EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Diceless Stat Rolling Method: Average-Adjust
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 01-09-2004 08:32:47 AM
I've found this to be a great way to roll stats if I don't have a d6 handy, and also a great way to make balanced characters.

Character sheet:
Chumpy
Neutral
Male
Human
Fighter (1)

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

This is how my character sheet generally looks at the start. Now, the DM declares an average stat. Let's just go with the traditional D&D average of 13.

Next, you assign that average to every ability score.

STR 13
DEX 13
CON 13
INT 13
WIS 13
CHA 13

Then, you make racial adjustments. Since Chumpy's human, he has none.

Now, you alter stats point-for-point. If you want Chumpy to have a STR of 15, you need to take two points from another stat.

The stats may end up looking something like this:

STR 15 (+2)
DEX 13 (+1)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 11 (+0)
WIS 11 (+0)
CHA 12 (+1)

Of course, the maximum you can have in any stat is 18 (+bonus or -penalty) and the minimum is 3 (+bonus or -penalty, although INT can't be lower than 3).

And that's about it.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-09-2004 09:04:57 AM
You just found this

It's been the policy on my game since it began, right here, two years ago. It's also the basis for the point-buy concept available in 3rd edition character generators (point buy charges higher penalties for extreme scores, though). In the aforementioned character generators, an average ability score of 11 is for low-powered campaigns, 12 is standard, and 13 is for high-powered campaigns. An average ability score of 14 is considered ECL +1.

In 2nd edition campaigns, where the main value of character stats only shows up at their extremes, a flat-out average stat of 13 is more likely to be considered normal, with 14 or 15 for high-powered campaigns, and 11 or 12 for low-powered ones.

[ 01-09-2004: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: