EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Making a toolbox
Gadani
U
posted 03-15-2010 11:24:25 PM
...with actual tools, like a hammer and stuff.

What all do I need to have in this thing? Help me out here, homeowners.

Assume I don't have anything, post things you think I need/would be helpful.

Thanks!

Greenlit
posted 03-15-2010 11:32:02 PM
WD-40, vice grips and duct tape.
Razortooth Gnome
The Artist Formerly Known As Anklebiter
posted 03-15-2010 11:41:59 PM
Phillips and Flathead screwdrivers of various sizes.
Xian
Pancake
posted 03-16-2010 04:44:16 AM
A hammer, wrench, electrical tape, some nails, screws, screwdrivers?

Take pics and make a blog about making your toolbox. Don't forget the box to put the tools in!

Xian fucked around with this message on 03-16-2010 at 04:45 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-16-2010 06:29:28 AM
Just don't buy a shed/workshop, then you have to fill -that- with more toolboxes. It's a vicious cycle.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-16-2010 09:03:33 AM
Tools:
Hammer
Needle-nose plyers
Expansion-joint standard plyers (or vice grips)
Tape measure (self-spooling metal preferred)
Small screwdriver six-piece set
Large screwdrivers with solid shafts and broad grip handles
One standard screwdriver with interchangeable bits
Ratchet handle (shares bits with screwdriver)
Blade tool (pocket knife, multitool, or retractable blade)
Level
Wire cutters
Wrench set (optional)
C clamps (optional)
Electric drill & starter bits (optional)

Expendables:
Duct tape
Nails
Screws
Teflon tape
Electrical tape
Zip ties or twist ties
Random parts (you add these as they accumulate)

You'll also want to have Elmer's Glue, but keeping it in the toolbox risks puncture. Just keep a bottle in a drawer somewhere.

If you're clumsy, you'll want to keep neosporin and adhesive bandages around too.

Why both the solid screwdrivers and the bit-changing screwdriver? You can apply a lot more force with a solid screwdriver, particularly at bad angles or through narrow spaces. Your flat-head screwdriver will also double as a wedge and lever. Phillips head screwdrivers can be used to make alignment dents for drill bits.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 03-16-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Maradon!
posted 03-16-2010 07:23:19 PM
If you plan on working on small things (or large things with small spaces in them), I'd recommend a hook set of some kind.

I can't even begin to count how many times this has come in handy. The only tool I use more is a phillips head screwdriver, but not by much.

These things are also awesome for lubricating small gears and such.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-16-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 03-16-2010 10:53:08 PM
Are talking about a general house work one?
Or like a mechanics one?
Gadani
U
posted 03-16-2010 11:14:58 PM
General house work one, eventually building up to a mechanic one. Gotta start small.
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 03-17-2010 02:11:17 PM
in addition to what everyone else has suggested:

Socket Set (SAE & Metric)
Adjustable Wrench
Channel Lock Pliers
A Saw of some sort.
Allen wrenches
maybe a T-Square
If you need to cut a straight line a Chalk Line is invaluable but probably unnecessary.

Peter
Pancake
posted 03-17-2010 02:43:49 PM
Overlooked by idiots Manly me..eye protection, Can't stress how much a 10 buck set of goggles or eye cover can save you in pain, time and health.

In fact some gloves and dust masks aren't a bad thing either, and if you have the cash to spare, 3mM cartridge masks an usually be had for 30 bucks or less, and can be handy.

Screw-outs and bolt outs might make a good addition to stuff mentioned.

I would pass on the Regular Elmer's for a wood glue or say Gorilla glue. Also super glue and a syringe of 2 part epoxy. 3M's 5200 is a fairly glue/sealant that is wondrous in the elements.

An assortment of sandpaper if not a small file set.

pass on a wood saw Unless you plan to do a lot of carpentry, which i would pick up when you pick up he lumber, but a hacksaw and an assortment of blades is fairly general purpose.

I would drop the Electric drill as an optional and make it a mandatory. I wouldn't get a Drill driver with anything less than 9.6v Battery, but shoot for 12-18 if possible. And make sure it has a torque selector on it.

For your hand tools believe it our not, I truly recommend if you have the money Buy Craftsman. Pretty much ,unless you lose them, it's the last tool you need to buy with life time replacements. And I know Snap-on is better in most cases, but for and average Joe, it's easier to get to a sears rather than wait on a Snap-on truck. And for the toolbox itself, if you have the money to spare, some of the craftsmen boxes are rather spiff.

Peter fucked around with this message on 03-17-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 03-17-2010 02:59:08 PM
From Popular Mechanics
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 03-17-2010 11:41:38 PM
As a mechanic speaking here. Snap-On or Mac tools really aren't much different than Craftsman. Most of my tools in my toolbox at work are Craftsman. Reason being is I can get the same lifetime warranty for 1/4 of the price (or less). The tools work just as well as the overpriced ones. Remember the Snap-On/Mac/Matco tool guys are also paying for thier truck they drive all over creation.
http://www.bloodfin.net
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: