EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: SWTOR is now Free To Play
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-16-2012 01:33:51 PM
If you wanted to give it a go or come back from a previous subscription.

Free all the way to 50 with restrictions, though you can use RL money via micro transaction to remove some of those restrictions.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-16-2012 02:59:40 PM
I loved the Alliance Trooper storyline. Fem-Shep all the way. Basically felt like Mass Effect 3.5 or 2.5 or something. And the sith inquisitor was hilarious. "Fine! I'll tell you everything! Just stop shocking me!" "What, like this?" *force lightning*

They gave me 100 cartel coins (Their funny money) for subscribing at one point though. That was nice of them.

nem-x
posted 11-16-2012 08:31:36 PM
Is it still as bad as it was in beta
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-17-2012 05:17:23 AM
There's still little to nothing to do at 50, but the storylines are still fun.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-17-2012 11:04:07 AM
It's a dozen Free SP StarWars games that you have to be online for, like Diablo 3.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-17-2012 05:15:53 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator said:
It's a dozen Free SP StarWars games that you have to be online for, like Diablo 3.

Pretty much, although the Group Flashpoints are a lot of fun if you find people to run them with who you like and not just random assholes from the Group Finder.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-18-2012 02:41:15 PM
The Sith Inquisitor storyline is terribad: MUST EAT ALL THE GHOSTS TO GET POWERLEVEL OVER 9000. ER, NEVERMIND, MUST GET RID OF ALL THE GHOSTS.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 11-18-2012 at 02:42 PM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 11-19-2012 04:49:42 PM
I would have kept playing for the agent storyline if it did not take forever to level up enough to reach the next part. It was starting to be a real mind trip and I would have loved to finish it.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-19-2012 07:28:53 PM
So... how do you install this piece of shit? Seriously. I let the patcher that was installed after their 37mb dl run for about 2 hours and it did nothing. Just now logged in and it's sitting at a screen with a "Play" button that is non-functional.

Yeah, I can see why this might not have gone well in general... they claim it's a 25Gb install and as far as I can tell it's done fuck and all.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Tarquinn
posted 11-20-2012 08:31:06 AM
In case you want to try this game*, here's a quote on the stories from someone who worked on the game:

quote:
Chewbot
Oh boy, here we go. I was wondering if anyone would do this game. I worked on SWtOR for six years and was one of the first artists hired. I was an environment art lead for four years and switched to senior cinematic designer once cinematic production started. I know more about this game than anyone really should.

One time while working at BioWare I made a comment on Something Awful and got in trouble for not getting it approved first. Guess what. I don't work for BioWare anymore. I'm happy to answer any questions about the game either specific to the game or production as long as we don't hijack Moon Slayer's thread.

For example, I pretty much know the full story for every class. Without reservation I would rate the class stories this way from best to worst:

1. Agent
2. Bounty Hunter
3. Smuggler
4. Sith Warrior
5. Trooper
6. Jedi Knight
7. Sith Inquisitor
8. Jedi Consular

Yeah, the force classes didn't work out so well.

*If you haven't yet, you should.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-20-2012 01:52:01 PM
If he seriously places "Trooper" at number 5, then holy fuck, because trooper was pretty badass. Maybe it's my Jennifer Hale lenses. I dunno. The smuggler was kinda more "eh" in my opinion, and the Jedi Knight is your typical star wars game. I'd love to see his justifications for these ratings.
Tarquinn
posted 11-20-2012 02:29:41 PM
Personal preferences.

Although he can't be that wrong, as the Inquisitor storyline really is bad.

Edit: Just logged in. Only two character slots and huge amounts of "pay money to make this part of the gameplay better" buttons. Hmmhmm.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 11-20-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Delphi Aegis
posted 11-20-2012 02:56:30 PM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Duck Tales:
Personal preferences.

Although he can't be that wrong, as the Inquisitor storyline really is bad.

Edit: Just logged in. Only two character slots and huge amounts of "pay money to make this part of the gameplay better" buttons. Hmmhmm.

Yeah, the inquisitor seems over the top. I loved it due to how the end of chapter 1 played out, and how it manifests later.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-20-2012 03:40:53 PM
I'm loving the Bounty Hunter and Agent storylines, but I also absolutely loved the Sith Warrior too.

I was going to make a Consular or Inquisitor next.. I think I'll pass for now.

Tarquinn
posted 11-20-2012 03:55:49 PM
I seem to have been kicked out of the guild.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-20-2012 05:04:21 PM
I can add you but I'm not on Validus (now Vermiculus) very often, if you give me a time in GMT sometime after 6pm that you'll be around I can get you added.
Tarquinn
posted 11-21-2012 02:11:50 AM
Thanks.

I haven't really decided yet if I actually want to come back, because if you play for free, the game constantly makes you feel like you're part of the imaginary 47% Mitt Romney was talking about. I think they went a little bit too far with that.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 12-02-2012 10:30:43 PM
quote:
Mortious wrote this stupid crap:
If you wanted to give it a go or come back from a previous subscription.

Free all the way to 50 with restrictions, though you can use RL money via micro transaction to remove some of those restrictions.

HE LIVES!

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 12-04-2012 11:49:44 AM
quote:
Aury said this about your mom:
HE LIVES!

Holy crap!

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 12-10-2012 09:41:53 AM
Agent (Operative) was the first class I played to 50 and I enjoyed the story -- I never had any issues with leveling enough to get to the next part of the story, though? I just conquered each planet and its quests as they were presented to me

Leveled up an Inquisitor (Assassin) next and I have to agree that the story is horrible. The cloth tank role is kinda fun, though. So, good class, bad story.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the F2P model, though. Since every race is basically human with a paint job, the only thing that made you stand out at all was hiding your helmet -- which they decided you now have to pay to do.

No rest exp unless you're a subscriber. Reduced exp gain unless you're a subscriber. Though those two I can probably live with.

At least there's SOME unlocks you can buy with in-game credits.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-15-2012 09:26:34 AM
Well I have found a reason not to play....

There are no fucking names available to use. They're all taken.

Tarquinn
posted 12-15-2012 01:08:00 PM
Xgbglorf the Jedi Knight.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-15-2012 03:32:24 PM
Started as Imperial Agent, but close enough...

Names I've seen in game: Deezknutz, Thickdcktank, Ipwnxxx, Bigggunz

so much /facepalm, so little time.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-17-2012 11:28:10 AM
Oh nice, you get a free Tionese set on reaching level 50 now.

I look like Robocop.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-17-2012 11:08:30 PM
"Itsokigotky Foryourbrowneye the Destructive" How do you make it to 50 and get epic pimped out gear with that name?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-18-2012 08:30:14 AM
Scrub what I said about Group Finder, I've actually started using it more tactically and only choosing what I want to Tank in and it's very handy indeed.

There is much to do at 50, if you look for it. It doesn't get handed to you.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-01-2013 01:49:00 AM
Been playing a Jedi Shadow lately, pretty damn fun!

Tarquinn
posted 01-01-2013 06:21:08 AM
Any idea when they will give F2P players more than two character slots?

Edit: Also why had you time to post at that time?

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 01-01-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-01-2013 06:49:44 AM
F2P players are scum they will continue to spit upon and force to subscriber status, as the F2P model is so crippling by default. Unless you just want the class story lines. Then it's fine.

I've been up all night after coming back from the pub for midnight. I've been awake at nights lately so need to reset my inner clock by staying up.

Tarquinn
posted 01-09-2013 09:29:56 AM
Okay, F2P scrubs can have more than two characters now. I've started a Jedi Knight.

What's the name of your shadow, Mort?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-10-2013 05:19:17 PM
quote:
Tarquinn said:
What's the name of your shadow, Mort?

Nyrili. Random name generator go go go. I'm lazy.

I'm playing my Agent more now though as I've got my BH to Chapter 2 and my Agent is almost there so it'll be full class buffs all round.

Tarquinn
posted 01-31-2013 02:28:40 AM
Hey Mort, what names do I have to look for to get a reinvite to DLOTS?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-31-2013 04:23:57 AM
Vermiculus (me)
Destius
Novai
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: