EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: How much do you spend a week on food
Number 1 Poster
posted 08-19-2010 08:51:21 PM
This is including shit like McDonalds, starbucks, etc..

I'm just curious.

Edit: I'm around $90-100 depending on my coffee intake

All-Bran Saved My Life fucked around with this message on 08-19-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Greenlit
posted 08-20-2010 01:48:48 AM
didn't you have this thread like six months ago
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 08-20-2010 03:45:58 AM
we spend about 100$ a week for the two of us.

mostly fresh fruit/veggies and meat.

no fast food or starbucks, we just got a Keurig for delicious coffee on demand.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 08-20-2010 05:17:40 AM
quote:
Greenlit wrote this stupid crap:
didn't you have this thread like six months ago

Yes he did

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 08-20-2010 at 05:18 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-20-2010 06:13:11 AM
No idea. As much as I want.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Number 1 Poster
posted 08-20-2010 07:10:36 AM
Hmph so I did. I forgot!
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-20-2010 01:18:10 PM
quote:
Tarquinn startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
No idea. As much as I want.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-20-2010 11:54:45 PM
For a family of 5, $475 a week over the last month; it's usually about $1000 a month for groceries and we spent about $900 on going out (including Starbucks). This is way above what it should be and I anticipate the going out will be tamed in the next couple of months.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 08-20-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Greenlit
posted 08-21-2010 02:45:42 AM
My answer is always the same; as little as possible.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 08-21-2010 09:45:59 AM
quote:
Damnati had this to say about Cuba:
For a family of 5, $475 a week over the last month; it's usually about $1000 a month for groceries and we spent about $900 on going out (including Starbucks). This is way above what it should be and I anticipate the going out will be tamed in the next couple of months.

I know the feeling. Family of four, we spend around $700 a month. Groceries are around $250 every two weeks and then we have miscellaneous costs in between.

I'm the one who spends most outside the grocery shopping as I am the one who works and half the time dont bring lunch to work.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 08-21-2010 10:07:29 AM
Family of 3.5
About 300-400 a month. Including fast food.
Starbucks is shit, I brew my own.

Farmers Markets in rural areas are the shit. I've been to them in cities and seen the prices they charge. Out in the boonies is where you can save money. Tomatoes for 1.50$/lbs in the store, are about 5$/Bushel half a mile from my house. Same with squash, zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, onions, and anything else that grows in Georgia. And the bonus? the place where I get my fruit gives out free homemade awesome ice cream if you buy at least a bushel of anything.

This Video shows one place I buy produce off I75. Gigantic blood oranges for a buck a bag in season. And Pecan Meal.. like corn mean but made of nuts.. imagine the possibilities.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-22-2010 04:38:00 AM
To give a number, probably spend maybe ~$200 on food monthly. It helps that I take a bit of leftover food from my business.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Maradon!
posted 08-22-2010 07:55:14 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Kaiote who doth quote:
Starbucks is shit, I brew my own.

Farmers Markets in rural areas are the shit.

It's funny how you use "shit" and "the shit" as opposite descriptors. Not criticizing, just saying.

I generally eat fast food maybe twice a week, and lately I've been eating rabbit food trying to lose weight. My weekly food budget is probably around $30 USD not counting dates.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 08-22-2010 08:12:13 PM
I dunno. Like 30-40 bucks a week, I think. I'm trying to cut fast food completely out. Plus I have generous friends who have me over for dinner a lot.
Suddar
posted 08-22-2010 10:20:00 PM
Usually $50 but I'm trying to cut it down to $25 lately because I'm broke.
Number 1 Poster
posted 08-23-2010 04:28:36 AM
You negros and your cheap food.

Seriously how much is like beef flank over there? It's $4/pound on average here and that's going to the asian market, not the big chain stores.

Greenlit
posted 08-23-2010 04:44:57 AM
Not buying beef flank is how we spend so little on food
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-23-2010 06:39:13 AM
As little as I can get away with.

3 for 2 and BOGOF offers are my best friends.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 08-23-2010 02:09:41 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Matthew Modine's Wrinkly Old Yambag:
It's funny how you use "shit" and "the shit" as opposite descriptors. Not criticizing, just saying.

I generally eat fast food maybe twice a week, and lately I've been eating rabbit food trying to lose weight. My weekly food budget is probably around $30 USD not counting dates.

I see them as separate, and equally acceptable parlance. Even with conflicting definitions, the added "the" makes them different enough, and not easily confused.

Like Bollocks, and Dogs Bollocks. Though in the latter, I am never sure if it is dogs, dog's, or dogs'... as any of them seem to be applicable in much the same way.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Skaw
posted 08-23-2010 02:19:44 PM
$50-$60 maybe even $70/week depending on what I pick up. But I tend to eat expensive stuff like Seafood not packaged in a tin can.
Peter
Pancake
posted 08-23-2010 10:20:30 PM
quote:
All-Bran Saved My Life had this to say about Reading Rainbow:

Seriously how much is like beef flank over there? It's $4/pound on average here and that's going to the asian market, not the big chain stores.

I have about 250-300 lbs of beef that cost me about $0.70 a lbs and about 8 hours of shit covering labor helping my uncle wrangle it into the branding cradles.

Beef here is pretty cheap, only cuts that go above $2/lbs are the short loin cuts. But this is cattle country and outside of Wal-Mart, most of the super markets buy local.

nem-x
posted 08-23-2010 10:59:15 PM
quote:
All-Bran Saved My Life had this to say about Duck Tales:

$2.50 per pound of top sirloin

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 08-27-2010 08:40:18 PM
3 adults in the house, taking lunches to work, about $250 total every two bi-weekly paycheck. Periodically I have to figure in cat food or sodas, but not each grocery visit.

That's just hitting the Wal-Mart grocery store. If I started going to Aldi's again, I could probably halve that. But it's convenient to go to Wal-Mart so Deth and I shop at Wal-Mart.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-28-2010 03:34:19 AM
Aldi is AWESOME.

I bought a car stereo there which does everything a £300 Sony unit does. For £50. It looks better, sounds better, takes SD Cards, and was cheaper. Fuck Sony.

Tarquinn
posted 08-28-2010 04:51:24 AM
One the Aldi founders recently died.

Oh hay, have some trivia:
The Albrecht brothers brothers are natives of my hometown, and still live(d) here in a big, not overly impressive by American standards, mansion.
The brothers are among the top ten of richest Germans.
Aldi stands for ALbrecht DIscount.
I was actually rather surprised to see an Aldi store during my trip to the states.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-28-2010 05:54:33 AM
I love the fresh fruit and veg in Aldi too, it's cheaper and usually a lot fresher than in most larger supermarkets. I regularly get a big basket full from there.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 08-28-2010 02:10:31 PM
Aldi totally rocks. I just wish the closest store was a little bit closer.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-28-2010 07:00:28 PM
Yeah, our Aldi store is right across the street basically. I could walk there if I wanted to.

We ended up going to Wal-Mart Grocery Store more because it was at the exit we got off of at the highway coming home from work. But we really should start going to Aldi again.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 08-29-2010 08:11:57 AM
Here in Fort Worth, it was like some sort of overnight growth spurt. There's an Aldi's just about every three or four blocks now.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-29-2010 05:28:14 PM
What the fuck a Chinese downhill Aldi?
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-29-2010 05:48:13 PM
Around here, Aldi is mostly a grocery store that specializes in extremely low prices. Although things like bags aren't included.

You can bring your own or you can buy theirs. You also have to bag your own cart up. The cashier basically puts everything back into your cart and you go to one of the areas they have and you bag things up for yourself.

And you don't get your cart for free, either. You have to put a quarter into a slot to release one for your use. You get it back once you put the car back.

You can get some other items at Aldi at times, too. Like they usually have lots of toys and such around here at Christmastime.

They're pretty nice, though. Good quality food and I can get a cartful of items for $60.

Peter
Pancake
posted 08-29-2010 09:59:50 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
You can bring your own or you can buy theirs. You also have to bag your own cart up. The cashier basically puts everything back into your cart and you go to one of the areas they have and you bag things up for yourself.

One thing I hate about being out west, is fucking baggers, I'd rather bag my shit up myself, so I don't get like 19 sacks were 3 would do. O you know, the hot ass chicken that's my dinner in the same sack as the salad it's gonna instantly wilt.

Skaw
posted 09-03-2010 12:02:10 AM
quote:
Peter was listening to Cher while typing:
One thing I hate about being out west, is fucking baggers, I'd rather bag my shit up myself, so I don't get like 19 sacks were 3 would do. O you know, the hot ass chicken that's my dinner in the same sack as the salad it's gonna instantly wilt.

Eggs or Bread in the same bag as canned goods/full hams/hard fruit.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-03-2010 01:01:29 AM
quote:
Azakias painfully thought these words up:
Here in Fort Worth, it was like some sort of overnight growth spurt. There's an Aldi's just about every three or four blocks now.

They dropped one in a few blocks down the road from me in Irving. Seen a few pop up in other locations around Dallas.

Never seen or heard of this store before... thought it was a one-off kinda deal till I saw some pop up around where I work in Ft Worth and such...

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-03-2010 04:27:14 AM
We generally don't have baggers in the UK.

The thought unnerves me.

Tarquinn
posted 09-03-2010 06:06:58 AM
The bagger career seems to be mostly limited to The States.

I liked them very much when I was shopping there.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 09-03-2010 09:06:05 AM
Everything around here is bag-your-own unless a cashier or supervisor is wont for something to do. Many large stores have self-check lines as well.

We spend way too much on food. Probably around $150-200 per week for two people.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 09-03-2010 03:29:39 PM
It'd be nice to have something like Aldi over here. California just has their not-so-bargain-friendly sister store, Trader Joe's.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 09-04-2010 12:49:44 PM
We've got Trader Joe's here, too. But it's kind of like Whole Foods, on the north "high living" side of town. I refuse to pay more than I have to for something that's going to go into my mouth and get processed in my stomach, so I don't go in for the "designer" status.

Most of our stores have self checkout lines. But baggers are still present for the normal lines.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 09-04-2010 01:27:53 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
We've got Trader Joe's here, too. But it's kind of like Whole Foods, on the north "high living" side of town. I refuse to pay more than I have to for something that's going to go into my mouth and get processed in my stomach, so I don't go in for the "designer" status.

Most of our stores have self checkout lines. But baggers are still present for the normal lines.

Whole Paycheck is infinitely more useful than Trader Joe's. Their produce department tends to have a much broader selection of stuff than any of the other local markets and they regularly carry Westmalle Tripel! Most of our shopping gets done at Costco these days, though; Whole Foods is great for grabbing one or two specific things but it's definitely not a good primary grocery store.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: