EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-10-2011 06:43:57 PM
DIE, XENO SCUM.

It's pretty good. Feels slightly like Gears of War with a Warhammer 40K skin, but also gets rid of the "chest high walls" trap that many FPS's have fallen into these days. After all, why on earth would a 7 to 8 foot tall armour clad behemoth hide behind a wall?

Having fun killing millions of orks. Literally. Millions. Bastards never stop coming.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-10-2011 07:51:01 PM
My only complaint so far is that the orks are really civil.

Like, you play Dawn of War and they're all yelling, screaming, roaring over one another, so when they come as a tide, it looks like a gigantic howling mass.

This time, their accents are subdued, their roaring is muted and they all seem careful not to talk over each other.

SPACE MARINES.

KILL 'EM.

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 09-11-2011 12:09:15 AM
Melee combat feels sloppy in a way that I can't quite put my finger on, but otherwise I think it's great fun.

It's not a good choice if you're looking for a game with a great story. The script and acting are both fine--even pretty good at times--but the overall story itself is a snore. But to Relic's credit, the game is gorgeous and wonderfully atmospheric; it's a great game to play if you want to immerse yourself in the 40K universe.

I'm near the end of the game and it's getting a tiny bit frustrating, but once again I'm masochistically playing on Hard mode FOR THE EMPEROR, so it's probably my own damn fault.

While I'm pleased with the campaign, multiplayer feels pretty imbalanced. Some weapons, like the Stalker Bolter, are a little overpowered. Other weapons, like the Plasma Cannon, are basically the God Emperor in gun form. And the Blind Grenades have a ridiculously huge radius that makes it hard to not blind yourself. And your teammates.

I strenuously disapprove of keeping the second perk slot locked until level 15. It puts new players at a direct disadvantage to the higher level players. To be fair, reaching 15 doesn't take very long, but I don't understand why the perk slot is locked in the first place.

And damn, five maps and two game types? Here's hoping for DLC.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Peter
Pancake
posted 09-11-2011 12:49:00 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

Having fun killing millions of orks. Literally. Millions. Bastards never stop coming.

I have heard it described more like Dynasty Warriors than like God of War cause of the hojillion orks to kill.

Peter fucked around with this message on 09-11-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-11-2011 04:42:52 AM
To be fair, that's fairly in keeping with ork strategy.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-11-2011 07:25:31 AM
I agree about the Orks being civil, I actually thought it was Imperial Guardsmen talking the first time I heard them.

Probably toned down their british scum accents so the yanks could understand them.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 09-11-2011 11:13:51 AM
Just finished it yesterday, hoping they add on to the story with a sequel.

The combat, both ranged and melee could have used something more proactive in the form of defense. It tried really hard to be like God of War's melee ([],[],[],^)
and Gears of War's shooting. Thing is, the cover didn't feel like it was being 'used' any more than you happened to move behind a crate. The melee also didn't have a block button, and the dive-roll felt impotent because of their long melee ranges.

That said, I liked the flow of everything, and the ork's yells of 'SPAICE MAREEN!' got grating pretty fast.

The game really hit its flow for me when you're going across the giant bridge, and Blood Ravens & Black Templars are dropping onto the bridge to fight Chaos with cries of 'FOR THE EMPEROR!'

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-11-2011 03:17:27 PM
It strikes me as the kind of game that's not really going to pick up until its sequel.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-13-2011 02:17:21 PM
I like it, but I can't play it for longer than 30 to 60 minutes in one session.

Well, if it wasn't 40k based, this wouldn't be my type of game.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-13-2011 03:12:45 PM
The last boss is a fucking QTE??

Nina
posted 09-13-2011 09:17:59 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Rodent King wrote:
Just finished it yesterday, hoping they add on to the story with a sequel.

This is your sequel.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-14-2011 07:08:05 AM
For a Space Marine, you really seem to be kind of fragile. Once your shields go down, you lose like 33% of your health per hit.

Those Berserkers are bad enough, what with their warbling WAAAAAAGHs, without the Shoota Nobz throwin Rokkits at me all the while.

Really, there are so many opportunities for humor here that are going wasted. The Orks WAAAAAAGH a lot, to be sure, and they talk about killing Space Marines a lot, but none of their character ever really comes out.

Tarquinn
posted 09-18-2011 09:31:36 AM
Anybody playing the multiplayer, btw?
Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 09-18-2011 08:15:55 PM
quote:
Tarquinn thought about the meaning of life:
Anybody playing the multiplayer, btw?

Indeed I am; imbalanced and anemic as multiplayer is ATM, I'm determined to reach 41 and get my bitchin' Maximus armor armour.

EDIT: Forgot a couple words there.

Sentow, I Guess fucked around with this message on 09-18-2011 at 08:16 PM.

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-20-2011 03:02:54 PM
Okay, was playing the demo, and have a burning question before I drop the required 60 dubloons on the real thing: what's the healing mechanism? Surely we're not expected to go through the entire game with only one health bar...? Only played for a few minutes, but didn't see anything obvious.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Tarquinn
posted 09-20-2011 04:10:32 PM
Perform a finishing move on stunned enemies.

Edit: Fury-mode also replenishes your health.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 09-20-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-20-2011 04:51:58 PM
Bummer. I was hoping this wouldn't be that kind of game. Well, there's $60 back in my pocket. Thanks for the save, bro.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-20-2011 04:53:13 PM
If you want an old fashioned and extremely difficult FPS Bloodsage, pick up Hard Reset.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-20-2011 05:08:43 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Mortious gently hums:
If you want an old fashioned and extremely difficult FPS Bloodsage, pick up Hard Reset.

I may have to check it out. I wish SM hadn't gone the combo-based fighter route, though. Only one of those I ever liked was DOA, and it really wasn't for the gameplay.

Tarquinn
posted 09-20-2011 05:16:03 PM
It's not really a combo-based fighter.

You just use the stun button (one button) to stun an enemy and then use the finishing move button (another single button) to perform a finishing move to regain health. Usually works best when only a few enemies are left.

Fury mode is also only just one button.

Nina
posted 09-26-2011 11:08:41 PM
quote:
Verily, Bloodsage doth proclaim:
Okay, was playing the demo, and have a burning question before I drop the required 60 dubloons on the real thing: what's the healing mechanism? Surely we're not expected to go through the entire game with only one health bar...? Only played for a few minutes, but didn't see anything obvious.

You're not really supposed to dive into your health bar unless you're mindlessly meleeing and executing hordes of orks. Which, incidentally, is also when you'll be regenerating your health. The rest of the time, you should be in your armour bar, and that one regenerates after 4-5 seconds easily.

It might not be worth full retail price (and I'm saying this as a THQ employee), but it's definitely worth going through the campaign at least once. Repetitive though it might be, it's still a good mindless Ork and Chaos slaughtering romp.

I've been playing PC multiplayer during lunch breaks, although I normally don't have my THQ tag out unless I want to have a billion pubbies whining for dedicated servers as if I automatically was a part of Relic's infrastructure team.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: