EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: MaraCraft server official thread
Maradon!
posted 12-25-2010 10:47:41 AM
Maradon's EC Minecraft server is back.

I resolved the issue with the internet dropping off. It turns out that it was an issue with the ethernet cable I was using to connect the modem to the router... glad that's resolved.

NEW SERVER IP ADDRESS
71.60.196.181:25575
LLAMACRAFT EQUALS YES

There are a few problems. My IP address is NOT static. So long as I don't reboot the modem, I keep it for a long time (few weeks) but twice a month plus power outages is still a pain in the ass to keep reposting the IP for this server. If anyone knows how I can resolve this with a minimum of personal expense, I'm open to suggestions.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-25-2010 11:08:19 AM
Um. dyndns.org?
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Maradon!
posted 12-25-2010 11:24:42 AM
maradon.dyndns.org:25575

so, that's it? can people connect to that? How does it know when my IP changes?

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 12-25-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Maradon!
posted 12-25-2010 11:31:49 AM
Ok, I set up my router and a free dyndns account and it seems like it should work, but I'm timing out when connecting to my own server.

No wait, looks like the server is just fucked up.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 12-25-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Maradon!
posted 12-25-2010 12:06:08 PM
Looks like llamacraft was causing the timeouts.

Server is now up at maradon.dyndns.org:25575 without llamacraft and running fine with the latest version of everything else.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-25-2010 10:28:01 PM
You made my christmass
Maradon!
posted 12-27-2010 07:10:46 PM
I realized that I had not made a server map in a while.

Latest one is right here.

On that note, just as an informal poll, how do people feel about the map? Is it time to wipe the slate clean, archive all our current work for posterity, and start over? Find a new awesome map generator or just go by luck of the draw?

Maybe have alternate map days, say on weekends when the server runs a new map and then go back to the current one during the week?

Maradon!
posted 12-27-2010 07:18:11 PM
Incidentally, now that damage is in, I am declaring open season on cactii. Large cactus walls are now serious obstructions, if you erected one and you're in love with it, tough cookies.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-27-2010 07:21:04 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about dark elf butts:
Incidentally, now that damage is in, I am declaring open season on cactii. Large cactus walls are now serious obstructions, if you erected one and you're in love with it, tough cookies.

Protip: The majority of cacti near spawn were grown and split from a single source block. Same for the reeds.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-27-2010 07:25:59 PM
If you can't get a server mod that allows us to teleport between worlds (or a far away area in the current world) I wouldn't mind alternating server days.

That said I don't want to lose my house. I've put too much time into it. You can't see most of but becuase most of the expansion is underground.

Maradon!
posted 12-27-2010 07:31:51 PM
Diadem is the king of torches and cactii.

I'm actually looking at what progress has been made on SMP teleporters right now, but it doesn't look promising.

"Multiworlding" is 'planned' for two existing custom server projects, CoreS and Ourcraft.

CoreS is a private server project and not available for download anyway, and Ourcraft was only just announced and doesn't have a working release as far as I can tell.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 12-27-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-27-2010 08:31:21 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
Diadem is the king of torches and cactii.

I'm actually looking at what progress has been made on SMP teleporters right now, but it doesn't look promising.

"Multiworlding" is 'planned' for two existing custom server projects, CoreS and Ourcraft.

CoreS is a private server project and not available for download anyway, and Ourcraft was only just announced and doesn't have a working release as far as I can tell.

Is it possible to write a mod in .NET? If so I can be all over that. Is there a guide or some such?

Maradon!
posted 12-28-2010 07:11:32 AM
Asking the wrong guy. I can only barely get any of these custom servers to run, much less write one.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-28-2010 09:40:07 AM
quote:
Maradon!'s fortune cookie read:

I plan on tearing down the cactus field, harvesting the sand for glass and replacing it with a hotel for new players. Rooms will have signs outside and a chest with basic useful tools. New players can "claim" the rooms by tearing down the sign post and replacing it with their name.

Asterisk
Pancake
posted 12-28-2010 05:39:05 PM
I kind of like Diadems idea regarding the map. Current town is SG1, then we could take the stargate to Atlantis in the Pegasus galaxy. I get to be McKay.

P.S. I renovated the farm. It's a bit larger and fancier. Since we are taking dmg now, we need a way to reliably regain our health. You can find harvested wheat in the chest near the farm entrance, and turn it into bread at the toolbox nearby.

If you see wheat in the farm that is ready to be harvested feel free to do so. Just be sure to replace it with a seed.

Asterisk fucked around with this message on 12-28-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Skaw
posted 12-28-2010 09:45:17 PM
quote:
Asterisk wrote this stupid crap:

The efficiency of that farm is disgusting. You could've gone water - grain - path - grain - grain - path - grain - grain - path - grain - water.

Maradon!
posted 12-28-2010 09:52:57 PM
Nothing stopping you from making your own farm, skaw
Skaw
posted 12-28-2010 10:03:50 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:
Nothing stopping you from making your own farm, skaw

Nothing did.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-29-2010 02:13:36 PM
How involved is farming? Do you need to set up irrigation and harvest regularly? Are their multiple crops? What about raising livestock?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Skaw
posted 12-29-2010 03:10:43 PM
quote:
Karnaj wrote this stupid crap:
How involved is farming? Do you need to set up irrigation and harvest regularly? Are their multiple crops? What about raising livestock?

You can kind of technically raise livestock. Animals spawn on any dirt block with grass on it. You can fence(Or build a building with a glass roof) in an area and have sheep, pigs, and cows constantly spawn/despawn(if nobody is in the chunk) in it.

Farming is easy. Build a hoe, right click grass tiles to till them. Random tillings yield a harvest seed. right click seeds on a tilled soil and it can grow in to wheat. Tilled soil within 4 block of a water source block speeds up the process. Tilled dirt will turn dark brown after a few moments next to water, to signify it's been properly irrigated.

Make sure you set your farm up either in a greenhouse style building, or a fenced in area with no exposed grass tiles. Any kind of movement on crops will eventually destroy them, and revert tilled soil back to a dirt block. It's common to just remove the untilled dirt and make a path of cobblestone or gravel going through the garden.

Just like trees, wheat needs light to grow. So place Torches or lightstones around if you're growing indoors without glass/underground.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 12-29-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-29-2010 03:12:25 PM
Interesting. Can you make booze from the harvested wheat?
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Asterisk
Pancake
posted 12-29-2010 07:41:44 PM
Not that I am aware of. As for the efficiency of the farm, I could not find my farming for dummies book. /shrug
Maradon!
posted 12-29-2010 10:28:40 PM
Just think, you could have had FOUR MORE BLOCKS of wheat growing. You missed out man.
Skaw
posted 12-30-2010 12:44:44 AM
quote:
Maradon!'s account was hax0red to write:
Just think, you could have had FOUR MORE BLOCKS of wheat growing. You missed out man.

It would've saved him a lot of time in building the thing okay.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-30-2010 06:43:59 PM
It is BRUTAL out there at night. I was on skyroad and skelly spawned right in front of me - on top of a wood block that had a torch.
Maradon!
posted 12-30-2010 07:00:30 PM
Things are spawning on the skyroad? wtf?

Meanwhile my titanic underground frontier quarry remains mostly monster free despite spotty torch coverage and a totally dark ceiling.

Asterisk
Pancake
posted 12-30-2010 08:26:34 PM
I thought the further down you go the more light you need to prevent spawning, but I am guessing the higher up you are does not decrease spawning chances. Still, should not have spawned right on top of a torch.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-31-2010 08:46:50 AM
Massive lag this morning. Seems to be a hiccup though. Better now.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 12-31-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 12-31-2010 02:27:27 PM
quote:
Maradon! was listening to Cher while typing:
Things are spawning on the skyroad? wtf?

Meanwhile my titanic underground frontier quarry remains mostly monster free despite spotty torch coverage and a totally dark ceiling.

Hostile mobs are spawning EVERYWHERE now. My overkill torch approach is insufficient. They are spawning in my base. my base!

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 12-31-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 01-01-2011 11:14:49 AM
Roomers around reddit are that the torches are the last things loaded in a chunk - so going exploring at night (even in your own house) is the danger, not staying put.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 01-02-2011 12:11:02 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about pies:
Maybe have alternate map days, say on weekends when the server runs a new map and then go back to the current one during the week?

Alternate map:
diadem.minecraft-servers.com (subdomain has not yet been processed)

Mods:
- Procedurally generated rougleike-type dungeon marked by a pillar not too far from spawn. The farther down you go the better the treasures but mind the skeleton and zombie mod spawners.
- Runecraft - Place blocks in certain shapes to create magic such as teleporters.

Hosted by Minecraft-Servers.com (costs me about $11.34 a month for 6 players at a time). The server seems beefy enough to support hell-chunks when tested (at least for 1 player).

Maradon, I made you a full admin on the server. I can import the main Evercrest level if you want. I figure with runecraft installed we can create a teleporter next to spawn that leads to a virgin world.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 01-02-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Maradon!
posted 01-02-2011 01:18:02 PM
quote:
rougleike

what

Anyway this sounds like an extremely awesome idea to me. I've taken down the server and I'm in the processing of raring up our map. I'll PM it to you when it's all done.

I'm actually excited to play again.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 01-02-2011 01:40:34 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
what

Anyway this sounds like an extremely awesome idea to me. I've taken down the server and I'm in the processing of raring up our map. I'll PM it to you when it's all done.

I'm actually excited to play again.

Great. Once I get the map I'll use MCedit to merge the new world and the existing one. Once I do that I'll create a teleporter between the two and upload it to the server.

To answer your question....

All of those images are part of the procedurally generated dungeon. I used "city of mob," "library," and one other theme (I forgot what) for the "theme" seeds for generation.

Maradon!
posted 01-02-2011 02:31:48 PM
I sent the link to the map

I still don't know what rougleike means

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 01-02-2011 02:47:05 PM
quote:
Verily, Maradon! doth proclaim:
I sent the link to the map

I still don't know what rougleike means

Oh!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rougelike

I'm downloading the map as we speak. I swapped the server to a horrific hell dimension until the updated world is ready.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-02-2011 04:46:58 PM
The word is spelled rogue.

Sorry.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 01-02-2011 06:11:59 PM
The ship to the new world has landed (a pirate ship i stole from reddit).

Magical bonds between the old world and the new world have been established. Teleporters between the old spawn and new spawn are active.

Server is online and ready at 69.64.81.164.

To use a teleporter:
A teleport rune is keyed to a waypoint rune. Teleport runes look like the # symbol. Right click the center of the # to activate the teleport rune. This will transport you to the keyed waypoint. You must do this with your hands - if you right click the teleport rune with a block you will place the block instead of activate the teleporter.

If you destroy a waypoint you will sever the connection between the two spawns until a new waypoint is established. This will make many people rather annoyed at you. Don't do this.

--------
edit:
There are two rogue-like dungeons. It looks like I messed up the first one when I generated the second. There is no treasure in the chests and the signposts are blank in the first one.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 01-02-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 01-02-2011 07:02:20 PM
New Spawn

Can you spot the teleporter?

Right click the teleporter with your hand..

...and end up at the connected waypoint.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 01-02-2011 07:13:49 PM
Server map as of 7:27 PM EST 1/2/2011

http://dent.minecraft-servers.com/~server145/server145_world1_obliqueangled_d ay_players_signs.png

10 Meg Download. You can see which of the two rogue-like dungeons are active by looking at the signs.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 01-02-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Asterisk
Pancake
posted 01-02-2011 10:22:21 PM
/bow

How can I give you money?

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: