EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Why does mozilla look like crap?
Maradon!
posted 07-31-2003 02:17:26 PM
MSIE:

Mozilla:

Why is every post surrounded by quote bars? And why do the icons in the toolbar clash with the background?

Also, there doesn't seem to be any built-in FTP browser in mozilla and I can't upload with it. On top of all that it's replaced the icons for all my image and html files to that retarded red dinosaur head.

What. the fuck. I thought this was supposed to be better than MSIE.

Suddar
posted 07-31-2003 02:19:33 PM
Mozilla gives you the gay.

It may be too late for you.

omg i'm bronzed

[ 07-31-2003: Message edited by: Suddar ]

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 07-31-2003 02:20:23 PM
quote:
Maradon! spewed forth this undeniable truth:
What. the fuck. I thought this was supposed to be better than MSIE.

A common misconception. Usually spread by Linux fanboys.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 02:23:03 PM
First off, you're using a in-browser FTP system. The hell is wrong with you?

and the rest of it sucks because you downloaded MOZILLA. Mozilla is basically Netscape with a different name.
http://texturizer.net/firebird/index.html

Since I won't resize it, here's how Firebird renders it. Not all that much different, really, but it IS Mozilla's core.

[ 07-31-2003: Message edited by: Kegwen ]

Suddar
posted 07-31-2003 02:25:49 PM
God, that's even more freaking ugly. Moreover, have you never heard of cropping your images?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 02:26:49 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Suddar:
God, that's even more freaking ugly. Moreover, have you never heard of cropping your images?

Why should I? I'd shave so little off the image that it wouldn't even save you half a second of loading time. In this case, at least. Full screen browsing is win.

Maradon!
posted 07-31-2003 02:29:00 PM
quote:
x--KegwenO-('-'Q) :
First off, you're using a in-browser FTP system. The hell is wrong with you?

Gee I dunno, maybe I upload shit a whole lot and like an FTP browser that loads quickly?

quote:
Since I won't resize it, here's how Firebird renders it. Not all that much different, really, but it IS Mozilla's core.

That still looks like crap, but at least the buttons match.

I also realized one last thing - middle click does not hyperscroll in mozilla.

I've already uninstalled it.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 02:29:38 PM
Oh, also, it looks bad on UBB because UBB and the Mozilla core just can't seem to get along...
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-31-2003 02:30:08 PM
Just to piss people off....

(1) Quit being a fucktard about FTP... either use the cmdline util or get an ftp client. Fucktards that use browsers for FTP should be shot on general principle.

(2) I don't have any issues with the bars clashing.... dunno what your deal is.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 02:30:21 PM
FlashFXP loads faster than IE for me.
Maradon!
posted 07-31-2003 02:31:43 PM
quote:
x--Random Insanity GeneratorO-('-'Q) :
(1) Quit being a fucktard about FTP... either use the cmdline util or get an ftp client.[/IMG]

Why?

Oh no I remember now! Let's make my computer less useful and slower loading just so I can brag about how LEET my NON-MAINSTREAM browser is!

And I'm glad I don't have to worry about my browser "not agreeing" with any pages

[ 07-31-2003: Message edited by: Maradon! ]

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 02:33:07 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Duck Tales:
Why?

And I'm glad I don't have to worry about my browser "not agreeing" with any pages

Ho noes, it doesn't agree with a crappy bulletin board that Drysart has said that he would abandon had he not put so much work into.

I got over the slight difference in about half a second. Then again, I like tabbed browsing, and Crazy Browser was hella unstable for me.

edit: psst, Maradon, IE is not the fastest browser out there, it's just the most commonly used.

edit #2: Stop confusing "we don't use IE because we personally believe it's not as good X" with "lol we're non-conformists, down with The Man's browser!"

[ 07-31-2003: Message edited by: Kegwen ]

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-31-2003 02:37:23 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Why?

Oh no I remember now! Let's make my computer less useful and slower loading just so I can brag about how LEET my NON-MAINSTREAM browser is!

Gee.... Use the RIGHT PROGRAM for the job.... Browser for web pages.... FTP Client for *gasp* FTP!

And I've only found issues with sites that *require* IE. As in the sites that use the MS specific HTML functions and certain aspects of DHTML.... Other than that Mozilla works fine.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T USE IT. NOW QUIT YER BITCHIN'.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 07-31-2003 02:39:34 PM
Plus mozilla got built in popip blcoketr

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 02:40:08 PM
quote:
Mog had this to say about (_|_):
Plus mozilla got built in popip blcoketr

word

Maradon!
posted 07-31-2003 02:53:11 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Random Insanity Generator who doth quote:
Gee.... Use the RIGHT PROGRAM for the job.... Browser for web pages.... FTP Client for *gasp* FTP!

Why?

quote:
And I've only found issues with sites that *require* IE. As in the sites that use the MS specific HTML functions and certain aspects of DHTML.... Other than that Mozilla works fine.[/color][/big][/b]

1) Whereas sites that require mozilla are...well, there aren't any.

2) I have quit using it.

3) Mozilla's built-in popup blocker is almost as useful as MSIE's built in FTP.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 02:54:54 PM
Except it works completely, unlike IE's FTP, which likes to open up random secondary connections to the ftp server... and with smaller servers, that gets you disconnected!

Plus FTP clients are more reliable, and they support resume.

Maradon!
posted 07-31-2003 02:57:46 PM
quote:
Kegwening:
Except it works completely, unlike IE's FTP, which likes to open up random secondary connections to the ftp server... and with smaller servers, that gets you disconnected!

Plus FTP clients are more reliable, and they support resume.

I have no need for any of those features in an FTP program. Ever. All I ever do is upload and download from my own webspace, and I've never run into an issue with that.

And why do you need a built in pop-up blocker anyway? I thought you were supposed to use BROWSERS for BROWSING and POP-UP BLOCKERS for POP-UP BLOCKING *gasp!*

Suddar
posted 07-31-2003 02:59:50 PM
Besides, everything blocks pop-ups these days.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 03:00:00 PM
I wasn't taking RIG's attitude, I just think all in-browser FTPs that I've encountered thus far are inherently inferior to most FTP programs.

Oh, well I use FTP to upload and manage my webspace on leetsauce.net and also to leech off Khy.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 03:00:59 PM
quote:
Suddar had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Besides, everything blocks pop-ups these days.

Oddly enough, a lot of popup blockers for IE (except the ones you pay for) are spyware themselves!

Google Toolbar 2.0 beta = win. It's almost good enough to make me want to go back to IE.

Almost.

Suddar
posted 07-31-2003 03:02:37 PM
Oddly enough, that's only if you choose sucky pop-up blockers!

Google Toolbar should be standard with IE.

[ 07-31-2003: Message edited by: Suddar ]

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 03:03:32 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Suddar said:
Oddly enough, that's only if you choose sucky pop-up blockers!

I remember those popup blockers thet let the popup come up, and then asked you if you wanted to block it in the future.

DO they still exist? If so, do people actually use them?

Suddar
posted 07-31-2003 03:05:17 PM
I dunno. I know that my current one doesn't even let the window open (like older ones which pop the window up for a split second before closing it, causing seizures). Nor does it ask you which windows are popups. I'm pretty sure it uses some kind of AI. In any case, it works and I don't see pop ups.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-31-2003 03:06:54 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Suddar said:
I dunno. I know that my current one doesn't even let the window open (like older ones which pop the window up for a split second before closing it, causing seizures). Nor does it ask you which windows are popups. I'm pretty sure it uses some kind of AI. In any case, it works and I don't see pop ups.

Yeah. I love my google toolbar, because when I get linked stuff in IRC, it opens up IE unless I cut and paste. This may or may not result in an unholy amount of popups. NO LONGER! Bwaha!

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 07-31-2003 03:11:08 PM
I've got the lazy man's popup blocker. Alt-F4. Too lazy to install a popup blocker.
Maradon!
posted 07-31-2003 03:18:44 PM
Wow, you guys are right, google toolbar 2.0 is awesome.

Now I really have no reason to use mozilla.

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-31-2003 03:20:11 PM
You can get a google toolbar for Mozilla too.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Oh shi...
what
posted 07-31-2003 03:20:13 PM
Google toolbar?
Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 07-31-2003 03:35:30 PM
A fresh install will try to display "modern" theme buttons on a "classic" display. Hopefully forthcoming revisions will have that fixed.

In the meantime, here's how to correct it:

View -> Apply Theme -> (pick whichever one isn't checked)
Restart Mozilla (you need to close all mozilla windows)
if you don't like the theme at this point, go and pick the other.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-31-2003 04:08:54 PM
quote:
Maradon! said this about your mom:
1) Whereas sites that require mozilla are...well, there aren't any.

2) I have quit using it.

3) Mozilla's built-in popup blocker is almost as useful as MSIE's built in FTP.

(1) Gee, because Mozilla is a standards-based browser? They're not trying to fuck the user by making gimp-ass extensions that only they work properly with? For shame!

(2) Good, now follow the second part and quit bitching about it.

(3) Personally I use NIS. The last couple of popup stoppers I used had oddities that I didn't like and I've never used the one built into Mozilla. Again, proper tool, proper job.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 07-31-2003 04:30:31 PM
You proper tool people can be annoying, who cares if I want to use the wrong tool! As long as the job get's done, there's nothing to complain about!
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-31-2003 04:39:56 PM
quote:
Fizodeth had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
You proper tool people can be annoying, who cares if I want to use the wrong tool! As long as the job get's done, there's nothing to complain about!

Until you start bitching that what you're making the choice to use doesn't do what you're expecting it to do....

Or my personal fav.... you bitch that it's too hard to use the proper tool and bitch about all the extra work you have to put in to make something else do the job... That's a real winner there...

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 07-31-2003 04:53:59 PM
Actually... I never did understand why Mozilla never rendered horizontal rules properly. Last I checked, the basic layout of this forum is all standards. I generally dislike how it renders pages, IE overall looks a lot crisper.

As for the differences in IE and Mozilla ( and all other browsers for that matter ) They all follow a basic standard, there are just some things that one has that another doesnt. There is shit in Mozilla that isnt available in IE. So all you people that bitch about all this browser shit need to realize, that is stuff to be implemented. The guys that develop IE and the guys that develop Mozilla arent in the same dev meetings. They dont talk to each other. The name of the game is to provide features and that is what they do.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 07-31-2003 05:06:41 PM
I was a fan boy of it, then I just ran IE and realised it makes a Toolbar for my TV Tuner...Plus a channel listing below it. Looks like I'm back to IE.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-31-2003 05:09:39 PM
I don't use THE google toolbar, I use one that looks a bit better in my opinion, I got it from a link they talked about on 'The Screen Savers'

I have NO idea where the link went, so If I ever reformatted, I'd lose it =(

See?

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Chugga
Pancake
posted 07-31-2003 05:19:57 PM
quote:
OtakuPenguin stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I don't use THE google toolbar, I use one that looks a bit better in my opinion, I got it from a link they talked about on 'The Screen Savers'

I have NO idea where the link went, so If I ever reformatted, I'd lose it =(

See?

Does it block pop ups?

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-31-2003 05:26:26 PM
I'm not really sure. I don't think so.
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-31-2003 05:47:56 PM
http://toolbar.google.com/ perhaps?
Drysart
Pancake
posted 07-31-2003 08:46:24 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator tried to impress everyone with:
(1) Gee, because Mozilla is a standards-based browser? They're not trying to fuck the user by making gimp-ass extensions that only they work properly with? For shame!

*cough*XUL*cough*

*cough*moz-*cough*

*cough*sidebar*cough*

*cough*XPCOM*cough*

*cough*XPI*cough*

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: