EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Windows 7,
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 08-08-2009 11:55:39 AM
Is awesome and you should all get it as soon as you can.

Plebs.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 08-08-2009 12:23:37 PM
Free downloads will be available here until the 20th of this month. Activation keys will be supplied alongside the downloads.

Take note that this download is a release candidate and will expire in approximately one year. If you wish to purchase the release version, you can pre-order an upgrade for as little as $50.

I have been using Windows 7 for quite some time and am very happy with the system thus far. I concur with Blindy's assessment, sans the insult.

Blindy.
posted 08-08-2009 01:12:38 PM
I've actually got the retail version.

It's improved quite a bit, even since the RC build 7100 which I've been running since it came out.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-08-2009 01:34:36 PM
I'm probably going to put it on my next computer. Of course, I might not be building another one for a while so who knows.
Number 1 Poster
posted 08-08-2009 02:35:26 PM
XP for the life of this computer
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 08-08-2009 06:47:23 PM
No Microsoft OS is worth more than a steaming pile of shit until at least SP1, maybe 2. Gives them a chance to work out all the dumbass choices they made in development.

Then there's ME. But we won't speak of that.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-08-2009 09:29:09 PM
no it's pretty much been perfect since the public beta
Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-08-2009 09:55:35 PM
quote:
Callalron had this to say about the Spice Girls:
No Microsoft OS is worth more than a steaming pile of shit until at least SP1, maybe 2. Gives them a chance to work out all the dumbass choices they made in development.

Funny, I've been using Win7 since build 6501 and it's been more stable than XP of any variety. It's got the same memory footprint as Vista, unfortunately, but it does a lot more with it (in terms of memory consumed by OS processes, not Superfetch).

All in all, it's revived my interest in working with Windows. I don't have any patience for *NIX.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 08-08-2009 11:07:08 PM
quote:
Callalron had this to say about Tron:

Normally I'd agree with you, but Windows 7 supports Vista drivers. Windows 7 is a rather solid product, save some trivial bugs that only exist in specific hardware configurations.

The only major hole I've seen is IE8. It has some bizarre bugs with some of the simplest html styles. These bugs aren't consistent - rather they make the styles (such as width) behave differently (or not at all) based on what other nearby buggy styles are near it.

Change something's float via javascript? You just got yourself a blank page. Want a worse bug? I accidentally found a way to crash the browser's entire process (and all its children) with just a couple simple div tags. Some ajax dispose methods that go a little too far, like taking away the ability to click the mouse when a dom element is killed in a destructor, assuming that element had focus when it was destroyed.

IE8 is a steaming pile of shit sent from the most twisted reaches of hell to torment us with unfathamoable horrors, the likes of which can drive a man to insanity by their mere mention. It is a sin against all that is good in this world, and was spawned from such a level of wickedness that the devil himself dares not speak its name. The combined suffering of all who were, are, and shall be alive is nothing more than a divine sign of compassion, with the intent to alleviate the greater pain that IE8 would have otherwise inflected in but a heartbeat.

That said, if you stay away form that-which-shall-no-longer-be-named, you'll have a pleasant Windows 7 experince.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 08-08-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 08-09-2009 04:20:47 AM
Well, I'll get it for my next new PC.

Any guesses when the next generation consoles will be released? 2011?

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Blindy.
posted 08-09-2009 11:07:57 AM
quote:
If I had a nickle for every time Callalron said:

Windows 7 is Vista SP2.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-09-2009 12:29:27 PM
quote:
Quoth Blindy.:
I've actually got the retail version.

It's improved quite a bit, even since the RC build 7100 which I've been running since it came out.

Is that out already, or are you simply the benefactor of some knee-scraping industry insider deal?

I think Win7 will be the platform I use to wipe and go 64-bit so I can add more memory to my main machine.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blindy.
posted 08-09-2009 02:27:28 PM
I've got a MSDN Subscription though work so I get all Microsoft products though that as soon as they RTM.

I used Vista 64 previously with much disappointment, before going back to Vista 32 and eventually Windows 7 32 CTP- since I was doing a fresh rebuild I figured I'd give 7 64bit a chance and it is fantastic. All I had to do after install is download a driver for my G13 and G5 from logitech, everything else worked flawlessly out of the box.

Nina
posted 08-11-2009 10:48:55 AM
I haven't had any issues with Vista 64 myself, other than the fact it was Vista.
nem-x
posted 08-11-2009 03:31:17 PM
Whats the difference between vista and 7
Greenlit
posted 08-11-2009 05:13:15 PM
quote:
Verily, nem-x doth proclaim:

apparently everything

i hear it's like 95 -> XP

Blindy.
posted 08-11-2009 06:34:38 PM
quote:
I wish nem-x would say this more often:

It's like 98->XP. They refined the kernal a shit ton, it runs faster and uses less resources. They've given the whole system a pretty comprehensive usability face lift- all the way down to things like calc.exe. The indexing system actually works right for once. It just looks, feels, acts, and works all around better.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-11-2009 10:59:16 PM
I haven't used it outside of a VM but hey, it doesn't piss off our product as much as vista! Actually at all, really.

I figure when 7 hits I'll buy premium and a SSD and do do a clean install. Should be a tidy performance/feature gain.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-12-2009 12:40:38 AM
It keeps hanging on install wahhh
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 08-14-2009 08:27:35 PM
quote:
nem-x spewed forth this undeniable truth:

The speed difference alone is worth the upgrade.

nem-x
posted 08-14-2009 11:40:15 PM
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: