EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Motherboard
Kanid
BANNED
posted 11-18-2001 12:19:33 PM
Having never built a computer from scratch, I'm looking for information on what I'll need for this AMD Duron 700 I was given.

What do I need to check to make sure the motherboard is compatible with the Duron at that speed and are there any settings I need to configure in the BIOS for the processor?

Also gonna need a heatsink and fan, anything special I should look for?

"Unlike adults, children have little need to deceive themselves." - Goethe
Happiness is subjective, subject yourself to it whenever possible.
"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." - John Barrymore
Wise men still seek Him.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-18-2001 12:30:32 PM
200Mhz FSB, right? Look for a Socket A mobo that supports that bus speed.

As for a heatsink/fan, just look for something made for AMD processers.

You can find both at NewEgg.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-18-2001 12:30:58 PM
Check AMD's webpage. They have recommended components for building AMD-based computers

Fal

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 11-18-2001 12:37:49 PM
You don't have to get too fancy with a 700 Duron

I have a very good heatsink/fan combo with my Athlon 800

It's a circular type with the fan inside. It doesn't look very big, but it's great at cooling

And as was said, you want a Socket A motherboard. Asus and Abit are the best. Mine is a Tyan and it's pretty damn nifty, too.

Also, I know my Tyan supports both PC 100 and PC 133 RAM. Some motherboards only support one kind, but it's nice you have a choice, although you really shouldn't use PC 100 133 is better

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 01:32:27 PM
As long as it's from ASUS or MSI you're good.

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Kegwen Tabibito ]

Prometheus
Pancake
posted 11-18-2001 02:37:02 PM
Don't forget Abit
Prometheus
"Forethought"
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 02:42:18 PM
quote:
Prometheus had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Don't forget Abit

OMFG!!!

DON'T EVER USE THAT...EBIL NAME HERE!!! NOT EVEN IN JEST!!!! ARGH!!!!

Kanid
BANNED
posted 11-18-2001 02:52:16 PM
Woohoo!
http://www.msi.com.tw/newsrelease/2001_1113_6373.htm

Okay, so if I get one of these : http://www.msi.com.tw/products/mainboard/mainboard.php?model=MS-6373
I could set it up with the AMD Duron 700? Then later, when I have more money, just replace the CPU with 1.4GHz Athlon?

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Kanid ]

Wise men still seek Him.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 02:54:03 PM
quote:
Kanid had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Woohoo!

HELLS YEAH!

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-18-2001 03:07:02 PM
quote:
Kanid wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Okay, so if I get one of these : http://www.msi.com.tw/products/mainboard/mainboard.php?model=MS-6373
I could set it up with the AMD Duron 700? Then later, when I have more money, just replace the CPU with 1.4GHz Athlon?

Indeed you can.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 03:09:09 PM
quote:
Kanid impressed everyone with:
Woohoo!

Yes, you can. Or you could get an Athlon XP 1900... *GRIN*

Prometheus
Pancake
posted 11-18-2001 03:21:04 PM

There's nothing wrong with Abit. They make quality boards.
Prometheus
"Forethought"
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 03:32:03 PM
quote:
Prometheus had this to say about Cuba:

There's nothing wrong with Abit. They make quality boards.

Everybody I know who has bought an Abit board (4 different people who don't know eachother, and I believe four different boards) have had unsatisfactory, if not disastrous experiences.

Fried processors, motherboards, etc have resulted from situations that, had another board been used, would most likely not have produced that nasty effect.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-18-2001 03:54:23 PM
yep, im having OH SO MANY problems with my ABIT board.

(Sarcasm switch off)

I had a problem that was FIXED by removing an ASUS board from my comp and replacing it with an ABIT board using the same chipset (KT133A)

So HA!

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 04:12:26 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about dark elf butts:
yep, im having OH SO MANY problems with my ABIT board.

(Sarcasm switch off)

I had a problem that was FIXED by removing an ASUS board from my comp and replacing it with an ABIT board using the same chipset (KT133A)

So HA!

My friends all told me that they would hunt me down and kill me if I so much as thought about spending, no, wasting ( ) my money on an ABIT . Anyhoo, ABIT doesn't target the "high-end" market nearly as much as ASUS and MSI. So there.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-18-2001 04:21:37 PM
BTW, what exactly is so special about the nForce board again now? I know it has built-in GeForce2 graphics, but what sort of graphics are they? Which GeForce2 video card does it compare to?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 04:28:39 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
BTW, what exactly is so special about the nForce board again now? I know it has built-in GeForce2 graphics, but what sort of graphics are they? Which GeForce2 video card does it compare to?

MX400, but really it compares to the GeForce3 except in higher resolutions... this is because being onboard makes it the rough equivalent of 8x. Plus, it has priority over almost everything in CPU access. I highly suggest you go through this

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2001 04:32:23 PM
And This
Kanid
BANNED
posted 11-18-2001 05:39:42 PM
There are a lot of other advantages as well, and so far it seems like the best idea in motherboard technology in a long time.

Another advantage is nVidia's "one driver" concept, one driver for all hardware.

Wise men still seek Him.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: