EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Laptop.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 11-18-2001 04:29:45 PM
Okay everyone, I'm thinking it's finally time I got a laptop. I need portability

Here's the things I'm looking for :

1) Price. I'm trying to minimize the blow to my pocketbook with this one. My parents MIGHT pay for half as a christmas present, but I doubt that.

2) Performance. I need something that can run 3D games to some degree. At the least it should run Red Alert 2 well.

3) Reliability. I know next to nothing about laptops. I live on a Desktop (Almost literally, I don't know the best prices, I don't know the best brands, I don't know how different laptops stack up. Ask me a desktop question and I know what I'm talking about. Ask me a laptop question and I'm clueless.), so I want as much help as I can get.

Thanks.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 04:33:34 PM
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 04:36:15 PM
Just get the GeForce2 Go 32mb and then configure everything else how you like.

Dell is the way to go for laptops. Trust me on this one.

Koska Kintaro
Not Banned Yet
posted 11-18-2001 04:37:58 PM
To be perfectly honest, I suggest you emphasize price over performance.

Having a uber-high end laptop is nice, true, but if you're at all like me you'll just never find yourself using it for games. It's simply easier to fire up your PC, have your ub0r sound system, better performance, bigger monitor, etc.

When I'm away from my PC I'm either at work or school. At school I'm doing homework, and I don't bring my laptop to work

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 04:43:09 PM
quote:
Tom's Hardware Guide had this to say about Tron:

As we already told you in our Day 0 report from Comdex, Nvidia was keen to make sure that we knew that the new NV17M was the laptop technology of the future. Now, with over 90 million Nvidia based graphics cards shipped and closing in on 100 million by year’s end, the NV17M reprsents a new level of 3D graphics for the mobile platform. Being one of the world’s single biggest semiconductor companies is a fact not lost on Nvidia.

Nvidia is betting its reputation on the new technology of this chip. In some ways, it sounds like nothing more than an advanced mobile GeForce 3, but, in fact, the NV17M includes the features found in the GeForce 3 chips and more, adding a few new wrinkles in order to make things interesting. With Nvidia's goal of being able to run everything at 1024x768 with a playback rate of 60fps, it is as fast as any GeForce card that shipped a year ago. Nvidia could not be pinned down when asked how much it will add to the cost of the average notebook. You should expect to see it in a notebook from Toshiba toward the end of February, 2002.

Source: http://www4.tomshardware.com/business/01q4/011113/index.html

Basically, Dell now or Toshiba in a few months.

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Kegwen Tabibito ]

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 04:53:40 PM
Research is fun, I guess.

ZDnet Notebook Guide

NOTE: I HIGHLY recommend Gateway and Dell over all other companies... but do NOT buy from Compaq or Hewlett Packard (They're the same company now, and Compaq aer sux).

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Kegwen Tabibito ]

Khyron
posted 11-18-2001 05:20:46 PM
What about Sony? I hear good things about Sony (Here in the office)
Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 11-18-2001 05:24:41 PM
Wish I could help but im as clueless as you are..
"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 05:31:21 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Khyron was all like:

They're not bad. Vaios are light, but 'spensive and, in my experience, aren't going to run anything ever-so-slightly 3D.

Kanid
BANNED
posted 11-18-2001 05:48:28 PM
I've been using my Dell Inspiron 7000 to run EverQuest since the day I bought it to the day I quit EverQuest. It's only a PII 400 with an 8Meg ATI Rage Mobility, but it works just fine.
"Unlike adults, children have little need to deceive themselves." - Goethe
Happiness is subjective, subject yourself to it whenever possible.
"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." - John Barrymore
Wise men still seek Him.
Prometheus
Pancake
posted 11-18-2001 05:55:07 PM
If you get a Dell - which is a great choice, by the way - make sure you get the all-inclusive extended warranty. Its worth it.
Prometheus
"Forethought"
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 06:18:25 PM
quote:
Kanid impressed everyone with:
I've been using my Dell Inspiron 7000 to run EverQuest since the day I bought it to the day I quit EverQuest. It's only a PII 400 with an 8Meg ATI Rage Mobility, but it works just fine.

While this may be true, keep in mind that EverQuest's engine is teh sux right now. It won't even come close to running SoL, and it would probably run DAoC with EXTENSIVE lag.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 06:19:02 PM
quote:
Prometheus had this to say about (_|_):
If you get a Dell - which is a great choice, by the way - make sure you get the all-inclusive extended warranty. Its worth it.

Indeed.

Khyron
posted 11-18-2001 06:37:57 PM
Okay... currently I have my eyes set on this :

Dell Inspiron 8100
$1,603.00

Intel P3 866, 15" monitor (For the price of a 14")
256MB Ram (For the price of 128)
20 GB drive
8X DVD-ROM
32MB DDR 4X AGP NVIDIA GeForce2 Go™Vid
1 yr warranty (Cost is everything for me...)
Windows ME (No way in hell I'm going for WinXP on my baby.)

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 11-18-2001 11:55:32 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Duck Tales:

1 yr warranty (Cost is everything for me...)
Windows ME (No way in hell I'm going for WinXP on my baby.)

SPEND THE EXTRA. Trust me here... It will save you money later.

And why no WindowsXP? It is a LOT better then ME.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-19-2001 12:05:46 AM
quote:
Azizza impressed everyone with:

SPEND THE EXTRA. Trust me here... It will save you money later.

And why no WindowsXP? It is a LOT better then ME.

YES!!!

Cost will skyrocket if it breaks after one year. Repairs = bad.

WinME SUCKS. SUCKS. SUCKS. SUCKS.

Get XP. Trust us on this one.

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 11-19-2001 03:47:18 AM
XP = teh roxxors

My gaming buddies all use XP nowadays. They love the hell out of it, it's a hell of a lot more stable then 98 or 2000 (I'm told) and has a lower high end than ME (I'm told) = hella better for gaming than any other Windows.

But that's just from me, don't take my advice if you want, after all it's just advice.

(I would get my own copy of XP from them, but I'm always to busy playing FA when I'm over there )

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Khyron
posted 11-19-2001 01:06:36 PM
I'm against XP for personal reasons. I might pirate it (I know, I'm evil, but I hate Microsoft's whole product activation thing), and besides, I'm using WinME right now, it works great.

As for the paying more money for better warranty, I will do so, just not immediately. I'll probably extend the warranty after about 6 months or so.

Mightion Defensor
posted 11-19-2001 01:20:37 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Tron:

I do tech support for Sony laptops.

If you DO buy a Sony, register it within 90 days. Trust me on this.

Don't buy a Sony thinking you'll get top-notch audio. Sony puts crap speakers and sound cards in their machines, both desktop and laptop.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-19-2001 05:17:30 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I'm against XP for personal reasons. I might pirate it (I know, I'm evil, but I hate Microsoft's whole product activation thing), and besides, I'm using WinME right now, it works great.

Pirating is good. *proudly displays his pirated copy of WinXP professional, then quickly ducks into the underbrush as the horde of MS thugs on patrol runs by*

Though I may be against the activation thing, it makes sense. They've finally taken a serious step towards preventing pirating.

This step was FAR more effective than the pain-in-the-ass known only as Office2000's product registration.

I'll just say this:
"This product will run 14 more times before you must register..."

Even though I already have registered.

Once normally, and two times on the phone with MS tech support, wherein they wiped the old entry and gave me a new code (that doesn't work after a reformat, apparently).

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Kegwen Tabibito ]

Khyron
posted 11-19-2001 09:08:39 PM
Welp, I have news...

I'll find out for certain on thursday, but it seems that I will have a laptop by the end of november, hopefully.

Since I can't afford it right now, I'm hoping for 90-days same as cash (I could do that EASILY, and still have plenty of money for christmas shopping

Squire Twitch
Pancake
posted 11-20-2001 01:07:05 AM
Mine is a Dell inspiron 4000.. ATI RAGE Mobility 8 meg.. it runs EQ fine, Rogue Spear and Halflife like a dream. Civ2 just fine. Just about everything I throw at it. It even runs DAoC just fine, but DAoC gets choppy in crowds, not unplayable, but choppy.

Obviously, I'd go with Dell. They have made me happy. And since you can get it now with a higher end card, and bigger HD.. No reason to go to another company.

Fair warning. It is called a notebook today, because the term "laptop" can cause burns on your thighs.Bigger CPU, More Ram, More Video power means more heat. If you must put it in your lap, use something in between. And NOT a pillow. Use something rigid. You want those little laptop vents to be clear to vent.. ya know..

My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt
Khyron
posted 11-23-2001 11:25:35 PM
w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t

It's ordered.

2 business days, and they'll send me confirmation.
Then 3-5 days later it arrives.

Plus since I did this before monday, I'll be getting all three specials (Free shipping, A 15" screen instead of a 14", and 256MB RAM for the price of 128MB).

To say the least, i'm excited.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Khyron ]

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: