EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: This is how to NOT do viral marketing
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-12-2006 05:42:15 PM
For the non SA Games Forum reading crowd

Though, in a way, it does get the PSP in people's minds. So, while the ad campaign is absolutely horrible, maybe that was sony's intention.

Anyways, read through this -- it is such a train wreck.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 12-12-2006 07:48:27 PM
quote:
there are a lot of things u can be doing with your hands, most of which are less attractive or more annoying than playing a psp. we reco doing these 13 things around whoever you want to get you one. as they'll find out, playing a psp is a much nicer alternative.

1. use your palms to play everything like a drum: your legs, kitchen counters, tables, the wall – pretty much any and everything
2. turn on the radio and wave glowsticks like ya just don't care
3. when someone walks into a room, clap uncontrollably for at least 8 minutes
4. constantly challenge others to thumb wrestling matches
5. pick your nose and/or scratch your ass
6. use them for nothing at all: simply hang them at your side, as if they were paralyzed from lack of playing
7. take up a woodworking hobby; do loud work when others are still sleeping
8. squeeze your pet's “squeak toy" – even when the pet's not around
9. brush your teeth – all the time
10. whenever speaking, use your hand (like a puppet) to mimic everything you say
11. start knitting
12. tap your fingernails against the closest surface at all times – but act like this is perfectly normal behavior
13. open your arms for an embrace every time you see someone familiar; mid-hug, rub their back with your hands aggressively

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 12-12-2006 08:46:39 PM
You've got to be kidding me... WTF!
What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-13-2006 12:43:46 AM
I saw this.

It was, in fact, terrible.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-13-2006 12:49:33 AM
I dunno, it seems to be working pretty well.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 12-13-2006 01:04:59 AM
quote:
Pvednes had this to say about Captain Planet:
I dunno, it seems to be working pretty well.

By what definition?

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-13-2006 02:22:04 AM
quote:
Mooj's account was hax0red to write:
By what definition?

We're talking about it.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-13-2006 02:24:30 AM
quote:
Pvednes enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
We're talking about it.

True, we're talking about it. But, does it make us want to buy the product, or to avoid the product? If it's the second, then having more people talking about it is actually harmful to their sales.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-13-2006 02:31:41 AM
quote:
Pvednes's account was hax0red to write:
We're talking about it.

Shit like this I don't understand. People really don't go man that commerical for PSP was really gay...I want one now!

If you wanted a PSP, you wanted it already. If you didn't, this sure ain't gonna help. It's not like no one knows about the PSP already.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-13-2006 03:19:23 AM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough had this to say about dark elf butts:
Shit like this I don't understand. People really don't go man that commerical for PSP was really gay...I want one now!

If you wanted a PSP, you wanted it already. If you didn't, this sure ain't gonna help. It's not like no one knows about the PSP already.

Creating the urge to own a product is just one of the functions of advertisements, the other, and perhaps more important one is to put the product into peoples' minds, that they are aware of it if they were not before, or to remind them of the product.

For example, people going to a supermarket to buy butter. If they don't have a certain brand in mind, they will most likely go for the one they have heard about before.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-13-2006 04:06:47 AM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Tron:
For example, people going to a supermarket to buy butter. If they don't have a certain brand in mind, they will most likely go for the one they have heard about before.

Or the one that is cheapest.

While it is indeed a function of advertising, putting an incredibly negative image in the minds of consumers is nowhere near as good as no image at all.

Take the PSP vs DS debate. PSP is, what, $199 for just the system new while the DS is $129. Those that are going to likely see this ad, people who already know a bit about gaming, are likely going to think the ad is dumb. The alternative is 70 bucks cheaper and more likely of a success when begging parents for a system for Christmas.

Now, if the products were somewhat equal and the ad campaign was run on TV in general, it may work since the non-gamer crowd would be exposed. It would be in the minds of parents when they go out shopping and they might randomly grab their kid one not knowing much about it.

So, pretty much, it could be an effective ad but one MAJOR aspect of advertising was missed out on here -- the audience. They picked the wrong one to target.

Tarquinn
posted 12-13-2006 04:31:24 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Or the one that is cheapest.

While it is indeed a function of advertising, putting an incredibly negative image in the minds of consumers is nowhere near as good as no image at all.

Take the PSP vs DS debate. PSP is, what, $199 for just the system new while the DS is $129. Those that are going to likely see this ad, people who already know a bit about gaming, are likely going to think the ad is dumb. The alternative is 70 bucks cheaper and more likely of a success when begging parents for a system for Christmas.

Now, if the products were somewhat equal and the ad campaign was run on TV in general, it may work since the non-gamer crowd would be exposed. It would be in the minds of parents when they go out shopping and they might randomly grab their kid one not knowing much about it.

So, pretty much, it could be an effective ad but one MAJOR aspect of advertising was missed out on here -- the audience. They picked the wrong one to target.

Yeah, but the point is, we are talking about it. This ad will not stop people from buying a PSP if they wanted one before, but it is very likely that the discussion will reach people who haven't heard or thought of a PSP before. On this board, this ad will not have much effect, but on other boards or parts of the net, not all people are avid gamers, and they will come into contact with the PSP perhaps for the first time because of this. And this results in at leas t a few more PSPs to be sold.

I agree, a bad emotional reaction to a product is not something a company wants, a neutral or positive one is much more desirable, and I am sure that this ad will achieve that too. I, for example aren't nearly as appalled by this tactic than some of you are. Also, keep in mind that this advertisement blog was probably really cheap for Sony.

nem-x
posted 12-13-2006 06:40:41 AM
we all need to post in the sa thread so we can become e-famous
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-13-2006 07:53:26 AM
quote:
nem-x wrote this stupid crap:
we all need to post in the sa thread so we can become e-famous

i dont got 10 bux

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-13-2006 09:11:21 AM
I highly doubt this is many people's first contact with the PSP. Sure, a few may have been living under a rock and missed all the ads on TV over the past year and a half, but I'd be willing to bet anyone finding out about this ad campaign now is going to have heard about it already.

Had Sony released the PSP around Christmas last year and run this ad last year, things may have been different. But the system has been out for over a year and a half; it is already pretty well known about.

I'm more put off by the fact that sony is trying to target the gamer audience and sees us all as total idiots -- what these guys come across as. They're trying to be hip and cool and they're pretty damned incapable of pulling that off, at least with this ad campaign. you can't just sit there and talk in half-assed leetspeak and expect to be successful.

Tarquinn
posted 12-13-2006 09:24:54 AM
I agree, but this will still help them to sell more PSPs in all likelihood. So, mission accomplished.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-13-2006 12:20:11 PM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Duck Tales:
I agree, but this will still help them to sell more PSPs in all likelihood. So, mission accomplished.

What? How?

You proved nothing.

Tarquinn
posted 12-13-2006 01:26:15 PM
I admit that's just an opinion. It remains to be seen if it actually will work, but I think it is very likely.

Alas, we will probably never be able to prove if I am correct or wrong with my assessment.

Greenlit
posted 12-13-2006 01:29:31 PM
I miss the TV commercials with the ghetto squirrels. I actually liked those.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-13-2006 01:58:03 PM
quote:
Greenlit was listening to Cher while typing:
I miss the TV commercials with the ghetto squirrels. I actually liked those.

Me too. They were pretty cool.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 12-13-2006 03:53:18 PM
Once again, someone seems to think that the point of advertising is to just put the thought of a product into someone's head.

Wrong.

The point of advertising has been and always will be to get someone to part with their money in exchange for a product. This PSP advertising fails to do that, and the demographic that they're trying to reach out to with this is more likely to be insulted by it than impressed by it.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-13-2006 05:37:41 PM
Of course, not every add has to accomplish every facet of the ultimate advertising goal. It seems quite logical for a major company to have ads designed to increase awareness only, ads designed to tout the bennies, ads designed to denigrate the competition--all separate, but working toward different parts of a shared goal.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 12-13-2006 06:01:54 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Of course, not every add has to accomplish every facet of the ultimate advertising goal. It seems quite logical for a major company to have ads designed to increase awareness only, ads designed to tout the bennies, ads designed to denigrate the competition--all separate, but working toward different parts of a shared goal.

Once again, Bloodsage pwnz my initial point.

I do feel, though, that this attempt at viral advertising, much like Sony's last one, does not meet any advertising goal. Rather, it seems only to offend the consumers that they're trying to reach.

I could be mistaken, of course, but I have no heard of anyone being swayed to buy a PSP or not buy a DS by way of this attempted gimmick OR the pathetic graffiti advertising that Sony tried a year or so ago.

Mooj fucked around with this message on 12-13-2006 at 06:02 PM.

The Berserker
Pancake
posted 12-13-2006 09:46:23 PM
Well, Sony just owned up for faking this.
"Return of the Berserker"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: