EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I am looking for D&D puzzles.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-25-2006 02:13:16 PM
I've been searching for a website that would contain puzzles for me to challenge my players with in D&D. They don't necessarily have to be designed for use in D&D, but I was hoping to find some creative puzzles that other DMs have used and have since published on the internet for other DMs to use or adapt. Some sort of resource like that is what I am looking for. I must not know exactly what to type into Google, because the results I am getting are not anywhere near what I am looking for.

If anyone has a good resource for this type of thing, I would be very grateful if you could post it for me. Also, if any of you DMs have some good non-combat challenges like this that your players have agonized over, feel free to share!

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 07-25-2006 02:34:38 PM
Dude, I've played D&D with you. You as a DM scares the shit out of me, but at the same time sends me into a fit of laughter. That night we hung out at Fae's with Rob and Monica was the greatest night of D&D ever.

As for resources.. there's actually a D&D released book called Traps and Challenges or something such. I have it, courtesy of my buddy Tim, and it's plenty helpful for ideas. Using it directly though, means people will read it and know the outcomes.

Other than that, bits and pieces from random places on the web combined with imagination will be your best bet.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-25-2006 02:41:41 PM
Yeah, I've been hoping to find the "Holy Grail" of puzzle ideas somewhere. I just end up taking puzzles from the various RPGs I've played, or from movies. I used the water-weight-bomb trap from Die Hard With A Vengeance once.

In Suikoden, when you go into the vault of the Dwarves, there's a simple puzzle involving two buttons on the ground, with eight lights. If you press the right button, one of the lights on its side light's up. If you press the wrong button, you have to start over. It's as simple as figuring out a pattern such as left, left, right, right, left, right, left, right. I put the same puzzle on a wall instead of a floor and my PCs spent over an hour trying to figure out it's complexities that didn't exist, heh.

And yeah Bajah, I've gotten much better as both a player and as a DM. I am pretty good at finding ways to keep my players entertained and interested, and I also don't have the "the DM must kill the players as much as possible" mentality that several of our past DMs have had. My biggest problem, though, is coming up with puzzles and stuff.

I do remenisce about that night of D&D at Fae's house though. That was great. "I'm uh...Death?"

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 07-25-2006 at 02:42 PM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 07-25-2006 02:47:55 PM
Barkeep: You stole my tableware! It was here, I turned away, and now it's gone!

Dens: Er, wasn't me!

Barkeep: You're the only one here! GET OUT! GET OUT OF MY INN!

Dens: Okay. So can I get that breakfast then?

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-25-2006 02:57:51 PM
Mathimatic Puzzles for DnD

Not A Trapped Door

Book of Tricks and Traps

The Traps Collection Part 1
The Traps Collection Part 2

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-25-2006 03:05:14 PM
quote:
Katrinity had this to say about Duck Tales:
Mathimatic Puzzles for DnD

Not A Trapped Door

Book of Tricks and Traps

The Traps Collection Part 1
The Traps Collection Part 2

...I love you.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-25-2006 03:12:15 PM
Look here for that Book of Tricks and Traps link.

Seems they don't like directly linking to the zip file.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-25-2006 03:13:09 PM
quote:
Densetsu got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
...I love you.

Hope those help.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-25-2006 03:28:44 PM
quote:
Katrinity stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Hope those help.

Immensely. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: