EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hoping Satan-mart gets a lump of coal
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-01-2003 05:02:13 AM
See Dens makes an argument that could work. I don't change my stance, but I can at least see his, because it's based on facts linked logically into a coherent argument.

And I'll be honest: Part of the reason I can see Dens's point is due to the fact that after the third person rammed my leg with their cart trying to get ahead of me when I wasn't even TRYING to get in any of the lines at Wal-Mart, I was ready to go "HULK SMAAAAAAASH" on the next person who pissed me off.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-01-2003 05:13:24 AM
I'm selling yak's milk and pickles at half price.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 12-01-2003 11:40:58 AM
quote:
How.... Bloodsage.... uughhhhhh:
That doesn't matter--if Mog Samthor says it's illegal dumping, then it is, by golly!

Hell, he'd probably argue with Gydyon about it.

I am an antitrust lawyer, after all.....I therefore know NOTHING about price dumping and why Wal-Mart does or doesn't do it....

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 12-01-2003 11:59:07 AM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about (_|_):
its actualy illegal to sell things below your cost if its in a effort to attempt to drive your competitors out of the market with the intention of when such copetition is gone you will then raise the price. in addtition it seems that even if in a normal market your normal policies can be considered monopistic and thus illegal even if otherwise they would not be (seee the sherman act section 2)

refrencing your example of clearing out out of season items thats not illegal becuse everyone does somthing simular and its not in of its self a effort to cause market disruption

regardles of how you feel ...its my opion that walmart is cupable in this case... i never said they shouldered the entire blame or even a signifcant portion thereof.

thanks for the response though it was a well thought out counter point except for the corner thing.

You are actually referring to predatory pricing, which is a Sherman Act 2 offense (and by some considered to be a myth http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-169.html ). Wal-Mart has been sued for it in the past, and a brief Internet search did not locate for me a case in which Wal-Mart has ever lost a predatory pricing charge (and maybe won't be found, as a 2002 study that I found today suggests that they've never been found liable http://www.regent.edu/acad/schgov/researchmemos/bill458.html .

This makes sense, because in order to lose a predatory pricing charge, the plaintiff must prove that you lowered your prices below your costs (and if you think thirty bucks is below cost for a DVD player I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn), for a period of time, with the express purpose or result of driving your regional competitors out of business. That is a nearly impossible standard to meet, and it certainly can't be met by a DVD sale or other periodic price reductions.

Dumping, while occasionally used to refer to predatory pricing, usally more generally refers to import/export practice, such as what China does to the U.S. on a regular basis. So I would suggest you modify your terminology.

In any case, I am interrupting some good baseless rambling. Please continue.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-01-2003 11:59:57 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Gydfather wrote:
I am an antitrust lawyer, after all.....I therefore know NOTHING about price dumping and why Wal-Mart does or doesn't do it....

Oho, but this is the INTARWEB. You can pretend to know EVERYTHING!

And you can do anything at zombo.com. Anything at all!

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 12-01-2003 12:18:00 PM
But thumb sore doesn't feel that way, so you must be wrong gyd. In the interest of world peace!

[ 12-01-2003: Message edited by: Neo-Blindy ]

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Gydyon
posted 12-01-2003 12:54:46 PM
quote:
Verily, Tarquinn doth proclaim:
And you can do anything at zombo.com. Anything at all!

The only limitation...is yourself!

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 12-01-2003 12:55:30 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Somthor wrote:
yes but tis not tap water it has added mineral content for taste and its a reverse osmosis process so its hopefuly pure.

Do you even know what that means?
And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 12-01-2003 01:10:38 PM
Quick! Someone pay Gyd!

Burger
BANNED!
posted 12-01-2003 01:20:17 PM
for the same reason that concerts, bars, and other events that see large crowds need to hire security personnel, wal*mart should have. They had the reasonable expectation that there would be a lot of people there and they should know from past experiences elsewhere that large crowds aren't always polite and well mannered.

They should have taken every reasonable precaution to ensure the welfare of the shoppers on their premises, and not doing so is negligent. It's providing an unsafe environment.

If you have a deep pit with sharp spikes on the bottom, merely putting up a sing saying "DANGER, SPIKE TRAP" won't save your ass from a lawsuit if someone falls in. Yes, it's a poor analogy, but I'm on drugs right now for a really badly infected throat.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-01-2003 01:41:41 PM
*Sacrifices a mighty plate of nuclear-hot wings, to honor the Gydyon*
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Gydyon
posted 12-01-2003 01:44:14 PM
quote:
Burger had this to say about Pirotess:
If you have a deep pit with sharp spikes on the bottom, merely putting up a sing saying "DANGER, SPIKE TRAP" won't save your ass from a lawsuit if someone falls in. Yes, it's a poor analogy, but I'm on drugs right now for a really badly infected throat.

Get off the drugs and come back when you have coherence. Wal-Mart has no duty to have "adequate security personnel." It's a department store, not a demolition derby or rodeo, or a spike trap that is inherently dangerous and thus subject to a higher standard (and I'm not even sure abou the derby or the rodeo). Accidents happen, but if we hold Wal-Mart up to some riduculously high negligence standard because of an unfortunate incident, the only result will be increased costs for the consumers. Nobody will miraculously have their injuries from this incident go away...

How about we blame the idiots in the mob? Since it was them who trampled her and all, and not Wal-Mart. It''s not like the CEO came down and stepped on her head.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-01-2003 01:50:07 PM
quote:
Gydfather had this to say about John Romero:
It''s not like the CEO came down and stepped on her head.

He did, however, fart on her head after the mob dispersed.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Gydyon
posted 12-01-2003 01:52:30 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop attempted to be funny by writing:
He did, however, fart on her head after the mob dispersed.

Well, that changes everything. Was it an SBD or a loud one?

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 12-01-2003 02:10:45 PM
It was a wet popper.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Gydyon
posted 12-01-2003 02:12:01 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Neo-Blindy said this:
It was a wet popper.

SUE HIM UNTIL HIS EYES BLEEEEEEEED

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-01-2003 02:13:24 PM
code:

cul·pa·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (klp-bl)
adj.
Deserving of blame or censure as being wrong,
evil, improper, or injurious.
See Synonyms at blameworthy.

I will refute your claims, one by one!

A) it happened in their store

This, while meaning thier insurance is involved, does not impart sue-ability. If the PLACE in question (not the other people.) was dangerous, yes, they would be at fault. I.E. she fell on a loose floor tile, slippery floor, the automatic doors shut on her... then it would involve the place. Just because it happened on the property of Wal-Mart Inc. does not make it Wal-mart's fault (i.e. if the mailman's walking on your front porch, and the neighbor's dog attacks him, it's not your fault, even though he's on your property.)

B) they created the atmospher that led to the incident with the 6 am siren and lack of additional personel on hand to deal with any problems

You have absolutly no idea weather or not they had additional personell. You also did not see the situation - while a siren could be quite bad, it also could be not very bad at all; it all depends on how loud it was, and in what manner it was used. You were not there - you assume, which is never a good thing to do.

C) they were dumping the DvD players on the market below cost.

While everyone in this thread has been over this, they weren't dumping, or flooding markets. Whether you live in the middle of nowhere with no Circuit Cities, Best Buys, or whatever is not the issue. They weren't trying to drive whatever companies you have out of business. What they were TRYING to do, though a LOT of other companies had either similar prices or better prices, is to draw in business.

Low prices one day of the year isn't dumping - it's capitalisim. Supply and Demand. Store A and Store B are right next to each other. Both Stores buy bananas for 2 cents a lb. and store A sells bananas for 20 cents a lb. Store B sells bananas for 25 cents/lb. You'll buy bananas at Store A, right? Store A is cutting thier own price margin to get your business. This is capitalism at it's best.

For the cheapie DVD players, they are probably less then 10 bucks a unit - but even if it IS a loss, you are allowed to sell at a loss. Every gamecube they sold at 80 dollars is a 6 buck loss - but companies figure that the software sold will make up for the 6 dollar loss.

Give me some solid proof about ANYTHING. So far, it's just your own preconcived notions, and uninformed opinion.

[ 12-01-2003: Message edited by: Gikk ]

Gydyon
posted 12-01-2003 02:15:19 PM
*gives Gikk a gold star*
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-01-2003 02:16:29 PM
On the nose?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Gydyon
posted 12-01-2003 02:17:16 PM
She can put it wherever she wants!
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-01-2003 02:17:36 PM
Ooooo. I got a starrrr.

How many points does it have?

Oh, and how's the wife, Gyd? ^_^

*sitcks it on her nose*

[ 12-01-2003: Message edited by: Gikk ]

Gydyon
posted 12-01-2003 02:19:12 PM
quote:
Gikk impressed everyone with:
Ooooo. I got a starrrr.

How many points does it have?

Oh, and how's the wife, Gyd? ^_^

*sitcks it on her nose*

She's doing great.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 12-01-2003 04:37:18 PM
quote:
Gydfather thought about the meaning of life:
Get off the drugs and come back when you have coherence. Wal-Mart has no duty to have "adequate security personnel." It's a department store, not a demolition derby or rodeo, or a spike trap that is inherently dangerous and thus subject to a higher standard (and I'm not even sure abou the derby or the rodeo). Accidents happen, but if we hold Wal-Mart up to some riduculously high negligence standard because of an unfortunate incident, the only result will be increased costs for the consumers. Nobody will miraculously have their injuries from this incident go away...

How about we blame the idiots in the mob? Since it was them who trampled her and all, and not Wal-Mart. It''s not like the CEO came down and stepped on her head.

while his spike trap analogy mgiht ahev bean horible, the whoel concerts hreign security thing was the closest thing in this entire thread to a reasonabl e argument agaisnt walmart

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-01-2003 04:46:14 PM
quote:
Mog got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
while his spike trap analogy mgiht ahev bean horible, the whoel concerts hreign security thing was the closest thing in this entire thread to a reasonabl e argument agaisnt walmart

Can we please have the mog back that was trying to spell correctly? I miss him

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 12-01-2003 04:54:05 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Falaanla Marr wrote:
Can we please have the mog back that was trying to spell correctly? I miss him

I agree, I want to read your posts man, but I get 6 words in and then just skip it

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-01-2003 05:08:16 PM
I just have him on ignore so I know not to put forth any effort.
Gydyon
posted 12-01-2003 05:31:55 PM
quote:
Mog had this to say about Pirotess:

Again, a concert is a whole different world. And how many lawsuits have people won against concerts that didn't have security? Is the security for liability protection or at the demand of the performers?

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-01-2003 05:58:12 PM
Oh shazbot...

Sage handles things, then it's like he tags Gyd and Gyd comes in to finish the guy off.

I love this thread.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 12-01-2003 06:31:19 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Mog was all like:

YOU DO BLAME THE WHO, YOU GODLESS COMMUNIST!

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 12-01-2003 08:16:04 PM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about Optimus Prime:
its a reverse osmosis process

This made me laugh harder than anything else in the thread.

can you please fix my title
posted 12-01-2003 08:18:38 PM
quote:
How.... Gydfather.... uughhhhhh:

Dumping, while occasionally used to refer to predatory pricing, usally more generally refers to import/export practice, such as what China does to the U.S. on a regular basis. So I would suggest you modify your terminology.

In any case, I am interrupting some good baseless rambling. Please continue.

so noted.. i am after all just a amatuer i bow to your expertise

best example i can come up with is where wal mart got sued for selling canned cat food for .05 a can when it cost at the time .20 cent a can (most the cost is shipping) in a effort to force pet supermarket to close its doors... after a month of this they got threatened with a law suit and it stopped.

Wal Mart is pretty good at pushing up to the point of a case they might lose

best reference I have found was by a lawyer who was protesting Wal Marts foray into banking. It cites several sources such as CBS the new york times 60 minutes etc etc basincly stateing that Wal mart is a preditory Company. (happy to post it as a follow up if any one wants to see it)

but back to the original intent of the post..I smell a lawsuit

in your proffesional opinion, do you think there is no basis for a Lawsuit by the victim against Wal-mart Frivolous or otherwise?

[ 12-01-2003: Message edited by: Somthor ]

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 12-01-2003 08:19:43 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael wrote:
Oh shazbot...

Sage handles things, then it's like he tags Gyd and Gyd comes in to finish the guy off.

I love this thread.

beautiful sight isnt it?

popcorn? *hands a bag of popcorn over*

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj

posted 12-01-2003 08:32:21 PM
quote:
Gikk had this to say about Robocop:
code:

cul·pa·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (klp-bl)
adj.
Deserving of blame or censure as being wrong,
evil, improper, or injurious.
See Synonyms at blameworthy.

I will refute your claims, one by one!

A) it happened in their store

B) they created the atmosphere that led to the incident with the 6 am siren and lack of additional personel on hand to deal with any problems

You have absolutly no idea weather or not they had additional personell. You also did not see the situation - while a siren could be quite bad, it also could be not very bad at all; it all depends on how loud it was, and in what manner it was used. You were not there - you assume, which is never a good thing to do.

C) they were dumping the DvD players on the market below cost.

Give me some solid proof about ANYTHING. So far, it's just your own preconcived notions, and uninformed opinion.

I will stand by A B and concede that C is a false argument on my part.

C however the in the sense that people were in a rush to get what they felt to be a fantastic bargin in limited supply added to the problem IMO.

I cant give you any solid proof on anything really because the details are not forthcomming. IF you want to call the whole thread False becuse its based on my interpetation of the orginal newspaper story then I can live with that.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-01-2003 09:05:54 PM
Sage and Gyd is back

All is one with the universe

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Drysart
Pancake
posted 12-01-2003 10:54:54 PM
quote:
SomthorSomthorSomthorSomthorSomthorSomthor MUSHROOM MUSHROOM
in your proffesional opinion, do you think there is no basis for a Lawsuit by the victim against Wal-mart Frivolous or otherwise?

I imagine if you want his professional opinion you're going to have to pay to put him on retainer.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 12-01-2003 11:09:44 PM
Bloodsage and Gydyon are like Animal putting the bad guy up on his shoulder and Hawk knocking him off from the top rope. They're like Marty Jannetty and Shawn Michaels climbing up on different corners and doing a double elbow drop from opposite sides of the ring. They're like Matt Hardy doing a Twist of Fate, setting up Jeff Hardy for the Swanton Bomb. They're like Edge and Christian hitting a Conchairto while the referees back is turned.

Tag Team perfection!

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-01-2003 11:36:38 PM
quote:
Snoota was listening to Cher while typing:
Tag Team perfection!

Like Batman and Robin! Like Thing 1 and Thing 2! Like Christianity and Buddhism!

posted 12-02-2003 12:02:56 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Drysart wrote:
I imagine if you want his professional opinion you're going to have to pay to put him on retainer.

why would that be so? he gives his opinion's here constantly for free.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-02-2003 12:03:49 AM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about Captain Planet:

You must pay the ignorance tax.

[ 12-02-2003: Message edited by: Mr. Parcelan ]

Burger
BANNED!
posted 12-02-2003 12:13:36 AM
quote:
Somthor said this about your mom:

there's a difference between the opinion of a professional and someone's professional opinion.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: