EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What game have you ever..
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 10-27-2002 04:15:03 AM
DESPERATELY wanted to like, but just couldn't?

Black and White has to be it for me. It had such a fun concept, and the early stages were fun, but it became so boring later on.

With beta/early release DAoC coming in a close second. Though that's been improved enough to be fun now.

(Wtf.. does the subtitle thing just pick a random sentence to toss up there? )

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: Comrade Snoota ]

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Skaw
posted 10-27-2002 04:19:49 AM
Counter-Strike, Post-Beta5, when "The Sucking" began(Hacks popping up everywhere, crappying up the game started happening, etc).
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 10-27-2002 04:20:34 AM
I always really liked my character in EQ. To be like him would be nice.

Otherwise... D&D. Definitely.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-27-2002 04:26:03 AM
quote:
Drakkenmaw had this to say about dark elf butts:
I always really liked my character in EQ. To be like him would be nice.

Otherwise... D&D. Definitely.

You are misunderstanding. Not be LIKE a character, but a game that just sucked, but you really wanted to enjoy.

Myself, I would have to say Counterstrike, and Early DAOC like Snoota. I also REALLY am trying ot like Morrowind.

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 10-27-2002 04:30:26 AM
I must have uninstalled/reinstalled Black and White a dozen times since I got it, before finally giving up on it's sucking.
You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 10-27-2002 04:30:38 AM
Ah, whoops.

In that case... EQ, still. And probably the FF games.

Never been much for console RPGs.

*Prepares for cruxificion.*

Evenstar
Pancake
posted 10-27-2002 04:35:42 AM
Majestic..it sounded cool, but in the end really sucked.
To be born again for your sake; Blowing the past away on fluttering clouds; Letting the future ride on flowing winds; Fearlessly,unceasingly,patiently -clover
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-27-2002 04:38:39 AM
Any MMORPG
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Led
*kaboom*
posted 10-27-2002 04:47:19 AM
Been finding myself in the same predicament with a lot of console games as of late After finding out just how much fun it is playing with other people...

Well, I find singleplayer PC games entertaining. I have no way to quantify the difference between the two... *shrugs*

I just like having lots of control, I guess ;D Keyboard + mouse > dinky controller that never fits my hands anyways

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-27-2002 04:56:34 AM
quote:
This one time, at Suchii camp:
Been finding myself in the same predicament with a lot of console games as of late After finding out just how much fun it is playing with other people...

Well, I find singleplayer PC games entertaining. I have no way to quantify the difference between the two... *shrugs*

I just like having lots of control, I guess ;D Keyboard + mouse > dinky controller that never fits my hands anyways

*shows Tori how to hook up a USB keyboard and mouse to the PS2*

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 10-27-2002 05:01:59 AM
Resident Evil, whicheverthefuck one had Nemesis. After Silent Hill, it didn't... do it for me at all (yes, I play games in a fucky order). Plus the fact that I do and will suck at every single shooting game I have/will pick up. Plus the fact that without a walkthrough it makes no sense whatsofuckingever.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 10-27-2002 05:04:12 AM
quote:
Bajah said this about your mom:
*shows Tori how to hook up a USB keyboard and mouse to the PS2*

Wuh?

ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 10-27-2002 05:08:56 AM
Morrowind. Well, ok... I'm neutral on this game. I think it just gives you too much freedom (wouldn't think this is a bad thing but... well, it can be).

Dark Reign 2 and Black and White too.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
nem-x
posted 10-27-2002 05:28:12 AM
Interstate '82

I'76 was so awesome... i82 blew chunks.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 10-27-2002 05:48:29 AM
FF8.

Cause I really like the graphics.. but.. but.. argh.

Evenstar
Pancake
posted 10-27-2002 05:57:26 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Trent:
FF8.

Cause I really like the graphics.. but.. but.. argh.

I totaly agree on this. I would also like to add Socom online for PS2..ok so I still play it, but it needs sooooo much more work done to fix stupid issues.

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: Evenstar ]

To be born again for your sake; Blowing the past away on fluttering clouds; Letting the future ride on flowing winds; Fearlessly,unceasingly,patiently -clover
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-27-2002 06:14:59 AM
Colonization - Heck, it was a Sid Meier game, the inofficial sequel to Civilization ... but it was just plain boring.

Diablo, Diablo 2 - The whole world likes these, but I just cannot understand why. "Hello, here's a quest." -slay-slay-slay- "Hello, here's a quest." -slay-slay-slay- BOOOORING!

Black&White - Cool designer, cool concept but Populous sooo owns it! Those villagers are stupid and cannot feed themselves. Yuck!

Daggerfall - Random towns, dungeons and quests simply suck.

*Edit: And I REALLY tried to like my N64 ...*

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: Tarquinn ]

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-27-2002 06:23:48 AM
FF9. I tried. I tried soooo hard.

More recently, Resident Evil: Code Veronica X is proving to be an excercise in mediocrity.

SPOILER ON RE: CV

It might've been better had they kept the original VA for Wesker

"Ah. You must be... the LOVELY CLAIRE REDFIELD. Ha... ha... HAAAAA!"

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 10-27-2002 08:55:38 AM
Black and White was fun then I just wanted to dig my eyes out with a spoon for ever playing the game, then comes umm EQ tried that a bunch of times then always died and unleveled (I liked daoc because I could never UNLEVEL) Legends of Might and Magic, a fps where you can be a wizard, or a night or something I mean come on that should be great! BG, BG2 god I just wanted to shoot myself... NWN was fun but then got boring, I'm talking about a persistent world setting for NWN. Oh yeah and UO after I quit and then went back and was like I want my character back! I can't stand making a new one *sigh*

Oh yes and Daggerfall, so many good things but but but the combat system sucked so much ass, drag to swing gragggg

vrooom vrooom

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: The Loser ]

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 10-27-2002 08:56:25 AM
Morrowind, Black and White, Dungeon Siege, Army Operations.
"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 10-27-2002 08:58:34 AM
Morrowind, Diablo series.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 10-27-2002 11:03:48 AM
MGS2 : It's a great game, but I just can't get into it and finish it, and I DO NOT KNOW WHY.

EQ : I love it, and I want to level, but I always hit huge blocks whenever I do.

Homeworld : Another extremely fun game that I just keep hitting walls at... I'm better with one or two ships, manually controlled, than a horde of ships

FF9 : I dunno. I liked FF8. I don't like FF9. I try to, but I always get to that stupid place where you have to get a stone for kuja, and I stop there, bored or whatever.

Mod
Pancake
posted 10-27-2002 11:12:45 AM
NwN.

The dungeons were just too unoriginal and boring. They gave up way too much in favor of the editor.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
MorbId
Pancake
posted 10-27-2002 11:12:47 AM
The Sims. I only really wanted to play until I figured out how to wall up my people so they'd starve, but I always got bored first. That, and the fact that you can stand in front of a school bus and it just stops without running you down.

Another one is Front Mission 3. I like the concept and the mechs. The characters are unpleasant, but the game's really just about giant robots. But the internet area is too daunting, and the game just doesn't grab me.

Oh shi...
what
posted 10-27-2002 11:14:32 AM
Xenogears
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 10-27-2002 11:39:28 AM
Tribes: Aerial Assualt.

Horrible lag even with a cable, along with crappy weapon changes, adding onto smaller maps and less vehicles and weapons, trying to make it all better by adding a tiny single player "campaign" which was crap, not to mention that now there's not only some auto-aim, but there's a damn LOCK-ON THING THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ESCAPE!

Sorry, I'm just pissed at them for taking a really great game, and turning it into crap on a Playstation.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-27-2002 11:48:44 AM
quote:
From the book of D, chapter 3, verse 16:

Also, BloodRayne.. I mean, a half vampire woman with large blades on her arms running around and cutting the heads/arms/legs off of nazis!

Then it ended. You need a second disk, omg.

Soldar
I'll take two of anything, please. To go.
posted 10-27-2002 11:50:13 AM
Dark Cloud.

I even made it to about level 60 of the 100 level dungeon. Then I decided it was far too much.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 10-27-2002 11:58:44 AM
Thief the Dark Project. Level 2 was too hard for me, I'm the hack and slash kind of guy.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 10-27-2002 01:23:31 PM
Black and White. Major disappointment.
Ferrel!
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-27-2002 01:28:54 PM
Black & White

I tried so damn hard to be a good god (the full good tower just looks damn cool), but it makes the game almost impossible. So I slipped into good 'ole evil mode, but that made the game the most boring thing I've ever played.

Such a good concept, too.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 10-27-2002 02:35:20 PM
quote:
D had this to say about Tron:

^^^^

hey
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-27-2002 02:39:50 PM
Diablo series. A few MUDs.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-27-2002 02:44:01 PM
quote:
Evenstar said this about your mom:
Majestic..it sounded cool, but in the end really sucked.

I agree. It started cool, and when I got the first threatening phone call at 0200, it was awesome.

Then it just tapered off, as they adjusted things to make it less realistic so the stupid people would quit harassing real companies about the conspiracy.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 10-27-2002 03:40:31 PM
Majestic was fantastic at the beginning, but like Sage said, it got dumb in the end.

The game I really really really really REALLY tried to like, wanted to like, wish I had never played it so I could still think kindly upon it...Final Fantasy VII.

More platformer than RPG. Very little that's true to the Final Fantasy series. Minigames out the ASS, most that weren't optional as usual in a FF game, and that add to the experience, but that you *had* to pass to continue on (Like jumping on things, and sneaking past the guards).

I see that sort of thing in Zelda. I like it in Zelda. It belongs in Zelda, because Zelda is a platformer. Final Fantasy is supposed to be an RPG. You shouldn't have to put up with crap like that every five steps in an RPG.

And don't even get me started on the story. "This is the truth!" "No! THIS is the truth!" "No, you're both full of it, THIS is the truth!" The damn story couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Were these the circumstances, or was this? Was this where Cloud came from, or this? Horrible. Quite possibly some of the WORST storytelling I have ever seen in an RPG. Even FFVIII, not really a favorite of mine, but okay, told the story better.

Anyway, I really really wanted to like it. I had heard about how great it was, I'm a big FF fan, so I figured I would find it awesome. It sucked. I hate it and wish it had never come over to America. It is the black sheep of the FF family as far as I'm concerned. Even Mystic Quest was truer to the series.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 10-27-2002 04:39:51 PM
Chrono Cross, The game looked so cool with all the charachters you could get. Since it was the sequel to Chrono Trigger and it was made by Squaresoft I figured it was goin to be a blast. Then I played the combat system......
Steven Steve
posted 10-27-2002 04:40:43 PM
MMORPG's
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-27-2002 04:45:45 PM
quote:
Vise the Stompy's account was hax0red to write:
Chrono Cross, The game looked so cool with all the charachters you could get. Since it was the sequel to Chrono Trigger and it was made by Squaresoft I figured it was goin to be a blast. Then I played the combat system......

Chrono Cross would have been FANTASTIC if not for two GLARING flaws.

The combat system had only TWO things REMOTELY remeniscent of the original - dual and triple techs. The Combat System of Chrono Trigger was a LARGE part of what made the game so insanely fun. They just tossed a few dual and triple techs into Chrono Cross so that people couldn't say they weren't there.

The other, is the sheer amount of characters to collect in CC. There were too many characters to really develope any of them properly. CT had 7, which was great. CC has like 40+. Too many characters can ruin a game.

Those are the only reasons why I don't believe that CC lived up to CT. I think the story was great, the graphics unparalleled, the sound fantastic. It was just missing something too big.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Sagwah
Pancake
posted 10-27-2002 05:39:34 PM
FF-anything (1-10 now I think)

Always look really interesting and I buy them and my brother gets them a couple months later. Well, I never did buy Ten. Not going to give into that one, think I dropped enough cash on 1-9 that I can resist buying Ten unless I find a really good deal on a used one ....

I did like FF Tactics tho. I want my sequel to that ... supposedly one in the works.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: