EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Star Trek: Discovery
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-30-2017 04:18:00 PM
TOS. TNG. DS9. VOY. ENT. STD.

S. T. D.

It's about as good as having one, too.

The Orville is more Star Trek than Star Trek now.

God it's so shit.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-01-2017 09:30:41 AM
I liked it.

I like The Orville too.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Tarquinn
posted 10-01-2017 09:40:48 AM
You gotta have faith.
Tarquinn
posted 10-01-2017 09:41:40 AM
Of the heart.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 10-01-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-01-2017 12:09:35 PM
It just doesn't feel like Trek to me. More like a re-skinned BSG.

Maybe I'm just being too picky. I am interested in seeing where they take it now, as pilots are rarely as good as the actual series. Series 1 will be make or break.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-02-2017 08:04:26 AM
Eh, the Orville scratches that sci-fi itch nicely, and it really is better Trek than Trek has been in more than a decade. Seth MacFarlane may be a bit of a cock, but he is a sincere Trek fan, and the Orville is a sincere Trek pastiche.

Plus, I don't have to pay 10 goddamn dollars a goddamn month for the privilege of watching the Orville.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tarquinn
posted 10-02-2017 05:12:18 PM
Having watched the first episode after what was basically the prologue, I think I'll refer to it as Star Trek Dark now. I like it quite a lot more now, even though it feels tonally totally different from all the other Star Trek shows. Good on them for trying something different.

Edit: Although Michael needs an urgent charisma hypospray injection stat.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 10-02-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-03-2017 02:35:59 AM
Michael is the most unlikable protagonist I've ever watched.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 10-07-2017 02:53:21 PM
If you accept the fact that this isn't Star Trek and consider a it new scifi series set in space, is it still worth watching?

I need something to fill my geekdom other than the last season of GoT and the next season of The Expanse.

diadem fucked around with this message on 10-07-2017 at 02:54 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-07-2017 06:33:37 PM
I hated The Expanse, too.

Those actors. Oh my fucking god. Space crews are all male models with terrible acting skills in the future, apparently.

Tarquinn
posted 10-09-2017 10:25:45 AM
quote:
diadem had this to say about Duck Tales:
If you accept the fact that this isn't Star Trek and consider a it new scifi series set in space, is it still worth watching?

I need something to fill my geekdom other than the last season of GoT and the next season of The Expanse.

Yeah, absolutely. And I think it is still Trek, just not TNG.

Also, the Expanse is awesome.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-09-2017 07:08:25 PM
Just watched episode 4 of STD and I feel like I lost some brain cells.

It feels like a "made for Sci-Fi channel" movie.

The characters are all bumbling idiots, the captain mumbles and looks about as invested as a chicken sandwich, the CGI is worse than a b-movie, the action is a messy jumble of colour ala Star Wars EP3 opening.

I don't know how many more eps I can stand before I give up. Oh, please please get better. I want to believe.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-10-2017 04:46:24 AM
Chatting with a friend on Skype while watching.

Mortious: "next time on" "previously on" has pissed me off already. Do people have four second memories?
merf: you're asking this about cbs viewers. the answer is yes.
Mortious: "next time on" pisses me off SO MUCH in modern TV. STOP SPOILING IT YOU FUCKS I CAN WAIT A FUCKING WEEK.
Mortious: spore drive is incredibly confusing (fucking SPORES act as some kind of iconian gateway?? They're everywhere in the universe?? The same species??? What????) and is so dumb it actually started killing my brain cells
Mortious: "oh it's Prime Universe" then why does everything look like JJ Trek including the warp effects
Mortious: oh for fucks sake
Mortious: anyway gonna finish the washing up then slog through the 4th ep
[LATER]
Mortious: oh god the writing and pacing in this is SO BAD
Mortious: back to ep4 I go, half way through this shit storm
merf: Yay
Mortious: "make sure her death is not in vain" er well she was the fucking moron who unlocked the monsters cage and shot it in the face despite Michael saying not to
merf: nono
merf: fuck her warnings
merf: why not actually you know
merf: look into the fucking cage before you open it
merf: oh shit its not sedated
merf: WOOPS
merf: that was one of the highlights for sure
Mortious: This is like it's written by a trained ape, or a baboon just smashing a typewriter with his fists
merf: hahah
Mortious: the music is SO BAD and completely wrong for every scene
merf: Isn't that last episode the most amazing thing ever
Mortious: the action is boring
Mortious: the CGI is worse than voyager
merf: what you didn't enjoy the action of..err.. whats her face.. who opened the container for no reason
merf: and then the great tactical genius at the end there?
merf: not sure how far along you are
Mortious: I just saw the ship disappear (the ship spinning like a cartoon when jumping was so dumb it genuinely made me laugh out loud) and leave some torpedoes behind that destroyed the Klingon birds of prey that don't look anything like birds of prey
Mortious: and where the fuck did that monster come from in the first place, they just found it wandering the lower decks of the Glen, what???
merf: yes
Mortious: THIS IS SO STUPID
merf: Yes
Mortious: I can't get over how boring the action is, how misplaced the music tracks are, how bad the CGI is
merf: I think the tartigrade will turn out to be an actual tartigrade who was transformed by the spores
merf: I think
Mortious: the Asian captain who died, thank fucking god she died, she had such a thick accent I could barely understand what the fuck she was saying and looked so bored in every scene like she couldn't wait to get out of the studio
Mortious: WHY IS EVERY CONSOLE AND CONVERSATION A BAD CGI HOLOGRAM
Mortious: When Voyager was still using consoles with the LCARS interface. The technology progression seems completely backward
Mortious: Hey guys let's use incredibly advanced holographic technology then drop it completely for absolutely no reason ten years later okay
Mortious: The klingon ships are ugly as hell and look like someone mixed different coloured silly putty together in a ball before smushing it with their fist and CGI'ing the result
Mortious: ARGH
Mortious: some camera angles are solid and grounded
Mortious: some are Dutch angle
Mortious: some are shakey cam
Mortious: MAKE UP YOUR GOD DAMN MIND

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-10-2017 08:02:38 AM
Sounds like I would be pissed, had I shelled out for that streaming service.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tarquinn
posted 10-10-2017 12:09:08 PM
Sounds like you want to be mad.
Tarquinn
posted 10-10-2017 01:05:20 PM

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 10-10-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-10-2017 03:48:13 PM
quote:
Karnaj said:
Sounds like I would be pissed, had I shelled out for that streaming service.

That still had advert breaks.

Tarq, I wanted to like it, I really really did! I gave it a chance! I watched four episodes, desperately trying to ignore the god-awful writing, acting, CGI, etc but I just couldn't. It reminds me too much of the Star Wars prequels, with flashy effects trying to distract you from the fact it feels like it was written by a four year old.

And to be honest I think it'll be remembered the same way, as a high production value dud.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-18-2017 07:45:34 AM
Episode Five "Choose Your Pain" was ok.

Good Points
Good character development.
No ridiculous flashy space battles.
Klingons actually acting like Klingons.
Characters finally acting like real people and not high school jocks.

Bad Points
Tartigrade magically re-hydrating in the vacuum of space with no access to water.
Shoe-horned gay characters to please SJW era Hollywood.

It's still not great, but it's slooooowly getting better.

Tarquinn
posted 10-19-2017 12:02:27 PM
I dislike almost everything about the Klingons, but everything else is still really enjoyable. If they continue to work on that small "horror" angle from the end of the last episode, this might be amazing.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 10-19-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Tarquinn
posted 10-23-2017 12:37:09 PM
Disco has been renewed for a second season.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 10-23-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-24-2017 09:20:39 AM
WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-24-2017 11:47:26 AM
Macguffin drive. Apparently.

Beer.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 10-24-2017 02:24:19 PM
I haven't watched Discover but I love The Orville so much. I was so pleasantly surprised by it, I was expecting it to be more slapstick-y like Family Guy.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-24-2017 03:14:07 PM
Latest episode of Discovery I actually enjoyed a bit. I'm as surprised as you are.

Hope this trend keeps up.

Things I am looking forward to:
* Seeing how the injection of alien DNA is really effecting the chief engineer. Something fucky going on there, definitely.
* Finding out why the captain is so damned interested in Michael.
* Finding out why the captain is acting so strangely.

I'm hoping it'll be a Section 31 link since the Discovery registration is NCC-1031.

We know the spore drive was never adopted full scale by the Federation so it's got to be some kind of black ops back stabbing thing going on.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 10-24-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Tarquinn
posted 10-25-2017 01:24:56 PM
I think it is getting better with each episode. The different characters get room to breathe, the protagonist is thawing and I really enjoy the visuals, spinning ship et al.

quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mortious wrote:

I'm hoping it'll be a Section 31 link since the Discovery registration is NCC-1031.

Well... regarding that... Lorca's back scars were a triangle and an I. So three lines and one line.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 10-25-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Tarquinn
posted 11-02-2017 03:40:45 PM
The Orville is getting a second season too.

Good.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-03-2017 04:54:27 AM
I really enjoyed the last episode of Orville. The upvote/downvote one.

Very TNG.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-03-2017 08:45:30 AM
I was gonna say more TOSish since the "there's soooo many planets that some of them are just like Earth, but a little different" explanation was a go-to for TOS. Still, I enjoyed it and I'm glad it's getting a second season. Maybe they'll spruce up the CGI a bit. The practical effects, thus far, have been pretty strong.

Beer.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-04-2017 08:52:25 AM
Last episode of Discovery was more like how Star Trek is supposed to be, it's getting slightly better. Massive plot holes but eh I can overlook that for the fact it was very ST.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 11-26-2017 11:31:34 PM
Haven't been watching ST Discovery. Why are sections of the saucer spinning while others are stationary? If it was an artificial gravity thing, that'd leave large chunks of the ship in zero G, with really awkward transition points. Seems like it'd need a trillion ball bearings (or some other complete waste of technology) to avoid jamming with catastrophic results.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-27-2017 02:57:22 PM
Watched until the end of the "break" in season one, after episode nine.

Final Verdict: It's okay. Not great. Klingons are shit. Acting is getting better as they become accustomed to their roles. CGI quality is terrible, worse than Voyager, like when the ship spins around on its axis to perform evasive manoeuvres in episode nine.. looks like a child did the CGI and made me genuinely laugh out loud.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: