EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Assassin's Creed comes out tomorrow
Skaw
posted 11-12-2007 09:25:25 PM
Well, places like Best Buy, Toys R Us, and Walmart have the benefit of having huge storage capacity. You might not see many on the floor at those, but it also isn't likely going to be the only copies they have in stock.

The Walmart by my house has been advertising it pretty heavily.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 11-12-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-12-2007 09:27:49 PM
quote:
Skaw's fortune cookie read:
Well, places like Best Buy and Toys R Us have the benefit of having huge storage capacity. You might not see many on the floor at those, but it also isn't likely going to be the only copies they have in stock.

I understand that, but how many copies are Harmonix even gonna make? I mean like I said, the production values have to be much higher with all the equipment than a regular game. The demand won't be AS high because it's so expensive, but I do not think it'll be in regular stock anywhere for the holiday season.

Skaw
posted 11-12-2007 09:33:08 PM
idk man.

p.s. how's naruto?

Skaw fucked around with this message on 11-12-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-12-2007 09:36:56 PM
EA/MTV did say there was going to be a shortage of stock
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-12-2007 09:46:49 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Kegwen said this:
EA/MTV did say there was going to be a shortage of stock

I don't know if I trust that or Activision's claim of the same thing just because they said it. I think there might be a shortage of the more popular GH3 bundles (360, possibly Wii), but not an overwhelming one. Rock Band I see not being available though.

Naruto has amazing concepts, and fun gameplay, but it was ridiculously lacking. It was like 5 hours and I did half of the sidequests. Most of the extra stuff is basically collecting useless crap. The fighting system in the game is pretty much a joke. It's way too easy to get out of regular attacks, but really easy to button mash the crap out of everything. It's a very poorly made system.

The game itself is very fun and has a lot of awesome concepts. I really hope they get it together with Rise of a Ninja 2 or whatever the next one will eventually be called. I enjoyed messing around with it, but I wouldn't say it warrants anything beyond a rental and that's only for hardcore fans or 10 year olds. (same thing basically)

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 11-12-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Greenlit
posted 11-12-2007 10:09:44 PM
Don't matter how far we have to drive, we will have Rock Band on release day. Or midnight, if we deem it necessary.

Two hours with a demo kit in Best Buy today reaffirmed this conviction.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 11-12-2007 11:01:16 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

Naruto has amazing concepts, and fun gameplay, but it was ridiculously lacking. It was like 5 hours and I did half of the sidequests. Most of the extra stuff is basically collecting useless crap. The fighting system in the game is pretty much a joke. It's way too easy to get out of regular attacks, but really easy to button mash the crap out of everything. It's a very poorly made system.

The game itself is very fun and has a lot of awesome concepts. I really hope they get it together with Rise of a Ninja 2 or whatever the next one will eventually be called. I enjoyed messing around with it, but I wouldn't say it warrants anything beyond a rental and that's only for hardcore fans or 10 year olds. (same thing basically)

That sucks, I had played the import a few times and thought it was a great game.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-12-2007 11:22:03 PM
quote:
Vallo stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
That sucks, I had played the import a few times and thought it was a great game.

It is a good game. But it leaves a lot to be desired and needs a lot of fine tuning for it to be what reviewers are saying about it.

I usually am pretty lenient on my games, especially when it's an anime game from a series I enjoy. I had my hopes up from IGN's review and was let down.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-13-2007 11:53:37 AM
1up gave it a 70. They, like the higher reviews before them, cited it being repetitive after a while blah blah. Read the review. Going off of scores alone is dumb. Always read the text:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164319

Otherwise, though, every other review is pretty glowing, even when they cite the same issues of repetition. I recommend watching the Gametrailers review video in addition to the 1UP text review.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-13-2007 02:42:16 PM
I saw the GameTrailers review. It seemed fairly honest to me and I'm pretty alright with the standard "very good, but one or two unignorable flaws" a la the Witcher and everything else that's wrong with Mortious.

Watch this space for a ParceReview and I will tell you why your genitals sway the way they do.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-13-2007 03:07:01 PM
It'll be a rental. Definitely.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-14-2007 07:14:11 PM
So, I've been playing this for a few hours now. I'm in the city of Damascus so far, saving citizens, getting information, etc. etc. So, let me tell you a bit about my impressions.

1. Graphics: Orgasm-inducing, breath-taking, sperm-taking. These are some of the beautiful sceneries and people renditions I've seen yet. The colors are beautiful, the scenery is incredible, everything is rendered in such a way as to make you pee yourself.

1a. Atmosphere: This is so awesome. There are people chattering away, babbling here and there. There are merchants hawking, haggling, there are doomsayers and propagandists crying out to anyone who will listen, there are people beating up thieves, citizens begging for help, Templars muttering in French, all sorts of crazy shit.

2. The Twist: Have you figured it out yet? Shall I tell you? Very well, the twist is retarded.

But what purpose does it play in the game, you ask? It has a few interactive cutscenes that slow down the action and acts as if the in-game menu were an in-game menu...in real life.

Imagine if you awoke each day and, instead of seeing the ceiling of your room, you saw a "LOAD FILE?" screen and an HUD. Then imagine if a robotic female voice occasionally offered you advice as you progressed about your business. Then imagine that that robot voice occasionally halted and you were forced to run around a laboratory and overhear conversations between a girl and an ugly guy and comment on your room's various apparatus as you waited to do something more interesting.

The twist is distracting at best. If it hasn't already broke the deal for you, it probably won't.

Combat: Kind of gay, really. It's sort of like GTA's combat, except with swords. The quick way to kill is through assassinating people, not through fighting them in the streets. There can be some pretty cinematic moments, though. It's not that bad, really.

It's funny, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for Crusades-era Jerusalem, but was turned off by GTA's combat. Har har har, what a Middle Eastern weeaboo.

Chase Scenes: Not that great so far, but I haven't caused any severe trouble yet.

Voice Acting: 90% really awesome. Sort of like how Jade Empire had English and their fake Chinese language, this has people chattering away in Arabic and in English. For the most part, the accents are flawless and delightful. Occasionally, you get someone who is a British-born Indian working her way through college voicing a random villager. That accounts for .01% of the dealbreaking.

The other 9.99% of it comes from the fact that your hero is Kevin Costner. Yes, amidst all this glorious immersion, your character sounds exactly like a 20-something bartender from Illinois. Perhaps the twist, then, was created because they couldn't get a good voice actor for the protagonist.

Nevertheless, if you can hold your breath on the fact that Altair Ibn Al-Asir sounds like the dude you order your pizza from, you should be fine.

All in all, it's a pretty hot game. I'm glad I bought it, if only for the gorgeous scenery. I'm not sure I'll finish it once Mass Effect comes out in six more days, though.

More reviews updated as warranted.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 11-15-2007 04:13:59 AM
If you want a fun chase scene go to the starting city and punch one of the guards right outside the door to the castle with the training yard in it, Then RUN for the horses outside of the city.

I do this after every mission and it hasn't gotten old for me yet.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-15-2007 05:13:50 AM
This is off my christmas list then.

Mass Effect and the EVE expansion will likely keep me entertained until well into the Christmas and New Year period anyway.

Skaw
posted 11-15-2007 06:04:41 AM
Combat is more(read: exactly) like Prince of Persia, not GTA. The only difference is that you can actually choose your target, instead of swing wildly at whatever comes closest/in your combo line of destruction.

Short Blade kills are the best. THE BEST. Stab a dude in the foot, then as he bends down whining in agony, give him a nice second smile across the throat.

A shame theres only 5 varieties of dispatch for each weapon. Sans the hidden blade, to which there are only two.

Greenlit
posted 11-15-2007 09:06:14 AM
Anyone who doesn't love this game is a fun-hater.

The only bad things I can say about it are Altair's voice acting, and that it follows the convention of starting you off with a hundred badass skills and then stripping them away from you to make you earn them back over the course of the game.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-15-2007 09:25:36 AM
The music is fantastic, too. Like Prince of Persia except without all the RAD PUNK BE4TZ
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-15-2007 12:50:17 PM
Do you just learn different skills instead of just swinging the sword around with the X button all the time? And you can fight outside of assassinations with the short blade? I'm really lost on the combat in this, but it is a fun game. Someone direct me in the right way. I'm like an hour and a half in.
Skaw
posted 11-15-2007 02:52:07 PM
You can change weapons mid-combat without breaking off target, Gains.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-15-2007 02:55:20 PM
Did anyone else ride into Damascus on a horse that was a different color than the one you zoned with?
Skaw
posted 11-15-2007 02:57:51 PM
No, but I did do a galloping dismount as I crossed the line, and it put me next to a new horse.
Greenlit
posted 11-15-2007 06:31:42 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Do you just learn different skills instead of just swinging the sword around with the X button all the time? And you can fight outside of assassinations with the short blade? I'm really lost on the combat in this, but it is a fun game. Someone direct me in the right way. I'm like an hour and a half in.

Once you get your Counter abilities back again there isn't much reason to actually swing your sword ever again. Countering is just so awesome.

Skaw
posted 11-15-2007 07:56:20 PM
Pretty much. Especially so after you get Throwing Knives too. Just throw/assassinate as many targets as possible, then those that manage to engage you, Counter Kill.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-15-2007 08:51:16 PM
Once you get more than like 3 health and counter, you really can't be stopped, can you?
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-15-2007 08:58:00 PM
From what I understand you basically have to treat counters like the Bioshock wrench. Sure it's all powerful, but you'll probably have less fun if that's all you do the entire time.
Skaw
posted 11-15-2007 08:59:24 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about John Romero:
From what I understand you basically have to treat counters like the Bioshock wrench. Sure it's all powerful, but you'll probably have less fun if that's all you do the entire time.

It has it's flaws. Strong attacks usually throw me off, cause a majority of the time, guards use quick, and when I'm trying to watch 7 or 9 targets, I'm usually expecting a Quick attack.

You're also really open to Grabs and Throws until you get Grab Break.

It's also faster to just do Combo kills than wait to counter.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 11-15-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-15-2007 09:42:48 PM
Shit is heating up in Acre, I tell you what.

Rooftop snipers, beggars and six to twelve guards per citizen rescue.

I gotta tell you, I'm really digging the "hide in plain sight" style. As opposed to Tenchu's style of assassinating people throughout identical pagodas, this is some serious assassin shit, man.

Fuck these Europeans, though. Not at all fun to listen to.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 11-15-2007 10:44:22 PM
How come noone has talked about hidden blade counters?

Seriously, whip out the hidden blade and time your counters with it, they're FANTASTIC.

Greenlit
posted 11-15-2007 11:05:29 PM
I just started using them recently, they're pretty hardcore.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-16-2007 10:03:39 AM
On the 5th assassination now and things are...getting repetitive. I hope they mix it up sometime soon in here.

Also, it's gay as shit that I didn't know you had to wait around Lucy before a dialogue button popped up. I missed like 2 of the conversations and can't get that 20g now.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-16-2007 10:38:44 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough said:
On the 5th assassination now and things are...getting repetitive.

From what I hear, get used to it.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 11-16-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-16-2007 01:23:33 PM
Fortunately, it's the only complaint I have about the game. Repetition in games isn't exactly a new thing though. When you get down to it, pretty much every game has a certain amount of repetition. It's not like things just jump genres randomly per game. I still love the game.
Zair
The Imp
posted 11-16-2007 02:24:26 PM
I'm enjoying Persona 3 a lot, and a few hours in the game becomes pretty much the definition of repitition. The combat is pretty fun for a jrpg though, and the high school sim is integrated pretty well.

Glad to hear Assassin's Creed is good. Maybe it'll be a few bucks off on Black Friday (probably not).

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-17-2007 10:16:50 PM
Wow, that ending was total blueballs.

They explained jack and shit.

Ending sucked. Game rocked.

Tier
posted 11-17-2007 10:25:04 PM
nm

Asha'man fucked around with this message on 11-17-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-18-2007 12:11:25 AM
This game is really good so far. I wish I were as awesome as the people who say it's too easy. I just had a huge chase where I couldn't lose them so I figured I'd be better off killing a few. After a huge brawl on a rooftop I came out on top with like 3 health bars left, but for some reason I was still flashing red. A few seconds later a Templar scales the ladder and kicks my ass oh no

Repetition isn't really bothering me yet. I'm on the mission after the one with the 3 leaders.

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 11-18-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-18-2007 12:18:53 AM
The first 3 are kinda hard because you're getting used to it. The middle 3 are easy as fuck because you have so much health and the guards aren't psychos yet. The last 3 are tricky but by now you're so good at everything, that you're pretty much unstoppable.

The informer missions in the last 3 stages are easily the toughest things in the game. Stealth kill 5 guards in 4 minutes was pretty tricky.

Greenlit
posted 11-18-2007 12:36:26 AM
I'd been wearing the fuck out of my 360 with Assassin's Creed until I started playing CoD4 multiplayer tonight which will probably carry me until Kane & Lynch tomorrow and Rock Band from Tuesday til Eternity so I don't know when the fuck I'm going to finish all of these games
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-18-2007 12:45:52 AM
You're buying Kane and Lynch? What the fuck, I thought you hated mediocre games.
Greenlit
posted 11-18-2007 05:22:47 PM
Co-op can usually make a mediocre game worthwhile.

But as I have learned it cannot help Kane and Lynch, since it's fucking local split-screen co-op even on PC. No LAN co-op at all.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: