EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: It's gone
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-02-2001 06:52:00 PM
Since the 5th grade, for over 7 years I've played Alto Saxophone. Well, I haven't picked up my instrument in over 8 months, not since probably last Christmas.

Last night it was gone. no, my instrument is still here, but my talent is gone!

It's like there was always this place in my heart filled with my affinity for music, ya know? Now, just all of a sudden, it feels empty. I don't really think just being out of practice is it...it feels like it was stolen. If it had just been fading skill from not playing it, then it would have just felt like it was deteriorating, but it's just suddenly gone.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Riversong
Pancake
posted 08-02-2001 08:28:00 PM
i played flute for 9 years and then all of a sudden quit. and hadn't played for 2 years. it just wasn't fun anymore and that is what i wanted it to be for me. (damn high school bands and all their competition and favoritism)

however, i started missing it the last couple weeks and picked it up to play...for me, it was still there. maybe you just have to take some time until you start missing it to give a little spark to your performance.

~*Riversong Averangel*~
56th level wandering bard on SolRo

image from: BlueRaven's Vault

Tian
dr00d
posted 08-02-2001 08:32:00 PM
I feel your pain monkey man, I used to be able to sing back in the day....but now, thanks to that god awful puberty thing I sound like the pimple kid from The Simpsons...well not really but it's close enough. I never sing now...*cries*
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 08-02-2001 09:04:00 PM
Actually, same kind of thing happened here.

My bachelor's degree is in Tuba Performance. After I graduated, have had a quite stressful computer job, and no time for practice.

Now my skills are way down, and hard to even get back in the mood to start practicing again.

But, one thing that I found that helped is listening to some of my favorite tuba, band, and orchestral recordings.

It kinda helps get the spirit up, and add motivation to edure the long road to getting my skills back up.

What I've found over the years is the key thing to make any kind of music practice work is to make sure you are motivated to get better, otherwise you will end up not getting much of anything done.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-02-2001 09:13:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cherveny:

But, one thing that I found that helped is listening to some of my favorite tuba, band, and orchestral recordings.

It kinda helps get the spirit up, and add motivation to edure the long road to getting my skills back up.

Really...

Starts listening to some Candy Dulfer

Thanks for the advice

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: Densetsu the pet MONKey ]

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 08-02-2001 09:18:00 PM
*wishes she could pick up her violin and play.. but its still in texas**sigh*
"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 08-02-2001 09:44:00 PM
I haven't picked up my trumpet in three years

I really should get it down again and play it.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 08-02-2001 09:51:00 PM
I laugh at your pain, talentless hacks!

Mwa ha ha ha!

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 08-02-2001 09:54:00 PM
I can still playa da drums!
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: