EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Holy shit! Carmack the CTO of Oculus!
diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-07-2013 11:40:25 AM
John Carmack is pretty much a man of the future. As the games of my childhood evolved with advent of scrolling, then a sprite based first person views, then the 2.5d environment of Doom, then the polygon graphics of quake, then the smooth graphics of Quake 3d, it was Carmack behind the technical breakthroughs of all of it.

Since then, the need for the innovation from a mind like his went to the background. There just isn't that much that's considered impossible anymore in the field of computer graphics. Sure, there are things that can impress the technical minded, but from an aesthetic perspective we finally began to breach the uncanny valley which doesn't leave much left to blow you away with your jaw on the floor (outside of maybe procedural generation and the like).

In fact, in the field of gaming, recently it's rare to see something truly innovative.

There are two notable exceptions to this. The Emotive showed a lot of promise but hasn't picked up traction - but the Rift just blew me away. It gave me a sense of this is something cool that I've never seen before, like there are still untapped realms that the gamers of tomorrow can experience that we can't - beyond the obvious linear progression of things.

It came as no big surprise that this morning's announcement from Oculus was something grand. One of the few modern gaming innovations to make me look and say "wow, that's amazing" just got the father of gaming technology innovation as its CTO.

John Carmack is the new CTO Oculus. The Rift makes me excited for the future of gaming, and it just got better.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
nem-x
posted 08-07-2013 11:44:10 AM
What has he done since quake
diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-07-2013 11:53:06 AM
I remember Doom especially because the negative impact it had on my academic life as a kid. This wasn't because I played too much - it's because it forced me to learn a lot of math that was a few years beyond my grade level to make mods for it.

Thanks to knowledge gained from a couple weeks of messing with doom a lot happened with my schooling. I ended up getting questions wrong because I took in technicalities I wasn't supposed to know about yet, so they weren't supposed to be taken into account. I then drifted for a while because I didn't have to study as I learned what I needed to know from Doom years before. I finally got a kick in the ass when the math passed that of doom and I need to readjust my lazy ass to start learning again because things were finally new.

Such an impact from a single game...

diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-07-2013 11:55:10 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on nem-x!
What has he done since quake

Well, that's the thing. Less and less became impossible. He continued to push the limits, but it didn't matter as much. From a technical standpoint, the curved arches in Quake 3 may be amazing but things have advanced so much from a visual standpoint it's not really as big an impact. We've got a man doing the impossible who really didn't have a challenge to face.

The Rift, in my eyes, is really the first true bit of innovation in a long, long time. It's hard to explain until you put one on.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-07-2013 12:01:32 PM
Carmack hasn't been relevant for almost one and a half decades, so let's dial back that premature praise a little bit.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-07-2013 01:38:52 PM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Carmack hasn't been relevant for almost one and a half decades, so let's dial back that premature praise a little bit.

I have the rift - I was a kickstater backer and own my own unit. It's everything as good as they say it is.

Tarquinn
posted 08-08-2013 02:17:15 AM
So thanks to the work of others, Carmack might become relevant again. Good for him.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 08-08-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Maradon!
posted 08-10-2013 02:39:32 PM
Legend has it that John Carmack sleeps only during full moons, and that he programmed his first Hello World on a computer made of paper.

The python programming language is based off a dream that John Carmack had while fucked up on Peyote during a spirit journey in the Arizona desert.

When John Carmack has an orgasm, he screams in Binary, and all his children are named after variables he once declared.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-14-2013 11:01:00 AM
Diadem, I put in money for a Rift a month ago, and it still hasn't been shipped yet. (Demand must be really high, should have ordered the kickstarter)

Tell me stories Diadem. Tell me how good it is!

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Maradon!
posted 08-15-2013 07:00:36 PM
I think I'll wait for a retail product (and drivers and support) before I plunk down cash, but I am ultra-omega excited about the OR. It has the ability to make PC gaming a much more distinct and immersive experience as compared to consoles.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-16-2013 03:48:31 AM
Boring brown shooter #421, new from EA, now in immersive VR!

You forget, the current game industry outside of indy games is a homogeneous mass of bland brown.

An Anklebiter
Pancake
posted 08-16-2013 12:16:50 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Captain Planet:
Boring brown shooter #421, new from EA, now in immersive VR!

You forget, the current game industry outside of indy games is a homogeneous mass of bland brown.

They want money. Trying new things is scary and not sure to give money!!!

Even Bioware is writing the same story over and over.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-16-2013 02:24:22 PM
I miss space shooters with good stories.

X-Universe? Get out. Shit story. Terrible voice acting.

Tarquinn
posted 08-16-2013 02:31:47 PM
quote:
Mortious's fortune cookie read:
I miss space shooters with good stories.

Star Citizen's Squadron 42, probably.

Maybe.

Hopefully.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 08-16-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Maradon!
posted 08-16-2013 07:17:43 PM
I don't play military shooters, so if there's been a boring brown trend I haven't noticed.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-16-2013 07:41:15 PM
edit: wrong thread, nothing to see here.

diadem fucked around with this message on 08-16-2013 at 07:59 PM.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-23-2013 10:41:50 AM
quote:
Rodent King had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Diadem, I put in money for a Rift a month ago, and it still hasn't been shipped yet. (Demand must be really high, should have ordered the kickstarter)

Tell me stories Diadem. Tell me how good it is!

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/08/23

diadem fucked around with this message on 08-23-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-23-2013 12:55:15 PM
The biggest draws to me so far has been the promise of Mirror's Edge/Skyrim/Tribes:Ascend/Mechwarrior nline with full 3D and immersion.

Then it hits me that we are still taking baby steps with this thing's development, and who knows what another 6 years will come up with?

That's when I feel giddy inside!

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: