EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Dr. Who?
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-29-2011 12:32:09 PM
While at the Chicago Comic con, dressed as Doc Brown; I ran across some other wierdos who were also getting their pictures taken.

At one point, a woman stopped both myself and a man in a suit-coat thing; saying:

"Oh, awesome! I'd love a pic of my two favorite time travelers!"

So, I figured the guy was dressed as Dr. Who, so now I'm intrigued enough to give the series a shot. From what I understand, there's a few different TV series out? Books/movies maybe? Where does a newbie start with this?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-29-2011 12:39:40 PM
Probably with episode one of the new series*, called "Rose" from 2005.

*Not really new, as it is a continuation of the old show, but it is a very good point to jump in. All you need to know is that the Doctor is a "Madman(alien) with a (time travel)box." Everything else you will pick up while watching the show.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 08-29-2011 at 12:45 PM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-29-2011 07:42:21 PM
I didn't really like the show until David Tenant became the Dr., then it was awesomesauce.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-29-2011 08:22:42 PM
I didn't really like the show until Russell T Davies stopped writing for it. I have nothing against gay themes on a TV show every now and again but this guy goes totally overboard with it. Watch the Dr Who spin off called Torchwood for an example as he's the lead writer and creative director. IT'S. EVERY. FUCKING. EPISODE.

You'll be able to tell when he stops being the main writer when the Dr Who episodes stop featuring Captain Jack "I'm hot for the Doctor and want everyone to know it every damn episode" Harkness.

Was also starting to get tired with David Tenant's Doctor crying like a baby every damn episode while saying "You humans.. *cry*.. you're so.. *cry*.. amazing.. *cry*..". The new Doctor is pretty good though. Fish fingers and custard.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-29-2011 09:50:58 PM
I started with "Blink" and wept with joy.
Tarquinn
posted 08-30-2011 02:20:44 AM
quote:
Verily, Mortious doth proclaim:
I didn't really like the show until Russell T Davies stopped writing for it. I have nothing against gay themes on a TV show every now and again but this guy goes totally overboard with it. Watch the Dr Who spin off called Torchwood for an example as he's the lead writer and creative director. IT'S. EVERY. FUCKING. EPISODE.

You'll be able to tell when he stops being the main writer when the Dr Who episodes stop featuring Captain Jack "I'm hot for the Doctor and want everyone to know it every damn episode" Harkness.

Well, Harkness was invented by Moffat, though. And he's still one of the best companions ever.

Edit: Also, he was supposed to show up in the last half-season finale.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 08-30-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-30-2011 05:18:02 AM
Harkness isn't too bad, I have no problem with the character.

I just severely dislike Mr Davies' supposed need to cram gay into everything he writes. Literally everything. Look at the list of things he's wrote.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-30-2011 07:13:30 AM
quote:
What is this crap that Mortious is spewing?
Harkness isn't too bad, I have no problem with the character.

I just severely dislike Mr Davies' supposed need to cram gay into everything he writes. Literally everything. Look at the list of things he's wrote.

Have you seen the new season of Torchwood?

Oh, wait... the gay sex was edited out before we shipped it to the UK.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-30-2011 09:08:02 AM
Torchwood is and always was absolutely terrible garbage.
Tarquinn
posted 08-30-2011 11:04:40 AM
The Children of Earth mini-series was awesome.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 08-30-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-30-2011 03:37:53 PM
I've liked Torchwood, when it wasn't about random sex between the characters.

I'm just wondering why in the hell it's being censored for UK audiences.... usually it's the other way around, isn't it?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 08-30-2011 06:45:55 PM
Doctor who is a twilight zone/sliders/outer limits/quantum leap/etc type show where the main character pulls deus ex machina bullshit out of his ass in an entertaining way right before the big baddy destroys the solar system/universe/etc for good. It's good mindless fun.

quote:
Mortious had this to say about dark elf butts:
Torchwood is and always was absolutely terrible garbage.

I thought I was the only other Dr. Who fan who thought this. I tried so hard to like it but couldn't. Now I have GURD.

I can't agree with the hate towards
Christopher Eccleston
, however. Darlek had some of my favorite scenes of a Dr. Who episode.

Dalek: Then what should I do?
The Doctor: Alright, then. If you want orders, follow this one. [pause] Kill yourself.

edit: don't forget, everyone likes Tom Baker too

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 08-30-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Tarquinn
posted 08-31-2011 02:35:58 AM
No, as far as I know, most DW fans think that Torchwood (except Children of Earth, which is better than most DW specials) is absolute trash.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-31-2011 11:48:43 AM
From the people I've talked with, if you were a DW fan before the newest seasons Torchwood "Isn't bad". If you picked up on DW with the newest iterations, Torchwood is somewhere between "garbage" and "vile, offensive pandering".
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: