EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Walking Dead
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-16-2010 06:29:25 AM
Anyone else been watching this? I'm usually kind of put off by zombie apocalypse scenarios (I can't help but shake the feeling that Something Awful was right and the whole appeal of the fantasy is that it's a scenario in which nerds can shoot their peers without it being their fault), but this is pretty cool.

Episode 1: Awesome.
Episode 2: Not so much.
Episode 3: And we're back.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-16-2010 07:18:16 AM
Not yet, but I am considering doing it.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 11-16-2010 10:11:51 AM
If they'll ever get around to putting the rest of it on fucking Hulu, I'll watch it.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-16-2010 10:43:43 AM
It wasn't till 2 and 3 that I started to consider it "ratio well spent". The first episode is a bit disjointed, but that does make it the 'proper' way to introduce the world given how the main character makes his entrance.

And now there's a racist motherfucker running around with one less hand.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 11-16-2010 06:47:07 PM
Yes, Adam is a huge fan of the graphic novel series and we haven't missed an episode. Very short season, though. I think Sunday night they said there were only like three episodes left.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

nem-x
posted 11-16-2010 08:57:56 PM
I thought episode one was boring should i continue
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-16-2010 09:51:16 PM
You thought an hour long TV show was boring but you could farm shitty mounts for weeks on end?

I don't get it

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-16-2010 11:37:33 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Mr. Parcelan said:

Episode 1: Awesome.
Episode 2: Not so much.
Episode 3: And we're back.

My exact appraisal. Gonna stay with it through Season 1 definitely.

Episode 2 worried me a bit as it felt like zero character development and almost no plot progression.

Episode 3 was good, so if anyone is starting now, stick on past ep 2.

If you didn't like episode 1 (Nem), don't bother with the rest (at least so far). The pace stays pretty consistent (slow).

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-25-2010 06:02:24 AM
I liked the fourth episode and yet...

I don't know. I gather that this is the pace, but it somehow seems like it's a drama with zombies shoehorned in at times.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-25-2010 10:28:09 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I liked the fourth episode and yet...

I don't know. I gather that this is the pace, but it somehow seems like it's a drama with zombies shoehorned in at times.

Zombie Young and the Restless?

Guiding Light Zombies?

General Zombie Hospital?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 12-01-2010 12:29:28 AM
quote:
This is what Mr. Parcelan is doing. This is what I want Mr. Parcelan to do:

QFT. Last episode was boooooring. Yet still not bad. Weird.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 12-02-2010 11:06:41 PM
I couldn't stand seeing: The girl apparently about to make out with her zombified sister then shooting her at the last possible moment.

The risk of a skull fragment shooting out and infecting her were pretty high, not to mention the way she shot her sister forehead to forehead, the noise from a handgun fired less than 5 inches from your ear would be pretty terrible.

I hope those spoiler tags work!

Hopefully next episode will be more like the first 2.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-03-2010 12:47:00 AM
Still nothing beats a Python in a sealed tank for ear-killing noise and pressure.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-03-2010 08:19:39 PM
It's done a pretty decent job of fleshing out the story from the comics. Things haven't exactly followed the script by any means (the core cast had people added to be killed off for television purposes, for instance, and Rick's visit to Atlanta was much shorter in the comic, etc), but it has followed the gist pretty closely.

The deal with the comics, as creator Robert Kirkman explained, was that he wanted to deal with the human consequences of the "zombie apocalypse" scenario. His argument was that most zombie flicks and the like follow a pretty standard horror movie script. He wanted to expand the story past a 90-minute film script. Without spoiling anything, it should be said that in the comic no one...and I do mean NO ONE...is "safe" and anyone can die. Even core characters can be killed off. Sometimes it's senseless, sometimes it's cruel, or disgusting or the situations are terrible, but there's always a point. And as the story progresses, the zombies, while always present, become less the stars and more the stimulus for driving the actions of the characters.

Thus far the show's had a few episodes where I wish they'd move things along a bit (episode 2, I agree, could've done with some editing and rewriting; it's a bit telling that most of the story there wasn't covered in the comic), but I'm still going to keep watching.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

nem-x
posted 12-03-2010 10:35:44 PM
You've got zombies in my drama
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-03-2010 10:50:03 PM
I get and admire the concept of the human side of the zombie story. In fact, I think it's about all that can be done with zombies anymore, since the original is both played out and makes for some severely boring stuff.

My issue is just that it seems like it can't decide which one it should be. Is it a dramatic story about saying goodbye to loved ones and dealing with the unbelievable pressure of being human? Or is it a story about coping with the end of the world and what happens to humans when they're an endangered species?

Granted, the zombie apocalypse is the source of the drama and they're totally intertwined; I like the concept, I just don't like the execution. Episode one wove them together really well; there was plenty of action and terror and more than a little drama. Past that, though, the directors seem to be picking and choosing which episode is which. Some are set aside exclusively for character development rather than letting that happen through the action, some are just action without anything meaningful happening.

Maradon!
posted 12-03-2010 10:51:40 PM
Some people are so stupid that they actually think a zombie apocalypse is possible.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-03-2010 10:56:50 PM
Those are the same people that enjoy the zombie fantasy because they live for the day when they actively murder people and not be punished for it.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-04-2010 02:30:14 AM
Season Finale on Sunday?
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-04-2010 07:47:14 AM
AMC ordered thirteen more episodes.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-04-2010 04:46:08 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Mr. Parcelan!
I get and admire the concept of the human side of the zombie story. In fact, I think it's about all that can be done with zombies anymore, since the original is both played out and makes for some severely boring stuff.

My issue is just that it seems like it can't decide which one it should be. Is it a dramatic story about saying goodbye to loved ones and dealing with the unbelievable pressure of being human? Or is it a story about coping with the end of the world and what happens to humans when they're an endangered species?

Granted, the zombie apocalypse is the source of the drama and they're totally intertwined; I like the concept, I just don't like the execution. Episode one wove them together really well; there was plenty of action and terror and more than a little drama. Past that, though, the directors seem to be picking and choosing which episode is which. Some are set aside exclusively for character development rather than letting that happen through the action, some are just action without anything meaningful happening.

It's...interesting. The episodes and elements that work better are the ones that stick to the comic more. I think I'm more forgiving of the weaker elements because to me it's like watching deleted scenes from a movie I really enjoyed.

On the other hand, you can't carry a television series for folks who haven't read the source material that way. And the stuff that goes off script has tended to be noticeably sloppier and more "Hollywood Zombie Movie" than the stuff that stays on script.

I'll keep watching, but they do need to tighten up.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-04-2010 06:20:12 PM
Yeah. I'll keep giving it a shot for now. I've got to say I like it, but I probably won't go too far out of my way to watch it.
Peter
Pancake
posted 12-04-2010 10:49:52 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Duck Tales:
It's...interesting. The episodes and elements that work better are the ones that stick to the comic more. I think I'm more forgiving of the weaker elements because to me it's like watching deleted scenes from a movie I really enjoyed.

On the other hand, you can't carry a television series for folks who haven't read the source material that way. And the stuff that goes off script has tended to be noticeably sloppier and more "Hollywood Zombie Movie" than the stuff that stays on script.

I'll keep watching, but they do need to tighten up.

Other hand how close can they keep the the comics? There are some pretty fucked up moments in the books, and the books come off a bit more like the survivors slow descent into madness and depravity.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-06-2010 10:02:45 PM
A friend of mine did a review of the season finale that pretty accurately summarizes my problems with this show: it doesn't do anything new or challenging. Coincidentally, he also gave me a positive review, BUT THAT IS BESIDES THE POINT.

I never read the comic, so I don't know if the characters are accurate to it, but I do know they decided to deviate greatly from the comic, so that's not really an adequate defense.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-11-2010 06:41:21 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Peter stammered:
Other hand how close can they keep the the comics? There are some pretty fucked up moments in the books, and the books come off a bit more like the survivors slow descent into madness and depravity.

There's some stuff I question whether they'd ever be able to get the funds for...like living in a maximum-security prison. Hard to find one of those abandoned and conveniently placed to film in. Likewise, non-walker cannibals, parents wanting to kill their kids, rape in all sorts of forms... And I imagine they'll keep the death of children to a minimum in general, first scene of first episode notwithstanding; if it was HBO or Showtime I'd say no problem given that there's shows like Dexter and so forth. But on AMC...might be a little too rough. And heaven help us once Michonne appears on the scene and all the crap that went down afterward with the other settlement.

Likewise there's elements in the comics that I felt were resolved in a satisfactory fashion in the comics (the Rick/Wife/Deputy triangle and the lingering aftermath) that have dragged on here; I wish they'd resolve them already. Likewise, most of the heavy deviation serves to develop characters a bit more up front rather than having that character development happen mainly off panel or between issues.

Keep in mind the show is more or less showing us a running constant serial of events as they happen; the comic might drift a few days or a few weeks between issues. The comic insinuated they skirted around Atlanta for a while (it was late summer when Rick woke up and they were forced to abandon the city-scavenging camping routine as it moved into winter), so strictly speaking they're still within a few weeks of Rick having woken up, if that long.

Again, I'm not going to defend the show to the end, but it's far from hitting any warning/danger zones for me yet. Did think the mini-season ended weakly, though...the two CDC episodes didn't really accomplish anything story-wise, ASIDE from answering a question Kirkman (the writer of the comic and show) said he got from a lot of folks living around Atlanta; specifically "why didn't Rick and company check out the CDC for clues/hope/stuff?"

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 12-29-2010 03:14:45 PM
quote:
Verily, Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael doth proclaim:

On the other hand.

You didn't mention a first hand, does your comment only have one hand in a clever play on words? Or am I reading into it too much?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: