EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Let's get down to biznes
Number 1 Poster
posted 05-02-2009 09:11:29 PM
Looking at how much interest I'm gonna pay compared to how much goes on my principal, it's very clear that the 3.8% interest rate I have isn't just 1.038x what I borrowed. I have a $20,000 line of credit with a 6% interest rate, which is just a flat 6% extra of whatever I owe at the end of the month. Would it be wise to put $10000 of my line of credit towards my down payment, and pay both off at the same time? Is it a smart thing to do? Using http://www.mortgagecalculator.org/ I would have paid almost $6000 less interest over the my amortization (minus the interest accumulated from the line of credit of however long it took me to pay it back). I think it looks good on paper, but I'd rather some input on people with experience.

I have no debt on my credit cards or line of credit. I'm single, I have only my mortgage and my car (4 more years and car is paid off, freeing up $450 more a month. It's a 2008 Honda Civic so maintenance past warranty shouldn't be that high).

nem-x
posted 05-02-2009 11:28:13 PM
Nina
posted 05-02-2009 11:30:35 PM
"look like"?
Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 05-03-2009 12:59:14 PM
nina made a homo joke lol
A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 05-03-2009 02:33:30 PM
Check with a professional on this... If I recall correctly, interest payments made on a home mortgage is tax deductible but is not on a personal loan (line of credit). If so, then don't use the line of credit to pay towards the mortgage.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 05-04-2009 12:53:59 AM
quote:
nem-x is SUPER gay thought about the meaning of life:
Looking at how much interest I'm gonna pay compared to how much goes on my principal, it's very clear that the 3.8% interest rate I have isn't just 1.038x what I borrowed. I have a $20,000 line of credit with a 6% interest rate, which is just a flat 6% extra of whatever I owe at the end of the month. Would it be wise to put $10000 of my line of credit towards my down payment, and pay both off at the same time? Is it a smart thing to do? Using http://www.mortgagecalculator.org/ I would have paid almost $6000 less interest over the my amortization (minus the interest accumulated from the line of credit of however long it took me to pay it back). I think it looks good on paper, but I'd rather some input on people with experience.

I have no debt on my credit cards or line of credit. I'm single, I have only my mortgage and my car (4 more years and car is paid off, freeing up $450 more a month. It's a 2008 Honda Civic so maintenance past warranty shouldn't be that high).

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to communicate here.

Were you unaware that interest compounds? ie Say we have a "nominal" rate of 3.8%

That means that we have 3.8%/12=0.3167% monthly compounding interest. That means you will have to pay that much in interest each month. If you convert that to a "real" interest rate that is (1.003167)^12=3.867%. That is significantly less than 6%(whether that is nominal or real).

Furthermore I'm confused what you mean by an extra 6% at the end of each month. If that is actually correct you are paying a nominal interest rate of 6%*12=72% which is basically usury.

The thing you have to understand is you don't pay 1.038x the initial principal over the LIFE of the mortgage. You are constantly accumulating additional expenses in interest and you pay mostly those in the beginning and gradually pay more in principal. (This is why any additional payments early in a mortgage drastically reduce the length; you don't have to pay interest on all that money for the next 30 some odd years)

Basically I need what your actual mortgage and credit line terms are because you are fairly bad at communicating this information. As a general rule though, it is highly highly highly unlikely that an unsecured personal line of credit will be cheaper than a mortgage.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-04-2009 12:01:50 PM
Basically, no, that's retarded. You can't afford to pay that much interest.

Let me get this straight: You got a $154,000 mortgage without understanding compound interest?

That's a pretty expensive way to learn about compound interest.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 05-04-2009 12:25:38 PM
Take your "APR"

Divide it by 12.
.0031666666 - This is your periodic percentage rate.

Take your balance at the beginning of any month.
$150,000

Multiply it by the periodic percentage rate
$475 - This is the amount of interest you owe that month.

Take your payment.
$700

Subtract the interest you owed that month.
$225 - This is the amount of your payment that went towards your balance.

Take your balance at the beginning of the next month -
$149,775...

Repeat until you've payed off your balance.

Blindy fucked around with this message on 05-04-2009 at 12:26 PM.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 05-09-2009 08:37:07 PM
I'm with Vernaltemptress.

This is far too big a step in your life to trust to an internet forum and limited personal research. Ask someone you trust who's been there. Someone much older with a keen business sense (who bought homes multiple times themselves).

Most of the people on these forums and this thread simply don't have the life experience to help well - the age demographic is too young.

You'll need to go over the numbers with someone who's good with all this. He/she should also be able to take little things into account you may not have thought of.

Examples: Never get a home inspector that your real estate agent recommends. Get your own lawyer - not one that goes through the bank. There will be additional expenses that you aren't used to. Things will break. Things will need to be maintained. Some can be guessed based on the age of the house. Others are just pure chance. Your taxes will be different. There will be closing costs, lawyers fees, and the like. Some of these fees can be reduced by negotiation, others can't. You'll be working with a lot of people. One of them may be a predator- know what to look out for. If it isn't in writing, it doesn't count.

I'm not trying to overwhelm you or say you shouldn't buy the house. I'm simply giving my answer to the advice you are asking for - find someone more experienced than us to help. Believe me, it will be more than worth the hassle in the long run.

I'm also very skeptical of your APR.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 05-09-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-09-2009 09:06:32 PM
you're going to be homeless livin in t-dot soon pal
Number 1 Poster
posted 05-10-2009 11:14:36 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Liam wrote:
you're going to be homeless livin in t-dot soon pal

Guess I have to move to newfieland.

Also the APR is 3.8.

Also Blindy gave the best response.

Also I talked to my mortgage broker and she told me I'm dumb for thinking about using my line of credit.

Also Ares when are you moving in?

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 05-10-2009 12:56:04 PM
I suggest you get someone aside from your mortgage broker to look at the numbers. He doesn't necessarily have your best interest at heart.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-10-2009 02:24:32 PM
quote:
nem-x is SUPER gay got a whole lot of nerve:
Guess I have to move to newfieland.

Also the APR is 3.8.

Also Blindy gave the best response.

Also I talked to my mortgage broker and she told me I'm dumb for thinking about using my line of credit.

Also Ares when are you moving in?

you cant really afford shit all here either sorry bro

Number 1 Poster
posted 05-10-2009 05:32:25 PM
quote:
Ghost of Forums Past stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I suggest you get someone aside from your mortgage broker to look at the numbers. He doesn't necessarily have your best interest at heart.

would a picture of the piece of paper we both signed that I have be enough for you?

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 05-11-2009 09:51:07 AM
... perhaps.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Number 1 Poster
posted 05-11-2009 10:52:00 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Liam!
you cant really afford shit all here either sorry bro

I thought newfieland would have cheap houses because you'd be living in newfieland.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-11-2009 03:52:16 PM
quote:
nem-x is SUPER gay has funnier quote texts than me:
I thought newfieland would have cheap houses because you'd be living in newfieland.

Newfoundland's awesome so shut your dumb mouth mainlander!!!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-12-2009 02:46:36 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabbits doth run and play while Liam gently hums:
Newfoundland's awesome so shut your dumb mouth mainlander!!!

Last (and only) time I was there, the snow on the side of the road was piled higher than the schoolbus they used to take us from the airfield to billeting. By a comfy margin.

I think it was Newfoundland...could've been Labrador...one of those dog places, anyway. Is Goose Bay Labrador or Newfoundland?

Oh, and is it Newfoundland or Newfoundland?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-12-2009 04:32:46 PM
It's actually pronounced New-fin-land, and Goose Bay's in central Labrador, where it's definitely god damn freezing.

How was CFB Goose Bay, anyways? I've never been and I hope to never end up there!

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 05-13-2009 08:08:31 AM
quote:
nem-x is SUPER gay stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
would a picture of the piece of paper we both signed that I have be enough for you?

I'm simply suggesting that you get a lawyer who doesn't work for the bank or at least talk to your father (or some other experienced adult who has your best interest at heart and knows what to look out for) about it. Unfortunately, I doubt that said person exists on these forums.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 05-13-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-13-2009 01:05:10 PM
quote:
Quoth Liam:
It's actually pronounced New-fin-land, and Goose Bay's in central Labrador, where it's definitely god damn freezing.

How was CFB Goose Bay, anyways? I've never been and I hope to never end up there!

That's what I was trying to get at with the second one--good to know the facts, ma'am!

Our airplane diverted into Goose Bay in February after losing an engine and all electrical power, then landing in light snow and blowing all of the tires due to no anti-skid. I think that's about the only reason to go there.

And I certainly don't recommend February! Other than that, I think it's the best military chow hall I've ever been to.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-13-2009 09:31:30 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Bloodsage stammered:
And I certainly don't recommend February! Other than that, I think it's the best military chow hall I've ever been to.

Huh. Better than Pensacola?

Granted, Air Force galleys are probably head and shoulders above Navy.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-13-2009 11:52:54 PM
Not going to lie, most CF bases have pretty great food. Consistently, anyways.

Even during basic, we ate like kings. Silly frou frou fromage? oui monsieur!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-14-2009 01:10:42 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Liam squealed:
Not going to lie, most CF bases have pretty great food. Consistently, anyways.

Even during basic, we ate like kings. Silly frou frou fromage? oui monsieur!

You may have a point there: when I visited Royal Roads Military College way back in the day, I was also impressed by their chow.

So I guess you Canookians are the best at something, after all!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-14-2009 01:57:22 PM
People think I'm wierd for really liking British Army ration packs.

Dry biscuits and boil-in-the-bag 2000 calorie sponge pudding is awesome, I tell ye.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-14-2009 03:07:50 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of Canadian IMP's. We get candy bars! And lots of juice crystals, stuff like that. If it had a pack of smokes in there like the old days, it'd be heaven.
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 05-14-2009 04:33:59 PM
quote:
Mortious was naked while typing this:
People think I'm wierd for really liking British Army ration packs.

Dry biscuits and boil-in-the-bag 2000 calorie sponge pudding is awesome, I tell ye.

Same here. The two times I had some army MRE, I really liked them.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: