EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Merry Christmas
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-25-2014 06:44:59 AM
Because it's not been posted yet and some poor bugger had to.

I remember when we posted our hauls for each year. Heh.

I think my haul this year will be a bottle of booze and more crippling debt. Yay, adulthood!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-25-2014 08:11:30 AM
Happy merry to everyone from the land of beer and waffles!
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-25-2014 10:54:22 PM
Loots:

Cowboy Bebop CE Bluray/DVD set.
Paid off car early.

Got a gift card from my mom, the pooch got some nifty dog biscuits.

Sometime next month I'll wind up paying off (or damn close to it) all my credit cards. Maybe later next year I'll wind up with a house.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 12-26-2014 09:10:17 AM
Merry Christmas from Sweden! Spending the holidays with my girlfriend's family this year, and Swedish Christmas is pretty similar to the US version.

The biggest difference is that they celebrate on Christmas eve, and relax Christmas day.

Well, the old rogues relax, us 20-somethings all hit the club Christmas day to meet friends and dance while we get an exactly appropriate amount of wasted.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-26-2014 07:56:09 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Happy merry to everyone from the land of beer and waffles!

Merry happy from the true land of beer. I grant you waffles and fries, though.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2014 03:38:48 AM
quote:
Tarquinn startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
Merry happy from the true land of beer. I grant you waffles and fries, though.

I grant the superiority of German beer--the Belgian stuff is all dark and malt and fruit juice.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-27-2014 01:01:55 PM
I remember the old days of loot threads. This year pales in comparison to many of those. I got the GF a Dyson vacuum cleaner back in July as a bday/christmas thing (she suggested it). She's been wanting one for ages since the vacuum cleaner I had before she moved in was pretty fucking awful. She got me some sheet strap things because my fucking sheets slide everywhere. And is getting a new blanket when the stores get them in stock locally. Mainly because those are things I needed. That was pretty much Christmas.

Though I did buy myself a new 15 Inch Macbook Pro, with an iPad Air 2 and called that my Christmas present to myself. Yay adult Christmas.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 12-27-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2014 01:53:44 PM
Yep, welcome to being old.

We pretty much bailed on Christmas this year since the move to Belgium and the dog's illness were so expensive. At least he's on the mend--just went over 53kg this week, so only about 15 or so to go to get back to his healthy weight.

But I did get a BMW Motorrad Navigator V GPS for my motorcycle. Turns out the IV I had originally is locked to North American maps and even if you update, can't give verbal directions in Europe. And a motorcycle GPS w/o verbal directions is a dangerous distraction....

I think our real Christmas will be an off-road motorcycle tour of Romania in June. Should be epic; I'll post Dracula pics!

Oh, and Dysons are awesome. Wouldn't have anything else.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-27-2014 01:55:15 PM
Oh, and Tarquinn...you need to get on FaceBook. I think we're finally settled and may had your way for a visit in the Spring.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-27-2014 02:09:56 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about John Romero:
Oh, and Dysons are awesome. Wouldn't have anything else.

Oh God yes. It's worlds better than the vacuum cleaner I had before, and that one wasn't bad. But the Dyson is much easier to empty the container on and does a much better job of getting everything clean. I can definitely see why they go for the price they do. Almost makes me wonder if those Dyson fans are worth the cost, since I never thought a vacuum could be worth the cost those Dysons go for. But I've heard they're also extremely durable which, given the life of many vacuums, makes it worthwhile.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-27-2014 11:28:13 PM
Speaking from an engineering standpoint, Dysons are much like iPhones, not technically the best but marketed extremely well and are the easiest to maintain and use.

The actual suction power is worse than a Henry hoover.

The best ones are those which compact dust into little bails. But hey I still love my Henry hoover and no bags required there either.

Yes we're discussing vacuum cleaners on a gaming forum.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-28-2014 05:31:38 AM
I don't necessarily disagree, but ease of use and solid form factor are pretty big selling points. Heck, if ability to send/receive a signal was all we should care about in a phone, we'll all be carrying around backpack satellite receivers.

So while some people may only care about the suction, I think a pleasing, easy-to-use form is important.

We're still talking about vacuum cleaners, right?

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-28-2014 10:11:59 PM
quote:
*yaaaaaawn* Sorry, Bloodsage, I drifted off while you were saying:
I don't necessarily disagree, but ease of use and solid form factor are pretty big selling points. Heck, if ability to send/receive a signal was all we should care about in a phone, we'll all be carrying around backpack satellite receivers.

So while some people may only care about the suction, I think a pleasing, easy-to-use form is important.

Given the size of some cell phones some people are still carrying around the backpack mounted transceiver...

I'm still waiting for someone to make a cage containing a miniature black hole. Figure if I buy that I'll never have to buy another vacuum cleaner again.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-28-2014 11:27:07 PM
quote:
Bloodsage thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

I'm in full agreement here, too. As an iPhone 6+ user, I realize my phone doesn't have the wide range of capabilities that an Android phone may have. But I also don't do anything that needs to take advantage of that power, nor am I concerned with tinkering with something to make it do what I want. Both phones have their place in the mobile ecosystem.

And on vacuums, this was pretty much a "Girlfriend asked for it and has really wanted it for awhile" purchase. Dysons have proven to be solid and do what they're supposed to do easily, without getting in the way of the operator. As far as I'm concerned, that's mission accomplished. I'm sure that there are better quality vacuums out there, but hey.

And yes. We're discussing vacuums on a gaming forum. We're all old now, we can't help it. Christmas past was all about games. Now it's all about "Oh, we got that thing we wanted because we asked for it, and that's about it, yay Christmas"

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-29-2014 04:15:43 AM
You know, I finally got rid of my 4+ in favor of the 6+, and while it's all kinds of schwoopy, I'm not sure I like it overall as a phone. It's too big to put a case on without also investing in a wheelbarrow, and every time I take it out of its sleeve, I worry about dropping it because it's just that slightly too big to use comfortably with one hand. My wife got the 6, and that seems the better angle as a phone...but I was seduced by the extra pixel density, etc.

Overall, though, while I'm not into Apple computing, I have to say they've completely figured out the tablet thing.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-29-2014 06:10:28 AM
quote:
Bloodsage said:
it's just that slightly too big to use comfortably with one hand

Mortious fucked around with this message on 12-29-2014 at 06:11 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-29-2014 06:18:04 AM
Back on the topic of games, I got Dragon Age: Inquisition for PC off my old man because I didn't really need anything else other than cash.

I shouldn't be really surprised that it's a poor console port. Not bad, just poor. The PC optimisation is sub par and running your character around feels like you're manoeuvring a submarine, especially when you're trying to loot things off the ground or pick some herbs for a potion or whatnot. Add to that the constant crashing and micro-stuttering if you're an nVidia user and you certainly get a fun game..

They've promised to patch it and are doing a good job so far (onto patch 2.5 now) but it still needs major work. If anyone here was thinking about picking it up I'd suggest waiting until February which will give them time to get their fingers out their asses. Though I think it's on sale via Origin (which you are forced to use) right now so I'd probably buy it now and just wait for a decent patch.

FYI anyone with an nvidia card and directx crashing issues, roll back to driver 344.65 as it appears the most stable. You will still crash, mostly on the war map, but it's better.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 12-29-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-29-2014 09:53:09 AM
I'm sort of torn on DA:I. Played on XB1, so no crashing issues, but....

On the one hand, it's been a while since anyone made a game designed for a deep single player experience. 2014 (and beyond, unfortunately) seems to be the year of forced multiplayer in lieu of content. I was a little under 200 hours of gameplay when I finished, which is pretty good.

On the other other hand, the farther along in the game I got, the more it seemed to narrow, as if they spent a lot of time creating the basics and the beginning, but got rushed toward the end. About half the stuff in my inventory categorized as for crafting or potions seemed to have no use at all, as did a lot of the loot that sounded like it should be for something (all the left and right halves of lovers knots, for example).

Strangely, some of the creature encounters are tougher than the final boss. My party wasn't able to kill one particular dragon, but the final encounter was pretty much trivial...and there's not much to do after that.

Overall, a great game that could've been epic. I'll probably replay with a starting world more closely matching my decisions in the first two, and hope for additions. The overall plot is pretty ho-hum, but some of the character development is extremely well done.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-30-2015 03:58:35 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Oh, and Tarquinn...you need to get on FaceBook. I think we're finally settled and may had your way for a visit in the Spring.

Oh damn, I did not read that. There have been some complications of a private nature. Better use PMs or email, please.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-03-2015 12:15:31 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Tarquinn squealed:
Oh damn, I did not read that. There have been some complications of a private nature. Better use PMs or email, please.

Oops, sorry! My calendar is ridiculous anyway--I'll shoot you a note soon(ish).

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-13-2015 01:23:14 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Bloodsage said:
On the other other hand, the farther along in the game I got, the more it seemed to narrow, as if they spent a lot of time creating the basics and the beginning, but got rushed toward the end......

Isn't that mostly the Hallmark of Bioware? A lot of their RPGs start out seeming big and encompassing but midway through it start shrinking down, and the last part might as well drop you in a hallway with a big arrow pointing to the end.

Though I do like the DA:I a lot, And I haven't had any issue with it on the PS4....I was surprised at how much game play it does have as other modern RPG seem to be super short sequel machines or masochistically hard. DA:I was big enough to keep me occupied through the snow, and relaxing to play after work.

Also I did not really have a Christmas loot haul, but I worked and got a nice triple sized paycheck for it.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: