EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Chapter One: In Soranil's Wake
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-04-2002 08:02:42 PM
ooc:
Normally I'd insert a dramatic correction about how Silvan can't be in two places at once. However, since the website is down for a few hours (and the overhead perspective of the camp is down with it), I will compensate as appropriate. For purposes of Reyolen's post prior to this one, he is recalling the map from memory.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-04-2002 08:45:05 PM
ooc:
Addendum: The game's website is back up. We at the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation apologize for the inconvenience. Share and enjoy!

Down time: March 4th 2002, from 9:15PM to 11:15PM EST

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-06-2002 12:33:20 PM
Frey thought for a moment, still unsure if she trusted these people enough to tell about her people's most beloved heros.

"He.. frrees the capturrred, and masterrred many fighting techniques." She managed out in common again. "I rrreconize the way these lizarrrd men has been killed." She keeps a measured watch over everyone there.

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-07-2002 04:38:39 PM
"Hey, I think we've got this map figured out," Ara calls over to Silvan. "What you all talking about over there?" Once again, the red-haired woman rolls up the parchment, and slips it back in its protective case. She wanders over to Silvan and Freya, with a curious expression, a skip in her step, and a quirky smile.
Reyolen
Wanders too much for a custom title
posted 03-07-2002 04:48:40 PM
ic: Silvan hears the half breed and responds, "This one was just talking about who freed us." He said nodding in Freya's direction. "Some sort of hero to her people. Anyway, I heard some of what you two were saying, and I can determine from logical thinking that the third dot is probably where we would need to go to find some answers. Of course I would prefer to resupply ourselves first, whatever the group decides..." Silvan had to slightly restrain his voice when he said the last part. He moved closer to the half elf, not a long move, just enough to not have to speak loudly, and waited for her replay.
NPC
Pancake
posted 03-07-2002 07:56:07 PM
"Supplies?" Ara asks innocently, then snickers, "Well, duh. We do have a supply cart right here, ya know. I want to find out what that letter's all about. What about you folks. I may not know much about the woods, but I figure that this can't exactly be normal. That reminds me," the redheaded woman turns to Freya, "who is this hero of yours, and how can we thank him for dealing with these... creatures. Um, no offense," she adds, glancing over her shoulder at Drakkenclaw.
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 03-08-2002 08:13:40 AM
Drakkenclaw briefly opens his eyes, which were closed in thought. "They acted not as creatures. They do not deserve such respect as that."

The lizardman then walks near to the edge of the group conversing, and sits cross-legged with his back against the over-turned cage. He closes his eyes once more.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-08-2002 10:37:49 AM
Well, I say we go to town and get supplies.

Not because WE need em or anything, but...

dances around, while saying

I don't think Mr Prissy Elfie boy would be quiet if he didnt get more supplies.

I mean, clothes are FAR more important than finding out what the heck is goin on...

Sae laughs

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Reyolen
posted 03-08-2002 03:42:51 PM
Ic: "You're beginning to annoy me, daysprite. I believe that is your lot in life, to bother people. Ah, at least you agree with me, for whatever reason." Silvan says and then turns to Ara, "There may be a supply cart here, but I don't believe I found anything useful when I looked. I doubt whatever these lizardmen ate would be suitable food for myself. As long as I am protected and fed, I will come with you all." "For the time being, you can have your way, morons." Silvan thought with a bit of satisfaction. "I will eventually find how to make the mules move in the direction of my choosing, and then I will have whatever fool it was who dragged me from my home. They will pay, and perhaps I may even profit from their pain."
Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-08-2002 07:27:55 PM
Taylen listens a bit "I myself would prefer to avoid cities as much as possible, but if you insist on restocking in one I will go and wait outside unless I need more arrows."
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-08-2002 08:42:05 PM
Frey scowls at the idea of going anywere near strangers cities. "I.. rrr.. will stay herre." She points to the meat she has drying. "Plenty of supplies to be had.. herre"
NPC
Pancake
posted 03-09-2002 05:42:50 AM
Ara listens around to the opinions of all her new companions. During this whole time, she takes no notice of the little bird in her hair. After a moment, she speaks up, "How about we put this to committee? Whoever wants to go to the Elven city for supplies, hop on one foot."
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-09-2002 06:06:34 AM
ooc:
Ruvyen... Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvvyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen...

For those who expect my NPCs to guide you, I think you should know that they generally won't. They do not have an abnormally extensive knowledge of the world, nor of events transpiring within it, and will be played realistically. The message board environment allows me the liberty of taking the story along whichever path you choose. I see no need to funnel you all down a particular path.

Ruvyen

In your hesitation, your grip slips from the axe handle. You find yourself falling... falling... falling... falling... still falling... wow this is a long fall... hey, here come the trees!

You awaken with a start, lying flat on your back, on the edge of a huddle of people. None of them seem to focus any particular attention on you, however. The only words you hear when you awaken are, "...hop on one foot."

Willias

After spending time in meditation, you feel whole again. The energies for your spells have been gathered, and you are ready to face whatever danger may arise. As you open your eyes, however, the scene does not appear to be one of battle. Nearly the entire group from the campsite have gathered around the charred remains of last night's fire, and seem to be talking about where to go from here. The lizardman whom you were so worried about now sits with its back to the overturned wagon, apparently asleep.

Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 03-09-2002 12:50:19 PM
Khazmon gets up. What happened? He was carrying an axe, and flying, then he lost his grip and fell...

He looks around. Where is he? After that fall... Did he live? Wait... What happened to his equipment?

Khazmon quickly looked down, hoping to find his armour on and his axes nearby.

Willias
Pancake
posted 03-09-2002 01:14:57 PM
Aust stands up and stretches, and then bends over and begins to pack up his possesions, rolling up his bedroll and then tying it to his pack and picks his pack up with one arm and flings it over his shoulder, he then picks up his staff and spellbook and walks over to the remains to of the campfire and where everyone is sitting. He puts down his gear slowly and sits down waiting for someone to speak so he knows what everyone is talking about.

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Willias ]

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-09-2002 02:01:44 PM
ooc:
Points of note:
>> Khazmon is now awake.
>> Not everyone is sitting.
Ruvyen

You are wearing your armor, and your axes, plain as they are, lie loosely across your ankles.

Everyone

The dwarf sits up with a start, his armor jingling slightly.

Reyolen
posted 03-09-2002 03:34:46 PM
ic: Silvan hears the half breed's comment and says, "Arg. I most certainly am not subjecting myself to that, and since this group is far too uncivilized, it appears by the voiced opinions of many of its members, to enter any cities, I will follow whatever the majority decide. Though it would be nice to see my old home, or even check on my recent home in Vista. For all I know those lizard's stole everything after they captured me, but as I said before, whatever you all decide." Then, seeing the dwarf wake up, he says, "Ah, dwarf, welcome back. Perhaps you can be of some use now, for you certainly weren't any before. Where do you vote to go?"

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Reyolen ]

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-09-2002 10:15:37 PM
Saeessira glares at Silvan...

Uncivilized? BAH!

She then mutters... Why dont ya go back home, and stay there...

Reyolen
posted 03-09-2002 10:36:10 PM
ic: "Ah, I've offended you, have I? The truth is, I would rather be home, but since it's not on the way, and I might as well see the fools who had me captured get repaid in full, I might as well go that way, where ever they may be." Silvan states simply.
Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-09-2002 11:53:35 PM
Taylen moves around to stand beside Frey "I'm not uncivilized. I just have little use for cities."

Taylens whispers to Frey "It's a long journey to the elvish city. Why don't you come along and you can stay outside like when we go to cities and I go in to restock."

Taylen Ashenbow
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-10-2002 06:11:12 AM
OOC: Whoops. Guess I misread what you said Ford, too late to edit that post now though. I'm still sitting down though.

IC: Aust looks up at Silvan. "Uncivilized am I?" Aust laughs. "Sorry, but those whom are uncivilized out here are more likely to survive than those who are." Aust says. Aust looks over to Khazmon and grins and shakes his head. "I am not going to ever try to wake that dwarf in a dangerous situation again...." he thinks.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-10-2002 07:26:48 AM
Falaanla

"Hop on foot. Funfun!" The bird begins to bob up and down in the half-elf's red hair, "Bouncy, bouncy bouncy bouncy, whee!" Ithar takes off quickly, and flies up to a branch in the nearby trees. "Looky looky come looky!"

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-10-2002 07:32:26 AM
"I guess it's settled then," the red-haired girl smiles, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "We take what we need from right here, and we find out what in the Gods' names is... hey! Get outta there!" With a quick motion, she reaches up, and swats at the air above her hair.

Then, after a moment, she sighs, "Oh, forget it. What use is a disguise if even the birds can tell it's fake?" Slipping her fingers underneath the fiery locks covering either of her ears, she lifts the red wig off her head, revealing the tightly drawn and braided blonde hair beneath. Ara looks at it and frowns, then shakes it out a few times and slips it into her pack. "I suppose nobody out here will recognize me anyhow."

Reyolen
posted 03-10-2002 09:00:59 AM
ic: Silvan is puzzled by this disguise and asks, "Why do you wear a disguise anyway, Ara? Are you well known somewhere or hold some sort of higher importance?" Then, as he usually does, he answers the next question at hand without waiting for an answer, "As for the ones who I said were 'uncivilized', I mean that in no offensive way, and Aust I was certainly not refering to you. I just mean to say that if you do not wish to enter a city, and then you don't have to."
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 03-10-2002 10:14:12 AM
Drakkenclaw flips an eye open quickly, before slowly closing it again.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-10-2002 10:26:47 AM
Sae chuckles at Ithar, then hears him ask her to come up to the tree...

She then takes flight, flying up to see just what it is Ithar wanted...

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-10-2002 01:51:28 PM
ooc:
Such bickering... shame on you! *snicker*
Falaanla

You find Ithar perched on a long branch, with a gold coin in its beak. Many more coins, roughly fifty in all, lie perfectly balanced in a line along the branch, extending out from the trunk, and following the branch's contours. Ithar puts the last coin down in line with the others.

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-10-2002 02:59:37 PM
"Silvan," Ara responds once Silvan's statement is made, "you have the long-term retention of a sewer rat. Perhaps you would've been better off without that book of yours. It might have left some room in your narrow skull for something more practical." Her arms are folded across her chest, and a wry smile adorns her face. Without her gaudy red wig, her equally gaudy outfit appears somewhat out of place.
Reyolen
posted 03-10-2002 03:13:20 PM
ic: "Hmph, keep your secrets if you wish. If my mannerisms upset you in any way, I am most humbly sorry." Silvan's voice had a sarcastic sound to it, as it often does when he is speaking to someone he is not particularly fond of at the moment, like just about the entire party. "Is everyone set on a destination or what? We are about as organized as a pack of monkeys. I say let's go to Destindeterre and restock. Perhaps we will even get more information about this 'map'. We should be going soon, however, because these lizardmen will eventually be missed. Oh, I suppose it will be quite a hassle to speak to you all without your names. If you haven't heard it before, I am Silvan Koras. Aside from Aust and Ara, I have no idea who you all are. Indulge me if you please."
Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-10-2002 03:47:24 PM
ooc:
[GM] Post modified by player's request. [/GM]
Taylen goes to collect the rest of his stuff "I'm Taylen Ashenbow"
Taylen slings his quiver across his back and rolls up the bedroll. He attaches it to his pack and slides that on over his quiver and picks up his bow.
Moving back beside Frey, the leather-clad elf announces to his companions, both new and old, "You should collect your stuff too. I don't think they are gonna stand around here much longer."

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

Taylen Ashenbow
Ruvie's Alt
posted 03-10-2002 04:05:37 PM
Khazmon kind of half-pays attention to the party as he retrieves his axes. Hmm... Looks like everything's here... Armour... Axes... Pile of stuff... It feels like he's missing something...

"You should collect your stuff..." That's what he's missing! Something to carry his pile of stuff in.

Khazmon quickly surveys the scene for any available backpacks.

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-10-2002 04:57:29 PM
Ara turns as she hears Taylen's suggestion. "That's not a bad idea," she says sweetly, and walks over to her bedroll, "I think I'll take you up on it." Taking a moment, she gathers her bedroll into a tight, round wad, and lashes it to the straps of what now serves her as a shoulder bag.

Once that task is done, the half-elven woman picks up her shortbow, slings it over her shoulder, and announces, "Alright, I'm ready!"

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-10-2002 05:13:04 PM
Ruvyen

Most members of the group carry either a backpack or a shoulder bag, but liberating their equipment wouldn't exactly be civilized. The only spare bag you can find is the same large shoulder bag you saw in the supply wagon last night. Now, its strap sticks out from under a large pile of lizardman meat.

Reyolen
posted 03-10-2002 05:47:31 PM
ic: Silvan wordlessly picks up his pack and his rapier and makes sure he has his spellbook and that everything else he can see throughout the camp that's his is in his possession. If he sees nothing else, he shuts his pack, straps it on his pack, and announces, "I am ready to leave as well."
Ruvie's Alt
posted 03-10-2002 06:23:41 PM
"Well, if that shoulder bag over there's empty, it'll do," Khazmon thinks to himself as he walks over to it. He looks inside the bag to see its contents, if any.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-10-2002 07:56:33 PM
Ruvyen

Once you pull the shoulder bag loose from beneath the pile of meat, you find only a single item inside. A fine strand, beaded with four large, pointed teeth, lies at the very bottom of the bag. With or without this, there is more than enough room for your supplies.

The bag does, however, have a disadvantage. It was apparently made for someone much taller than you. Even with the strap slung over your shoulder and across your chest, the bag still hangs down to your knees.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-10-2002 08:16:16 PM
Frey is still hesitent on going anywere. After the robed asked for her name, she only gruffed out "Frrreya." Still not liking the tone of his voice. Already having her staff in hand, she moves off to were her bag is, and picks it up. "I said, no.. going to strrrangerrs city..."
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-10-2002 11:29:53 PM
Sae smiles at Ithar, as she thinks...out loud for her and ithar, but silent to the others:

"Ithar, Nice collection of coins!"

Sae then notices everyone packing up to go...

"Ithar, we should probably pack up too...Ill go ahead and collect these coins, and we will be going... I can already tell, this is going to be fun..."

Sae smiles as she collects all the coins, and then flies to the ground...

Soooooo...just what did we decide to do?

Sae smiles...

NPC
Pancake
posted 03-11-2002 04:25:06 PM
"We're going to find out where these lizardmen were taking us," Ara answers proudly, with a grin on her face. "It was a unanimous vote. If you want to come, you're welcome to join us, but you'd best pack up your sleeping bag first." The half-elven woman then turns to Taylen, and bats her lashes, "Good mister Ashenbow, since you know the way, would you care to lead?" She holds the scroll case up, pointing it lazily in the leather-clad elf's direction.
Ruvie's Alt
posted 03-11-2002 05:05:16 PM
Khazmon reaches into the shoulder bag, pulls out the necklace, and throws that into the woods, too.

Hmm... Now, about this shoulderbag... Bah! No time to think now! He needs to get his stuff and get ready to go! He doesn't want to get left behind. Khazmon decides to deal with any problems later.

"One second," he quickly says to the group, as he quickly runs over to his pile and begins stuffing everything in his bag.

ooc: Does Khazmon still have his axes handy, or are they lying on the ground?

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: