EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Re: Taxes
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-09-2019 11:42:15 AM
Thought I'd break even with the new tax law(lower tax rate, but fewer deductions)--instead, wound up paying $2000 more. Fuckyouverymuch, Donald J. Trump.

Also, you apparently can't reply to old topics.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 02-10-2019 10:17:40 PM
I paid about 10k more this year than last year, yet my return was almost the same. So, right there with you.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-12-2019 08:28:01 PM
My refund was within $5 of last year's. And my withheld taxes turned out to be $4000 less than last year's, even though my income was a bit higher this year.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-14-2019 06:12:14 PM
Work almost exclusively in cash and keep it out of the bank. Then record a loss.

Fuck you, tax man.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 02-15-2019 11:09:30 AM
My refund's looking like it's only be about a third of what it has historically been; but it's hard to say how much of that is due to tax changes because I've got both sizable capex on my passthrough LLC taking a pretty large chunk out of my taxable income, and a big 1099-B saddling me with cap gains adding tax burden because I shifted all my investments to recession-proof them last year.

I miss being able to just file a 1040-EZ.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-30-2019 11:16:08 AM
We used to get about $2k back in our annual refund. This year owe $4k.

I checked a paycheck from Nov 2017 against one from Nov 2018, and compared the withholdings. In 2018, income tax withholding was $10 less, social security was $10 more, and state tax was $10 more, per week. So I'm rather skeptical at this point of the people who claim the change in refund is due to lower withholding.

Decided to adjust my payroll deductions for this year. According to a worksheet that came with the form, I need zero exemptions and $75 per week extra withholding to get the same result as I used to get from 1 exemption and no extra withholding. To me that says my taxes are around $80-100 more per week than they were two years ago.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: