EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Know any good books?
Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 12-31-2004 02:30:10 AM
I got a $75 gift card for B&N, and i'm looking for good books, mainly sci-fi or fantasy.
A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 12-31-2004 02:36:38 AM
look for the words, "Neil Gaiman"
MorbId
Pancake
posted 12-31-2004 02:39:21 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Y.O.T.C said:

Wise words. The Black Company is also good.

I really like David Gemmell's work. Especially the Jon Shannow books and his more recent Rigante series. Not everyone cares for his style, though.

For epic, depressing fantasy, look for George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Edit: With a name like Death of Rats, I'm thinking you've already read some Discworld. In that case, try Good Omens, written by Gaiman and Pratchett.

MorbId fucked around with this message on 12-31-2004 at 02:45 AM.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 12-31-2004 02:44:45 AM
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card.
One of the most popular Sci-fi novels of the last quarter century, and with good reason. If you haven't read it, you probably should. Also the logical first step to the rest of the series.

Stranger In A Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein.
One of the defining novels of the 70's. It's not necessarily the best ever written, but it's worth owning, and something that you should have read, if nothing but for the pop-culture value. Try to get the original version, not the censored one that was originally published.

Hideaway - Dean Koontz.
Probably one of the most stunning books I've ever read in terms of imagery, and pure horror value. Not strictly sci-fi, but should be appreciated by fans of the class (I'd class it as a drama, or thriller).

Angels & Demons - Dan Brown.
Prequel to The Davinci Code, a modern day cult classic. Also not strictly a sci-fi book, more of a thriller, but definatly a page-turner, and an interesting read. Not the best book ever written, but certainly entertaining.

Moving pictures - Terry Pratchett
Set in the discworld, it's a zany fantasy tale that really doesn't take itself seriously. I probably laughed more during this book than any other in memory. It's just fun. Thanks moogle.

Can't bring to mind any other books I've read lately that really stunned me, but I'm sure that there are others.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 12-31-2004 03:08:54 AM
Greetings,

Might I recommend the following;

1> Only Begotten Daughter - James Morrow
Religious satire at it's best.

2> Earth - David Brin
This man has a frightening vision of the future, because he just might be right.

3> War of the Flowers - Tad Williams
The book that tamed this obsessive writer's tendency to write a story in no less than four thousand pages.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-31-2004 03:14:46 AM
quote:
Burger had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card.
One of the most popular Sci-fi novels of the last quarter century, and with good reason. If you haven't read it, you probably should. Also the logical first step to the rest of the series.

Seconded

Demos
Pancake
posted 12-31-2004 03:22:59 AM
Terry Brooks! Sword of Shanarra, then Elfstones, and Wishsong. He has so much to offer. Also check out the Landover series which starts with "Magic Kingdom for Sale Sold".
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 12-31-2004 03:27:17 AM
quote:
Y.O.T.C had this to say about Punky Brewster:

1602 compendium is nice and cheap too. and so marvelicious.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-31-2004 04:05:20 AM
1602 is indeed tight.

Also worthwhile are

The Dark Knight Returns and sequel by Frank Miller

I want a 1603

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-31-2004 04:15:17 AM
I reccomend the Starfist series of books. I have read all nine, and cannot wait for the tenth to come out soon
Malkav
C'mon, fear the fangs... plz
posted 12-31-2004 04:23:15 AM
I would add anything by William Gibson.
Silently, the unnamed Senshi drew a small jewel-hilted athame from some form of pocket-space, and lightly ran it across the back of her left hand. Good, she wasn't one of those fools that slashed their palm open whenever one of the various reasons to use blood arose. I did the same with my own vorpal-bladed athame. It was a much plainer affair than my counterpart's, but I bet hers couldn't call up a higher-level demon just by carving a smiley face in the ground.
-Ranma in Can it get any worse by Dark Phoenix
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 12-31-2004 04:29:12 AM
I just finished Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Not necissarily Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but a very good, heavy read. Very intellectually stimulating, if preachy at some times.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 12-31-2004 10:23:38 AM
I keep recommending this book in all these threads but no one seems to listen

Steven Erikson's series 'The Malazan Book of the Fallen' is the best work of fantasy storytelling I have ever read. There's not much else I can say really. I could write a long review but I'm too tired.

It begins with 'Gardens of the Moon' which is a tad confusing since it drops you straight in but it really hits its stride in the second book 'Deadhouse Gates' This book is completely and utterly fantastic. Just read it, damnit

quote:
A sleep deprived Malkav stammered:
I would add anything by William Gibson.

Except the newest one. It was so bad I even forgot its name.

Niklas fucked around with this message on 12-31-2004 at 10:26 AM.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-31-2004 10:28:19 AM
America (The Book)
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 12-31-2004 10:35:54 AM
There is a fairly new author, whose name escapes me at the moment.

She started a series, the first book is called The Green Rider, there is a second book to the series now.

I really enjoyed the first book, and I am looking forward to reading the second. It's a fantasy novel, Josh liked it too.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-31-2004 11:03:44 AM
Kristen Britain

The author in Nae's post that is

Lyinar Ka`Bael fucked around with this message on 12-31-2004 at 11:12 AM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 12-31-2004 11:10:42 AM
On The Road by Jack Kerouac
Alaan
posted 12-31-2004 12:04:27 PM
The Fifth Profession by David Morell is pretty good(mine is missing ). Action book where two high end body guards who saw each other die meet each other during a rescue attempt by the main character. This is one of the few books where I was "SADLJDSF MUST FINISH WHAT IS GOING ON" in a good way.

Also be Dean Koontz that I liked is From the Corner of His Eye. Kind of hard to explain without ruining anything. But definitely one of his better works that I've read. Hideaway is also quite good though.

Ares
posted 12-31-2004 12:38:18 PM
The Witches of Eilianan by Kate Foresythe. ^.^ It's a series of 6 books. my personal favourite.

Tad Williams is good too. He has a series that I'm reading right now, also 6 books.

Neil Gaiman.. I've read Stardust and really enjoyed that. It's a short book.

Ares
posted 12-31-2004 12:39:58 PM
quote:
Tyewa Dawnsister had this to say about Pirotess:

3> War of the Flowers - Tad Williams
The book that tamed this obsessive writer's tendency to write a story in no less than four thousand pages.

Yesh.. No kidding.. I'm reading one of his 6 book series.. I only have two of them thoughl.. (To Green Angel Tower 1&2)... Both just under 800 pages each.

Anklebiter
Pancake
posted 12-31-2004 01:31:23 PM
If you haven't read it, I highly recomend 1984 By George Orewell.

One of the classic Negative Utopia stories, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

EVE Online:
Asha Vahishta, Minmatar Pilot.
Ares
posted 12-31-2004 02:25:16 PM
quote:
Anklebiter had this to say about the Spice Girls:
If you haven't read it, I highly recomend 1984 By George Orewell.

One of the classic Negative Utopia stories, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

I need a thumbs down emote. I despise that book.

Demos
Pancake
posted 12-31-2004 02:54:01 PM
Its a great book. Definatly has a lot to teach. Another good one is Aldus Huxley's Brave New World, one of my favorites.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Lesage
APPROVED
posted 12-31-2004 02:55:11 PM
Jim Butcher, Jim Butcher, Jim Butcher!

The Dresden Files are highly amusing and as they progress get better and better!

Also put my name on the Gaimen rec. list.

Desperation and The Regulators by Richard Bachman (Steven King's EEEEEEEEEVIL alter ego) are also very good.

Premarital sex isn't worth it! You can catch AIDS, or cancer, or testicle weevils, or a bad body image or rickets. You know what IS worth it? Making love to Jesus. Because you can't knock Him up and He'll never ask what you're thinking – cuz He already knows!
^^Good times there!

Still always, Not-Dude.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 12-31-2004 03:32:02 PM
Rabin Crabmink
YES
posted 12-31-2004 03:40:22 PM
quote:
MorbId had this to say about pies:
For epic, depressing, fucking awesome, fantasy, look for George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Fixed and seconded

Rabin Crabmink fucked around with this message on 12-31-2004 at 03:41 PM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: