EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Star Wars question.
Gadani
U
posted 07-29-2003 12:12:38 PM
(No, not SWG...)

What race is Yoda? I mean, do they ever actually tell you in any of the movies? I was wondering maybe if it told you in the book what race he was.

Caanis Lupus
Rub me?
posted 07-29-2003 12:22:06 PM
quote:
Gadani Aerofist got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
(No, not SWG...)

What race is Yoda? I mean, do they ever actually tell you in any of the movies? I was wondering maybe if it told you in the book what race he was.

quote:
TheForce.net

this incredibly aged Jedi Master was regarded as one of the primary leaders of the Jedi Council, in the decades leading up the to fall of the Old Republic. Along with Mace Windu and Ki-Adi-Mundi, the 860-year-old Yoda was a strong voice in the Council's decisions. A master of appearing old and frail, Yoda was an expert swordsbeing and teacher. He attained the rank of Jedi Master at a meer 100 years of age. More than 100 years before the Battle of Naboo, Yoda served as one of the Jedi Masters working aboard the Chu'unthor before it was lost on Dathomir. 700 years old at the time, Yoda returned to Coruscant in defeat, and resolved to spent his time on the Jedi Council, guiding the Jedi Order with the help of the Force.He never revealed his race or homeworld, preferring to maintain an air of mystery. Like many other Jedi Masters, Yoda continued to teach while sitting on the Council, and was responsible for the early training of Obi-Wan Kenobi. However, when Qui-Gin Jinn brought nine-year-old Anakin Skywalker before the Council, Yoda was one of the few who voted not to train the boy. He was overruled, and Obi-Wan Kenobi was appointed the boy's master. A decade passed, and Yoda became increasingly aware of the presence of the Dark Side of the Force in the galaxy. However, he underestimated its strength, and the Jedi Council was blinded to the creation of a clone army on the planet Kamino. When the Separatists - led by one of Yoda's former padawans, Count Dooku - rose up on Geonosis, Yoda was asked to take command of the clone troopers and answer the Separatist threat. Although he managed to save a handful of Jedi and defeat the Separatists' droid armies, Yoda was unable to prevent Dooku's escape. Several years later, as Senator Palpatine named himself Emperor and the Jedi were hunted down and destroyed, Yoda fled to Dagobah in hopes of eluding the Jedi purge by hiding among the intense life-force of the creatures there. He remained on Dagobah, and was eventually caught up in the Dark Jedi rebellion that engulfed Bpfassh as he was forced to destroy their leader when they fled to Dagobah. A period of relative tranquility passed for Yoda, until the spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi directed Luke Skywalker to seek out the old Jedi Master. When Luke discovers him on Dagobah, following the Battle of Hoth, Yoda is almost 900 years old, and appears as a dimuntive elf-like creature with greenish-blue skin, wide eyes, and large pointed ears. He speaks in an archaic form of Basic. He claims to have watched over Luke's development for as long as Luke has been alive, not knowing if he would be able to train Luke or not, for he and Obi-Wan Kenobi realized that Luke might be the last of the Jedi Knights. Yoda took part in the events on Dathomir, along with the Jedi Masters Gra'aton and Vulatan, and foretold that the last of the Jedi Knights would someday come and defeat the Nightsisters. This would mark the end of the world as the witches knew it, and reshape their lives in profound ways. The Jedi Knight Yoda saw as Luke Skywalker. Yoda also foretold that Luke would be able to reveal the secret of the hundreds of reader disks that the Jedi kept with the witches of the Light Side (passed down to Rell), and that he would share them with the Dathomir witches. Yoda was portrayed by Frank Oz and Kathryn Mullen in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. Yoda was also portrayed by John Lithgow for the The Empire Strikes Back Radio Drama on National Public Radio. Yoda was again voiced by Frank Oz, and puppeted by Kathy Smee, Don Austen, and David Greenaway in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace.

Skaw
posted 07-29-2003 12:22:56 PM
I think after the part that gave the answer, you could've deleted the rest.
Gadani
U
posted 07-29-2003 12:24:20 PM
Thanks .
Caanis Lupus
Rub me?
posted 07-29-2003 12:25:06 PM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Robocop:
I think after the part that gave the answer, you could've deleted the rest.

thrp

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-29-2003 12:28:57 PM
Hrmm...do any of the Expanded Universe novels tell of this prophecy of Luke and the Witches of Dathomir? I used to read some of the SW novels, but stopped well before the New Jedi Order came out.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-29-2003 12:32:49 PM
quote:
Katrinity stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I used to read some of the SW novels, but stopped well before the New Jedi Order came out.

Good. You should only read up to Zahn's 'The Last Command'

It ended everything really well.

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 07-29-2003 12:36:09 PM
New Jedi Order is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the Thrawn Trilogy.
A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
OtakuPenguin
posted 07-29-2003 12:39:51 PM
quote:
Cool Hand Luke had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
New Jedi Order is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the Thrawn Trilogy.

Yes, killing characters left and right, redefining the force and fucking up EVERYTHING is REALLY good

This is all IMO.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-29-2003 12:41:47 PM
Lets see if I remember right what I've read:

Shadows of the Empire
The Truce at Bakura (My first Star Wars novel ^.^)
The New Rebellion
The Crystal Star
I, Jedi
The Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command)
Children of the Jedi
DarkSaber
The Black Fleet Crisis (Before the Storm, Shield of Lies, Tyrant's Test)
The Corellian Trilogy (Ambush at Corellia, Assault at Selonia, Showdown at Centerpoint)
Specter of the Past

And maybe one or two more that I can't remember right now.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
OtakuPenguin
posted 07-29-2003 12:43:16 PM
Shadows of the Empire and the Heir To The Empire series are my favourites. Fo sho.
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 07-29-2003 12:45:07 PM
I hate to be the asshole who says what is on everyone's mind, but nobody really cares about your uninformed opinion anymore after the whole Nightcrawler thing where you bemoaned how much he sucked for months until you actually went to see the movie.

Star Wars had grown stagnant. You can only have Han and Chewbacca and Luke fighting the Empire for thirty odd years before it gets old.

And I wasn't aware killing three main characters over a few years was "killing everyone left and right." But, we all know your desire to exagerate everything that you don't like.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-29-2003 12:46:02 PM
Ooh, and the Jedi Academy trilogy too...forgot that one.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Elspeth
Pancake
posted 07-29-2003 01:00:41 PM
quote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote this stupid crap:
I hate to be the asshole who says what is on everyone's mind, but nobody really cares about your uninformed opinion anymore after the whole Nightcrawler thing where you bemoaned how much he sucked for months until you actually went to see the movie.

Star Wars had grown stagnant. You can only have Han and Chewbacca and Luke fighting the Empire for thirty odd years before it gets old.

And I wasn't aware killing three main characters over a few years was "killing everyone left and right." But, we all know your desire to exagerate everything that you don't like.

Thank god someone said it. Yes Ian, you can be a real dumbass, especially when it comes to stuff that, God forbid, be changed.

Get over yourself.

So you want to start a revolution. Well, you know...
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-29-2003 01:08:07 PM
GEEK WARS!
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 07-29-2003 01:09:15 PM
Wait, the guy who pretends he's a girl and has high level characters in three online games, simultaneously, is calling someone else a geek.

Hah.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 07-29-2003 01:09:25 PM
Luke was a pussy.

Han was 'decent', but definitely not one of the most memorable characters. Same with Chewbacca.

I say good riddance, if they killed those three off.

Kyle Katarn, HE was tha shit.

[ 07-29-2003: Message edited by: Khyron ]

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 07-29-2003 01:11:36 PM
Luke was a whiny cry baby until Vader chopped his hand off and showed him who's Daddy. Then he started beating ass in Return of the Jedi.

Unfortunately, that died quickly and he only had one more pure ass kicking moment in the entire Star Wars Extended Universe Saga. When he pulled Jacen's lightsaber from miles away through the force and stormed a Vong encampment to rescue him with dual lightsabers.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 07-29-2003 01:16:40 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Elspeth was all like:
Thank god someone said it. Yes Ian, you can be a real dumbass, especially when it comes to stuff that, God forbid, be changed.

Get over yourself.

ITS ELLY!

Sean
posted 07-29-2003 01:19:01 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Luke was a whiny cry baby until Vader chopped his hand off and showed him who's Daddy. Then he started beating ass in Return of the Jedi.

Unfortunately, that died quickly and he only had one more pure ass kicking moment in the entire Star Wars Extended Universe Saga. When he pulled Jacen's lightsaber from miles away through the force and stormed a Vong encampment to rescue him with dual lightsabers.

Ganner kicking ass in Traitor(I think.) is one of my favorite Star Wars moment. Ever.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-29-2003 01:29:07 PM
quote:
Cool Hand Luke stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Wait, the guy who pretends he's a girl and has high level characters in three online games, simultaneously, is calling someone else a geek.

Hah.

I don't recall denying it

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 07-29-2003 02:04:28 PM
quote:
Sean wrote this stupid crap:
Ganner kicking ass in Traitor(I think.) is one of my favorite Star Wars moment. Ever.

Kicked ass? I don't think that quite does him justice. Literally killing so many oponents that others have to climb over a wall of thier dead companions to get to you is a bit beyond Kicks ass.
And yes it was Traitor.

quote:
They came at him one at a time, an endless stream, each warrior in turn charging towards honoreable single combat.
Then-
They came two at a time.
By the time they begin to come in groups, they have to scramble over the bodies of thier dead comerads to reach him. A pile of bodies.
A pile that becomes a wall, a rampart.
Ganner Rhysode builds a fortress of the Dead.
-None Shall Pass

And a bit later from Verge:
"An image of the far future. It came to me through the force some time ago but only now have I come to understand it. In that vision, I saw a new figure in the mythology of the Yuuzhan Vong. Not a god, not a demon, but an invincible giant called 'The ganner.' "

And as for the changes that piss people off in the new books...
The universe had become stale. There is only so many times that Luke and Co. can save the universe. They are getting old. It is time for them to step aside for the new generation. Luke and the other older Jedi are a transition group. They are neither the last of the old nore are they the first of the new. Thier children however are a different story.

Look at the older lore. Hell even Knights of the old republic. You are starting to discover that the Jedi were flawed in thier view of the force. They and the Sith were extremes. The force is neither. It manifests itself as an extension of the one who wields it. Think of it as a giant weight. If you start to tilt towards evil then it makes it all the faster to fall. But in and of itself the force is neither. That is what they are trying to say.

I think the problem is that people expect the books and movies to tell all of it to us. We see Yoda as a master and therefore perfect. However he was not. And since he was the main teacher to Luke then we can easily assume that luke has to learn much on his own. Knowlege isn't always perfect and it is entirely possible that Luke has some of it wrong. And that Yoda had some of it wrong, etc, etc.

[ 07-29-2003: Message edited by: Azizza ]

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 07-29-2003 02:10:05 PM
I think Kyle Katarn was awesome if only because he saw both sides of the force, and was comfortable enough in his own mind to use both equally. Preserve the balance, and all that.

I can't wait till KotOR comes out for PC. I want to dual weild and doubleweild lightsabers, and chop mofos in half!

Grendel
Pancake
posted 07-29-2003 03:37:13 PM
I know chewbacca got killed but who else? Han and Luke?
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 07-29-2003 05:03:30 PM
quote:
So quoth Grendel:
I know chewbacca got killed but who else? Han and Luke?

Han's son Anakin and one of the last members of the Camaasi race, a Senator named Elegos, are the only two main characters I can think of off the top of my head. Chewbacca was the only one from the movies to bite it. Though the last book of the New Jedi Order comes out in November and it would be a fiting end of the series for Luke to die saving the galaxy one last time. But they'd probably balk at killing the guy who's been the main hero for thirty years.

[ 07-29-2003: Message edited by: Cool Hand Luke ]

Grendel
Pancake
posted 07-29-2003 05:08:13 PM
quote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote this stupid crap:
Han's son Anakin and one of the last members of the Camaasi race, a Senator named Elegos, are the only two main characters I can think of off the top of my head. Chewbacca was the only one from the movies to bite it. Though the last book of the New Jedi Order comes out in November and it would be a fiting end of the series for Luke to die saving the galaxy one last time. But they'd probably balk at killing the guy who's been the main hero for thirty years.

Oh ok, thanks.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: