh, hello there Sentow! Are you here to [return a book]?"
You say, "I am here to return a book."

Spoilers are bad, m'kay?

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Rowyl
Pancake
posted 12-27-2001 11:44:17 PM
One I really like is Neal Stephenson. I've Read 'The Diamond Age' 'Snow Crash' and 'Cryptonomicon' and I have 'Zodiac' in my stack of to be read soon books.

I've also enjoyed several of the Star Wars books, but the ones I hold above the others are the Kevin J. Anderson, Kathy Tyers, and Timothy Zahn ones. I've fallen behind though on these so there are a bunch of newer ones that I have not read.

I enjoyed Prachett's DiscWorld stuff for a while, but after like the 7th or 8th I got a little bored. I'm told it picked back up again, so I am considering going back to that.

Currently I am reading 'The Quark And The Jaguar' (mainly because of your mention on a different thread) and am enjoying it. I like to alternate between fiction (mostly SF with some fantasy) and non-fiction. By the way, have you read 'The Particle Garden' by Gordon Kane? It's a bit old now(1996), but I really enjoyed his explaination of the stuff. That book was where I first read a decent explaination of the 'color force' and just how quarks go together to make the other particles. Anyway, if you have not read it, I'd recommend it. It sort of has a similar feel to 'The Quark And The Jaguar' in that it's a Scientist explaining things in a more general populace accessable way.

Also, on a similar path, but a different field 'Code:The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware And Software' by Charles Petzold is a very enjoyable read. Whether you are a programmer or not. Check it out.

-Rowyl
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: