EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Squaresoft's Kingdom Hearts
CBTao
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 12:40:48 AM
alright, now understand I'm a huuuuge square fan

and this is why:

as of late, I've found my lack of lust for games to be well, disturbing, I don't have that giddy feeling when I unwrap it, I don't even give a care to watch opening credits

EXCEPT for when its a square game of the Final Fantasy or Chrono line. In fact, I recall upon receiving FFX for x-mas, I was actually holding my breath at parts, those experiences, which are few and far apart, are what make me a gamer. And recently, I've been searching for a game to draw me back from wishing to be elsewhere from my house. For while gaming is frowned upon by many as a worthless activity, I find it to be equivalent to say, reading, a cultural enlightenment and mental growth, and do not want to give it up.

So I ask you, oh denziens of Evercrest, is Kingdom Hearts worth it? Will it give me that which I seek, worthy anticipation? Or will Donald and Goofy piss me the fuck off?

Maradon's opinions, while of the status of best friend, will be outright ignored in this thread.

(edit: have you ever saw a typo...just as you click the post button...fuck I hate that.)

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: CBTao ]

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-03-2002 12:51:27 AM
Yes.
CBTao
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 12:55:17 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Delphi Aegis was all like:
Yes.

I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate, or at least fucking not answer yes to a goddamn or question...god I hate that.

(all flames were ment in humor, I don't know you enough to hate you...yet)

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 10-03-2002 01:00:36 AM
It's really tough to say, actually... I've been playing Kingdom Hearts for the past almost 2 weeks.

I'm really enjoying it, but it is not as in depth a game as Final Fantasy 10.

My only complaint is that the plot is just a wee bit childish at points, mostly having to do with matters of the heart.

All in all, I'd say this is a decent game, but rent it first.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 01:03:34 AM
quote:
Mooj spewed forth this undeniable truth:
It's really tough to say, actually... I've been playing Kingdom Hearts for the past almost 2 weeks.

I'm really enjoying it, but it is not as in depth a game as Final Fantasy 10.

My only complaint is that the plot is just a wee bit childish at points, mostly having to do with matters of the heart.

All in all, I'd say this is a decent game, but rent it first.

I should mention I enjoyed the plot to Musashi, which was vastly childish, but FUN

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 10-03-2002 01:05:05 AM
If you enjoyed Musashi, I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption that you'll enjoy Kingdom Hearts.

Just be prepared to hate the camera angles and item system. Everything else is pretty damn good.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-03-2002 01:09:17 AM
This is second-hand information, but I've heard of four distinct problems with KH's gameplay

1. Targetting is apparently a pain in the ass in some places. To the point of throwing your controller in frustration

2. Camera angles need work and sometimes get "stuck"

3. Party mates help themselves to potions and such

4. Something about "Starfox-like scenes of travel where you're going through rings and such"

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

CBTao
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 01:11:55 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Pirotess:
This is second-hand information, but I've heard of four distinct problems with KH's gameplay

1. Targetting is apparently a pain in the ass in some places. To the point of throwing your controller in frustration

one controller met its demise at Tidus' chocobo race thingy...I shall not be getting KH, thank you for your assistance.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-03-2002 01:12:39 AM
If you downright despise Disney, you'll despise Kingdom Hearts.

If you don't like Donald and Goofy, you can still like Kingdom Hearts. Even though they are your main companions through the game, they aren't the center of attention very much at all.

Plus, Goofy's a badass in combat.

If you liked Musashi, you'll like KH. Similar gameplay.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 10-03-2002 01:14:57 AM
Actually, CBTao, the targetting isn't that bad. Auto-Targetting works about as well as any game will with multiple enemies on the screen. Targetting hasn't been an issue for me, and I'm nearly at the end of the game.
CBTao
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 01:16:49 AM
quote:
Mooj painfully thought these words up:
Actually, CBTao, the targetting isn't that bad. Auto-Targetting works about as well as any game will with multiple enemies on the screen. Targetting hasn't been an issue for me, and I'm nearly at the end of the game.

I feel I should mention I despised the n64 Zeldas for their targeting system

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 10-03-2002 01:22:37 AM
Hmmm, I never played the N64 Zeldas, so I can't comment on that targetting system...

But trust me, anyone having trouble targetting in this game shouldn't be playing it in the first place. You don't need target locks to attack or anything, the only real point of locking onto a target is finding one specific enemy in a group, and switching lock ons is as easy as pressing L2.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-03-2002 01:25:07 AM
quote:
CBTao had this to say about (_|_):
one controller met its demise at Tidus' chocobo race thingy...I shall not be getting KH, thank you for your assistance.
It's not that bad.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 10-03-2002 01:29:21 AM
I enjoy it thoroughly. My biggest gripes are :

1) Item system. You can only have so many items in your 'pocket', at a time. IE : 3. So one potion, one ether, and one hi-potion.

In a boss fight, you'll use those up. especially ethers. I chew through those like nothing else.

But once you run out, you have to wait until you're OUT of combat to restock.

Pain. In. The. Ass.

2) I've only run into a couple sticky parts with the camera, but nothing that got me killed.

3) Targetting is fine for me, the only thing I wish is that it would target the first target FOR me. As it is, I touch a button first. Annoying, but acceptable.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-03-2002 04:03:04 AM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about (_|_):
I enjoy it thoroughly. My biggest gripes are :

1) Item system. You can only have so many items in your 'pocket', at a time. IE : 3. So one potion, one ether, and one hi-potion.

In a boss fight, you'll use those up. especially ethers. I chew through those like nothing else.

Maybe if you chose the staff in the beginning.

But why the hell would you want to specialize in something that requires MP to do? Especially when you've got Donald.

You get PLENTY of of MP later int he game, as well as many more item slots.

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Densetsu ]

Maradon!
posted 10-03-2002 08:18:38 AM
poo head.

Musashi was friggin Apocalypse Now compared to Kingdom Hearts

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Maradon XP ]

Len the Studious
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 10:50:06 AM
quote:
CBTao had this to say about Captain Planet:
I should mention I enjoyed the plot to Musashi, which was vastly childish, but FUN

I now respect you 10000x more.

Tier
posted 10-03-2002 11:31:42 AM
I liked threads of fate
Mojojojo
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 11:39:02 AM
Im new to the board but have defeated KH with all Tournaments defeated and Ultimate Weapon obtained. The gameplay is not FF related at all. Its completely action and you will get tired of hitting the X button -haha- when doing combos. The storyline flows well from beginning to end and the FF characters fit in the game well. But this is NOT a FF game. Really nothing about it except for the Item names/FF Characters are like the FF gameplay. Even the CG seems a little less detailed. The summons are useless usually because the battles are very short and Goofy flat out kicks butt. (The summons remove your other characters from battle)

There are a ton of secrets though. If you like secrets then get this. Each of the "Truffel" mobs give out secret items when hit with certain combos or magics. These are pretty fun and required for the Ultima Weapon.

Item Usage, and even Magic usage that isnt "hotkeyed" is a pain in the butt to use during battle. Only 3 magic types can be hotkeyed at a time. Donald and Goofy will deplete your item supply in any given battle.

Things I found interesting:

Collisium battle: Sephiroth(spelling) - He is awesome and it plays the FF7 ending theme song while battling him. He also is in his Half Human/Half Angel form. One hard motha!

Some kid won a contest and got his name on the last character in the Collisium after Sephiroth but he isn't as hard. Pretty neat I guess.

And lastly, I just like the different Keyblade looks.

Oh ya, forgot about Cloud - His new look flat out rocks.

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Mojojojo ]

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 10-03-2002 11:41:55 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Densetsu:
[QUOTE]Khyron had this to say about (_|_):
[qb]I enjoy it thoroughly. My biggest gripes are :

Maybe if you chose the staff in the beginning.

But why the hell would you want to specialize in something that requires MP to do? Especially when you've got Donald.

You get PLENTY of of MP later int he game, as well as many more item slots.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I chose the sword to keep and staff to give up.

And I chew through ethers because HEAL HEAL HEAL *ether* HEAL HEAL HEAL *ether* HEAL HEAL HEAL *ether*

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 10-03-2002 11:44:34 AM
I don't know about all of that shit..

IT'S CUTE AS ALL FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved watching people playing it!

I got all bouncie and stuff!!!

thats what I look for in games!

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-03-2002 11:52:29 AM
quote:
Mojojojo stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Stuff

I've beaten all three Coliseum cups and haven't even seen Sephiroth.

And repeatedly hitting X isn't any different than any menu-based RPG, so who cares?

Khyron, are you using YOUR items to heal your OTHER party members? If so, therein lies your problem. Don't bother healing Donald or Goofy, they'll wake up after being down for a few minutes. They eventually learn an ability that lets them recover faster and with full health. Goofy learns this way before Donald, but Goofy's really the only one who needs to be alive in battle anyway, unless you want to summon.

Not ALL the summons are useless, they're just not very useful in boss battles. They can be VERY useful when faced with hordes of enemies.

[edit: Khyron, you made the same choices I did. Honestly though, I've never once equipped an ether, or a hi-potion, lol. Once you get like 5MP and Cura, that will become your main source of healing though. Remember, attacking enemies replenishes your MP.]

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Densetsu ]

Mojojojo
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 11:58:20 AM
You have to beat the Hades cup which is after the 3rd cup and it is 40 rounds.

Your X button will wear out after that hehe!

Oh ya to get the Hades cup you have to Lock all of the Keyholes on all the worlds.

Its fun. Watch out for the Ice Titan!

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Mojojojo ]

Suddar
posted 10-03-2002 12:07:03 PM
Brave Fencer Musashi was one of the coolest games ever.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: