EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Defragmenting
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 08-13-2001 01:56:00 PM
Do i REALLY need to do it? Because i've noticed a decline in MY computer's performance, and i never defrag, but my dad does and his run's smoothly...

So do i HAVE to defrag? or is it optional?

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-13-2001 02:00:00 PM
Defrag basically moves all the various pieces of files closer to each other. This does speed up loading them because you're not having to search all over the driver for them. But this process can take several hours to complete.

Is it worth it? Usually yes. Especially if you've been deleting files or installing/uninstalling/reinstalling things. The more use (read: creation, modification) a files sees the more fragmented it's lible to become.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Lalian Viajante
Pancake
posted 08-13-2001 02:31:00 PM
I'd strongly reccommend you do it at least monthly. If you don't do it, you could speed up the decay of your operating system (which will happen anyway in Windows heh). Also, your performance will be quite a bit greater if you do it regularly.
Riversong
Pancake
posted 08-13-2001 03:13:00 PM
When I defrag I usually let it run while i'm sleeping then it doesn't matter how long it takes I find that loading times in games are greatly increased right after i defrag
~*Riversong Averangel*~
56th level wandering bard on SolRo

image from: BlueRaven's Vault

Maradon!
posted 08-13-2001 05:35:00 PM
Do you HAVE to defrag?

No, but not defragging is tantamount to not bathing.

Defragmenting your hard drive is kinda like organizing a bookshelf:

You're a process. You're given an index (the file allocation table). The index tells you were the book (file) you're looking for is in relation to all the other books (files). If your hard drive is fragmented, then it's like looking through a pile of books scattered about on the floor. If you're hard drive is in contiguous order, it's like looking through an alphabetically organized rack.

And try to remember: there HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of books!

Having a heavily fragmented hard drive slows read-write operations (ie. everything) drastically, can cause errors in certain programs, and is one of the leading causes of the Blue Screen of Death. Fragmented hard drives make even the mightiest processor balk and cry like a baby.

Also, if you EVER call or write any tech support for anything, the first thing they'll likely tell you to do is defragment your hard drive.

I suggest you defragment at LEAST twice a month, but don't use that shitty one included with Win98, as it is really kinda slow. I prefer Diskeeper personally. It's got a nicer graphical representation, and it seems a deal faster.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 08-13-2001 08:49:00 PM
Thanks! =)
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 08-13-2001 08:52:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Maradon?:
[QBDiskeeper[/QB]

Crack plz k thx info

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: