EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I played the WAR trial
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2009 09:53:34 AM
Holy shit this is fun. Chaos Chosen of course, the only one that interests me at all.

I'm seriously considering selling my EVE character (5 years old and worth about $800 on eBay) and moving to WAR. I haven't played EVE seriously for almost a year, only loading it up to change skills. It bores me now, I've done everything there is to do and the next expansion doesn't interest me in the slightest.

BUT!

What is there to do in WAR when you reach max level? Are there mechanics in there to keep the game interesting? I'm the kind of guy who only really levels one character and invests everything in them rather then levelling a bunch, so I'd want to remain interested at max level too.

I think it automatically dumped me on a Euro server which I forget the name of, which is nice seeing as I can actually play with people in my timezone.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2009 09:56:15 AM
The whole "Path of blahblahblah" thing confuses me, I know they're masteries and all but it's the "core training" part that confuses me. The skills you can buy there are linked to certain masteries, so why buy.. say.. a skill that is linked to the Path of Discord when you want to go down the Path of Corruption?

Or do the masteries just make those core skills better?

I'M CONFUSED.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-08-2009 10:03:38 AM
Can you give me your ISK before you sell your character?
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2009 10:07:37 AM
quote:
Captain Tarquinn said:
Can you give me your ISK before you sell your character?

If I do, sure.

I only have about 650 million since I stopped running (fucking boring) missions a while ago. I might sell all my ships though too and that would run into the billions, seeing as if I don't want to earn CCP's wrath I should sell only the character on an account transfer basis. That's legal. Selling your actual account is not.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-08-2009 10:08:54 AM
Re: WAR

Yeah, it's a good, maybe even a great game. Too much like WoW for me being able to stand it longer than two weeks though.

Endgame, if they have a proper one implemented yet, is mostly high end PvP battlegrounds and some Raid Dungeons. Tryu to find a good guild for that.

I never really cared about the so called endgame in MMORPGs. It's when the games become boring for me.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-08-2009 10:10:29 AM
quote:
Mortious was naked while typing this:
If I do, sure.

I only have about 650 million since I stopped running (fucking boring) missions a while ago. I might sell all my ships though too and that would run into the billions, seeing as if I don't want to earn CCP's wrath I should sell only the character on an account transfer basis. That's legal. Selling your actual account is not.

That's awesome. Thanks.

I'll gladly take some of your ships, as I am Amarr specced too.

Willias
Pancake
posted 03-08-2009 10:38:21 AM
End game PvE consists of 4 dungeons and city raids (which, oddly enough, aren't PvP based once you capture the city). End game PvP consists of open world Fortress raids, city sieges, and instanced scenarios ala WoW's battlegrounds.

Don't look at the first tier and take it as the whole game. Most people get burnt out on WAR in late Tier 2 and early Tier 3 once levels start coming much more slowly. To add to frustration, class balance shifts every tier. Tanks are very powerful in Tier 1, but don't gain power as fast as DPS classes in the later tiers. A Bright Wizard in Tier 1 can be handled by a tank class fairly easily. A Bright Wizard in Tier 3 can rip your fucking face off if you try to charge in without a healer covering your back.

As for masteries... From levels 1 to 10 you get a new skill every level, and your skills level up every level. From levels 11 to 20, you gain a new skill every other level, you gain a mastery point every other level, and your skills gain a level every other level. To keep a skill at your current level, you have to invest mastery points in the mastery path the skill is affected by. If the skill isn't affected by a mastery path, then it stays at your current level no matter what.

Also, the abilities and tactics shown on each path have to be bought. In other words, when you reach a certain tactic on the path, you don't automatically get it. You have to invest an additional point in the tactic before you actually get it.

Once you get to level 21-40, you get an additional mastery point every level, but you only learn new abilities every 5. Tactics start filling up the other levels rather than new spells or attacks.

Number 1 Poster
posted 03-08-2009 11:07:30 AM
WAR when it was released and everyone was the same level and PQs were farmed like mad. Then it came crashing down and beginning zones were barren and everyone was still doing T3 scenarios so T1 and T2 ones were once every 30 minutes.

Bright Wizards

nem-x
posted 03-08-2009 11:08:11 AM
sell eve account
dont get warhammer

win win

Anklebiter, again.
Pancake
posted 03-08-2009 11:16:26 AM
quote:
Captain Tarquinn got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I am Amarr specced too.

apoc swarm am i rite?

Number 1 Poster
posted 03-08-2009 11:27:07 AM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about the Spice Girls:
sell eve account
dont get warhammer

win win

But they got Choppas now. Choppas!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2009 11:52:43 AM
quote:
nem-x is SUPER gay said:
WAR when it was released and everyone was the same level and PQs were farmed like mad. Then it came crashing down and beginning zones were barren and everyone was still doing T3 scenarios so T1 and T2 ones were once every 30 minutes.

I was on the Euro server last night and there was about a million Chaos dudes swarming around, scenarios every 10 minutes, it was (lol) chaos.

Probably because of the trial accounts, but still.. insanely fun.

Number 1 Poster
posted 03-08-2009 12:19:21 PM
Buy it. Have fun in Tor Anroc
Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-08-2009 01:32:24 PM
quote:
Anklebiter, again. had this to say about pies:
apoc swarm am i rite?

Can't afford a BS, but yes.

Although I picked Amarr because a) they have the best looking sips and b)lasers.

Captain Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 03-08-2009 at 01:33 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2009 02:29:00 PM
quote:
Captain Tarquinn said:
Can't afford a BS, but yes.

Well if I sell my character you'll end up with a fully faction fitted Marauder Battleship (Paladin) fitted with the best sub-officer equipment money can buy. Four Tachyon Beam Laser II's wired to three Amarr Navy Heat Sinks deliver whithering fire to NPC's, which is all you should use a Marauder for anyway. It also has two Tech II rigs, one capacitor and one armour regen amount. Worth about 2 billion ISK.

Although you can't fly it unless you max out all gunnery support skills, mostly Advanced Weapon Upgrades V.

Talonus
Loner
posted 03-08-2009 02:52:18 PM
quote:
Mortious's fortune cookie read:
I was on the Euro server last night and there was about a million Chaos dudes swarming around, scenarios every 10 minutes, it was (lol) chaos.

Probably because of the trial accounts, but still.. insanely fun.

There's the trial and new character classes coming out soon.

Don't waste your money on WAR though, especially if you're going into the game solo. Mythic really fucked up with it. You'll get bored by your 30s.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-08-2009 02:55:57 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Mortious wrote:
Well if I sell my character you'll end up with a fully faction fitted Marauder Battleship (Paladin) fitted with the best sub-officer equipment money can buy. Four Tachyon Beam Laser II's wired to three Amarr Navy Heat Sinks deliver whithering fire to NPC's, which is all you should use a Marauder for anyway. It also has two Tech II rigs, one capacitor and one armour regen amount. Worth about 2 billion ISK.

Although you can't fly it unless you max out all gunnery support skills, mostly Advanced Weapon Upgrades V.

Well, I hope you really enjoy WaR then.

I think I have a special code for an ingame item, some sort of bear cap somewhere. Want it?

Captain Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 03-08-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Captain Tarquinn
Don't Ask
posted 03-08-2009 03:00:14 PM
quote:
Talonus attempted to be funny by writing:

Don't waste your money on WAR though, especially if you're going into the game solo. Mythic really fucked up with it. You'll get bored by your 30s.

I assume it's much better if you haven't played WoW, because the games are so similiar.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2009 03:30:43 PM
I can't stand WoW.

I loved the WAR trial though. To the point of almost not sleeping last night due to playing.

Talonus
Loner
posted 03-08-2009 03:42:38 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Captain Tarquinn wrote:
I assume it's much better if you haven't played WoW, because the games are so similiar.

Actually, its playing DAoC that ruined it for me... and a lot of other people. My expectations were basically DAoC2, not a WoW clone with hints of DAoC.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2009 05:18:10 PM
Granted I'm only level 5 at the moment running around in nothing but a metal breastplate.

Seems fun though and I need something that isn't EVE to fill the time between now and The Old Republic MMORPG.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-08-2009 05:44:30 PM
Level 5 is basically the fun level.

Once you get past Tier 1, the game's flaws become too apparent.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2009 05:59:49 PM
Hmmmmm.

I downloaded the trial again and am going to ride it out to 10 (where the trial caps at) and see if I'm still having fun.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 03-08-2009 06:26:32 PM
Champions online (IE City of X part 2) is supposed to hit in like may or something I think. I'm waiting around for that but have also been pondering selling my eve account.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-08-2009 07:47:05 PM
As a tank you'll feel pretty awesome if you have healer support because you can have like 5 dudes beating on you and not die, but then feel useless once you realize you can't really do anything in RvR either.
Number 1 Poster
posted 03-08-2009 07:53:17 PM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about Cuba:
As a tank you'll feel pretty awesome if you have healer support because you can have like 5 dudes beating on you and not die, but then feel useless once you realize you can't really do anything in RvR either.

I always saw a Tanks job was to either Snare the enemy healers while getting pounded on, or to protect the squishies in the back with their multiple knockbacks, snares, -%damage debuffs, and party buffs. They were never meant to kill anyone outside of T2

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-08-2009 07:53:39 PM
You won't, I guarantee.

In RvR, your role as a tank is purely psychological. If someone is actually attacking you, fantastic. But it only takes one of them to realize you can't do enough damage to hinder them and then you're pretty much worthless except for Guard.

Don't forget that there's basically only one Scenario per tier. Everyone just does one and the others are left to rot.

Not to mention that, if you don't play a Bright Wizard, you don't get to win. Period. BWs have the highest durability, the highest damage and the highest maneuverability.

Basically, if you like it enough to keep playing, reroll a BW now.

Number 1 Poster
posted 03-08-2009 07:56:54 PM
Also don't listen to Parcelan as he is very bitter that Black Orc wasn't 'the best class ever' that he oh so hoped it would be.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-08-2009 08:01:26 PM
Already came up against BW's in the Tier 1 scenario and now proudly wear the title of "The Singed".

I don't want to be anything other than a Chosen. Always loved being the tank, could care less about damage. Shield and axe all the way.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-08-2009 09:16:23 PM
Tier 1 is where everything is fun. Everyone's armor and HP is low enough that tanks can make a difference.

Go up a little and get introduced to roots. See how fun it is.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 03-08-2009 09:19:02 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
You won't, I guarantee.

In RvR, your role as a tank is purely psychological. If someone is actually attacking you, fantastic. But it only takes one of them to realize you can't do enough damage to hinder them and then you're pretty much worthless except for Guard.

Don't forget that there's basically only one Scenario per tier. Everyone just does one and the others are left to rot.

Not to mention that, if you don't play a Bright Wizard, you don't get to win. Period. BWs have the highest durability, the highest damage and the highest maneuverability.

Basically, if you like it enough to keep playing, reroll a BW now.

Actually in the past month the usual "Only" scenario for the tiers has been the one I saw the least... ESPECIALLY Tor Anroc in T3... I was actually MISSING that place after a while.

T4 is especially rotating with zones flipping so regularly locking and unlocking different ones, the old endless Serpents Passages gives way when Dragonwake is getting locked one way or another constantly. Heck, even with the current live event scenario that gives 10% more renown even THAt one isn't showing up regularly since it doesn't contribute towards any zone locks and there is usually an agenda over what people are queuing for to help the ORvR scene.

Tanks in RvR have the psychological role in that anyone dumb enough to try to focus fire them down is just going to get rolled from wasting so much time, but they aren't completely useless when ignored for how badly they can disrupt the support line. As mostly a healer (Been on a BW kick lately so shelved my Runepriest's Sentinel gear work for now) take it from me, a Black orc may hit for as much damage as a balled up wad of bubble wrap (I do vaguely feel bad for their damage output but then watch 5 people take a minute and a half to kill them and stop feeling bad) but simply having him on me crotch shotting me, stunning and taunting me constantly wrecks havoc on my normal healing levels. Forces me to divert more to myself and more importantly locks down my fragile and group heals by the large.

You are at a good time to be levelling up since you are going to be slightly ahead of the levelling curve of the upcoming pile of new Slayers/Choppas which means a crapton more scenarios for you to enjoy.

I really don't know how to respond to the claim that Bright Wizards have the 'highest durability' though. Seriously, we naturally self destruct and our only emergency CC breaks from a stiff breeze. The damage output is through the roof but I go out of my way to target enemy sorcs just because I know how retardedly easy we are to kill.

Fucking squig herders and their fucking horned squigs + plink *grumble*

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 03-08-2009 09:23:32 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

Ahh, k, your rage is making more sense now. The Root Ward effect got fixed ages ago and roots went from bread and butter to something many people don't even waste AP on even in a pinch since they break so rapidly sometimes a running target gains and loses their root so fast they don't even break stride.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-08-2009 09:35:28 PM
Also, Engineer > BW.
Willias
Pancake
posted 03-08-2009 10:46:56 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Tier 1 is where everything is fun. Everyone's armor and HP is low enough that tanks can make a difference.

I'm going to go with what Vorago said over you, because I quit playing after the root thing was fixed.

In a single patch, roots went from being one of the most powerful spells in the game to one of the absolute weakest.

After roots got nerfed, the next big complaint was Destro CC morale abilities, and after that, Knights of the Blazing Sun having some retardedly good auras.

Pretty sure both of those have been nerfed, so I'm not sure what people complain about now class balance wise. I also know that Sorc and Bright Wizard damage was toned down as well, though not so much that they can't absolutely fry someone.

Actually, Mort is probably doing pretty well coming in after patch 1.2, because they apparently buffed up Chosen quite a bit (up to the KotBS's level of power) so things might not suck as much now. I may resub myself to roll up an Orc Choppa because I messed around with one on the PTR, and found that it was very similar to a CoV Brute.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-08-2009 11:10:49 PM
As far as I know, BWs are still the most played class and if there's 3-4 of them in a scenario, Order automatically wins.

Hence, something is still broken.

Willias
Pancake
posted 03-08-2009 11:15:38 PM
Just went and read up on shit on War Alliance aaaannnnndddd...

Supposedly the latest patch fucked shit up again. They apparently nerfed resists, so RDPS is back to being flavor of the month. Meaning Bright Wizards and Sorcs.

At least until Slayers and Choppas anyway.

Willias fucked around with this message on 03-08-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 03-08-2009 11:36:41 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Cuba:
The Old Republic MMORPG.

I can't wait for this, I'll happily join up with another quality guild like Avatars was, I miss it horribly...

I've been goofing around with the SWGEMU, it's really coming along and I think they might actually pull it off the way they've been going.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-09-2009 12:02:56 AM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Just went and read up on shit on War Alliance aaaannnnndddd...

Supposedly the latest patch fucked shit up again. They apparently nerfed resists, so RDPS is back to being flavor of the month. Meaning Bright Wizards and Sorcs.

At least until Slayers and Choppas anyway.

:3

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-09-2009 06:01:29 AM
Welp I'm selling my EVE character regardless because even transferring my shit to Amarr made me bored to tears.

Throw me your character name Tarq (is it still Teclis van'Dreike or however you spell that?) so I can contract my ships to you and send you my ISK. I have three ships you're getting:

• Wrath of God - Paladin-class marauder Tech II battleship.
  • Imperial Salvager - Fully kitted out salvage battlecruiser.
  • Imperial Hauler - Fully kitted out Impel-class Tech II transport.

You'll just have to accept the contract and come get them from the Amarr system once I make it. Or come over and resell them on contract, whatever you want to do with them. I've not sold them myself and just gave you the money because they have very good rigs in them, so that'd be a waste. I've put all my other shit on the market for sale so you may have to wait a few days for that all to go through.

• Captain Tarquinn
    Don't Ask
    posted 03-09-2009 06:31:48 AM
    That's awesome. You're awesome.

The charactername hasn't changed, the one you have in your friendslist is still correct.

I won't sell any of your ships and will keep them save in the empire (except maybe for the Battlecruiser). If you feel like returning to Eve (new char, or whatever), you will get them back.

I think I will rename the Marauder to "Kavol's Legacy".

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: