EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Chapter One: In Soranil's Wake
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-11-2002 06:25:46 PM
ooc:
Ruvyen: The question is, did you pick them up?
Ruvyen

As with the bag of teeth from last night, the toothy necklace flies off into the trees. You do not see where it goes, and there is too much noise around you to hear if it hits anything.

Falaanla

It takes you a moment to gather the coins. In all, they are not terribly heavy, though their combined weight is still noticeable in your shoulder bag.

As you descend from the branches, the dwarf flings something past you. "Jingly!" Ithar calls out, and flits down from the branch where you left him perched, disappearing behind a tree trunk. For a moment, you hear nothing from the little bird. Then, finally, he adds, "Heavy jingly. Help please."

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-11-2002 08:16:06 PM
Saeessira nods...

I will go with you all then, if only to repay for the helping of me last night in the forest...

She then hears Ithar's call...

Excuse me for a moment...

Sae flies over to Ithar, to see just what he needs help with...

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-11-2002 08:30:56 PM
Falaanla

You find Ithar near the base of a tree, pulling on a string. Hanging from the string on one side are four pointy teeth, each as long as your extended hand, or longer. The string itself is tied in a loop that could easily fit around your waist. Shortly after you find him, Ithar lets the string go, and chirps happily.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-11-2002 08:34:49 PM
Saeessira picks up the string, smiling...

"Looks like this may make a fine belt, Ithar!"

Sae looks at the string of teeth closer, seeing if she can find out anything else about it, seeing if she can sense some sort of magical aura about it...

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-12-2002 06:50:56 PM
Falaanla

When you pick up the necklace, you can find nothing magical about it. There are, however, some engravings in the back of the largest tooth, in a language you can't make out. It also appears that the string would be quite loose around your waist. It might work as a sash, or could be a belt if you untied and retied the thread.

The thread which holds the teeth is soft and silky, and appears to have a blend of different colored strands. The strands are very fine, and the colors blend in with each other, giving the impression of a rolled-up rainbow. There appear to be a mix of red, black, brown, yellow, and orange strands, carefully interwoven and following no particular pattern.

Ithar hops up onto the string, grabbing hold of the two middle teeth with his little feet. He hangs from it, almost like a small swing, and chirps merrily, bouncing a bit. The teeth below him rattle slightly. "Jingly belt?" the little bird asks, looking at you with his head tilted.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-12-2002 07:02:38 PM
Saeessira giggles...

"Yes, Ithar, a belt. and a beautiful one at that. but first..."

Saeessira walks back to the camp, and then asks, loud enough for all to hear...

Excuse me...might anyone here be well versed in languages? I need help reading something...

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-12-2002 08:25:14 PM
Frey tilts her head at the half elf as she bats her eyelashes at Taylen.

Straightening herself out, with her pack, staff and owl, she moves up towards him. Obviously, no one is going to waid for the meat to be dried, so, she might as well follow them as far as the outside of whatever city they go to.

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 04:23:46 PM
Ara smiles, turning to the little winged girl, "Sure, I'll give it a try. What do you need read?" She casually strolls over towards the little one and her pet bird, with a softened expression on her face and a gentle smile across her lips.
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 03-13-2002 04:46:16 PM
Khazmon quickly finishes stuffing things into the shoulderbag. If he's gonna go soon, he'd better hurry!

Khazmon quickly thought about whether or not there would be room for his axes, as he went to retrieve them.

The bag may be too big for him, but it'll have to do for now.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-13-2002 07:38:14 PM
Taylen looks thoughtfully at the sky for a moment, then addresses the group "I've been thinking, I could probably discern a route to that southernmost dot using Destindeterre as a reference point, but that could pose a couple problems. First, with a map this crude I could miss entirely, though if I get close enough we can probably find it. Second, we risk running into more of these." sweeps his arm to indicate the toppled wagons "The other choice would be to go by Destindeterre first. Then we might be able to get more information and I have a better shot of hitting the southern point from there. Also, assuming that the dot that seems to be Destindeterre isn't just there as a point of reference, we might find out more about these lizards."
Taylen waits patiently for the others to decide.

OOC-edited an and to of because I typed it wrong. Edit number two-edited do to read to. I need to watch my typing.

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: Taylen ]

"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-13-2002 09:15:44 PM
Saeessira smiles, and looks up to Ara...

This here, there is some...writing...on this tooth, but I can't read it...can you?

Sae holds the tooth up to Ara

Reyolen
Wanders too much for a custom title
posted 03-14-2002 01:23:15 PM
ic: "As I said before, going to Destindeterre first might prove more help then hurt or discomfort. They're not as informed as some cities, but they keep up. We could rest, restock, and get information all on the way to our destination. And if some of you are nervous of cities, don't worry too much, because Destindeterre isn't quite like the human settlements around here. It's more down to nature, for sure. That is an excellent choice, Taylen, I think." Silvan states. "As for the tooth, I know quite a bit of languages myself, so you may wish me to take a look." He says to the daysprite as he moves over by her to look at the tooth.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-14-2002 03:07:10 PM
Reyolen

The little winged girl hands Ara a loop of string, adorned with four large pointed teeth and one small bird. The loop, when hung loosely, is close to a foot across, and might be a few inches longer if not for the teeth holding it in a narrow triangle. The largest of the four teeth has several rough markings on the inside curve.

The markings themselves appear to be etched in crude Draconic, and run at all angles. You can make out words such as "Deepwater", "Tidebreak", and "Blackcove", each of which is accompanied by a number.

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-14-2002 03:20:11 PM
Ara kneels down beside the little winged girl, and peers at the markings on the large tooth. For a moment she doesn't speak, but tilts her head to one side or the other several times. Then, she begins to read single words from the necklace. "Shadowswamp, eleven. Dryway, four. Mountainpass, six. Eastforest, fourteen. Silvan, does this make any sense to you?" she asks, turning to glance at the robed elf on Saeessira's other side.
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 03-14-2002 04:28:43 PM
Drakkenclaw opens his eyes, stands slowly, and reaches into his bag to produce the small pouch of teeth he collected earlier.

"Found this in the woods nearby. More teeth."

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-14-2002 04:34:38 PM
Ive never heard of any of those places...but maybe that belonged to one of the lizardmen that was found here, maybe it was some sort of "plan" for them?
Reyolen
posted 03-14-2002 04:45:56 PM
ic: "Hmm, could be. It could also be code names for any of their bases. I have no actual knowledge of these names or any places or 'plan' they could mean. More teeth? Is there any writing on them?" Silvan puts down his rapier gently and then takes and looks at the new teeth Drak brought, searching for writing or any clues.
Drakkenmaw
posted 03-14-2002 05:15:02 PM
Drakkenclaw allows some of the teeth to be taken from the bag, before reaching in and examining some himself.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-14-2002 05:31:41 PM
Reyolen

The teeth in Drakkenclaw's possession are smaller than those the winged girl showed you. They are hardly larger than human teeth, though they are pointed, like the teeth of a wolf or other elf-sized carnivore. The teeth do not appear to have any writing on them, though each has a small groove in the front edge.

Drakkenmaw

What you hold in your hand are small, sharp teeth, much like those in your own mouth. However, most teeth that you know of don't have a groove along the front. Some serpents have grooves along the backs of their teeth, but this particular structure does not appear natural.

Reyolen
posted 03-14-2002 06:28:35 PM
ic: "Hmm, these have no writing, and they appear to be just teeth to me." Silvan states as he puts the ones he was examining in the bag, picks up his rapier, and turns back to Ara and the daysprite. "I suppose we won't even know for sure what they're for until we get more clues. I say we move on, unless someone else has something they think is important?"
NPC
Pancake
posted 03-14-2002 06:51:40 PM
"You've got teeth too?" Ara asks initially, then frowns when she finds out they're just the plain old teeth she'd tossed aside earlier. "I thought I got rid of those. Hmm..." she looks back and forth between Drakkenclaw and the little winged girl. "Hey, Drakken, step over here a moment and have a look at this," she smiles, gesturing for the lizardman to join her and the others. She pronounces 'Drakken' flatly, making the 'a' sound almost like an 'o'.
Drakkenmaw
posted 03-14-2002 07:37:58 PM
Drakkenclaw looks mildly surprised by the use of him name, before walking over to the half-elf and bowing slightly.

"I am honored. What do you wish?"

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-14-2002 07:45:40 PM
Ara points at the necklace in the little winged girl's hands, with the bird perched on it. "It has Draconic on it. Maybe you can tell us what all these names and numbers are?"
Drakkenmaw
posted 03-14-2002 08:15:10 PM
The lizardman nods, then turns to the daysprite and crouches down on his legs. He doesn't even seem to care about the bird or his proximity to its owner, but instead leans in inches close to examine the teeth and their markings.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-14-2002 08:22:13 PM
Drakkenmaw

You can read a variety of names an numbers on the surface of the tooth, all etched in crude Draconic. None of them strike any sort of familiar chord. However, the necklace itself does appear quite familiar. With each of the caravans that had passed through your home, one of the group had worn a similar necklace. Typically it belonged to the largest of the group. You also saw one on the lizardman you had fought during your journey here. It was always worn around the neck, with the teeth pointed down and inward towards the chest.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-14-2002 11:47:57 PM
looks to the Lizardman...

Sooooo...do you know anything more about this necklace?

She then chuckles...

I was thinking, it may make a nice belt...

Drakkenmaw
posted 03-15-2002 04:03:53 PM
"Do not. That is the mark of a slaver. I have seen it before, too often."
Reyolen
posted 03-15-2002 04:11:10 PM
ic: "Slavers?! So they meant to turn Ara, the dwarf, and I into slaves?! How.....pitiful. I had expected some greater purpose for us, or at least myself. Whoever ordered these lizardmen to capture me is REALLY going to get it now, for the sake of my dignity. Me, a slave? Hmph." Silvan comments, looking toward the lizardman.

[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: Reyolen ]

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-16-2002 07:11:09 PM
Ara rolls her eyes, "You don't remember anything from last night, do you, Silvan?" she asks bluntly, turning to face the robed elf. "I mean, it wouldn't exactly be too hard to figure out, not even considering the fact that I, um, reminded you rather loudly. Then there's our latenight discussion around the campfire. Do you even remember that? Those spells must take up a lot of room in that head of yours to leave so little for everything else you need to know."

"Anyway," the half-elven girl shrugs, and turns to look at the lizardman, then the winged girl, "I suppose I could just tell it over again, if nobody minds that is. Most of you were asleep the first time around."

Drakkenmaw
posted 03-16-2002 11:06:49 PM
Drakkenclaw nods swiftly at the statement, before turning back to the necklace and it's holder.

"May I have the teeth?"

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-16-2002 11:39:58 PM
Taylen eyeballs the sun "If we plan to travel much today we might want to decide where exactly to go next and head out before it gets much later."
Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
posted 03-17-2002 07:08:59 AM
ic: Silvan states to Ara, "Ah, but now I have two sources of information, Ara. Two different sources have less reason to both lie or both not know. In my....business it is good to not trust anything unless it is reliable. Taylen, that sounds like a good idea, but we need to be in agreement. As I said, for the moment, the direction is where ever the rest of you go, so decide amongst yourselves."
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-17-2002 10:25:45 AM
Saeessira listens, hears what the necklace means...

Sure, you can have it...

Saeessira then holds the necklace up to Drakkenclaw, for him to take.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-17-2002 11:23:20 AM
Everyone

The sun has now risen well into midmorning. The day, so far, has been quiet, though not hauntingly so. Wild animals have returned to their homes, and a few morning birds sing from hidden perches in the nearby trees. The day is bright, and the evening chill has long since left you. Most of you have already packed what supplies you have left, leaving little else to do here that could not be done just as easily somewhere else.

Falaanla

As you hold the necklace up for the lizardman, Ithar chirps once, then hops off his toothy perch onto the lizardman's nose. "Ooh, what big shiny eyes you have," the little bird comments, with a tone of fascination.

Drakkenmaw

After you mention where you recall the necklace from, the little bird that was perched on it now hops up onto your nose, making you go a bit cross-eyed. Once you refocus, you notice the little winged girl offering you the necklace, with the string from her small open palm.

Taylen

Any destination you might choose, whether it be Destindeterre, Terranada, Vista, or the mysterious spot on the half-human woman's crude map, would take about two days to reach. You are a few hours' walk south of the normal trade routes, and could always simply return to the woods, where you have already spent the past few days searching for Freya's mysterious hero. You already know the degree of your traveling companion's disdain for urban settings.

Aanile

The meats you hung out have had a little time to dry. While it would take a while longer (or at least a decent fire) to dry them out further, some of the strips would be reasonably portable if you wrapped them in cloth.

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-17-2002 04:37:38 PM
After considering Taylen's statement for a moment, the half-elven girl shrugs, "Well, alright, I guess I can tell it while we walk. As for where to go, well, I thought we voted on that before... though I suppose it really depends on whoever is leading the way."
Drakkenmaw
posted 03-17-2002 05:41:28 PM
Drakkenclaw takes the necklace slowly, puts it in his bag, and then bows lightly. Then he points at the bird resting on his head.

"This is yours, I assume."

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-17-2002 06:14:26 PM
Frey only sighs out, a slight growl can be heard if anyone listened clearly enough. She tries her best to wrap up any piece of meat that would travel well enough. "Strrrangerrrs..." She mutters to herself, listen to the robed elf, and red headed half breed bicker.
Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-18-2002 07:54:08 PM
Taylen thinks on the half-elf's words and nods "Right then. I'm heading towards Destindeterre anyone who wishes to follow me is welcome to. If not the trade routes are north of here I'm sure you can find a city from there."
Taylen heads north out of the camp slowly allowing the others to catch up if they wish
Taylen Ashenbow
Reyolen
posted 03-19-2002 03:25:28 PM
ic: Silvan, first making a quick check to see if he got everything, heads after the leather clad elf, then matches pace with him about 5 feet behind him.

"Finally we've started moving. I thought we'd never go anywhere. I do hope we get to the city soon, I need a wash and a new set of clothing quite badly. Perhaps I will buy an outfit more suited for travel, to wear for the time being. I wonder how many of these fools will actually come?" Silvan thinks to himself, then looks back to check.

[ 03-19-2002: Message edited by: Reyolen ]

Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 03-19-2002 05:43:44 PM
Khazmon picks his axes up, and looks around. Looks like they're finally getting somewhere... But are they splitting up?

Hmm...

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: