EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Let's discuss an issue
Maradon!
posted 09-24-2007 06:43:58 PM
Someone else pick the issue for once.

Want to talk about our genocidal friend Mahmoud Ahmadinejad coming to new york?

Want to talk about congressional democrats accusing General David Petraeus of being a liar when he reported mostly good news in Iraq?

I don't know if my heart is in this. Someone else do the hard part.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-24-2007 06:51:23 PM
President Bush reports good news about Iraq and people call him a liar.
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-24-2007 07:04:07 PM
let's see...

We could come up with nicknames for Iran's dictator (i.e., Ahmadnutjob, Amadamadingdong, Ahmadinnerjacket).

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Maradon!
posted 09-24-2007 07:12:39 PM
How about, Hillary Clinton told CNN's John Roberts in an interview that, if she gets into office, her withdrawal from Iraq would hinge on whether or not we had established stability in the region.

Hillary Clinton.

Said that we wouldn't withdraw until we'd accomplished our mission.

That's all well and good, except that when Petraeus said the same thing she told him to his face that the claim required a "willing suspension of disbelief."

She also voted to use the power of the purse to defund the war.

So Hillary supports unconditional withdrawal when a republican is in office, but not in the hypothetical scenario where she's in office.

I wonder why that might be? Only reason I can think of is that she knows withdrawal will result in the collapse of the middle east and an engineered defeat of the American military and wants that to happen on a Republican's watch.

But that's literally treason, so that can't be right, can it?

Maradon!
posted 09-24-2007 07:21:00 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptressing:
Ahmadinnerjacket

I am never, ever going to call him anything else.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-24-2007 08:21:45 PM
quote:
Maradon!'s fortune cookie read:
blah...blah...blah...

She'll say anything to get elected. She is counting on the voters tendency of selective-hearing, and saying what the voter wants to hear to gain their vote.

In other words, she doesn't have a spine.

Maradon!
posted 09-24-2007 08:28:11 PM
I will grant her that she has more of a spine than any other democratic candidate on the roster currently. She's flirted oddly close to "pro-war" sentiments in the past.

However, that could possibly be because she gets enough money from red china to be able to risk the moveon.org AKA George Soros money that the rest of the candidates depend on.

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 09-24-2007 11:29:20 PM
Edit: Nevermind, I can't do this HTML thing.

Kinanik fucked around with this message on 09-24-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Zair
The Imp
posted 09-25-2007 01:12:41 AM
quote:
Maradon! was listening to Cher while typing:
money from red china

Michelle Malkin is the only attractive conservative.

Discuss.

Zair fucked around with this message on 09-25-2007 at 01:16 AM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-25-2007 01:42:19 AM
NEWS FROM THE FRONT
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-25-2007 01:42:35 AM
halo sucks
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-25-2007 01:54:03 AM
quote:
Maradon! got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I will grant her that she has more of a spine than any other democratic candidate on the roster currently. She's flirted oddly close to "pro-war" sentiments in the past.

However, that could possibly be because she gets enough money from red china to be able to risk the moveon.org AKA George Soros money that the rest of the candidates depend on.

I'm not sure you can count Hilary out of the list of candidates depending on Soros. She was one of the many democrats who voted not to condemn MoveOn.org and the NYT over the General Petraeus ad.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 09-25-2007 08:08:15 AM
let's discuss why american politics are boring now because all your candidates are stupid

the US is like living proof that democracy doesn't work because the more engaged you people get in politics, the stupider you get, and the less you accomplish. does anything even happen in the US anymore, or do you just go around accusing each other of being from the other party?

VOTE RON PAUL

MC Jensizzle fucked around with this message on 09-25-2007 at 08:10 AM.

hey
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-25-2007 08:43:23 AM
The thing is, democracy is only as good as it's citizens.

And we've got some fucking retarded citizens.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-25-2007 08:49:28 AM
Some? Half of them believe that the Biblical story of creation really happened, a quarter to a third believe that the government orchestrated 9/11, and, of course, one fifth of U.S. Americans can't locate America on a map.

While I'm sure that there's significant overlap above, at least half of our country's population is indeed fucking retarded.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 09-25-2007 09:33:23 AM
You can always spot the politically indifferent and ignorant by their disdain for and wildy inaccurate perception of politics.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-25-2007 11:35:39 AM
Classic example
Kinanik
posted 09-25-2007 12:20:04 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress impressed everyone with:
Classic example

If only Hitler were a bit more cuddly, then we probably would have joined with him in WWII. Though to be fair, Churchill is fairly cuddly on his own.

Wow.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 09-25-2007 12:58:34 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress had this to say about Duck Tales:
Classic example

That is genuinely frightning.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 09-26-2007 09:08:32 AM
quote:
Maradon! has a secret obsession with Richard Simmons, as evidenced by...
You can always spot the politically indifferent and ignorant by their disdain for and wildy inaccurate perception of politics.

What are you, 16?

hey
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-26-2007 02:51:37 PM
quote:
MC Jensizzle's fortune cookie read:
What are you, 16?

Are you a libertarian Jens

Are you

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-26-2007 02:57:31 PM
Yeah, him and Ayn Rand.

And Andrew Ryan.

A MAN CHOOSES

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-26-2007 03:19:34 PM
A SLAVE OBEYS
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-26-2007 03:25:45 PM
That's racist, dude. Not cool.

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-26-2007 03:28:57 PM
It's okay, Carl Winslow is an African American.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-26-2007 03:43:57 PM
How do you know that's not Al Powell? Magic?

Beer.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-26-2007 03:48:19 PM
quote:
Karnaj painfully thought these words up:
How do you know that's not Al Powell? Magic?

Al Powell liked twinkies, Carl Winslow was all about the donuts.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-26-2007 04:43:18 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:
Al Powell liked twinkies, Carl Winslow was all about the donuts.

Those were for his wife. She was pregnant.

Beer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-26-2007 04:58:06 PM
The DailyKos: Proving that crazies exist on both sides of the aisle.
Maradon!
posted 09-26-2007 06:10:57 PM
quote:
x--NaimahO-('-'Q) :
The DailyKos: Proving that crazies exist on both sides of the aisle.

You know that every single democratic presidential candidate for 2008 attended the Daily KOS convention this year, right?

There are crazies on both sides of the aisle all right, but on the left they comprise the core constituency with a fringe of moderates.

Demos
Pancake
posted 09-27-2007 11:49:58 AM
quote:
Maradon! Model 2000 was programmed to say:
You know that every single democratic presidential candidate for 2008 attended the Daily KOS convention this year, right?

There are crazies on both sides of the aisle all right, but on the left they comprise the core constituency with a fringe of moderates.

I guess the "jesus freak" base on the other side doesn't count? Don't get me wrong, both sides do obviously have their retards, but to make a sweeping generalization like saying "most democrats are fringe crazy pinko-commies" is pretty retarded. There are plenty of large voting blocks among the democrats that wouldn't be automatically considered crazy - such as labor unions (whether or not they have a place in modern society is another topic entirely, so don't derail on this) and African-Americans.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 09-27-2007 01:39:00 PM
quote:
In a disastrous attempt to be funny and clever, Mr. Parcelan wrote:
Are you a libertarian Jens

Are you

RON PAUL

hey
Kinanik
posted 09-28-2007 04:38:20 AM
REVOLUTION
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-28-2007 07:38:20 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
Hillary Clinton

The thing about the whole Petraeus report was that he and the ambassador seemed to accent the good things (which is fine), but failed to point out the ongoing problems. It's one of those minutia points. Hil can still say "we'll leave when the region is stable" blah blah blah because it insinuates she has some idea how to bring that about, and leaves her free to criticize how Bush is handling things.

The really irritating thing about Petraeus' report was the cynicism it engendered. When Bush pushed the surge, and people were concerned where he was heading with it (keep in mind, Bush for a while there didn't like being backed into a corner about it being necessarily temporary), he said "Wait until we hear how it's going". Everyone KNEW that it wasn't REALLY going to be a full report. I knew it was going to be even more of a load when the first thing (practically) that the General said was that he hadn't spoken to the White House about what he was about to say to the Committee. (Turns out they had a copy of his speaking notes that he gave them, but he maintains he didn't consult with them on what he was going to say, which I believe for cynical reasons.) The man has honor. The man is doing a job we all KNOW is virtually impossible to accomplish. We KNOW he's being forced into a mouthpiece situation like every other general the administration has tapped (including former generals like Powell). He could have skipped the "look at our progress!" pap and given people the hard facts. Instead he accented the positive and downplayed the negative. If I'm in the emergency room, I don't want the doctor to mitigate bad news by telling me that at least I get to keep my hair. It's irritating.

And I loathe Hillary Clinton. My friend Steve wants her to win just so we get Bill back in the spotlight, which would be amusing, but she's just...gah. At least Obama is tossing some (comparitively) drastic statements out there, like the comment about *GASP* talking to some of these people we've maintained little diplomatic communication with.

As for the Middle East, I doubt there's much we can do there at the moment. In the end, I think Iraq is going to inevitably be a stage for the Saudis, Iranians, and whoever else to play out their sectarian strife on. The United States will end up in a damage control role (at best). And if those idiots in Israel pick a fight with Iran...ugh.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-28-2007 11:35:22 AM
May I pick a new issue for discussion?

Beer.

Lazzay
omg mack attack :(
posted 09-28-2007 12:58:23 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael obviously shouldn't have said:

As for the Middle East, I doubt there's much we can do there at the moment. In the end, I think Iraq is going to inevitably be a stage for the Saudis, Iranians, and whoever else to play out their sectarian strife on. The United States will end up in a damage control role (at best). And if those idiots in Israel pick a fight with Iran...ugh.

Wait a minute, who is picking a fight with whom? Which country is it that is funding a terrorist organization to send rockets into the other on a daily basis? If memory serves me correctly, Ehud Olmert hasn't ever said that Israel's divine mission is to wipe Iran off the map.

Jesus Christos, when did Israel-bashing on the left become so popular? Why are so-called 'liberals' marrying with neo-fascist states and organizations against the only democratic republic in the region?

Ugh indeed.

one two three fo let me see that tootsie roll
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 09-28-2007 01:22:47 PM
This is why I tend to stay out of political discussion.. Half the shit, I don't understand because it goes against the law of MAKING FUCKING SENSE.

The other half involves a great deal of paying attention to boring shit, and I don't have the patience. In the end, whoever gets elected won't do everything, and will do shit wrong. Other people will crucify them, or praise them into canonization. As such, and with the issues I had with the previous election, and not understanding how.. the guy who won the popular vote could lose the election.. I mean.. really.. what the fuck?

Anyway. I had a discussion the other day with the girlfriend, about Lewis Carroll. It seems that she is of the mind that he was a pedo who raped little kids and took pictures. Myself, I see it as the image people have of Carroll today, is skewed as he did not live today. The morals and cultures of Victorian England were far different than they are now. The rumors of his alleged sexual exploration with children, that he stammered around adults,and was only comfortable with small children, didn't arise until years after his death. And the defined age of a child is also much different today than it was then.

Yes, he did photograph young people in varied states of undress. However, he also photographed a shitload of other shit. Like lizards, and doggies and stuff. Nobody accuses him of fucking the pets or the local foliage. However, there were far more rumors at the time of him courting Alice's older sister, and banging her governess.

How does this tie into the topic at hand?

Easy. Neither the girlie or I were arguing the whole truths. We were actually arguing two sides of the same thing, while ignoring valid points of the other side, as well as other aspects of Carrolls life. It was a pointless argument because of this.

However.. It was entertaining because it was a discussion of applied culture and morals and ethics and shit from today, forced upon times long past. As opposed to acceptance of the morals and culture of times past.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-28-2007 07:00:49 PM
Voting for Clinton is exactly like voting for Bush. You will be supporting the same policies and the same ideas with the same results, except with different execution.

The rich will be heavily taxed, the poor will be heavily supported; the middle class will still be fucked.

Clinton has no desire to end the divisiveness in American politics; she'd much rather make the divide between Democrat and Republican even more than it is.

Clinton is violently pro-censorship of all things.

Clinton has no idea on how to end the war or further healthcare.

Her platform, as such, is: "Vote for me because I'm the opposite of Bush." She's kicking it a step up from Kerry's failed idea.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-28-2007 08:35:54 PM
quote:
Lazzay had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Wait a minute, who is picking a fight with whom? Which country is it that is funding a terrorist organization to send rockets into the other on a daily basis? If memory serves me correctly, Ehud Olmert hasn't ever said that Israel's divine mission is to wipe Iran off the map.

Jesus Christos, when did Israel-bashing on the left become so popular? Why are so-called 'liberals' marrying with neo-fascist states and organizations against the only democratic republic in the region?

Ugh indeed.

First off...

Israel has, since it's origin, had a mentality of "we are a tiny country surrounded by enemies who want us destroyed" and for a long time, that was true. However, Egypt and Jordan (Israel's neighbors, both Islamic nations) have both-signed non-aggression treaties. Also keep in mind that even countries who'd rather Israel didn't exist but harbor no direct plan to attack (Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, etc) are more concerned with the Palestinian situation than they are with wiping Israel off the map. In fact, in that area of the world it's generally only Iran's President who outwardly does such definitively insane things like deny the Holocaust and declare his desire to wipe Israel off the map. By all indications, the populace of Iran doesn't want that; they don't even like Ahmadinnerjacket that much. Syria doesn't want that, save for it's own kooks. The only GROUPS of people who want Israel gone are extremist groups, and elements of the Iranian government (Ahmadinnerjacket and his Republican GoonSquad, for instance).

Israel, on the other hand, has slipped. They used to have Mossad, which they employed to maximum effect. Now they practically carpet bomb large areas of civilian-held territory (Lebanon!) to try and make people stop lobbing clumsy rockets over the border into mostly-unoccupied territory that Israel is illegally holding in the first place. Now said rocket-lobbers ARE insane assholes, but Israel has no concept of balanced reciprocal response. While it may be satisfying to bomb things back to the stone age, at least the United States wields it's bombing runs like a scalpel rather than the gratuitous excess of violence Israel tends to display. Likewise, regarding things like Palestine, for every step people like Ariel Sharon (who finally came to his senses) try to make in setting up a two-state solution, you have people like Benjamin Netenyahu (who's name I have likely butchered horribly), who demonstrate an appallingly-unrecalcitrant militant-theocratic mentality of "our way or no way" which of course gives all the crazies more to feed on. Keep in mind, most of the countries in the Middle East (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Kuwait, etc) are desperately trying to put down these kooks on their own turf. It isn't these governments trying to hurt Israel, it's them preferring that Israel be hurt rather than their own innocents.

And every time Israel goes off half-cocked with threats or militant actions in Palestinian territories that result in civilian casualties and an even more dire humanitarian aid disaster in those locations, the United States is inevitably drawn into an argument (as often as not by Israel) over whether or not Israel is right. It costs us social currency with the world and pisses EVERYONE (even our Western European allies) off when we blindly cover for Israel. Israel acts like a mouthy younger sibling who picks fights with bullies with no care for how it would resolve things were it on it's own, because Israel assumes that the United States will always give them an alternative to the brinksmanship Israel gets itself into.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-28-2007 08:56:23 PM
Jordan and Egypt aren't the ones attacking directly, but allowing terrorist cells to attack Israel with impunity and without hindrance from their countries.

Lebanon allows Syria to dictate its politics so that it, too, is forced to allow terrorists to attack through its countries.

Israel makes no distinction between terror cells and countries that allow them to act through them.

Tread carefully.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: