EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: FF movie =ownage! (some spoilers)
Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 07-11-2001 07:26:00 PM
Frist off, let me say this: The FF movie more then makes up the the DnD movie.

The plot is classic Squaresoft, the CGI is amazing, and the DR Ross is Hot!

also, who thinks that Zeus fireing = Bhamut(sp) Zero frieing?

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Fennar ]

Veni, vidi, vici
Alleria Qui'farush
Chica!
posted 07-11-2001 07:27:00 PM
It's ZEUS
Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 07-11-2001 07:31:00 PM
Thats what I said.
Veni, vidi, vici
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-11-2001 08:26:00 PM
I would have preferred if the movie had an ending though, would have wrapped things up nicely... but then again it tends to be a Squaresoft tradition to do endings like that (Heck, it reminded me SO MUCH of Final Fantasy 7's)

Overall I enjoyed it though, a few problems like the hair in zero-g but it was farrr too impressive to marr it.

I personally liked Hein, he made a good villain

Solstyce
Vampiric pixie that might eat your face, if you're lucky
posted 07-12-2001 02:39:00 AM
Very reminiscent of FF7, but it still was a good movie.

Personally preferred Neil and Jane the best. Neil's a greay, NEEDED comic releif, and Jane's absolutely perfect; laughable even though the character isn't trying to be funny. Hein was kind of a crappy villain: s'true he was warped for losing family to the phantoms, but a lot of people lost family to them, mmm? And they're not that warped. Plus, he's warped to the point of being stupid. Firing the Zeus cannon even though it was going to blow up was just pure stupidity, and even he should have known that.

Still think it wa a good movie, though.

Shhh. Everyone will hear us. Everyone will know.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-12-2001 02:45:00 AM
I thought the movie was great

I'm not going to give anything away here, though. Just say that everyone should go see it.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

LeMiere
posted 07-12-2001 02:50:00 AM
.. Lead male role's hair = Bad... bad bad.. bad bad bad..
Oh well.. it was pretty good for not truely being made by the real script and story writers of FF...
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-12-2001 04:02:00 AM
Straight from finalfantasy.com

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is based on a story by director Hironobu Sakaguchi, the visionary creator of the Final Fantasy interactive game series.

You were saying?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Peter
Pancake
posted 07-12-2001 05:03:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Solstyce:
Very reminiscent of FF7, but it still was a good movie....

Probaly Becuse Square Had to start makeing the movie Right around the time they Made FF7

LeMiere
posted 07-12-2001 05:51:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lyinar:
Straight from finalfantasy.com

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is based on a story by director Hironobu Sakaguchi, the visionary creator of the Final Fantasy interactive game series.

You were saying?

*blinks* B-b-but.... umm.. I remember... reading something about...

ahh.. nevermind... yes.. it was good.. but I still feel it attempted to appeal to the mass public as opposed to the types that the FF series general appeals to.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-12-2001 06:23:00 AM
It would have been far better if they had used the characters out of 8-bit theater in it instead
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 07-12-2001 07:01:00 AM
hate to tell you, but even thpough most of the ff series was fgreat it was trying to appael to the mass puplic. well maybe not 6and under but c'mon, evryonone and his brother owned a copy of ff7. ff8 was just a piece of crap and they made a radical mocve that i realy like with nine. And yet through all of these i still think ff5 is the best of the sireis.

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Lalian Viajante
Pancake
posted 07-12-2001 08:13:00 AM
I thought it was a great movie
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 07-12-2001 08:43:00 AM
Warning : Major spoilers ahead.
What has been a mainstay of the FF series from start to (current) end? Magic.

It was there in 1, 2, and 3 for the NES. Been there in 4-6 for the SNES. Now in 7-9 for the PSX, it's still there, in some form. Even in FF7/FF8 where the fantasy element has been replaced with technology, it's still there.

It wasn't in the movie =/

The movie was good, but I don't think it was Final Fantasy good. The main characters shot up some phantoms, but there was no climactic ending battle like I was praying for, the villain was a dip (read sol's comments), who we never even got to see fight =(, the main character was a wuss, though the first part where she had the flare gun was cool...

The part where the phantoms invaded was cool, except the fact that there were times when you'd see the guns firing and there would be no bullets at all! Especially annoying because I thought the bullet effects were cool, and they only seemed to be there half the time.

The ending was so-so, I swore Aeris' face was going to pop up there, I was just WAITING for it.

The soundtrack was also only so-so, Nobuo would have had a field day and produced a masterpiece... if only he had... sigh.

The effects are great, I'll give it that, the phantoms are WONDERFUL, and there are times when I honestly wouldn't have been able to distinguish between a live-action movie and this CG movie. The biggest downfall of those, would have been the face and hands, which are very difficult to do properly, and they did wonderfully despite this.

It did have two great trailers before it, Spider-Man and Planet Of the Apes....

Those are just my opinions, though.

tallayan
Resident Psychopath
posted 07-12-2001 09:04:00 AM
personally i dont think hein was really a meant to be a villan, he didnt MEAN to injure the earth after all, and didnt MEAN to let the phantoms destory the entire city, and he did belive that what he was doing was right, and blowing up the zeus cannon, well he almost comitited suicide earliar.
"Some have said theres no subtley to destruction. You know what? They're dead.
-Wandering mage

From the Inferno MTG card

Akin
The Gray Elf
posted 07-12-2001 09:21:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Solstyce:
Very reminiscent of FF7, but it still was a good movie.

Personally preferred Neil and Jane the best. Neil's a greay, NEEDED comic releif, and Jane's absolutely perfect; laughable even though the character isn't trying to be funny. Hein was kind of a crappy villain: s'true he was warped for losing family to the phantoms, but a lot of people lost family to them, mmm? And they're not that warped. Plus, he's warped to the point of being stupid. Firing the Zeus cannon even though it was going to blow up was just pure stupidity, and even he should have known that.

Still think it wa a good movie, though.

true, many people have realy bad things happen in real life, but most don't get OBSESSED with them. So it is realistic.

Grey elves rock.
"Nuclear launch detected."
"There is no 'I' in teaim."
-Akin the ex-*official* Gnomish Wizard/tank of Xegony and officer of Revived Alliance
-Aknorals, the Dwarvish Enchanter of Dark Mists
Drysart says I can beat him 100 times on the head with the HORIZONS box when it comes out.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 07-12-2001 09:34:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mog:
hate to tell you, but even thpough most of the ff series was fgreat it was trying to appael to the mass puplic. well maybe not 6and under but c'mon, evryonone and his brother owned a copy of ff7. ff8 was just a piece of crap and they made a radical mocve that i realy like with nine. And yet through all of these i still think ff5 is the best of the sireis.

I don't get it. "Hate to tell you..."? Oh well. Maybe I'm not supposed to.

The movie rocked. I admit, it didn't have some of the action I was expecting, but it was damn good, and the CG was mind-blowing.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-12-2001 01:42:00 PM
I feel I must post since I saw the first showing on the first day

One thing: If you went to the movie and expected it to be crap, then guess what, it was. If you were expecting too much from a movie, then you ruined it for yourself, sorry. A movie differs GREATLY from a game. A video game is interactive, and in many of them, you choose the path that you want throughout the game, even if many parts are linear. A movie can only be one way. It's not interactive. If you expected it to be a Final Fantasy game that you didn't actually have to play, then you had the wrong expectations. For a movie, it was DAMN good, and SOOO much better than many other movies that have been coming out.

One of the only things I didn't like was, but didn't really detract from the movie, was that they killed off so many characters. It reminded me of Final Fantasy IV, heh. Even though they spelled his name different(not nessesarily WRONG, but different, that's allowed), they had Cid(spelled Sid). I thought that was really cool, there were also other elements that FF fans would notice and just say "Hey, I know about that!"

The biggest fault was, yes I'm obsessed, the music. Nobuo Uematsu did NOT do the music, so some it it was kinda cheesy-ish. that was really the ONLY mistake, but maybe Nobuo was busy with the music for FFX, who knows, oh well. I won't discount the whole movie just for that.

I really do think it's an EXPERIENCE that everyone should have

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Densetsu the pet MONKey ]

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Otku
I am no longer an idiot.
posted 07-12-2001 04:04:00 PM
wee! i just saw it yesterday, it was GREAT! i loved it!
altho.. i think when they first fired off the Zeus cannon they should have started playing the one winged angel
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-12-2001 04:48:00 PM
I think if you go to see Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, you have to go understanding that you're seeing a 2 hour movie. Not a 40+ hour video game campaign. If you're going to expect some sense of transcendental bliss, well, there are very few movies (hell very few movie series) that can tell that sort of story.

Likewise, this was not in the end a Final Fantasy game story. All of the Final Fantasy games, from FF 1 to Tactics to 7, 8, and 9, all have strong elements of Japanese culture, ethos, and mythology firmly imbedded in their core. FF:TSW didn't have the same base; it was based in AMERICAN culture, or at best a hybrid cultural background.

I personally liked it. I thought it was well written, interesting, and I loved the computer animation. If that's what they can do with computer animation in this day and age, I say bring it on. Give me more. The only weird sensation was the fact that I recognized the voices (Alec Baldwin, James Woods, Steve Buscemi, Ming Na, Donald Sutherland, Ving Rhames, etc) but their characters often times looked NOTHING like their real life selves. This was different from, say, a Disney animated film because these characters looked very realistic. I want to see more of this animation style.

Villains...were there villains in this movie? I think that the nearest thing to villains in this were these vastly tragic characters. General Hein was tragic because he did the precisely wrong things for the right reasons, and caused catastrophic damage and loss. The issue with Hein wasn't "well lots of other people lost family...this jerk couldn't deal with it", the issue with Hein was that he WAS dealing with it. He was trying to do the right thing. He was just a jerk rabid for revenge. The other "Villains" in this movie were the phantoms. But they weren't really villains either; they were lost souls, and rather than go to where they were supposed to go, they were ripped up and shot onto another world alien to them, unable to commune with this (to them) alien Gaia force. Yes they caused massive numbers of deaths and wrought terrible destruction. But it wasn't like they were inherently evil.

I liked the characters. They of course threw in Cid (Dr Sid in this case...which irked me because I'm used to "Cid" being his first name...sort of like calling someone Doctor Bob or Doctor Jill), and we didn't see other recurring roles (like Alexander Summons/GF etc) that would have been nice to see in some form or another.

Yes FF:TSW had lots of parallels to FF7. The Zeus cannon reminded me a LOT (especially in its deployment) of the Sister Ray mounted on Junon (and later Midgar) in FF7. The giant phantoms reminded me a lot of the Weapons. The vehicles, however, reminded me of FF8. Aki's space ship looked, if you ask me, an awful lot like the Ragnarok from FF8 if it were snub-nosed.

So...in the end, I think the movie is worth seeing. It is an FF movie in soul if not implementation. I want to see more FF movies (perhaps one more fantasy-based next time) in the future.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: