EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Just got counterstrike
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 04-13-2004 02:13:48 PM
So I just got Half life (some friends at school have been demanding that I rule their n00b asses in CS). I am currently downloading the CS mod. Anyone want to help me learn the basics and such?
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-13-2004 02:18:36 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Manticore:
So I just got Half life (some friends at school have been demanding that I rule their n00b asses in CS). I am currently downloading the CS mod. Anyone want to help me learn the basics and such?

1. Hop as much as possible when moving. But not when firing.

2. Use the AWP as much as possible. If the server has it disabled, use the shield (Or steal one) as much as possible.

3. ???

4. Profit.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 04-13-2004 02:19:17 PM
thanks... I think... what the fuck is Steam?

Where can I download the CS mod without paying $ for it?

Manticore fucked around with this message on 04-13-2004 at 02:20 PM.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-13-2004 02:24:38 PM
Ugh.

You have a HL CD key, right? Go www.steampowered.com and get the HL/CS installer files. Install steam. Register account. Use said CD key. Profit, you insufferable n00b.

nem-x
posted 04-13-2004 02:27:15 PM
Jumping slows you down.

Follow the player with the best score on your team.

Delphi Aegis
posted 04-13-2004 02:28:09 PM
quote:
nem-x wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Jumping slows you down.

Follow the player with the best score on your team.

BUT I AM A BUNY I LIKE CAROTS

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 04-13-2004 02:29:21 PM
so... jumping = bad?
Rabin Crabmink
YES
posted 04-13-2004 02:42:23 PM
This guide will help.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 04-13-2004 02:44:12 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Manticore said:
so... jumping = bad?

just get a good gun like the DE or p90 or that m16 clone and go with your gut.

tips
- Those crosshairs are smaller when you aim better
- Fire in short bursts. Never fire blindly in panic
- Either hide or don't stop moving
- Get to know your maps
- Go with your gut
- Work with people on your team
- Fiddle with mouse sensitivity
- Don't forget to reload

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Darius!
Pancake
posted 04-13-2004 02:50:52 PM
-Lose because everyone has been playing for 5 years except for you

Darius! fucked around with this message on 04-13-2004 at 02:51 PM.

Delphi Aegis
posted 04-13-2004 02:56:33 PM
Also, Did you get CS:CZ, or did you get a stock HL CD key? If the former, you need to follow the instructions given in the CS:CZ pack. If the latter, follow mine, but be aware that a lot of servers switched over to CZ.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 04-13-2004 03:05:00 PM
I just got regular Half Life.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 04-13-2004 03:38:33 PM
wow.. I really really suck, ok...
whats a good weapon to buy?
how do I duck?
how do I speak?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 04-13-2004 04:09:54 PM
quote:
Manticore had this to say about Optimus Prime:
wow.. I really really suck, ok...
whats a good weapon to buy?
how do I duck?
how do I speak?

m4a1 or the auto shotgun
ctrl
you need to bind a key to it. It's in your options. It's K by default, I think, but that's really obnoxious

Darius!
Pancake
posted 04-13-2004 04:25:00 PM
Desert Eagle is a good all-round pistol easy for beginners to use. For the most part you don't even have to aim very well. Just be prepared to duck back behind a corner because it only holds 7 bullets at a time, and you'll need to reload every couple seconds.

M4A1 is a good all-round weapon (CT only, but T are allowed to pick them up off the ground), good damage, fire power, accuracy, recoil is minimal, and it comes with a silencer.

Galil is a good all-round weapon (T only, but CT are allowed to pick them up off the ground), good damage, decent accuracy, small recoil, but you won't be able to shoot through walls without losing most of your damage potential. Also, it's loud and will give your position away. At least it's the cheapest rifle around.

Tips:
Buy Kevlar+Helmet whenever you can. Prepare to lose for a long time. Headshots are almost always a one-shot kill. Stay quiet; run near a spot where the other team will start to hear you if you make noise, and start walking until the coast is clear. Fire in 1-5 bullet bursts, depending on gun. You can shoot through wood crates/doors, and pieces of stone wall (as in stone boxes in Aztec, or through corners) with all rifles, and some other guns. Use that to your advantage.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 04-13-2004 04:27:50 PM
oh the ak.. if you get it, use it as a rifle instead of a machine gun... the kickback is insane but so is the damage
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Goma
Pancake
posted 04-13-2004 04:41:20 PM
#1: For the love of all that is holy DO YOUR OWN CONFIG. If its one thing that drives me up the wall the most is when people ask how to do something. Just go into the config and make it the way you want it! Finding you can't turn around fast enough? Change the sensitivity! That radio-command button too far away? Move it!

#2: As a Counter-Terrorist you DO NOT need a defuse kit to defuse the bomb! It just takes longer without one! I can't get over how many times I have seen idiots just stand and stare and then run away from the bomb because they thought they weren't able to defuse it.

#3: That riot sheild is a piece of garbage. If you're BRAND new to the game, you wont learn jack shit by taking one all the time. You don't know of the open spots on the shield yet. Hell, even with my extended knowledge of the game I never get the shield unless I want to fuck around or if the people I'm against really suck hard.

#4: Don't ask stupid assed questions like "omg what gun is kewl?". Try them all out! Come up with your own thing. Everyone says crap like "omg M4A1 and AK and MP5 aer the best dont use any other gun!"

VERY untrue. I know many an individual who are QUITE lethal with uncommon weapons. Do not underestimate anything. I, myself, used to be a king with the MAC10. As a CT I would actually DROP my rifle if I saw a MAC on the ground.

#5: My last piece of advice.. Don't listen to anyone here. Hell, you don't even need to listen to me! The only thing I ask of you is to just develop your own schtick with the game. You'll never get superiorly skilled if you play by someone else's rules.

nem-x
posted 04-13-2004 04:43:57 PM
Don't listen to goma, he's gone mad! MAD!!!!

And is there a model with a realistic pump animation for the m3, rather than the 'all up in your face so you can't see' reload movement?

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 04-13-2004 04:45:08 PM
Me = AWP whore.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 04-13-2004 04:50:25 PM
My favorite weapon was always the Bullpup. I loved that one for some reason, but everyone else said it sucked. It didn't have a great scope or anything on it. I don't know anything about how accurate it was or wasn't either. I probably just liked it for looks heh.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Sean
posted 04-13-2004 04:53:50 PM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about pies:
And is there a model with a realistic pump animation for the m3, rather than the 'all up in your face so you can't see' reload movement?

I had an excellent M3 model when I played, it was the old Winchester (Remington?) shotgun from Terminator 2, with the appropriate animations.

Ask Artt, he may still have it.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Goma
Pancake
posted 04-13-2004 04:54:56 PM
Arg, post is too old to edit! Oh well:

Okay, you can listen to us, but don't really take the TECHNIQUE advice to heart. It's good to know the basics, I agree.

But yeah.. Learn the basics from others, then after that develop your own thing.

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 04-13-2004 05:43:53 PM
I always used the TMP. Yeah, I'd die a lot. Yeah, I'd get two clips into a guy before he casually turned around and blew my head off. Yeah, I got very few kills. But I loved that gun.
Delphi Aegis
posted 04-13-2004 05:47:10 PM
I always liked the Styer Aug. It was the gun that one guy used in Die Hard.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 04-13-2004 06:22:10 PM
quote:
Sean's account was hax0red to write:
I had an excellent M3 model when I played, it was the old Winchester (Remington?) shotgun from Terminator 2, with the appropriate animations.

Ask Artt, he may still have it.

Not anymore.

I do have an alternate shotgun model, though. Can't remember if the anims are less obnoxious, lemme check.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 04-13-2004 06:58:34 PM
I love SMG's...
*Tal*
Pancake
posted 04-13-2004 07:15:49 PM
Always take the pussy weapons, and brag a lot when you TMP some fool from across the map.

the 5-7 requires you to shoot somebody in both eyes twice before they die.

nem has a sweet aimbot, called "AznHand" No, he wont send it to you.

If you think somebody is cheating, on a public server, they are.

If you accuse somebody of cheating on a public server they are not cheating, and you are a stupid noob with no leet skillz, yo.

If you have a hbit of runnin around a corner, getting off one shot, then getting owned like a little bitch, switch to the pump shotty, and aim high on the torso.

Dont flashbang your own team. YOU HEAR ME FUCKERS!

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 04-13-2004 08:01:45 PM
Ruvyen's advice for FPS games:

1. Shoot people until they die. In team based games, don't shoot your team members.

2. Avoid being shot, even by your own team members. Learn how to return fire while moving, even if the person shooting at you is on your team.

3. Friendly fire isn't. If a teammate is attacking you, and I don't mean they missed the enemy and accidentally hit you once, but if they're intentionally attacking you, then annihilate them without mercy. There ain't no room for TKers.

4. Unless the map is specifically made for camping, with all sorts of cover to hide behind, keep moving. Not only will you dodge bullets, but your teammates won't have to yell at you stuff like "FUCKiN MOVE BITCH" because they intend on dodging bullets and you're in their way.

5. If you're going to camp, for the love of god, DON'T CAMP THE SAME DAMN PLACE. There are likely a few other places around the map you can hide and wait for a kill to come along, and occasionally moving around isn't nearly as cheap. The exception here is sniper towers in the map, if any.

6. Remember to strafe. Strafe strafe strafe.

7. Learn how to circle-strafe your opponents, and use it when doing so would be tactically sound. In a one-on-one fight, circle-strafing will give you the advantage. You'll be harder to hit, while keeping your crosshairs on the enemy. If you would end up running into enemy fire, then for the love of God, DON'T circle-strafe. Find some cover instead.

8. In a heavy firefight, find some cover. Strafe out, fire a few shots, then strafe back behind the cover. Remember to avoid being shot.

9. He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. DO NOT engage a melee-weapon wielding opponent in melee. Hang back and take him out with ranged weapons. Then call him an idiot for bringing a sword to a gunfight. Fuggin' n00b. Also, occasionally check behind you for people coming up to stab you from behind. That's a good use of a melee weapon... NOT berserker charging.

10. Finally, aim for the torso most of the time. The head is an instant-kill, yeah, but the torso's far easier to hit, and is generally not too far away from an instant kill against an unarmoured opponent. Headshots are only good up-close, when you know you'll hit, or if you're sniping.

11. If you're out of ammo, and need to use a melee weapon, OR it would otherwise be tactically sound or really damn cool to use one, then sneak up from behind or from the side of your target, or in some cases drop from above, instead of berserker charging from the front. Sneak attacks can negate their gun's range advantage, so then it comes down to sheer damage, and melee weapons usually win in that department. Charging will just get you killed and called a n00b.

Ruvyen fucked around with this message on 04-13-2004 at 08:18 PM.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: