EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: DAOC Clerics
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 11-22-2002 12:51:50 PM
I am seriously beginning to dislike being a cleric. The class itself is nice, healing, buffing, a little bit of smiting, and an insta-mez. I enjoy all that.

But ever since Mythic nerfed clerics because the albs griped about not getting resses, the population of player clerics has been going down and the number of cleric bots has been going up.

This in and of itself would not be a problem, but lately I that I tend be be the butt of a lot of "bot" jokes. Even my guildies do it. Constantly.

As I am the person who keeps the group alive, buffs them, and rezzes the dead, I think I deserve just a little bit of respect.

Whenever I play my hibby druid, no bot jokes there. I get credit for doing my part and doing it well. I have been considering making my druid my main, but I am reluctant as I have invested so much time in Gawin and he is currently at 45.

Well, thats my whine for today.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 11-22-2002 12:53:31 PM
You know...we give our Healers respect here in Midgard...
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 11-22-2002 01:28:46 PM
Cause we can whack you with our big hammers if ya don't
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-22-2002 01:28:52 PM
Clerics were nerfed because smite was overpowered. Clerics specced smite were basically chain wearing lightning wizards.

I wanted to play one

hehe

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 11-22-2002 03:21:07 PM
I get tons of respect and love.

Then again, I'm damn good at what I do.

Heals, Buffs, Rezzes, Mezz, Stun, AoE Mezz, AoE Stun, Insta Mezz, Insta Heal, Group Heals, Insta Group Heals.

I have CONTROL!

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-22-2002 03:25:45 PM
What did you spec in, Bajah?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 11-22-2002 04:41:54 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when JooJooFlop said this:
What did you spec in, Bajah?

Mend/Pac.

My finished level 50 setup will be 35 Mend, 15 Aug, 38 Pacification.

Talonus
Loner
posted 11-22-2002 04:45:30 PM
quote:
From the book of Zephyer, chapter 3, verse 16:
You know...we give our Healers respect here in Midgard...

That's cause shamans make better bots than healers.

Lashanna
noob
posted 11-22-2002 04:51:17 PM
Well, Bajah beat me to it...

Yeah, there were a lot of clerics specced fully in Smite, and it just wasn't right...

Actually, on Hibernia, atleast on Guinevere (one of the most populous servers), there's a severe lack of Druids, .

We really needed more druids in general. It made being a Blademaster (read: light tank, Power Drain to Heal Classes) really painful in PvE groups, Heros, and even champs, can still usually manage to tank fairly well without a healing class, because of Scale armor.

Blademasters get Reinforced (I think Studded and stuff is the equivalent in other realms, step above leathers, and step below chain/scale), and have to rely on their "Evade II" skill to balance out their "damage mitigation" (sound familiar, EQ Monks?) The problem is, Evade is a purely random skill that cannot be trained, and doesn't work all that often.
And getting whacked by an orange mob can do as much as a third of my HP, sometimes (well, rarely) even more.

I dunno, it just seems that outside of RvR, where we're fairly decent, assuming we can get to the caster or archers before they down us, Blademasters are pretty gimpy.
Mercs and Zerks are supposed to be our "counterparts," but Blademasters compared to other Hibernian Classes are much weaker than Mercs compared to other Albion classes, or Zerks compared to other Midgard classes.

And I realize that Hibernia is supposed to be the caster realm, with sucky Melee, but Heros are pretty good, and at the very peak levels, I've been told that a Hero of equal level can often take down an Armsman of equal level or a Warrior of equal level in straight combat. Champs, even aren't that bad at all. But Blademasters have no spells, and take damage so horribly... True, we do do great damage from the back, but then again, so do Nightshades, .

But, eh, I dunno... Blademasters just feel kinda gimped (Hell, look at the number of Blademasters out there, ). I mean, when Mythic doesn't even LIST your class in the DAoC Instruction Booklet, you know you must be gimpy.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 11-22-2002 04:52:57 PM
The funny thing is, I didn't know about the nerf, and I was considering making a Smite cleric on Lancelot. I'm glad the subject came up.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 11-22-2002 04:57:04 PM
Despite the word 'nerf' being used, it just means they dumbed it down to make them less offensive. I mean, Smite at high trained levels was fucking DEADLY. Massive amounts of damage and AoE damage. It blew. Now it's still there and powerful, it just doesn't compare to what a REAL caster can do.

The problem was that people were making Smite Clerics so they could have cleric armor and HP, yet wield deadly lightning smite. So there were really rarely any decent actual Healing Clerics because of it.

Elspeth
Pancake
posted 11-22-2002 05:40:38 PM
Just had to look at this thread, having a level 50 Cleric.

Yes, I agree, when DAoC first came out, when I started playing, Smitties were REALLY overpowered. I never really liked doing it that much, so I speced in Rejuv, and I've never been called a Bot honestly, no offense, and it just may be the people you run into, but if you do your job WELL, you won't be called a Bot.

So you want to start a revolution. Well, you know...
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 11-22-2002 08:49:22 PM
same kinda crap in EQ a lot of the time.

i hate Heal Bots. for some reason people seem to think that having a Heal Bot 2 levels higher than me is better than having a , you know, person who's full time watching the group HP and doesn't just go, "Cheal, Cheal, Cheal, ect." constantly. there's more to being a cleric than the Heal buttons even though that's MOST of what a cleric does.

and where "respect" is conserned, getting cussed out for letting someone die when i've been screaming "OOM DO NOT PULL!!!!" for the past two minutes is a pain in the ass.

Peter
Pancake
posted 11-22-2002 09:06:32 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Lashanna wrote:

And I realize that Hibernia is supposed to be the caster realm, with sucky Melee, but Heros are pretty good, and at the very peak levels, I've been told that a Hero of equal level can often take down an Armsman of equal level or a Warrior of equal level in straight combat. Champs, even aren't that bad at all. But Blademasters have no spells, and take damage so horribly... True, we do do great damage from the back, but then again, so do Nightshades, .

All the light tanks take hits like little girls compared to the full tanks. Thats whats annoying me with my Zerker, I can dish out major damage, but take way to much in return, no biggie if I am grouped, but I tend to be a solo type of person.

Lashanna
noob
posted 11-22-2002 09:10:43 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Pyscho said this:
All the light tanks take hits like little girls compared to the full tanks. Thats whats annoying me with my Zerker, I can dish out major damage, but take way to much in return, no biggie if I am grouped, but I tend to be a solo type of person.

After playing a Merc for abit, it didn't seem NEARLY as bad.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: