EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Job Satisfaction.
Mightion Defensor
posted 12-28-2007 09:44:59 PM
It's rare, but it happens.

I get a call an hour ago, from a kid who can't log in - invalid username and password. He says he is the caller's grandson, and "they've never used a password before." There's a note from a previous call that the caller's son was trying to get the password from us. Based on this and other notes, I tell the kid (quite honestly) I can only give the password to the account owner. Who I learn, is out of town.

The password logs showed the kid wasn't even close with all the variations of "Sausage" he typed in, trying to guess the password.

The kid hung up.

But wait, it gets better.

The kid calls back, and gets me again. He then tries to tell me, in a fake voice that he was the account holder, and he needed the password. Now, this wasn't only just fake, it was sitcom-fake. I recognized his voice and asked "Didn't I just speak to you, sir?"

"Yeah...."

"Sir, I told you I can only give the password to the account holder."

"But I really need to get on the internet tonight!"

Now, the rest of my co-workers and just hoping this kid calls back so they can mess with him. (My notes were quite thorough, and we all got a good laugh out of it)

This must be what job satisfaction feels like.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-28-2007 10:11:03 PM
You sure showed him!
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 12-28-2007 10:12:14 PM
One project I was on was bogged down like all hell by ex-employees, lack of support from standards, and incompetence from overseas people who were running it into the ground. I managed to work with the producer and contact the devs, and managed to streamline the Database in a day to a way that actually made sense to them since the overseas testers couldn't write a bug to save their lives. I disciplined my own testers to only write bugs in this format, and the devs stopped listening to anyone but us.

In three weeks I managed to take the project from being a steaming pile of crap to being smooth, polished, and nearly flawless bug wise. It got a first pass, and we came in really under budget. I got taken out to drinks by the producer's boss, as well as all of mine. This was the only time I've ever heard that happening in the company, ever.

That is what job satisfaction is.

Doing the obvious parts of your job is just doing your job.

Gadani
U
posted 12-29-2007 12:09:51 AM
I thought job satisfaction was being content with your job.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-29-2007 12:13:22 AM
quote:
Gadani said:
I thought job satisfaction was being content with your job.

More or less, but ragging on Mightion is the 'in' thing right now.

*beats Mightion with a baseball bat, just to be sociable*

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-29-2007 02:53:59 AM
We ragged on Khyron for the same thing. If you're working in IT, your job is boring, your stories are boring and every time you think something is funny, chances are high that it's just you being a dick.

I'm sure it was fun for Mightion to be the one laughing at someone else, but oh well, here we are.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 12-29-2007 12:04:57 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
We ragged on Khyron for the same thing. If you're working in IT, your job is boring, your stories are boring and every time you think something is funny, chances are high that it's just you being a dick.

I'm sure it was fun for Mightion to be the one laughing at someone else, but oh well, here we are.

At least I've left that all behind me. I'm a manager now. Now I get to tell stories about how I boss people around.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: