EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Final Fantasy XIII
nem-x
posted 03-06-2010 04:55:13 PM
Who else is going to suffer with me
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-06-2010 05:42:46 PM
Not me.

I cannot stand FF anymore.

Is there anything fresh about the latest episode?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
CBTao
Pancake
posted 03-06-2010 07:23:05 PM
I will be, probably going to fork out the extra for the LCE
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-06-2010 08:04:32 PM
When they put a boss into 12 that was not DIFFICULT but simply required you to fight it for about half a dozen hours, I decided I was over all them FFs.

I'm happy in my nostalgia playthroughs of 3, 6, 7 and 8.

Gadani
U
posted 03-06-2010 11:10:01 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Delphi Aegis was all like:
When they put a boss into 12 that was not DIFFICULT but simply required you to fight it for about half a dozen hours, I decided I was over all them FFs.

I'm happy in my nostalgia playthroughs of 3, 6, 7 and 8.

To be fair, that boss wasn't at all required...

Sentow, I Guess
Pancake
posted 03-07-2010 01:06:30 AM
I dunno, I was thinking about. I adored some of the games, but FFXII bored me to tears. I think I quit playing around the time Vaan was bursting into people's homes and announcing, "I'm Captain Basch von Ronsenberg of Dalmasca!" before fleeing into the night.

And the last JRPG I tried to play, The Last Remnant, was even worse. Bafflingly insane battle system, lousy script and dubbing... jeez. I only got like three hours in, tops.

Still, the trailers for XIII look really sexy, and Alan Wake, Super Street Fighter IV, and War for Cyberton (DON'T JUDGE ME) don't come out for a while...

KIERKEGAARD

Sigpic shamelessly stolen from Kate Beaton.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-07-2010 03:05:38 AM
From what I hear, it's designed to appeal to a broader audience. No more retarded mini-games (no mini-games at all, actually, which is kind of lame), the story seems alright, the characters look cool.

I'll give it a chance due to the golden rule I've found.

Look at the nearly-naked male:nearly-naked female ratio of all FF games. If the latter is bigger than the former, it will be good. If not...

Kermitov 2
Pancake
posted 03-07-2010 03:47:40 AM
wtf do you mean I can just heal the goddamned train?

ARRRRGHWTFKEWKWNVWEKSDKJVEKWJVSDVSDV

Seriously though, FF peaked with VI

Nina
posted 03-07-2010 08:58:16 AM
The japs hate it, so it must be awesome.

I'll be playing it sometime this summer when I've gots time.

Steven Steve
posted 03-07-2010 09:44:53 AM
the theme song is motha fuckin Leona Lewis
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

nem-x
posted 03-07-2010 09:58:43 AM
Greenlit
posted 03-07-2010 10:55:48 AM
I've been considering getting it, but my 360's DVD drive is failing.

I suppose I could install it to the HD, but I don't really have time for a full RPG anyways.

nem-x
posted 03-07-2010 11:37:24 AM
I restarted my gamefly account to get this

also Resonance of Fate
and Yakuza 3
and Heavy Rain
and God of War 3

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-07-2010 01:11:26 PM
Yakuza 3 sounds like fun too
CBTao
Pancake
posted 03-07-2010 01:37:03 PM
its looking like the Limited Collectors Edition is going to be Europe only, so I'll need to track down a way to import this
Tarquinn
posted 03-07-2010 02:18:14 PM
quote:
CBTao wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
its looking like the Limited Collectors Edition is going to be Europe only, so I'll need to track down a way to import this

I hope you have a PS3 then.

nem-x
posted 03-08-2010 07:51:11 AM
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 03-08-2010 11:20:49 AM
I haven't played a Final Fantasy since the shit fest that was 8, and I have not regretted it for a moment.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
nem-x
posted 03-08-2010 11:30:30 AM
X was great all around. X-2 had the best combat system.
Blindy
posted 03-08-2010 12:30:38 PM
I saw X being played several times. The water polo shit confirmed for me that it was a horrible, irredeemable game.
Tarquinn
posted 03-08-2010 12:47:26 PM
I agree. VIII made me start to dislike FF and X made me give up on that franchise.
nem-x
posted 03-08-2010 01:25:10 PM
Greenlit
posted 03-08-2010 01:45:58 PM
quote:
nem-x thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

I feel so guilty about loving X-2, but its combat really is the best the the numerical series has ever had.

Peter
Pancake
posted 03-08-2010 04:20:41 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Blindy wrote:
I haven't played a Final Fantasy since the shit fest that was 8, and I have not regretted it for a moment.

I must be in the minority that liked 8's story...the combat system was horrible and should be burned at the stake and the earth salted. And I liked 12's combat system, mostly since it was rather fluid and didn't stop so much for random tedious fights, or flipping through the same menus which seem in the other games to bore me rather quickly.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-08-2010 04:38:22 PM
quote:
This one time, at nem-x camp:

Pretty much this. X-2 had awesome, awesome combat.

Vallo, the Second Coming
Pancake
posted 03-08-2010 06:53:10 PM
quote:
Blindy had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I saw X being played several times. The water polo shit confirmed for me that it was a horrible, irredeemable game.

I played it, knowing it would suck but wanting to disagree, and I actually played about 25 hours of the game, 21 of them being Blitzball. I would have been fairly happy if it had no plot, silent characters (The voices were so...so bad) and was just a sports game of a more developed Blitzball. The concept was dumb but it was actually pretty fun.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-08-2010 07:28:26 PM
Took in Halo 3 ODST and a PS3 Assassin's Creed II, which got me FFXIII for about $1.50. ACII on PS3 is a piece of shit, glad I've got it on 360.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-10-2010 01:07:32 AM
Was at midnight release for XIII. Picked up the collector edition book to go with it.

Lightning is a cunt. Snow needs to STFU. Hope needs to quit being Emo. Vanille's VA needs to be shot. I am liking the chocobo though.

This one might suffer the same fate as White Knight Chronicles. Except that I'll wait till I've beaten it once to trade it in.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Steven Steve
posted 03-10-2010 06:59:39 AM
Reona Ruuisu
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

nem-x
posted 03-11-2010 08:17:47 PM
Impressions!

The first two-three hours of the game is quite possibly the worst thing to have ever graced gaming.

After you get to Chapter 3, you'll finally be able to apply experience points and access the Paradigm Shift aspect of the game.
The combat is nothing like standard rpgs. The only thing I could compare it to would be FFX-2, but with a ton more emphasis on changing jobs rather than issuing orders. You can only "control" one character, but even then you will still be using the Autobattle feature which automatically selects skills/attacks to use based on Libra monster scans. It feels more like a tactical game... definitely different.

Everything about Vanille is retarded and I feel embarrassed every time she talks; I would not play this game in front of others.

Greenlit
posted 03-11-2010 10:01:39 PM
quote:
nem-x stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I would not play this game in front of others.

FFX-2-2

Nina
posted 03-11-2010 11:02:31 PM
quote:
nem-x probably says this to all the girls:
Everything about Vanille is retarded and I feel embarrassed every time she talks;

This is how girls really run in japan.

Blindy
posted 03-12-2010 10:57:25 AM
quote:
I bet nem-x's Mother is proud:
Impressions!

The first two-three hours of the game is quite possibly the worst thing to have ever graced gaming.

After you get to Chapter 3, you'll finally be able to apply experience points and access the Paradigm Shift aspect of the game.
The combat is nothing like standard rpgs. The only thing I could compare it to would be FFX-2, but with a ton more emphasis on changing jobs rather than issuing orders. You can only "control" one character, but even then you will still be using the Autobattle feature which automatically selects skills/attacks to use based on Libra monster scans. It feels more like a tactical game... definitely different.

Everything about Vanille is retarded and I feel embarrassed every time she talks; I would not play this game in front of others.

And the streak continues!

That sounds.. just... terrible.

Blindy fucked around with this message on 03-12-2010 at 10:57 AM.

nem-x
posted 03-12-2010 02:11:31 PM
Hour 12

The game feels like an endless dungeon crawl with cut-scenes thrown in. The lack of towns is definitely a bad thing. I also really haven't been able to really afford to buy anything in the save point shops since the beginning of the game, so they are worthless.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 03-12-2010 02:42:39 PM
Glad I'm getting some input from everyone, was thinking about buying this tonight... now I'm thinking I'll skip it completely
http://www.bloodfin.net
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 03-12-2010 05:23:22 PM
I'm thinking about getting this, but I'm pensive. When I hear about FF, I think of the old dragon warrior.

Dragon Warrior was one of my favorite games back in the day, but looking back, I hate the game play mechanic. I'd have to constantly fight monsters for levels and gold. It doesn't drive the plot. It doesn't increase my skill or enjoyment, it just feels like a repetitive task that I have to do over and over again in order to progress.

When I played Mass Effect, I played because I wanted to see what happened next. I cared about what went on in the world. When I got new equipment, it felt like a bonus to help me on my quest, not something I had to get. Something similar can be said for fallout 3.

The big difference here is that the grinding feels like a job. It's a question of enjoyment vs obligation. I want to play a game because I want to play and enjoy playing, not because I feel obligated to. I don't want to think "gah, ten more minutes of this repetitive shit and I'll be able to.." in a game. That's ten minutes I'm doing something I don't want to do in an activity that's supposed to be enjoyable.

Granted, there are exceptions to this such as Skies of Arcadia, Diablo, and Borderlands, but they are few and far between.

Are my concerns founded? Is FF still a grindfest with pretty pictures, or is there something more substantial and entertaining to it?

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 03-12-2010 at 05:28 PM.

nem-x
posted 03-12-2010 05:35:26 PM
There has been no grinding yet since it's been linear. But the story is pissing me off because I'm having to deal with this little passive aggressive bitch for the entire game so far.

I have yet to reach the open ended part of the game, so maybe it'll change.

I also haven't been able to pick my party makeup yet.

nem-x fucked around with this message on 03-12-2010 at 05:36 PM.

nem-x
posted 03-12-2010 05:38:36 PM
Seriously this little punk is worse than Vanille
nem-x
posted 03-12-2010 05:38:50 PM
How is that even possible
nem-x
posted 03-12-2010 08:52:59 PM
Hour 17

I'm finally able to use three people in my party. I still can't choose my party members. ON RAILS

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: