EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So what's everyone doing for a living these days
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 01-31-2016 03:38:35 PM
Yeah, well, I was fifteen (maybe fourteen, considering we used to have those old boards back then) when I started at EC and now I'm 31. I have literally been a board member for more than half of my life.

How's that make you feel, gramps?

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-01-2016 10:44:10 AM
quote:
Drysart startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
50 used to sound so old but that's becoming increasingly less so every passing year.

No kidding! I don't feel half a century old...I just keep reminding myself that "50 is the new 30" like the news keeps saying.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-02-2016 02:00:19 PM
I find the ease with which one gets out of bed to be an excellent marker of one's age. Two years ago before I started exercising, I was all achy and gimpy basically until I had showered. Now I can pop out of bed like I'm in my 20s again, or something.

Of course, if I lay off exercise for a week or two for whatever reason, the aches and gimpiness return. So now I'm stuck exercising, not to be in amazing shape or anything, but rather to slow my deterioration as much as possible.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 02-09-2016 04:12:22 PM
quote:
How.... Karnaj.... uughhhhhh:
I find the ease with which one gets out of bed to be an excellent marker of one's age. Two years ago before I started exercising, I was all achy and gimpy basically until I had showered. Now I can pop out of bed like I'm in my 20s again, or something.

Of course, if I lay off exercise for a week or two for whatever reason, the aches and gimpiness return. So now I'm stuck exercising, not to be in amazing shape or anything, but rather to slow my deterioration as much as possible.

I run half marathons for fun and and self-loathing now.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-10-2016 02:10:50 PM
I like carbs too much to contemplate running a half marathon. Also, I'm in my 30s.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Monica
posted 02-10-2016 05:02:35 PM
I'll be 29 next month.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-11-2016 03:38:48 AM
quote:
Karnaj said:
I like carbs too much to contemplate running a half marathon. Also, I'm in my 30s.

I love carbs too.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-11-2016 05:49:56 AM
But what about chokes, Mort?
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-11-2016 08:39:35 AM
quote:
Monica screamed this from the crapper:
I'll be 29 next month.

Well, you have a leg up, since you're already exercising. If you were to stop for a while (say, a year), then start up again, you'd discover that being 30+ suuuuucks if you don't exercise regularly.

Really, it boils down to this: exercising is awful and miserable, but as you get older, the alternative is worse.

Beer.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 02-11-2016 09:43:41 AM
Feels weird to randomly stop by here on a whim and see everyone still doing their thing.

I'm turning 35 this year, been married for a 3 in April, just bought our first house this year as well.

Working for iHeartMedia as a Digital Content Director for a few markets for the past few years, pays crap, but it's the most fun I've had working ever. Then my friend and I decided to make youtube videos, and that's been fun too, since all we are doing is playing video games now.

I feel strangely less adult than ever though. And I love it.

It took a long time of figuring out myself and what it is in life. But I am finally having fun, real honest fun, that I don't have to lie about and say I'm "having a good time" anymore.

It's pretty awesome.

ALSO, don't let Bajah fool you. He is a master train conductor, and trains follow him like lost puppies wherever he goes

Monica
posted 02-11-2016 11:06:08 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Brahmin Bloodlust said:
Feels weird to randomly stop by here on a whim and see everyone still doing their thing.

I'm turning 35 this year, been married for a 3 in April, just bought our first house this year as well.

Working for iHeartMedia as a Digital Content Director for a few markets for the past few years, pays crap, but it's the most fun I've had working ever. Then my friend and I decided to make youtube videos, and that's been fun too, since all we are doing is playing video games now.

I feel strangely less adult than ever though. And I love it.

It took a long time of figuring out myself and what it is in life. But I am finally having fun, real honest fun, that I don't have to lie about and say I'm "having a good time" anymore.

It's pretty awesome.

ALSO, don't let Bajah fool you. He is a master train conductor, and trains follow him like lost puppies wherever he goes

That's funny, we do stuff with iHeartMedia sometimes (though I don't know a lot of the details involved - my boss handles it.)

Razor-cat
Pancake
posted 02-11-2016 10:29:28 PM
I work at an Astronomical Observatory for a public university as the only guy there. I take care of all of the telescopes, instruments and the associated facilities.
I managed to get a wife and a daughter. Been married for 7 years, working in my job for 8. Own a home and am looking at property as rental property. Just about finished paying off my student loans. Only have notes on the house (3 separate notes, one primary, one for a new roof and one for placing new windows and doors.

daughter had major heart problems and almost lost her at least 4 times to different issues. She's now in pre-school and is a happy 3yo.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-12-2016 04:31:13 AM
quote:
Brahmin Bloodlust said:
I'm turning 35 this year, been married for a 3 in April, just bought our first house this year as well

I always thought you were way older than me. Turns out I'm 1 year older.

Huh.

I envy the US house market. Ridiculous prices in the UK mean I'll probably be a homeowner by the time I'm 45 or may just be in the rental market forever.

Monica
posted 02-12-2016 02:19:08 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Captain Planet:

Huh.

I envy the US house market. Ridiculous prices in the UK mean I'll probably be a homeowner by the time I'm 45 or may just be in the rental market forever.

It depends a lot on where you are. Companies keep moving to the Dallas area, which of course is great for growth, but it's causing home prices to surge like crazy and we don't know if we're going to be able to purchase anything by the time we're ready to.

Azakias
posted 02-12-2016 02:42:04 PM
quote:
Monica got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
It depends a lot on where you are. Companies keep moving to the Dallas area, which of course is great for growth, but it's causing home prices to surge like crazy and we don't know if we're going to be able to purchase anything by the time we're ready to.

That's the truth. I bought my home in 2008 for $120k, and now it appraises at $156k. A month ago the general appraisal was $152. And I'm on the northwest side of Fort Worth, in suburbia. (I don't fit in here. Send help.)

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-12-2016 02:46:17 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm still upside down by like 30 grand on my mortgage. Also, those house prices.

Beer.

nem-x
posted 02-12-2016 09:12:08 PM
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 02-12-2016 09:15:36 PM
quote:
Mortious spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Huh.

Funny how that always seems to happen on boards and in person.

As for the house market, everyone else said, it totally depends on where you live.

New Jersey sucks ass for prices, we lucked out with a 2 bed 2 bath 1589 sq ft house with a finished basement... for 280k after some negotiation.

This same house in the midwest is around 100k.

We got extremely lucky too on it, most other houses in the similar size and 2b/2br configuration were 350 - 500k.

And property taxes here in NJ are stupid too, considering we only have .2 acres and our home price, it's close to 7300.

The interest rates we got locked in though are pretty sexy though.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 02-13-2016 01:16:42 PM
quote:
Drysart's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
50 used to sound so old but that's becoming increasingly less so every passing year.

I hit 30 this year. I feel old so i have no idea how that makes you all feel.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-13-2016 01:50:42 PM
quote:
Karnaj startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:

People running or training for distance running should be eating high-carb diets. Carbs are the fuel for endurance athletes. If you're doing a lot of aerobic exercise on a low-carb diet, your body essentially ends up burning your muscles for fuel.

Razor-cat
Pancake
posted 02-14-2016 09:26:39 PM
quote:
Azakias wrote this stupid crap:
That's the truth. I bought my home in 2008 for $120k, and now it appraises at $156k. A month ago the general appraisal was $152. And I'm on the northwest side of Fort Worth, in suburbia. (I don't fit in here. Send help.)

I'm in the county part of So. Cal and got our house for $240k, it's up to ~320k. Home prices in the city are between 750k to 3m on avg.

LA's insane. we're looking at purchasing some rental property up there, and the building we're looking at is 850k for 2 units and rents looking to be 2500/mo + utils. We looked at a place across from a pot doc and dispensery and it was asking 1.3 mil, and it was dumpy with rents closer to 3k.

It's massively cheaper out east.

Azakias
posted 02-15-2016 02:10:47 AM
I wouldn't buy property in Cali for anything. Your prices are crazy.

For reference, my hone is on 6500 sqft lot. Its a 2000 sqft house, two stories, 3 bed 2.5 bath and two car garage.

I had a navy buddy come visit a couple years ago. He lives in Richmond, Via and does personnel management for Target at corporate level.apparently, a house like mine in his neighborhood would have a price tag of over a million, and that's at the low end, "fixer upper" price.

There's plenty to dislike about my area, but housing and land is cheap.

Through, I'm planning on moving to Seattle when I get this thing paid off in 8 years.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-15-2016 08:04:38 AM
That's the thing with Texas in general. Even in the large cities we like our elbow room. When you see apartments, most are only 2 story or 3 with the 2nd/3rd being a single, split-level, apartment. The places you start seeing 3 story apartments in are generally the really old areas (closer to downtown, generally). I don't recall seeing anything higher than 3 stories in Dallas, but I've heard of 5th floor Walk Ups being somewhat common out east.

Went to Fairfax, VA for a work trip a few years back... All the houses I saw would give me claustrophobia... 1500 sqft but 3 stories because each floor is basically a room and a half. And of course they want like 600k for a place like that with a postage stamp back yard, no front yard and maybe a carport. The people I was sent out there to work with were shocked that I had a 2br/2ba apartment that was almost 1k sqft.... "How can you afford that?" "Uh... it's like $900 a month.. not that bad." "WHAT?!? How is it that cheap?"

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Monica
posted 02-15-2016 11:56:06 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Bloodsage said:
People running or training for distance running should be eating high-carb diets. Carbs are the fuel for endurance athletes. If you're doing a lot of aerobic exercise on a low-carb diet, your body essentially ends up burning your muscles for fuel.

I was thinking of telling him to "eat pasta, run fastah" but that works, too.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-16-2016 07:58:34 AM
I really meant pizza and beer.

Beer.

Monica
posted 02-16-2016 03:31:35 PM
When I lived in Oklahoma, one of the running stores did a social run on Thursday nights with free beer after you got back from the run. The two aren't necessarily incompatible. Lots of runners drink. And to be honest, "gaining marathon weight" is also pretty common, because people start to excuse everything they eat because, "Oh, well I ran 10 miles today, I can eat an entire pizza."
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-16-2016 09:42:23 PM
Realistically, I'd need to drop between 30 and 40 pounds to run a half marathon. Well, to be able to run the whole time. And dropping that kind of weight in a reasonable time frame (say, a pound a week), would mean A) cutting 500 calories a day from my diet, or B) burning an extra 500 calories a day through exercise. Doing B) would probably wreck my knees before long, so I'd have to bid adieu to the empty calories--the proverbial pizza and beer.

In any case, I'm more than happy to be able to just run 3-4 miles without too much difficulty, and having enough cardio not to gas out running up a couple flights of stairs.

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-17-2016 09:50:47 AM
Hey, a lot of the current literature says beer is a good after-workout recovery drink!

Monica
posted 02-17-2016 03:13:13 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Tron:
Realistically, I'd need to drop between 30 and 40 pounds to run a half marathon. Well, to be able to run the whole time. And dropping that kind of weight in a reasonable time frame (say, a pound a week), would mean A) cutting 500 calories a day from my diet, or B) burning an extra 500 calories a day through exercise. Doing B) would probably wreck my knees before long, so I'd have to bid adieu to the empty calories--the proverbial pizza and beer.

In any case, I'm more than happy to be able to just run 3-4 miles without too much difficulty, and having enough cardio not to gas out running up a couple flights of stairs.

There are plenty of fat runners. Promise.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 02-19-2016 09:45:51 PM
I work over at Double Fine as one of their IT guys, primarily. Working on Unity in my spare time cause brain can't stop won't stop.

It's pretty much the best. I was in this and it was just kind of an above average day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrPBCh-xDsQ

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 02-23-2016 07:13:05 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Ferret:
I work over at Double Fine as one of their IT guys, primarily. Working on Unity in my spare time cause brain can't stop won't stop.

It's pretty much the best. I was in this and it was just kind of an above average day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrPBCh-xDsQ

Were you the one playing Spyro the whole time?

I totally understand the can't stop won't stop reality of the world. Between work and personal projects I generally sleep about 3 - 5 hours a night depending on what I'm doing.

I am trying like hell to get to the point where personal projects take over completely and can sustain me so I don't have to do work projects.

Then I can be where I want to be.

But, that might be in another year or so, just got to keep pushing forward every day on it.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 02-23-2016 08:32:47 PM
quote:
Brahmin Bloodlust had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Were you the one playing Spyro the whole time?

I totally understand the can't stop won't stop reality of the world. Between work and personal projects I generally sleep about 3 - 5 hours a night depending on what I'm doing.

I am trying like hell to get to the point where personal projects take over completely and can sustain me so I don't have to do work projects.

Then I can be where I want to be.

But, that might be in another year or so, just got to keep pushing forward every day on it.

Yup, normally they have someone passionate about the game play it but Tim finds it hard to talk and play at the same time so I drive for him on occasion.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 02-24-2016 10:54:39 PM
quote:
Ferret was listening to Cher while typing:
I work over at Double Fine as one of their IT guys, primarily.

You son of a bitch. That sounds like a dream job.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 04-14-2016 02:02:02 PM
I ghost write chick smut, and shoot guns. Yes, chick smut. It's not soft core. It barely counts as porn. Women are disgusting.

And I shoot guns. And write about that. Because when you spend your days writing thinly veiled incestuous rape fantasies that involve zombies, St. Bernards, or outlandishly endowed aliens, you absolutely must have a manly side job you can talk about in public.

Women are nasty.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Peter
Pancake
posted 05-04-2016 04:11:18 AM
Lets say About 6-7 Years ago, I grabbed a bus ticket and threw a bunch of my stuff in a bag proceed west from the Jersey shore to the mountains of my birth, landed slightly North of them in Helena Mt. Should the opportunity ever present itself in your life to take that sort of bus trip, pass, hard pass, contemplate trading favors to passing truckers. I landed a very mindless, mildly soul crushing, yet very overpaying retail drone job and kinda sorted some shit and fucked around a bit before actually applying my self. Got promoted twice into leadership out of the blue. A bit over a year I was weighing school or settling down out, but then the most shit year in my life started, which has ended unfortunately to the sound of Taps sending my father off forever a few months ago.

At the Moment, Have a New job, still retail, but still overly well paid for the area, Plus as RTM clerk no dealing with guests and I break a ton of stuff all day long. I'll be starting to take some classes in fall since chief benefit of new Job is set hours(This is an amazing work/life balance thing). With longer term goals of either landing a state Job Or making the move to Boseman of Missoula for schooling.

Also Get live under very pretty sky most days
[Invalid image tag]

[Invalid image tag]

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 05-05-2016 03:54:54 AM
And now no longer with Verizon. They kicked off the "Emergency Work Action" shit because of the strikes up north the Wed before my final Friday. Hearing about the further fallout from guys who got sent out... oof, I'm glad I got out.

Got a pay increase to move to a security company. Once I actually get used to all the new shit it should be interesting... Still a Unix Server Monkey, but now I'm in an Escalation position (Level 3) instead of Customer Engagement (Level 1).

Wonder how long until I have to write up a root-cause of "Mr. Customer, you're an idiot"....

Kermitov3
Pancake
posted 05-20-2016 02:24:40 PM
Hey

Got some of that good old fashioned nostalgia and stopped in...

Spent 6 years as a mechanic, 6 years as Director of Safety for an aerial survey company, and now I'm a 2nd year First Officer on the Barbie Fun Jet (Canadair CRJ-200/700/900) for SkyWest Airlines.

Occasionally play Minecraft but that's about it these days.

Glad to see y'all still alive.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 08-21-2016 04:13:41 PM
quote:
Structural Kermitov3ity is failing, captain!
Got some of that good old fashioned nostalgia and stopped in...
This.

Still working as an IT Systems Admin, though I changed jobs 4.5 years ago to a better paying position at a company that's more stable and a surprising fit to my interests. They make ice removal and temperature control systems for airplanes and helicopters.

When I'd been there a few months, I had to help an engineer set up some hardware he'd purchased. During the process, I started my usual routine of making sure he knew how to recognize a USB port, because I found out at my previous job just how many people not only fail to recognize a USB port, but don't know how to match a rectangular plug to a rectangular hole. In response, the engineer told me that he was part of the team that originally designed the USB port (i.e. the hardware & software standards). I was pleasantly surprised. That incident symbolized the difference in competence level of the average user between my previous job and my current one.

Married seven years now. Bought a house four years ago.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 08-21-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Azakias
posted 08-22-2016 06:57:48 PM
Oooh, updateness on my situation.

Lost my job in May, unemployed and stressed for three months, then had three companies offer me jobs last week. Accepted a medical field engineer position paying $20/hour more than my last job, and am still in talks with another company that is putting together a position for me. Current job is a contract-to-permanent position, so I don't feel bad about continuing to look further afield so quickly.

All my kids are now in school. Beennhappily married for 10(!) years.

Monica
posted 08-23-2016 02:20:57 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Azakias:
Oooh, updateness on my situation.

Lost my job in May, unemployed and stressed for three months, then had three companies offer me jobs last week. Accepted a medical field engineer position paying $20/hour more than my last job, and am still in talks with another company that is putting together a position for me. Current job is a contract-to-permanent position, so I don't feel bad about continuing to look further afield so quickly.

All my kids are now in school. Beennhappily married for 10(!) years.

10 whole years! My second anniversary is here in like a month and some change.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: