EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Pop-ups
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-20-2004 10:49:52 AM
I'm using the Google Toolbar 2.0 to block them. Does anyone know of a better pop-up killer?
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9

can you please fix my title
posted 01-20-2004 10:54:14 AM
got me boss, I use AD aware and then there is cookie wall and IE-SPYAD which works well.

nice place to look into this

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 01-20-2004 11:07:10 AM
google toolbar works freaking great for me.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.

can you please fix my title
posted 01-20-2004 11:09:23 AM
nice thing about IE-spyad is that it blocks alot of known sites for spam so if you get hi-jacked the page simply doesnt open.
Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Alaan
posted 01-20-2004 01:02:59 PM
quote:
So quoth Somthor:
nice thing about IE-spyad is that it blocks alot of known sites for spam so if you get hi-jacked the page simply doesnt open.

Whereas the Google toolbar would let you visit them still, and with my experience 90% of them at least would be pop-up free.

I'm actually using Avant Browser right now though. Yet to see a pop-up after about 3 weeks of use.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-20-2004 01:03:17 PM
quote:
Neo-Blindy had this to say about John Romero:

So far its been nothing but awesome for me, I was just wondering if there was something better.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Aaron (the good one)
posted 01-20-2004 01:04:28 PM
Between Avant Browser and Google Toolbar, I get 1 pop-up every month because for some reason when I go to www.Dilbert.com, it somehow disables my avant browser blocker about 10% of the time.
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-20-2004 01:33:46 PM
I spent a good deal of time on this recently, testing about 2 dozen programs from Download.com. The one I like the most (PopNot) is no longer available on the market, but some others did significantly better than Google Toolbar 2.0.

The single most effective one I found was a browser-only blocker called GuardWall (also Guard-IE). However, it takes a second to process a popup window that it suspects of being an ad, so using this will cause some minor browsing delays. It caught every type of popup ad, and didn't block anything I actually wanted.

Other good programs included Panicware Popup Stopper (free edition), Popup Dummy, and a free version of Sureshot Popup Blocker called Stop-The-Pop-Ups Lite (they worked the same, but the free one was... free). None of these blocked all ads, but they all did significantly better than Google. Sureshot was a pain though, because it blocked new windows too. Popup Dummy and Sureshot also blocked spyware popups. (Panicware's professional edition was supposed to block spyware as well, but that was less effective than the free edition at stopping normal browser popups.)

The majority (not most, but the majority) of the popup blockers I tested blocked ads that popped up during page load, and were able to handle punishment (50+ popups at once). This included Google Toolbar. Since these types of pupups constitute 99% of the popup ads on the 'net, most people don't need anything more robust.

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 01-20-2004 01:37:20 PM
quote:
Alek Saege Model 2000 was programmed to say:
So far its been nothing but awesome for me, I was just wondering if there was something better.

Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Rabin Crabmink
YES
posted 01-20-2004 03:48:20 PM
Proxomitron

I haven't seen any ads at all in months.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-20-2004 03:52:39 PM
Free Surfer works like a charm for me.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 01-20-2004 04:38:14 PM
Google toolbar is

Of course, I tend to use Google alot so its pop-up blocker is just and added sweetness to the search functions the toolbar offers to me.

And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-20-2004 05:22:19 PM
TEST YOUR POPUP BLOCKER
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 01-20-2004 05:28:33 PM
quote:
Neo-Blindy had this to say about Knight Rider:

concur, haven't seen a single popup since I started with it.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-20-2004 05:51:20 PM
quote:
Ford Prefect wrote this stupid crap:
TEST YOUR POPUP BLOCKER

The only 2 that opened up popup windows were the target = _blank ones... other than that there was no popups for me, and I'm not using Google Toolbar or any other 3rd party popup blocker.

Although I am using NIS to keep the banner adds out of my face.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 01-21-2004 01:24:48 AM
*Cough*

Firebird works like a charm for me.

-Tok

Maradon!
posted 01-21-2004 01:26:33 AM
quote:
Verily, Toktuk doth proclaim:
*Cough*

-Tok

Maybe he should have specified "pop up blockers that don't fuck up the formatting of pages"

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-21-2004 01:44:17 AM
quote:
Toktuk stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
*Cough*

-Tok

Bah.. go and spill the beans on what I'm using... wanker!

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 01-21-2004 02:59:21 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Ford Prefect was all like:
TEST YOUR POPUP BLOCKER
Google Toolbar 2.0.95 only failed on the popup by clicking on textbox test.
And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-21-2004 05:40:55 PM
quote:
Espio Idsavant is attacking the darkness!
Google Toolbar 2.0.95 only failed on the popup by clicking on textbox test.
It also failed the popup-on-close from the refresh test, and all the tests on page 2 (test3.htm). Though only popnot and guardwall stopped the stuff on page 2, so I don't give it a lot of weight. Only the ones I reccommended blocked every unwanted popup on page 1.

[ 01-21-2004: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-21-2004 08:02:01 PM
quote:
Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:
Maybe he should have specified "pop up blockers that don't fuck up the formatting of pages"

Of one out of like every 5,000 pages AT BEST

oh gasp, my day has been ruined!

Anyway, are were going to get into another argument of personal preference?

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: