EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: New Confuser
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-19-2013 05:54:29 PM
Sadly, the box I built in 2007 just isn't cutting the mustard these days. And, dammit, I need my mustard cut!

What's the latest chip architecture I should be looking at?

What's the state of play for video cards?

Is Win8 going to suck as hard as it looks, or is there a way to make it behave like Windows?

Should put the OS on an SSD and everything else on an external for storage?

Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 02-19-2013 07:27:52 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Bloodsage said:
Sadly, the box I built in 2007 just isn't cutting the mustard these days. And, dammit, I need my mustard cut!

What's the latest chip architecture I should be looking at?

What's the state of play for video cards?

Is Win8 going to suck as hard as it looks, or is there a way to make it behave like Windows?

Should put the OS on an SSD and everything else on an external for storage?

Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

For the price the best superbang for the buck is the Intel Core i7-3820, or if you're feeling froggy and want to hop up to a 6 core offering Intel Core i7-3930K for about $500 is the best for the price with generating the same power and benchmarks as it's big brother the i7-3970X (which is way overpriced)

Video Card I would say GeForce GTX 680 is well priced because the 690 came out and is about a grand but it is almost double the 680. AMD's offering with the Radeon 7970 isn't too bad either.

My opinions on computer stuff may be stupid or it may be good. Intel / AMD, it really doesn't matter anymore, but the numbers the intel/nvidia offerings are putting out are staggering, and are starting to justify their price differences.

Windows 8 is dumb there is a way to kind of make it look like windows 7, but it is bad and you will feel bad for using it and having it.

The increase in boot time was really nice when I did it, is it a necessity? I wouldn't say so, but it is a nice relaxing way to keep your OS running tip top.

If done correctly with the right wood, your bedpost can not only absorb flavor, but enhance the current flavor of any gum attached to it. Think of it like a cast iron pot and keeping it seasoned. That's the secret to making the flavor last over night.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-19-2013 11:39:24 PM
The person responsible for Windows 8 needs to die in a fire. It is truly that loathsome.
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-20-2013 01:58:24 AM
And nVidia announced TITAN so the 600 series is due for a price drop as the new cards start making it to market. It seems you can order systems from certain builders with the new card in it, but there hasn't been a card listed for sale as a discrete part yet.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-20-2013 07:08:25 AM
What about mobos? Anything specific I should look for/want, other than matching the chip I go with?

If I put Win7 on a new, mostly-top-of-the-line machine, am I holding back the hardware?

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-20-2013 08:00:25 AM
Which is the greater "evil", crippling the hardware or crippling the user?
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-20-2013 09:45:21 AM
There is nothing of consequence wrong with windows 8, and many things are improved from windows 7. It's got a new start menu. If you don't like it that badly, you can replace it with one of many off the shelf start menu programs. Wah, wah.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 02-20-2013 10:35:10 AM
quote:
Blindy. came out of the closet to say:
There is nothing of consequence wrong with windows 8

The desktop theme looks like ass compared to W7, and buying it gives positive reinforcement to Microsoft that we want them to continue on the path of turning the PC into a closed appstore ecosystem.

Blindy.
posted 02-20-2013 11:15:29 AM
quote:
I bet you never expected Drysart to say:
The desktop theme looks like ass compared to W7

Ok?

quote:
and buying it gives positive reinforcement to Microsoft that we want them to continue on the path of turning the PC into a closed appstore ecosystem.

You can install applications from where-ever as long as it's not win8rt. Just don't use the app store to get applications, and that tells them that we don't want their walled garden.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-20-2013 03:20:11 PM
quote:
Bloodsage screamed this from the crapper:
What about mobos? Anything specific I should look for/want, other than matching the chip I go with?

Just check the maximum amount of RAM you can throw in there. 16 GB should do you for now, of course, but I'd imagine you'd want to retain the ability to jump to 32 in the future.

Also, when you go order parts, do a quick price comparison on ibuypower or similar site. These can also give you an idea of what parts to order, as they usually list specific brands of RAM, video cards, mobos, etc.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-20-2013 04:29:24 PM
Make sure to have a lot of memory, at least 200GB in your memory stack tower.

Also a fast chip and fan because big fans mean more horsepower in your CPU tower stack box.

A big television for it and braided cables because expensive braiding makes the signals go faster.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 02-20-2013 04:35:21 PM
quote:
Bloodsage Model 2000 was programmed to say:

For the motherboard, if you go i7 like the ones I had suggested, I recommend the any of the X79 series boards. ASUS makes the P9X79 PRO ATX, which is the best deal on the market right now last I looked, and the updatability is there. It lets you crank out to 64GB of ram if you had the need to.

Blindy.
posted 02-20-2013 08:27:38 PM
by the by Something Awful has a pretty good pc building megathread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525843

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-20-2013 09:19:20 PM
Thanks for all the help!

I'll make sure to get the highest stacks and biggest tubes for the intarwebs.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-21-2013 02:29:55 AM
quote:
Blindy. painfully thought these words up:
There is nothing of consequence wrong with windows 8, and many things are improved from windows 7. It's got a new start menu. If you don't like it that badly, you can replace it with one of many off the shelf start menu programs. Wah, wah.

According to my company there are problems with Win8. Removal of Direct Access from the Enterprise edition. The inability to run a Citrix client that works with our farm. The complete change of the user interface given that most of our users freaked out when migrating from WinXP to Win7.

The tile interface is "acceptable" if you're on a touchscreen device. For the like 90%+ who don't have a touchscreen it's a serious throwback to how Windows 1.0 operated, and 1.0 didn't really see adoption because of that...

Blindy.
posted 02-21-2013 12:28:32 PM
quote:
If only Random Insanity Generator hadn't said this:
According to my company there are problems with Win8. Removal of Direct Access from the Enterprise edition. The inability to run a Citrix client that works with our farm.

Not sure which version of citrix you are using, but my box works fine with our farm.

quote:
The complete change of the user interface given that most of our users freaked out when migrating from WinXP to Win7.

The tile interface is "acceptable" if you're on a touchscreen device. For the like 90%+ who don't have a touchscreen it's a serious throwback to how Windows 1.0 operated, and 1.0 didn't really see adoption because of that...

You guys are free to have your own opinions, obviously, but recognize that they are opinions. It's a big design change and takes a bit of getting used to, most people are negative about any change at all at first blush.

I happen to like the new start menu, and my standard work flow of press windows key, type name of program I want to run was completely unaltered.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-08-2013 07:45:41 AM
Well, the final thing looks like this:

1. Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2 GHz 6-core
  2. Asus P9X79 Deluxe LGA 2011 mobo
  3. Patriot Viper 3 32GB DDR3 1866 RAM (4 x 8GB)
  4. Corsair Force Series 300GB SATA III internal SSD
  5. EVGA GeForce GTX 690 video card
  6. LaCie Porche Design 2TB USB 3 external HDD
  7. Thermaltake Level 10 GT full tower case
  8. Corsair Professional Gold 1200W power supply

I couldn't find a compelling reason to adopt Win8, so I went with Win7 Pro because I actually really like the Aero interface. I haven't ordered them yet, but I've pretty much decided on the B&W MM-1 computer speakers to replace my crappy Logitech set that died last week.

When I get back from my deployment, I'll probably add another 32GB of RAM and another internal SSD to round things out.

I'm still on the fence about what monitors to get (thinking 2 x 25"), so if anyone knows a good brand, feel free to speak up. I don't game on my PC much at all any more, but I will be doing some video editing.

I'll have busted my notional budget by about 20% if I add the add'l RAM and SSD and stick with the expensive speakers...so not too bad for a public servant.

Are the tubes wide enough?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-08-2013 09:25:23 AM
I think those tubes will be sufficient to handle anything short of a Parcelan-sized dump.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-08-2013 10:11:44 AM
To be honest, unless you're planning on running a lot of VMs or something, even 32GB of RAM is total overkill. But RAM is cheap, so go hog wild.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-08-2013 10:17:21 AM
quote:
Quoth Drysart:
To be honest, unless you're planning on running a lot of VMs or something, even 32GB of RAM is total overkill. But RAM is cheap, so go hog wild.

Thanks! I'll save the pennies on the extra RAM, then, until/unless I run into issues editing video or something. Then I can add a 512GB SSD rather than another 300GB.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-08-2013 03:13:40 PM
Been working with 16gb and an 8 core CPU for almost a year now... So far I haven't found anything that it won't handle with ease. Except for shitty single-thread programs anyway... but that's going to be a problem pretty much no matter what.
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 03-09-2013 11:43:32 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about (_|_):

1. Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2 GHz 6-core
  2. Asus P9X79 Deluxe LGA 2011 mobo
  3. Patriot Viper 3 32GB DDR3 1866 RAM (4 x 8GB)
  4. Corsair Force Series 300GB SATA III internal SSD
  5. EVGA GeForce GTX 690 video card
  6. LaCie Porche Design 2TB USB 3 external HDD
  7. Thermaltake Level 10 GT full tower case
  8. Corsair Professional Gold 1200W power supply

Those tubes make my tubes sad. Solid system is solid. Now, for monitors... I've been running 2 24 inch ACER weird monitors that I got on sale for 100 bucks each.

When it comes to monitors, I have a weird affinity for samsung though. Their Syncmaster 27inch has been catching my eye lately and waiting for them to go on sale to pick up 2. I believe they make them in 25 inch as well.

But other than that I don't know.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-09-2013 11:49:29 AM
Coincidentally, I just looked at the Samsung 27" today at Best Buy. I have to measure my desk, though; I'm set up on a drafting table, and it's not large. It'd be interesting to find a setup I could stack vertically without a lot of hassle.

Now begins the hassle of figuring out what I want to keep on the old system, and transferring it to the external drive.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 03-09-2013 01:13:36 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Bloodsage wrote:
It'd be interesting to find a setup I could stack vertically without a lot of hassle.

Big problem with dual vertical stands, is that they normally accommodate up to 24 inch monitors. So you'd probably be looking at individual mounts and then math to make them on the wall nicely.

I have the same issue with desk space, I think a new desk will be my next purchase before going dual 27".

Maradon!
posted 03-09-2013 01:26:36 PM
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-09-2013 02:25:25 PM
Is that a fax machine in the background?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-10-2013 09:59:08 AM
Well, that was close: this time, the CPU didn't come with a heatsink/cooler...and I just realized I didn't order one. The LGA 2011s certainly don't have many options....

Should be ready to build Tues/Wed, though.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-10-2013 12:19:32 PM
quote:
Bloodsage wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Is that a fax machine in the background?

It looks like one of those old Brother Copy/Scan/Fax/Printer combos that Staples used to sell 3 or 4 years back before everything want all fancy-looking and digital.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-10-2013 10:32:10 PM
Just plugged the MM-1s into my old rig to have some music while I'm organizing files for the transfer. There's only one word for these:

Ermahgerd!

They're everything you'd expect from the brand and the price point. If you like accurate sound, and the clarity to hear each instrument individually, and you want it in a desktop package, go buy these. They're optimized for near-field use, though, so I've read they're not what you want to fill a room...but haven't tested that part yet.

Four thumbs up.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-10-2013 10:56:15 PM
quote:
Bloodsage came out of the closet to say:
Well, that was close: this time, the CPU didn't come with a heatsink/cooler...

CPUs are usually available in two different SKUs. The one labelled "Retail" always comes with a stock heatsink and fan (as well as documentation and usually a longer warranty). The one labelled "OEM" is just the chip and nothing else.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-10-2013 11:06:53 PM
Lesson learned!

Hopefully, I haven't forgotten anything else critical. I'd hate for the thing to catch fire as soon as I press the power switch.

I guess that's what happens when English majors build computers.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-10-2013 11:16:33 PM
quote:
From the book of Bloodsage, chapter 3, verse 16:
Lesson learned!

Hopefully, I haven't forgotten anything else critical. I'd hate for the thing to catch fire as soon as I press the power switch.

I guess that's what happens when English majors build computers.

Don't feel too bad, I always get that crippling fear when it comes to power on a new or modified machine too. Best you can do is double-check all connectors and sockets and hope for the best. More than once I've had boot failures from an improperly socketed stick of RAM. Derp.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-10-2013 11:25:58 PM
I know the feeling. When I built the current one many moons ago, I spent about half a day troubleshooting what turned out to be improperly set jumpers on the mobo. Not that there were any instructions, or anything...

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-11-2013 02:24:27 AM
Making it catch fire is pretty hard. Computers today are pretty much just "plug everything into the only place it fits". (Well, except for the power supply voltage switch. Make sure that's right.)

The biggest problem I've had with my last few builds is getting the heatsink on the CPU seated fully. Damn things are designed such that you might think it clicked into place, but it really didn't. Just run some CoreTemp and Prime95 on that bitch when it's all put together and make sure it stays nice and cool.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-11-2013 08:32:57 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Drysart absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Making it catch fire is pretty hard. Computers today are pretty much just "plug everything into the only place it fits". (Well, except for the power supply voltage switch. Make sure that's right.)

The biggest problem I've had with my last few builds is getting the heatsink on the CPU seated fully. Damn things are designed such that you might think it clicked into place, but it really didn't. Just run some CoreTemp and Prime95 on that bitch when it's all put together and make sure it stays nice and cool.

Thanks for the tip. I'm always nervous when putting the chip on the board, and putting the cooling on the chip. And this one I ordered is slightly larger than the Taj Mahal and makes me apply the thermal paste manually. Should be fun!

This project is experiencing major mission creep, too: it's turned into a redesign of my office. The drafting table I'm currently using for a desk won't fit even my current monitors along with the monster Level 10 case, so I'm looking to buy a new desk (which will free up the drafting table for my wife to put her iMac on). And, of course, to fit the new table into the office will require a major reshuffle of the bookcases already there. Should be sweet when it's finished, though.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-11-2013 04:52:55 PM
"Building a computer is Brain Surgery with Legos. Sure it's delicate parts but it's all 'Tab A into Slot B' bullshit."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-11-2013 06:14:31 PM
quote:
Quoth Random Insanity Generator:
"Building a computer is Brain Surgery with Legos. Sure it's delicate parts but it's all 'Tab A into Slot B' bullshit."

qft

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 03-11-2013 07:54:37 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Bloodsage was all like:
Should be sweet when it's finished, though.

I expect to see finished pictures... I'll show you mine if you show me yours? wait what are we talking about again?

My office is filled with wedding gifts that keep arriving though, so, it's not a peaceful place right now.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-11-2013 08:53:15 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Brahmin Bloodlust absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
I expect to see finished pictures... I'll show you mine if you show me yours? wait what are we talking about again?

My office is filled with wedding gifts that keep arriving though, so, it's not a peaceful place right now.

Absolutely! The desk will be delivered Saturday afternoon, so I should be set up by evening.

Wedding presents...are congratulations in order?

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-11-2013 10:59:11 PM
I did finally get my new server put together. Upgrading from a system with "6Tb" of storage to a system with "21Tb" of storage is kinda awesome.

And the drive manufacturers sticking to the base-10 bullshit is getting annoying. "21Tb" of storage becoming 18.1Tb is BS.. ("24Tb" raw disk becoming 21.8Tb before zraid1 kicks in)

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: