EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: UK completely grounded
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-15-2010 07:59:41 AM
For the first time ever, no planes are allowed to take off or land in the entire of the UK for all of today. When you consider that Heathrow is one of the busiest (if not -the- busiest) airports in the world, this isn't trivial.

The reason is a large volcano has erupted in Iceland and shot a razor-like glass filled plume of ash high into the atmosphere, right into the jet streams. This can completely destroy a jet engine if they fly through even a small part of it.

Here's to hoping it dissapates in the atmosphere and doesn't come down, as it's quite "heavy" with glass particles.

.. so here's to hoping it comes down over France.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-15-2010 08:25:52 AM
Wow.

Well, enjoy your briefly warmer weather.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 04-15-2010 05:52:13 PM
Yeah, those particles would tear an aircraft engine to pieces. Ouch.

I hope you dont get razor-glassed, Mort.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Maradon!
posted 04-15-2010 06:22:31 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Mortious who doth quote:
The reason is a large volcano has erupted in Iceland and shot a razor-like glass filled plume of ash high into the atmosphere

Jesus christ nature is fucking awesome

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 04-15-2010 10:07:21 PM
So I guess this means all the Quidditch matches are off for the weekend?
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-15-2010 10:10:16 PM
quote:
Callalron obviously shouldn't have said:
So I guess this means all the Quidditch matches are off for the weekend?

Nah. Those fuckers have goggles. They'll be fine.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-18-2010 04:52:33 AM
Still grounded. The ash is reversing course and coming down over London.

All northern European countries now grounded too.

This is getting rediculous.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 04-18-2010 07:05:07 AM
You can blame it on Top Gear
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-18-2010 08:08:39 AM
quote:
Vernaltemptress said:

Hahahaha, it truly wouldn't suprise me.

Kermitov 2
Pancake
posted 04-18-2010 12:48:39 PM
I have several friends who fly long haul for Delta... one of them is stuck in Paris.... Poor guy
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-18-2010 03:57:03 PM
My mom mentioned that. She's supposed to be flying out home on the 26th.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 04-18-2010 04:29:16 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress probably says this to all the girls:

I bet the Mythbusters were hiding in the trunk.

Everyone knows how much those guys love explosions.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-18-2010 05:44:26 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael said:

She might not be at this rate.

If the larger volcano (which incidently is right next to the small one) goes up in a chain we can say goodbye to air travel for a month or more.

What started as a curiosity is becoming annoying. Finding fresh exotic fruits and other flight-imported goods in the supermarket is becoming impossible. I want mah bananananananas.

Peter
Pancake
posted 04-18-2010 05:48:56 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Duck Tales:
... I want mah bananananananas.

I thought Banana's were normally sea lifted? Hell I would figure you would have Freight trains from India even..

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-18-2010 06:33:15 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Knight Rider:

If the larger volcano (which incidently is right next to the small one) goes up in a chain we can say goodbye to air travel for a month or more.

What started as a curiosity is becoming annoying. Finding fresh exotic fruits and other flight-imported goods in the supermarket is becoming impossible. I want mah bananananananas.

Yikes, that would be awful. Here's hoping that doesn't happen.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 04-19-2010 12:54:04 AM
If it causes a cooler summer in Europe can we blame Al Gore?
http://www.bloodfin.net
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 04-19-2010 02:18:00 AM
Didn't think the Queen had the authority to ground everyone. What's next, go to bed without pudding?
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 04-19-2010 02:55:59 AM
quote:
So quoth Random Insanity Generator:
Didn't think the Queen had the authority to ground everyone. What's next, go to bed without pudding?

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
"You! Yes, you behind the bikesheds, stand still laddy!"

Callalron
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-19-2010 11:31:39 AM
quote:
See, your Lyinar Ka`Bael means your hair. So technically it's true.
quote:
Ninety-nine bottles of Mortious on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of Mortious...

quote:
Structural Lyinar Ka`Baelity is failing, captain!
Yikes, that would be awful. Here's hoping that doesn't happen.
She may need to take a train to somewhere that still has air traffic. Barcelona has international flights to the US, and thus far they're still flying.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 04-19-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-22-2010 08:40:03 AM
Is there a noticeable change in the economy/infrastructure? Is this being treated as just an inconvenience or are there real noticeable issue?

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-22-2010 at 08:40 AM.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-22-2010 09:12:58 AM
Looks like most airports have resumed normal (or nearly normal) operation, despite the continued presence of the ash cloud.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 04-22-2010 10:42:03 AM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past thought about the meaning of life:
Is there a noticeable change in the economy/infrastructure? Is this being treated as just an inconvenience or are there real noticeable issue?

Volcano Ash Cloud Sets Off Global Domino Effect

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 04-22-2010 04:11:08 PM
Well it was nice and peaceful while it lasted.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: